Fibromyalgia Flare Up and Withdrawals

Shanti

Thank you, she is. I hope I will get the right doctor in the end.

The Fibro post is at the very bottom of the page tucked away. The link to infection is pretty sketchy and I have to say that when you read many of the posts on the site, it seems as if every ill known to man is created by some infection of one kind or another. Still, it has one uplifting story of a woman who writes of her 'cure'..

"I, Ladybug, fell ill in 2000 and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in mid 2005. I had so much pain and confusion, I was barely crawling through the day. Five years on, thanks to Dr Powell's antibacterial, antiviral and detoxification therapy, I am leading a pain-free existence. "

This is just one story, and certainly not a documented study, but I seem to be attracted to reading about people who overcome things, whether WD or other things.

Out of interest from all your research, do you think Fibromyalgia is a new disease or has always been around and been given different names? I ask, because my mother suffered badly and it seems to me that so many of her symptoms were consistent with Fibro. Some docs said arthritis, some said Rheumatoid Arthritis, there were other diagnoses too, I just wonder if it has always been around in some form or if it is becoming more widespread?

Sept 2010 - Citalopram 1 day

Sept 2010 - Zopliclone for ten weeks (paranoia ended a couple of months after coming off this and sleep settled down again until the last couple of months)

Ocober 2010 - Cymbalta 30mg

November 2010 - Cymbalta 60mg

February 2011 - 60mg to 30 mg (lasted 10 days)reinstated 60mg

March 2011 - Took 2 60mg tablets on one evening in error - paralysis of face, back of head, shoulder, stabbing in right kidney, lost 30% of hearing)

March - June 2011 went down quickly 1mg a day until I got stuck at 25mg, went up to 27mg, because couldn't breath.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

7th Aug - began reducing by a bead every couple of days or so went well at first then hit a wall

24th October - now on 18.5mg. Since the kidney infection at start of September, have been in constant pain and anxiety, no let up. Given Ciprofloxacin.

8th Jan 2012 17.8mg (currently reducing 0.2mg a week)

8th Jan 2012 17.6mg last reduction was 6 days ago.

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Out of interest from all your research, do you think Fibromyalgia is a new disease or has always been around and been given different names? I ask, because my mother suffered badly and it seems to me that so many of her symptoms were consistent with Fibro. Some docs said arthritis, some said Rheumatoid Arthritis, there were other diagnoses too, I just wonder if it has always been around in some form or if it is becoming more widespread?

It's always been around, though it is probably more widespread now given the lack of physical exercise. When people are out of shape we stress our muscles much more easily, so our sedentary life style sets us up. When I was diagnosed it was called fibrositis because inflammation was thought to be involved. Fibromyalgia is not a member of the arthritis family, though it was thought to be for some time and referred to as muscle rheumatism.

Uplifting stories.. sounds like the right remedy. ~S

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Schuyler,

I was wondering if you have read the book "from fatigued to fantastic"? I have not, however, a friend of mine who is also a pain mnmt nurse practitioner recommended it. She says 70% of her chronic pain, CFS, and Fibro patients respond with great improvement from following the protocol.

Just wondering if you have heard of or read it.

Thanks

Everything was ok. And then it wasn't.

Med History

11/2009- 50 mg Zoloft (1st ad ever) in combo w/.50 xanax for 2 weeks then use xanax as needed (1st benzo ever)

9 days on Zoloft, I was awake for 9 days straight C/T Zoloft

11/2009- trazadone to sleep for 2 weeks c/t Trazadone

12/2009 start 10 mg Lexapro w/ Xanax as needed

5/2010-3 week taper off lexapro

9/2010? back to Lexapro 10 mg after 5 or 6 weeks c/t leapro

12/2010-10mg paxil

5/2011-6 week paxil taper

8/2011 5mg lexapro

last lexapro pill January 7 2012

all this as per doc orders Thanks Doc!

• Moderator Emeritus

Schuyler,

I was wondering if you have read the book "from fatigued to fantastic"? I have not, however, a friend of mine who is also a pain mnmt nurse practitioner recommended it. She says 70% of her chronic pain, CFS, and Fibro patients respond with great improvement from following the protocol.

Just wondering if you have heard of or read it.

Thanks

Thanks, I haven't but am looking at the From Fatigue to Fantastic on Amazon. I use The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain: A Survival Manual, and Travell & Simons' Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction: The Trigger Point Manual The book your friend talks about seems more for CFS?.. I have not read as much on this area because I don't meet the criteria, and my trigger points started off as myofascial pain that was caused by chronic micro trauma. Thanks for the suggestion. Schuyler

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Yes sir but the 3 rd edition, sorry, I should have said that, focuses much more on fibro. She said its amazing. Good luck!!!

Everything was ok. And then it wasn't.

Med History

11/2009- 50 mg Zoloft (1st ad ever) in combo w/.50 xanax for 2 weeks then use xanax as needed (1st benzo ever)

9 days on Zoloft, I was awake for 9 days straight C/T Zoloft

11/2009- trazadone to sleep for 2 weeks c/t Trazadone

12/2009 start 10 mg Lexapro w/ Xanax as needed

5/2010-3 week taper off lexapro

9/2010? back to Lexapro 10 mg after 5 or 6 weeks c/t leapro

12/2010-10mg paxil

5/2011-6 week paxil taper

8/2011 5mg lexapro

last lexapro pill January 7 2012

all this as per doc orders Thanks Doc!

• 2 years later...

Hi, 

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice (or refer me to some post) on how to manage or ease withdrawal symptoms that mimic neuropathy or fibromyalgia. 

My WD symptoms come in waves and always seem to be different each time. Sometimes it's akathisia, other times it's brain zaps, then it's depression, etc. This time I'm experiencing a lot of acute and shooting pain through my body along with twitching and burning sensations. This happens mostly on my head, back, arms, hands, fingers (a lot of articular pain and involuntary movements) and legs. I'm also feeling extremely tired and with a lot of brain fog. Small tasks are really hard to do right now, even though last week I was doing better. 

This has happened to me before and doctor put me on Lyrica. Sometimes it helps a little bit, sometimes it doesn't help at all and I don't want to increase the dosage. I'm currently on 75 mg. 

I'm feeling scared this will become something chronic, like it's real fibromyalgia or neuropathy (I really don't know the difference between them). Doctor knows this is a withdrawal symptom but, like I said he wants me to increase Lyrica from 75 mg to 150 mg. I don't want to do this. 

Do you think this is only a wave? I started magnesium last week, could this have triggered this? What can ease these symptoms?

I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cdav, see:

Fibromyalgia Flare Up and Withdrawals

and   

Peripheral Neuropathy

When you have a question or comment about a specific symptom, please search to see if we already have a related topic, we usually do.  Then you can benefit from previously collected information and add to the discussion.  This keeps the site organized with all available knowledge in one thread, easily accessible through searches.

The search function on this site doesn't work very well.   The best way to search this site for specific information  is to use Google.  Type in survivingantidepressants.org then the symptom or information you wish to search for.

If after searching, you can't find what you're looking for, please start a new topic.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus