betha88: new to the forum

betha88

Hello all,

I am new to this forum.  I stumbled on it when I was searching the internet for help on withdrawal. 

I have been helping my 22 year old daughter through getting off antidepressants and feel the need for support.  in early September 2019 she was quickly tapered off ( 3 weeks) 10+ years of antidepressants.

10 Years of Luvox, then Dr switched her to Effexor which caused tremors .  She is in a good place in her life and after years of really not getting too much benefit from meds decided it was time. Over the years when she asked her Dr about getting off he was not encouraging, saying things like you will only go back on.   At that point she was on 112 Effexor and Dr told her to drop 35 mg once a week till done , roughly 3 weeks.   Things went downhill quickly.. dizziness, tremors , sweating.  She was working as a nurse at the time and it was debilitating.

Dr then starting giving her Xanax to deal with it and she quickly became hooked, using it to function at work.  Needless to say, we no  longer see him. Her coworkers urged her to go on disability so she could get things ironed out.  Off Xanax currently for a few weeks, which was hard.  Currently dealing with massive insomnia and shakiness .  Still sweating at times too..  I have been reading about high Cortisol levels.  thinking this may be a problem for her.  She has had bloodwork on a few occasions thru the last six months and both should Eosinophil counts of 0.   Any thoughts?

10 Years of Luvox(gradually increased over the years to 150 mg) up until May 2019

May 2019 Dr changed her immediately to Effexor ( stopped Luvox one day started Effexor the next) started her on 75 and then after 6 weeks increased to 112

Early September 2019 started to wean her off 25mg a week Total wean time 3 weeks VERY Quick

Gave her Xanax to deal with it when she was having tremors , etc used for a month up to 2 mg a day she is no longer on anything Did go thru some withdrawal with that

2019 January 9th or 10th  A new Dr wanted her to give Gabapentin a try...Mistake ! made her agitated and anxious , that was 3 days ago.   Now once again not taking anything

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, betha88.  I am sorry your daughter is going through this.  Doctors know nothing about safe tapering or withdrawal, as witness your daughter's situation.  We prefer to work directly with the person in withdrawal, but if she is unable, we're happy to work with you.

Let me see if I have your daughter's drug history right.

2009 Please fill in dosage Luvox

Sept. 2019 3-week taper off Luvox  What was the last dose she was on before jumping to zero?

Sept.2019  112mg Effexor

Date of 3-week taper of Effexor 

Date Xanax started and dosage and date she stopped Xanax

Please fill in the missing information as best you can, make any corrections and pick the history up and paste in this link.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Please be careful with the Xanax.  Dependency can begin within 2-4 weeks of regular use and also can ensue from intermittent use.  Once dependency sets it, you are no longer getting the original benefit of the drug and are merely staving off withdrawal.

The symptoms you describe, including cortisol spikes, are typical of withdrawal.  We recommend tapering no faster than 10% of current dose every four weeks, and of course your daughter's tapers were much faster.  Your daughter is likely also suffering symptoms similar with withdrawal symptoms from an adverse reaction to the Effexor.  

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

So that she may better understand what she's experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal and healing.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug (Luvox) is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  

Reinstatement isn't a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone but it's the best tactic available.  You're slightly outside  the time period where reinstatement predictably works, up to 3 months after last dose.. We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  These drugs are strong, and when reinstating it is better to start with a small amount and increase if symptoms remain unbearable. Your system has become sensitized and If you take too much it may be too much for your brain. Once you've stabilized on that dosage, which can take several months,  you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.  

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

If reinstating a very small dose of Luvox is something you want to consider, please let us know and we will suggest a dosage.

We will also need to requested information above on her Luvor dosage and taper dosage.  Please do not reinstate without letting us make a dosage suggestion.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can answer my questions, fill in your drug signature, ask your own questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by manymoretodays
removed white space

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

10 Years of Luvox(gradually increased over the years to 150 mg) up until May 2019

May 2019 Dr changed her immediately to Effexor ( stopped Luvox one day started Effexor the next) started her on 75 and then after 6 weeks increased to 112

Early September 2019 started to wean her off 25mg a week Total wean time 3 weeks VERY Quick

Gave her Xanax to deal with it when she was having tremors , etc used for a month up to 2 mg a day she is no longer on anything Did go thru some withdrawal with that

A new Dr wanted her to give Gabapentin a try...Mistake ! made her agitated and anxious , that was 3 days ago.   Now once again not taking anything

2019 January 9th or 10th  A new Dr wanted her to give Gabapentin a try...Mistake ! made her agitated and anxious , that was 3 days ago.   Now once again not taking anything

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, betha88 said:

10 Years of Luvox

Please answer in your original Introduction thread the questions I asked there.  We cannot help you without that information.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• manymoretodays changed the title to betha88: new to the forum

I am sorry:( Im a pretty tech savvy person but cannot figure out exactly how to do this?  Any tips? It wont let me edit or paste

• Moderator Emeritus

All merged.  @betha88

Try to keep your postings right here for now.

Please put your withdrawal history in your/her signature

Is your daughter able to post here herself.  That might be really helpful too, if possible.  If not, please do inform her as to what you are doing on her behalf.  I didn't have time to read through your whole introduction.  Best to have permission from her though, I would think. Or just let her know how you are trying to help.  It sounds really difficult right now.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

We also have a Relationships and social life forum, that might help to give you support as well, while you are gathering information here and learning more, on her behalf.

Edited by manymoretodays
additional link

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thank you anyways.. :)she will continue when she feels up to it... just was looking for some simple answers

• Moderator Emeritus

Of course.  Continue to do so, until such time as she is ready and able and willing.  She could just pick up right here at that time.

Oh.....I wish there were simple solutions for your simple questions.  We can get you pointed towards some useful information.

None of this is simple, very unfortunate.

Good of you to help her and support her in all ways.

Many come on, as you have, to help and support a loved one.  It's okay.

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi.  I went ahead and put the following into a signature for you.

How's that look?  Mom's can get support right here too.  Take a look at Gridley's first post to you and feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Edited by manymoretodays

Thank you!!! Looks great!