cm1212: Lexapro nightmare

cm1212

Hello,

I started lexapro for mild social anxiety and was on it for 6 years (3 of those years I was on 60mg which I found out later was 3x the Max dose). I never had any issues on the medicine if I skipped a dose or went up or down in dosage. I abruptly stopped taking it about 2 years ago and had horrible withdrawal symptoms. I went right back on the medicine but was never able to have coffee after that and had palpitations. After that scare I wanted to get off the medicine so last year starting in January i weaned down from 10mg to 0mg in a 4 month period. I never had any issues while tapering off. Then in June (3 months after stopping) one day I randomly felt 2 sharp electric shocks in my head while reading and started to have an onslaught of symptoms after. Dizziness (feeling like a bobble head when walking), extreme fatigue, heart issues which caused me to go to ER a few times, sensitiviy to noise, visual disturbances etc. I went to many doctors and everything was normal. In September my symptoms got progressively worse to the point where I had to move back home to my parents. For the past 2.5 months I have basically been bed ridden am developing POTs type symptoms and have extreme fatigue and dizziness. I tried taking Xanax for 3 days in September, lexapro for 4 days at 1mg in nov and this past weekend I took Zoloft at 25mg for two days and I had a bad reaction to each, especially the Zoloft. I now have brain zaps and shocky like sensations whenever I move my head or eyes. I wanted to get advice to see if this sounds like it’s attributed to lexapro as every doctor has assured me it’s not and if so, if there’s any hope for healing. Thanks.

2012-2019 lexapro

2012-2013 Xanax (whilst starting lexapro and as needed)

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, CM212.  I'm sorry you feeling so bad and also sorry about the unconscionable amount of Lexapro you were prescribed.  Yes, what you are suffering from is withdrawal and yes, there is hope for healing, but it's going to take some time and, unfortunately, we can't predict how long it will take.  It will be a slow and often frustrating process, I'm sorry to say, but you will heal.

Doctors know nothing about withdrawal and, believing what the drug companies tell them, don't believe it exists.  The symptoms you describe are very typical withdrawal symptom stemming from your  very fast taper from 10mg to zero in four months.  We recommend tapering by no more the 10% of your current dose every four weeks.  Some have to taper more slowly.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Your system is very sensitized, which would explain your bad reaction to the Xanax and Lexapro you tried in September and the Zoloft this past weekend.  I would not suggest you try any more antidepressants.  Your system needs a rest.

Experiencing withdrawal symptoms for the first time three months after stopping an antidepressant is very common and something we see quite often. So that you have a better understanding of what you're experiencing, here is some information about withdrawal and healing.

Your symptoms are known and acknowledged as common in withdrawal from SSRI medications and other neuro-psycho-active substances. Please read:

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF)

Here is a link on withdrawal-related POTS.

brot30: ME/CFS and POTS - Surviving Antidepressants

When we take psychiatric medications such as Lexapro, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

We recommend using non-drug coping skill to help deal with withdrawal.  Take a look at the links in the following link and see which technique you thing may be of benefit to you.

Non-drug techniques to cope

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (magnesium glycerinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

We recommend a healthy diet, drinking plenty of water, getting mild exercise if you can.  Avoid alcohol, caffeine, sugar and stress.

You''ll find the moderators and members here to be a sympathetic, supportive and knowledgable group, and I encourage you to read around the site and comment, if you wish, on others' threads. If you're in need of a ray of hope,  I suggest you look at the Success Soties section on this site's main page, about 3/4 down

This is your Introduction thread, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Altostrata changed the title to cm1212 Lexapro Nightmare
  • Administrator

Welcome, CM.

That sounds like delayed withdrawal syndrome, which is not common but we do see it here. Your nervous system was still vulnerable from going off the drug, and something set it off.

Before these symptoms started, did you start any new drugs, get treatment with an antibiotic, or perhaps drink alcohol?

What happened when you took Xanax? At what dose?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello,

No I didn’t do anything different when this happened. I had just come back from a week long vacation in France so was quite relaxed. I did drink alcohol but nothing more than I typically would.

I took 25mg I believe for 3 days in Oct. I had taken it several times before when I started the lexapro so I wanted to see if taking the Xanax helped but it didn’t make me calm like it usually does and after I stopped taking it I had a sort of mania type response which I had never experienced before.

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

• 2 months later...

@Gridley It’s been a year since I stopped lexapro and unfortunately I don’t seem to be doing any better. I know the 2 doses of Zoloft didn’t help as things became progressively worse then but is it normal to not have any windows at this point? I just want one day where I feel somewhat normal but it’s just constant misery. My main symptoms are fuzzy and blurry vision, fuzzy/buzzing head, tinnitus, vertigo/balance issues (like I am walking in a funhouse), zappy sensations in head, general feeling of fatigue/malaise, nonstop feeling of impending doom, dp/dr, brain has trouble concentrating on moving objects, chest pain, PVCs, GI issues, etc etc.

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

• Moderator Emeritus
38 minutes ago, CM1212 said:

I don’t seem to be doing any better.

I'm sorry you're not doing well, CM.  The symptoms you describe are typical withdrawal symptoms.  There really is no ""normal" in withdrawal, but I would say it's not unusual to be a year out with no relief.  It will come in time, but unfortunately we can't predict when.

Protracted Withdrawal or PAWS (post-acute withdrawal ...

Did you ever try the magnesium or omegas I mentioned in my first post?  Many members find them calming.  If you do try them, try one at a time and at a low dose to start.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks so much for your swift response.

Yes I take omega 3s but don’t really notice a difference. I also had to go on a beta blocker bc my HR wasn’t going down but I am now only taking 1/8 of the lowest dose. 

Based on your experience Have you seen people with my symptoms this bad a year out still go on to recover?

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

@Gridley reposting the above and tagging you (not sure if I have to do this each time for you to get the notification, if not sorry to be annoying!)

Thanks so much for your swift response.

Yes I take omega 3s but don’t really notice a difference. I also had to go on a beta blocker bc my HR wasn’t going down but I am now only taking 1/8 of the lowest dose. 

Based on your experience Have you seen people with my symptoms this bad a year out still go on to recover?

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

• Moderator Emeritus
37 minutes ago, CM1212 said:

Absolutely, yes.

37 minutes ago, CM1212 said:

tagging you

It is helpful to tag me.  I try to keep an eye out but tagging makes sure I see your post and is not at all annoying..

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had the symptom where it is hard for their eyes/vision to focus on things, for instance when I scroll up and down on my phone screen my brain has a hard time processing this movement. It’s a bit hard to explain, but if someone has experienced this have you had this go away? Sorry I’ve just been having a really difficult week.

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

• Moderator Emeritus
6 minutes ago, CM1212 said:

it is hard for their eyes/vision to focus on things,

Vision problems are a common withdrawal symptom, as are cognitive difficulties in processing information.  They, like other withdrawal symptoms, fade with time.  You can Google SurvivingAntidepressants.org vision problems for several topics on this subject.

I'm sorry you're having a bad week, CM.  I hope you feel better soon.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

hey there, CM.

i also tapered off of lexapro in a similar period of time and had very similar symptoms, albeit more recently. various things will still 'flare up' for me, too.

re: vision issues, i have had this recently as well. anecdotally, they have abated after a couple of days of rest/taking things easy. during these flare-ups, it has been very helpful for me to mentally work through it and convince myself that it's okay (after i have been checked by professionals!) obviously that's easier said than done, especially in times like these. magnesium has also been helpful when i take it consistently.

take things slowly and take care of yourself, i hope that you start to feel better.

lexapro 20mg started Oct 2016 - taper began June 2019, completed Jan 2020

geodon 20mg started Oct 2016 - taper began June 2019, completed Sept 2019

trileptal 300mg started Feb 2017 - taper began Feb 2019, completed May 2019

12.5mg hydroxyzine for allergies and anxiety. 0.5mg ativan as needed.

adderall prescribed to as a child, unsure of type, dosage, and length

supplements: magnesium glycinate/succinate, 0.2mg melatonin

ASD and proudly weird. IANAD!

• ChessieCat changed the title to CM1212: Lexapro Nightmare
  • 1 year later...

3 years and not much better. This is surreal. I thought for sure I would be back to a somewhat normal life by now...

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

My balance issues have improved slightly. My vision issues are still as bad as day 1. It’s super frustrating. I just want to see clearly. I still can’t walk much either without getting fatigued and buzzing :/

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

• 5 months later...

I was starting to get out a little bit and was seeing small improvements. This past week I had to take an antibiotic for a chest infection and the first day I had an extreme reaction- had EXTREME akathisia and unwanted thoughts (which I've never had previously). Thus, I had to stop taking it and it turns out I didn't even need the antibiotic in the first place when I went back to a different doctor.  I am now left with a lot of damage and symptoms I didn't have prior including intrusive thoughts, minor akathisia, sensory/auditory distortion/overload. For the past 3 years I have not taken any medicine, drank alcohol or coffee or done anything except primarily lay on my couch and work from home. I just can't believe that now after 2 days all of that healing is ruined and I am back to square 1 (even worse). I used to be able to push through working from home and now after the damage from this reaction I cannot even do that so not sure what I'm going to do. I am feeling extremely defeated. I just cannot believe this. I don't know what to do.

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

@Altostrata I'm 3.5 years off of lexapro and I had been slowly healing (not even close to 100%) but healed enough to where I could go to work 2-3 days a week and get out a little bit. I took amoxicillin last week and after the first day I had a severe akathisia reaction and had to stop taking it. The severe akathisia has died down and I'm left with extreme internal panic and fear, auditory/visual/sensory sensitivity, extreme light sensitivity, intrusive thoughts, etc. I have never had akathisia or these mental symptoms before. Do you know if with an antibiotic reaction that the symptoms typically go away quicker? I am completely devastated this happened and not sure what to do as I cannot work in this state

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

2 hours ago, CM1212 said:

@Altostrata I'm 3.5 years off of lexapro and I had been slowly healing (not even close to 100%) but healed enough to where I could go to work 2-3 days a week and get out a little bit. I took amoxicillin last week and after the first day I had a severe akathisia reaction and had to stop taking it. The severe akathisia has died down and I'm left with extreme internal panic and fear, auditory/visual/sensory sensitivity, extreme light sensitivity, intrusive thoughts, etc. I have never had akathisia or these mental symptoms before. Do you know if with an antibiotic reaction that the symptoms typically go away quicker? I am completely devastated this happened and not sure what to do as I cannot work in this state

It is a setback from amoxicillin which is common .. but don't worry it is temporary 🙏🌸

There is not drugs that cause long lasting effects as AD 

don't panic i know it is so difficult but try as much as possible to keep calm so that ur body restabilze again after amoxacilin 

U may find vagus nerve stimulation excercises beneficial it helps the body to be in a resting state (parasympathetic nervous system on)

Maybe the AB has distrupted the normal flora to some extent u can correct this by taking a natural probiotics ( my sister was taking vibramycin and has caused here severe stomach pain and it has disappeared only after she stopped it and started eating yoghurt and yeast )

Stay strong dear 💞

Sep 2019  Escitalopram 5 mg  

Mar 2020   Escitalopram 40mg

May 2020    Escitalopram 35 mg+25mg Clompiramine 

Sep 2020  Escitalopram 20mg +25mg Clompiramine

Dec 2020  Escitalopram 15mg+ 25 mg Clompiramine 

Jan 2021 Escitalopram 10 mg + 25 mgClompiramine 

Feb 2021 Escitalopram 5mg +25 mgClompiramine 

Mar 2021  50 mg Clompiramine for few days 

Mar 2021 25 mg Clompiramine 

Apr 2021 0 mg Clompiramine " this step without consulting the Dr"

thanks @Lilly998 I genuinely hope this is short lived as the symptoms are excruciating (I didn't think WD could be worse than I had before but guess I was wrong!). I hope I am back to my old baseline very soon.

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

• ChessieCat changed the title to CM1212: Lexapro nightmare
  • Administrator

I'm sorry you had this reaction to amoxicillin, @cm1212 We have seen that antibiotics might revive withdrawal syndrome.

Hang in there, your system will calm down again. Are you able to get gentle exercise, such as walking?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

thanks @Altostrata for responding, it means a lot. Is it normal for an AB to bring symptoms that I've never had previously in my WD? (like akathisia, extreme mental symptoms- panic/terror/fear/intrusive thoughts). Also will this bring me back to square 1 in terms of healing and greatly extend my recovery?

Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just super bummed/exacerbated by this. Re exercise- I can't leave my apartment due to the intense mental symptoms (which has never happened before) but have been pacing around my apartment.

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

• Administrator

Yes, we've had people reporting very bad neuro-type reactions to antibiotics. Your nervous system will slowly settle down, as before.

Have you tried magnesium and fish oil?

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

You might try a low dose of one at a time to see what it does for you.

thanks @Altostrata I hope it settles down soon as symptoms are severe. No I haven't tried those yet but am afraid of taking anything at the moment.

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

• ChessieCat changed the title to cm1212: Lexapro nightmare

I tried to go to the doctor this morning and I got in an uber and immediately had to turn around my agrophobia/panic/fear/intrusive thoughts and distortion were too strong. I genuinely do not know what to do. I've never had this before and I obviously cannot function in this state. Its been over a week since I took the antibiotic and just feel like I'm getting worse.

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

@Altostrata apologies to tag you again. Unfortunately my infection is worse and I will probably need to go to the hospital today and I am terrified I will need antibiotics. I don't think I can take antibiotics because my reaction was SO bad to amoxicillin which I am still really struggling with. I am afraid I will end up sectioned in a mental hospital if they give me antibiotics again. I don't know what to do.

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

If you have a bad infection, it probably will need to be treated with antibiotics. Be sure the doctors identify the infection before prescribing. Tell them you had a bad reaction and ask them for the antibiotic with the least adverse effects.

• 3 weeks later...

Update- It's been 1 month since my AB reaction and my symptoms are still super intense and unbearable. I cannot go back to work or do things I was able to do prior to my reaction. Am feeling distraught that this will go on for months. Not sure what to do.

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

• 2 weeks later...

6 weeks and still no improvement. This is so much worse than my original WD symptoms. I really need things to settle soon..

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

My akathisia is even worse the past few days at 7 weeks out. I can't take this, it's unbearable. I read things about people having akathisia for months and years and it freaks me out. I think people have different severities but mine is severe. I genuinely don't know what to do. I just don't get why taking one day of an antibiotic gave me such extreme akathisia when I've never had it before in my WD. None of this makes sense..

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

Hi- sorry to keep posting on here, I'm just really struggling at the moment. I am 2 months post reaction and worse than ever, the symptoms are truly unbearable and debilitating. Does anyone have any words of support/encouragement/hope to share? Thanks so much.

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

On 11/24/2022 at 12:56 AM, cm1212 said:

Hi- sorry to keep posting on here, I'm just really struggling at the moment. I am 2 months post reaction and worse than ever, the symptoms are truly unbearable and debilitating. Does anyone have any words of support/encouragement/hope to share? Thanks so much.

Just popping in to say you are not alone. Things WILL get better. Cling to that hope. Are you any better since last Thursday?

2000-2018 150-200mg Sertraline and Vyvanse

2018- vyvanse 60mg to 0 over 6mo. 200mg Sertraline to 150mg. 2019- 150mg Sertraline to 100mg. Early 2021- 100mg to 87.5, two weeks later 87.5 to 75mg, 1.25-4mg bromazepam PRN. Mid 2021 - Feb 2022 taper 2.5%-5% 75mg to 50mg. March 2022 bromazepam for 3 weeks. May 9th 2022 started Propranolol, 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening. July 2022- off propranolol Oct 2022- off birth control. Dec 2022- updose sertraline 100mg, benztropine 1mg and Ativan 1mg. March 2023- stop benztropine. May 2023 - ativan taper finished. May 2023 - updose Sertraline to 125mg added propranolol 40mg added Ativan 1mg. July 5- sertraline 112.5mg propranolol 60mg, quick 2 week Ativan taper. Current meds: propranolol 60mg, sertraline 106.25mg, Ativan .025mg, B6, CoQ10, Magnesium Glycinate

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mentor
On 11/24/2022 at 3:56 AM, cm1212 said:

so sorry to read this-

have things gotten any better since the end of November?

I hope that the reason you've not been back is because you are happily busy with other things

that might be too much to hope for, but you never know. I have read several stories where folks recovered very quickly after a long period of not doing well

I pray that is the case for you.

Your story is hard to read, you've suffered a great deal and have been so patient. 

my heart goes out to you

I am sorry that you've been thru so  much

The overall majority of people do fully recover from WD. You are more than overdue for a positive change!

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

thanks @Lauren90 and @Happy2Heal for your kind words. No change as of yet. I'm so worn out. My life has been on hold since October 2019 and now after the reaction 3 months ago I am worse than I've ever been. This will be the fourth Christmas I am not able to celebrate. I'm just tired of this. Life is not fair. I don't know why I seem to be such an extreme case.

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

• 1 month later...

@Altostrata I hope you are well. Quick question if OK- Have people had reactions to topical antibiotics as well like Neosporin? I'm afraid to take anything antibiotic related (even topical) after my severe reaction to amoxicillin but I have a cut that has been bleeding for a few days now and want to put something on it to prevent infection. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

• Administrator

I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with topical antibiotics.

great, thank you very much. I used it with no issue. whew!

2012-2019 lexapro

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft