judyinthesky: Overly sensitive to ADs?

judyinthesky

Hi!

I was wondering what could be the reason for my hypersensitivity to any AD I try. You guys are clever so you could know.

I have tried SSRI, Mirtazapine etc. and I notice effects of these drugs, with quite typical effects and side-effects, usually on 1/8 or 1/4 of a dose and within a day or two.

This is something I don't understand, and also it makes me slightly puzzled - I know myself and start low, but if I would take what my docs have prescribed me I could not do it at all.

Anyone having a similar experience? Cheers

• manymoretodays changed the title to judyinthesky: Overly sensitive to ADs?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, judyinthesky.

Some people are just hypersensitive to AD's (and that may be a blessing in disguise).  They're systems know (wisely) that this type of drug is not good for them. This link may be helpful:

Wondering why you cannot tolerate antidepressants? SSRIs ...

Have you stayed on any of these drugs longer than a month and then tapered off very fast or cold turkey?  If so, some of your sensitivity could be due to withdrawal.  

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Another explanation is that due to the adverse effect you described after a  day or two of taking an AD, your system became sensitized, and with each new drug and each adverse effect your system became more and more sensitized.  This process is known as kindling.

Limbic Kindling -- Hardwiring the brain for hypersensitivity - In ...

We are a site for withdrawing from psychiatric drugs and dealing with withdrawal from those drugs.  If there is any way we can help you along those lines, please let us know.  Are you on an AD's now?

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you for your response, appreciate it!

No, I have not stayed on any more than 3 days, actually! I also feel when they are going out of my system, a little comedown so to say, but I wonder why I only need 1/8 of that, or why that seems to be the aquivalent to what most people take - and then they do not tend to feel it within those short days! Not that I am proud of being different, I just would like to know what is going on, and whether someone has any idea. I am going to ask psych about it as well. 

I have thought about the kindling. But would that also explain why I just need tiny tiny amounts? I do not only feel adverse effects, but also the expected effects. Let's say I take Mirtazapine, and I feel good on day 2. I will do more reading on this.

I am trying to get on an antidepressant because I have EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency), and it is hard for me with a gut system off to not feel it in my brain.

But it is so hard to find one, and I need to take FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR LESS than what docs say I should. Hm!

However I am also not sure at the moment whether this is the right path.

Thanks a lot!