SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Cold Turkey Withdrawal

zibius

Well, I wanted to put my experience thinking that it might help some of you.

You see, a few months ago I had decided to stop my cipralex. I had been on different kind of drugs for the last 8 years and because things were going well in life, I said enough.

I know a little bit about withdrawal symptoms and that I shouldn't stop cold turkey. But like many of you, I was eager to get my old life back. The life before all this started 8 years ago, with a burnout. 

I was so determined that I told myself I could brace for impact and deal with the dizziness, the brain zap and the fogginess. But seem like subconscious was listening and decided to try something different.

My "smart plan" was to go from 10 mg cipralex down to 5 mg for one month and then .25 mg for another month. And it worked, kind of. No withdrawal whatsoever until 2 month later.

My subconscious put is plan into motion, instead of going with brain zap (which I was prepared to deal with) he went with super hyper burning sensitive skin and dry eyes.

I think the expression "I’m not comfortable in my own skin" come from people with withdrawal. Talk about a stupid, uncomfortable and mind bugging feeling. You feel like running naked all the time. But it made my kids uncomfortable and work HR said I had to stop. 

Now, I'm still not sure if it's withdrawal or something else so I asked this forum a few days ago. Well it did not take long for one of the admin (Altostrata) to say (I imagine her shouting) IT'S TO FAST YOU DIM WIT. She didn't say it like that but I got the message. She also explained that Escitalopram is more potent that the average drug. 10 mg of this is like 30 mg of something else.

So after all this, I'm back on 5 mg cipralex, for 4 days now, and waiting, hoping that my subconscious will be happy again and stop playing with my skin. Maybe find something more useful to do.

But even if I feel like crying, sleeping all the time and going back to full dose, my plan is to stick with 5 mg for 2-3 months and then go back down at 10% every month.

And maybe, just maybe all the parts of my human being will get along and still be friend at the end.

p.s. sorry for the long post, but I needed to say it to somebody.

p.s.s. the problem is not the drugs, it's the doctors administering them. They know nothing....

2016 Back to cipralex 10 mg

2018 March From 10 mg to 5 mg cipralex

2018 april 15, stopped 5 mg cipralex

2018 May 16 Hypersensitive skin as withdrawal

2018 May 19 to 23 took 5 mg cipralex but skin was more painful so stopped cipralex

2018 May 30, skin is feeling better

2018 June 28, very stressful event

2018 July 3, Skin is more painful

2018 July 8, started .5 mg cipralex 

2018 July 12 skin is even worst

Supplements Omega 3, Magnesium

• Altostrata changed the title to I was stupid and went cold turkey
  • Administrator

Thanks for owning up, zibius.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Changed the title so as to clearly inform people who think we spend so much of our time coaching people in tapering for no good reason.

Show some appreciation for our efforts -- do not go cold turkey. Or at least, if you do, take responsibility for it and learn to deal with your withdrawal symptoms.

Thanks for owning up, zibius.

I was going to say that I like your title better. Are you doing this as a full time job ?

I'm probably not the first but I will say it anyway, we owe our life to people like you, because when our doctors fails us, who can we talk to.

So I read a lot on this forum today, getting smarter by the minute and trying to do the right thing. We literally spend our day pressing F5 hoping for help ;)

2016 Back to cipralex 10 mg

2018 March From 10 mg to 5 mg cipralex

2018 april 15, stopped 5 mg cipralex

2018 May 16 Hypersensitive skin as withdrawal

2018 May 19 to 23 took 5 mg cipralex but skin was more painful so stopped cipralex

2018 May 30, skin is feeling better

2018 June 28, very stressful event

2018 July 3, Skin is more painful

2018 July 8, started .5 mg cipralex 

2018 July 12 skin is even worst

Supplements Omega 3, Magnesium

• Administrator

It surely seems full time! The staff is all volunteer, we do this to prevent a little suffering in this complicated world.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

11 hours ago, Altostrata said:

It surely seems full time! The staff is all volunteer, we do this to prevent a little suffering in this complicated world.

Saint Altostrata

2005-2015 sertaline, 2015 to November 2018 escatalopram. Used liquid titration to drop doses. By 0.5mg at first then drops as small as 0.01mg at end of taper. Jumped of at 0.02mg

• Administrator

Not so much.

• 11 months later...

i can also add to this thread as i didn't quite go cold turkey but as good as. i tapered far too quickly (not as quickly as the doctors wanted but still too fast) and got hit by the withdrawal juggernaut. 

altostrata and some of the mods on here recommended i reinstate a small dose of prozac to see if it would ease my symptoms as i had only been off a couple of months by that time but i was adamant i was never touching ad's again and would work through it. it didn't go well. my physical symptoms mostly subsided but not the mental ones - they just got worse. 

here i am over 2 years later and have reinstated. it's having a small effect on my symptoms and i'm going to stick at this dosage for a few months to see how things go before trying to taper off properly. if i'd done that when it was first suggested to me i may have been able to ward off the worst parts of the last 2 years. 

so a warning from me too - if the staff on here (who've had years of experience of this crap) suggest something then please listen - they've guided many many people through this hell over the years and know what they're talking about. don't grit your teeth and hope you'll be able to stick it out - you may be lucky and have withdrawals pass in a short time but it's more than likely you could be suffering for a whole lot longer than that. 

Took prozac 40 mg for 20 years.

January 2017 started cutting down prozac by 12.5% a week. End of February 2017 completely off prozac and withdrawals began.

Currently taking Levothyroxine 75 mcg, Magnesium citrate 200mg,Sage leaf 50mg daily

Amlodipine: October 2017 , discontinued 26 Feb 2019; Candesartan:  26 Feb 2019, 4mg.

Discontinued magnesium citrate 200mg Apr 3rd 2019

Reinstated prozac:  14 Jan 2019, 1mg; 26 Jan, 1.5mg; 4 Feb, 2mg; 16 Feb, 2.5mg; 2 Mar, 3mg; 5 Mar, 2.5mg, 23 Mar, 3 mg; 6 Apr, 3.5mg, 14 Apr 4mg, 23 Apr 5mg, 10 Jul 8mg, 1 Dec 20mg, 1 Apr 2020 40mg 

• 7 months later...

I’m not sure this topic is in the right place or if it will be permissible. I know Cold Turkey is never recommended and in many cases frowned upon. Here we are though, many  of us have CTed our drugs or Fast Tracked our taper through no fault of our own. We are often together in the reinstating dilemma because we are over the 3 month recommended period. Do we risk kindling and making our symptoms worse or do we continue with the possible prospect of protracted withdrawal. I acknowledge we are all different in our recovery but it seems to help me if I connect with people in a similar situation. I often search for the Lexapro group and also the Cold Turkey sufferers. I know Cold Turkey is never advisable but sometimes some of us feel trapped  in it. I thought I’d start a topic so we are easy to find each other. Not sure if moderators will agree so I’m just putting it out there to see what people think. Take care everyone we will get through this Kx

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

Hi Katy,

I had been taking 20mg Lexapro for about 8 years. About 2 months ago I was having a very bad bout of depression, anxiety etc. and was suggested by my doctor to change to 100mg Sertraline. In early November 2019 I CT'd the Lexapro, waited 24 hours and started taking the Sertraline (doctor's orders). I immediately suffered from extreme brain fog. Over the next 6 weeks the brain fog didn't ease up. I thought the brain fog was due to the Sertraline, so I stopped taking the Sertraline. I wanted to see how my mind and body would function without any medication so I did not reinstate the Lexapro (psychologist recommended this). It has been about 5 weeks since I have stopped taking any medication. My anxiety and depression is ok (I am attending regular therapy to cope here). However, my heavy brain fog is still present, and my general concentration is far lower then what I am accustomed to.

How are you coping? Are you going through any WD symptoms yourself?

2012– Nov 2019 20mg Escitalophram  

CT Escitalophram  
Nov 2019 - Mid Dec 2019 100mg Sertraline

Fast Taper Sertraline

End of Dec 2019 - Present, Medication free

Hi @AussieDean,

I am going through withdrawal on a day to day basis. I went off under psychiatrist advice but it was way too quick and I left it too late to reinstate.  Not knowing what the future holds as far as withdrawal,  is my biggest challenge. I take each moment at a time. 

I recently  started seeing a Cousellor weekly which has been a tremendous help. 

I listened to a couple of radio programs that I thought was interesting regarding tapering. 

https://www.rnz.co.nz/audio/player?audio_id=2018703293

If I could turn back the clocks I would not have Cold Turkied I would have maybe followed Mark Horowitz’s idea of tapering Fast taper initially then very slow. 

Thinking of you take care 

Kx

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

• Altostrata changed the title to Cold Turkey & Fast Taper / Cold Turkey Community

Hi Katy,

I am glad seeing a councilor has helped.

Thank you for the podcast link, it was very enlightening.

So you have been off any form of meds for just over a year now?

Are your symptoms progressively getting better? Or do you feel stagnant?

I have been reading a lot of forum posts the last few days about going CT, reinstating, and then slow tapering.

I actually took 5mg of lexapro today as I thought maybe it wasn't too late to reinstate, and hopefully it would help in clearing up this brain fog of mine.

However, immediately after taking the 5mg I regretted it. I have made it 3 months so far, and I think my best course of action would be to continue to not take the AD and just wait out this brain fog period (hopefully it does not take years).

Hopefully taking the one off 5mg does not have any ill effects!

It would be nice if any admin or other people who have experience here could offer some advice :)

Thanks

2012– Nov 2019 20mg Escitalophram  

CT Escitalophram  
Nov 2019 - Mid Dec 2019 100mg Sertraline

Fast Taper Sertraline

End of Dec 2019 - Present, Medication free

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi AussieDean and welcome,

We try to offer advice on individuals threads, or introduction topics.  And encourage members to support members as well.

And as of yet, we don't really have any "hard data" to offer, as far as when to expect symptoms to let up.

I don't know if you saw Alto's comment on one of your posts, on another members thread, so am quoting it here:

On 1/22/2020 at 11:56 PM, Altostrata said:

Okay, please do try fish oil and magnesium and let us know how you're doing. '

@AussieDean, of course a mind-body connection is present in everyone and self-generated symptoms are always a possibility. However, having experience weird, unprecedented, unexpected traveling physical pains from withdrawal syndrome myself, and having seen thousands of reports of it on this Web site and elsewhere on the Web, I believe it's usually an authentic withdrawal symptom.

There was a time 10 or 15 years ago that withdrawal symptoms were explained away as psychosomatic. We generally give credence to our members' reports of symptoms, but we do encourage them to use mental tools to manage them.

I think the worst of my "acute" symptoms let up somewhere around a year out, although it's tough to recall.  And then often symptoms tend to come in the waves and windows pattern.  I don't know........but for me, always keeping the faith and believing that it would get better helped a lot.  And then having the ability to "lighten up" and realize that if not WD, many people are going through many things, everywhere.

Having this site though, has been invaluable, for me.  As far as having a place to go, where others "get it", for the most part anyway.  I know that new members often arrive here for all kinds of reasons.  But most here "get it".  I sure wasn't getting healthier or well on my merry go round with medications treatment.  And find where I am at today, much better, much more real, and healthier.  Hope that helps.

Do try to keep specific questions around your case, on your introduction page.  I think you appropriately commented here.......on Katy398's topic.  Just a reminder.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi @AussieDean,

I am going through withdrawal on a day to day basis. I went off under psychiatrist advice but it was way too quick and I left it too late to reinstate.  Not knowing what the future holds as far as withdrawal,  is my biggest challenge. I take each moment at a time. 

I recently  started seeing a Cousellor weekly which has been a tremendous help. 

I listened to a couple of radio programs that I thought was interesting regarding tapering. 

https://www.rnz.co.nz/audio/player?audio_id=2018703293

If I could turn back the clocks I would not have Cold Turkied I would have maybe followed Mark Horowitz’s idea of tapering Fast taper initially then very slow. 

How are you feeling today?

Thinking of you take care 

Kx

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• 8 months later...

Hi. I did a fast taper off of multiple drugs simultaneously.  I am curious to see if anyone else did the same and what the results were. I am in a pretty good place for now but know things could turn any day. So I am optimistically cautious at this point.  

Paxil  07/1997 - 10/1998 Quit CT  

Neurontin, topamax, trazadone,  ssri AD (don't remember which one) 12/1998 - 06/1999 CT everything

Eflexor Xanax  04/2000 -08/2000 CT  ***01/2008-05/2013 on/off lexapro, lamictalseroquelsaphris, pristiq  Start/Stop CT at intervals 

Zoloft 200 mg 07/2013  WD 04/3/20 - 04/8/20 Quit

Seroquel 800 mg 07/2013 2013 *400 mg 07/2019  *** WD 04/15/2020 - 06/19/20 Quit

Ambien 10 mg 07/2013  WD 5 mg 04/29/2020, 2.5 mg 12/24/20, 1.66 mg 01/21/2021, 1.25 mg 02/16/2021 *** 02/22/2021 Quit

Xanax  2 mg prn 07/2013 - 04/23/20 Quit CT

Lamictal 150 mg 07/2013 WD 05/06/20 -06/11/2020 Quit

Propranolol 03/21/2020 - 04/20/2020 Quit CT

Hydroxyzine  12/14/2020 - 12/27/20 Quit

Allegra 24 hr 01/11/21 Flonase Nasal Spray 01/11/21

Magnesium Glycinate 100mg x3 daily D3 5000iu daily 

I CT'ed Prozac + Abilify simultaneously and after I CT'ed I felt so bad and bizarre.I hoped that it would subside on its own but it got worse day by day.It's been 2 years now and I feel so bad.My problems are severe and it looks like they're permanent.

2012 - 2016

Sertraline (50 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (After CT I had my first mania attack.)

2016 - 2017

Sertraline (50 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (After CT I had my second mania attack.)

October 2017 - January 2018

Sertraline (50 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (After CT I had a movement problem)

March 2018 - April 2018

Bupropion (150 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (My movement problems were resolved but I became angrier than usual while I was using them)

April 2018 - July 2018

Prozac (20 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (After I CT'ed because of different problems which were related to my vision and finger jerks my movement problem came back.)

September 2020 - ...

I'm on Sertraline (50 mg) + Aripiprazole (2.5 mg).

@madmert9 Oh no I am so sorry I can not imagine what you are going through. I was reading about tardive dyskinesia yesterday and hoping that I don't get it.  I had CT'd before but never after have being on the drugs for 7 years straight. I have never had the physical problems for long periods but I have had mental anxiety and strong long lasting intrusive thought patterns of doom and dread.  In the past I didn't know my mental problems were a result of WD so I kept getting back on the drugs. Now I know more of what to expect and I confess that it scares me.  Madmert9 I so hope that your condition gets better.  Apparently going the CT route is not wise and I hope others find this out before starting their WD process.  

Neurontin, topamax, trazadone,  ssri AD (don't remember which one) 12/1998 - 06/1999 CT everything

Eflexor Xanax  04/2000 -08/2000 CT  ***01/2008-05/2013 on/off lexapro, lamictalseroquelsaphris, pristiq  Start/Stop CT at intervals 

Ambien 10 mg 07/2013  WD 5 mg 04/29/2020, 2.5 mg 12/24/20, 1.66 mg 01/21/2021, 1.25 mg 02/16/2021 *** 02/22/2021 Quit

• ChessieCat changed the title to Cold turkey and fast taper - cold turkey community
  • Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, madmert9 said:

It's been 2 years now and I feel so bad.

Two years is only a short time.  Recovery can sometimes be frustratingly slow and take a long time.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks for your replies about my condition.I've been using Zoloft 50 mg + Abilify 2.5 mg for 2 weeks.It's impossible for me to deal with CT and all of the suffering.I'm gonna use this combination for a while (maximum 3 months) and gonna wait for a miracle.It's so hard to use them when I'm completely against these drugs.But I lost my hope and I don't wanna wait anymore without doing anything.

2012 - 2016

Sertraline (50 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (After CT I had my first mania attack.)

2016 - 2017

Sertraline (50 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (After CT I had my second mania attack.)

October 2017 - January 2018

Sertraline (50 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (After CT I had a movement problem)

March 2018 - April 2018

Bupropion (150 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (My movement problems were resolved but I became angrier than usual while I was using them)

April 2018 - July 2018

Prozac (20 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (After I CT'ed because of different problems which were related to my vision and finger jerks my movement problem came back.)

September 2020 - ...

I'm on Sertraline (50 mg) + Aripiprazole (2.5 mg).

@madmert9 I hope you start feeling better.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a really good link for all the Cold Turkey members. 🙂

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator
On 1/17/2020 at 12:08 AM, Katy398 said:

I’m not sure this topic is in the right place or if it will be permissible. I know Cold Turkey is never recommended and in many cases frowned upon. Here we are though, many  of us have CTed our drugs or Fast Tracked our taper through no fault of our own. We are often together in the reinstating dilemma because we are over the 3 month recommended period. Do we risk kindling and making our symptoms worse or do we continue with the possible prospect of protracted withdrawal. I acknowledge we are all different in our recovery but it seems to help me if I connect with people in a similar situation. I often search for the Lexapro group and also the Cold Turkey sufferers. I know Cold Turkey is never advisable but sometimes some of us feel trapped  in it. I thought I’d start a topic so we are easy to find each other. Not sure if moderators will agree so I’m just putting it out there to see what people think. Take care everyone we will get through this Kx

Yes, cold turkey is not recommended, even in conventional psychiatry training, for good reason. The early researchers were rightly horrified by what happened to some people who abruptly stopped their drugs.

Still, some bad, irresponsible doctors will advise people to cold turkey, or people might suddenly find they cannot refill prescriptions, or there may be other reasons they are forced to stop. Some may have milder, short-lived withdrawal symptoms while others find they get severe withdrawal symptoms.

Reinstatement is best done shortly after going off the drug. Because your nervous system is used to your usual dosage, you may be able to reinstate half a dose, maybe even a whole dose, and stabilize quickly.

If you've gone off several months ago or more, your nervous system is not used to a full dose; reinstatement needs to be more cautious, perhaps a tiny fraction of a dose, or your nervous system, which has been stressed by withdrawal syndrome, may react badly (kindling). In these situations, for many antidepressants, 1mg or less may be sufficient to cause an improvement in withdrawal symptoms, or at least be a relatively safe probe to see if reinstatement is going to work.

See What is withdrawal syndrome? 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

• 6 months later...
On 4/21/2021 at 3:46 PM, Altostrata said:

Yes, cold turkey is not recommended, even in conventional psychiatry training, for good reason. The early researchers were rightly horrified by what happened to some people who abruptly stopped their drugs.

Are there any articles about this? What drugs were CT'd? Was it earlier psych meds like Thorazine, or the newer class of ones like SSRIs? Just curious.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

30mg Lexapro from 2016-2020

30mg cold turkey in June 2020 due to issues with APRN

Re-instatement of 10mg of Lexapro in late September 2020 due to panic attack

Cold turkey 10mg Lexapro early October 2020 due to sudden health problems possibly caused by Lexapro

Now taking 20mg of Lisinopril. Stopped iron supplement over the counter for low iron due to feeling sick while taking it. Taking a vitamin D supplement alongside the Lisinopril.

• Moderator Emeritus
7 minutes ago, rilexapro said:

Are there any articles about this?

hengartner-2020-protracted-withdrawal-syndrome-after-stopping-antidepressants-a-descriptive-quantitative-analysis-of-consumer-narratives-from-a-large-internet-forum

Altostrata contributed to this research paper.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

10 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Thank you for the link.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

30mg Lexapro from 2016-2020

30mg cold turkey in June 2020 due to issues with APRN

Re-instatement of 10mg of Lexapro in late September 2020 due to panic attack

Cold turkey 10mg Lexapro early October 2020 due to sudden health problems possibly caused by Lexapro

Now taking 20mg of Lisinopril. Stopped iron supplement over the counter for low iron due to feeling sick while taking it. Taking a vitamin D supplement alongside the Lisinopril.

• 2 months later...

Hi @Scrountz

Thank you for this, really helpful!

Sep 2011 - March 2012 citalopram 50mg

March 2012 - Apr 2012 tapered 50mg citalopram down too fast 

Sep 2013 - Oct 2016 citalopram 30mg 
Oct 2016 - Jan 2017 tapered citalopram 30mg down too fast

Reinstated citalopram 30mg in April 2017

Added mirtazapine 15mg in June 2017  

Jan 2021 - July 2021 tapered citalopram 30mg down too fast

July 2021 - Nov 2021 tapered mirtazapine 15mg down too fast 

Reinstated mirtazapine 15mg in Dec 2021 + Reinstated citalopram 10mg in Feb 2022

FOUND SURVIVING ANTIDEPRESSANTS 

CURRENT DOSES - Citalopram 4.75mg + Mirtazapine 7.5mg

Thank you @Scrountz

That is an excellent and thoughtful post.  I hope folk will follow many of those ingredients towards sanity. 
For me the need to get off stuff was partly anger and partially medical complications. 
I feel less lonely/fearful having read your post! 
OD 

My Intro topic.  Was Dickie in FB gabapentinoids 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

2020 June Stopped Pregabalin 150 at night using Ashton Method Some holds. 

2021 December Stopped Mirtazipine 15 using Ashton Method. (Slower at end). 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Oxazepam 10mg.STOPPED 10th FEB 2022  “Rescue dose x 2 in 2 months. 

Buccastem 3mg less than 1 a month for nausea. 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing. 

Withdrawal and recovery is fraught with fear and anxiety. I have been going through some pretty severe anxiety lately as I learn just how long all of this is going to take and I am dealing with a lot of anger that this was done to me. I also have a potential diagnosis that is pending for Mast Cell Activation Syndrome that is causing a lot of stress as it just adds to an already full plate. I know many people here deal with the same things I am dealing with right now. This may help some people. My acupuncturist sent me some videos on how to stimulate Vagus Nerve function to help calm anxiety and stress. What is nice about these videos is that they not only explain 'What' to do but they also explain 'Why' it works which I find to be very helpful. Personally, if you have access to acupuncture I highly recommend giving it a try. I wish I had found it years ago.

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

@FeralCatman

Yes I think that vagus nerve activation is so important. In coming off pentinoid meds it seems particularly important (anecdotally). 
I have a Tens Vagus nerve stimulator which is a bit fiddly so I use the exercises you recommended. 
OD

My Intro topic.  Was Dickie in FB gabapentinoids 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

2020 June Stopped Pregabalin 150 at night using Ashton Method Some holds. 

2021 December Stopped Mirtazipine 15 using Ashton Method. (Slower at end). 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Oxazepam 10mg.STOPPED 10th FEB 2022  “Rescue dose x 2 in 2 months. 

Buccastem 3mg less than 1 a month for nausea. 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing. 

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

This post is absolutely brilliant.  I will be using it a lot with my new members.  It's beautifully articulated.  Thank you!  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

On 2/7/2022 at 4:06 PM, Scrountz said:

I thought I'd write something up for the CT/ADR crew, as those who are tapering are often able to manage their symptoms well through a gradual hyperbolic taper. For those of us cast out to sea, so to speak, and with no choice but to endure suffering, I think the only thing we have control over is our attitudes and our relationship to what we're experiencing. This means that though we have no choice over what we experience, we have the power to decide whether we suffer it. 

I may only be 30 days into my ADR experience, but I think given the intensity of my symptoms I've done remarkably well. Part of the reason that's the case is that I'm already well versed at managing suffering by virtue of struggling with CPTSD. One of the most helpful resources I found in my trauma recovery has been Pete Walker's 13 Steps for Flashback Management. I feel Pete's strategies could similarly be helpful for those suffering symptoms from Withdrawal/ADR. CPTSD flashbacks often resemble Withdrawal/ADR symptoms in their overwhelming and intense quality, and are similarly difficult to assign meaning to. Pete's steps help people to endure and manage their suffering, and support people to develop a healing attitude towards a complex and often lifelong syndrome. 

So here I present to you, adapted directly from Pete's steps,  Scrountz's 10 Steps for Managing Withdrawal/ADR Symptoms:

1. Say to yourself: "I am experiencing a symptom."

Its important when symptoms arise to name them what they are. When in a wave it is easy to lose perspective and believe that what we are experiencing is a sign that we are going crazy, mentally ill, that our brains are broken, or that we are dying. Symptoms are not characterological defects, nor are they signs of a deeper problem. Symptoms are time limited experiences that will gradually resolve. When you name what you are experience as a symptom, you are reinforcing what is real.

2. Remind yourself: "I would not be feeling this way if it was not for the medication."

Withdrawal/ADR symptoms are compelling and have a tendency to pull us in to a unique physiological reality characterized by interminable suffering. Neuro-emotions, ruminating thoughts, and unrelenting physical ailments feel so real it is sometimes hard to believe that we are experiencing is drug induced. Falling into this pit can send us into a spiral of googling symptoms, experimenting with remedies and endlessly theorizing about our condition. Reminding ourselves that it is the medication (or for withdrawal, its absence) that is causing this experience grounds us in the appropriate context for recovery. When we remind ourselves it is the medication, we open the door to taking the right action to promote recovery. 

3. Own your right and need to have boundaries

Remind yourself that you are injured, and have a right to do what is necessary to heal. Respectfully communicate to others when you are distressed/overwhelmed/debilitated and need space or freedom from responsibilities that may burden your already over-sensitized nervous system. Own your right to take care of yourself and put your wellness first. Remove or reduce distressing factors in your environment and focus on finding a space for you that is safe and conducive to healing. Remember you are free to leave overstimulating situations and to protect yourself from the dismissive behaviour of others. 

4. Seek reassurance

When symptoms arise, they can be incredibly distressing and debilitating. Many people in withdrawal feel as though their lives are ruined and they may never feel better again. Seek reassurance from loved ones and compassionate others to remind you that you will heal in time. Call your parents, talk to your spouse, connect with your counsellor, or phone a friend. Journal in your introductory topic or reach out to other members of this forum. Find whoever you can to reassure you things will get better. Often just hearing that from someone else is enough to provide some strength to keep going. 

5. Deconstruct eternity thinking

Withdrawal/ADR symptoms are incredibly compelling. Often when a wave of symptoms arises, one feels they will always feel this way forever. I know for me, when a wave of depression hits, I have a hard time believing it won’t last forever. The reality is that symptoms change over time. Recovery follows an unpredictable course, yet no feeling is final. Waves will always end eventually. Remind yourself that symptoms are not forever, and you will feel differently eventually. Symptom journals can be incredibly helpful in this regard, as when eternity thinking sets in, you can revisit past journals to see how your experience has changed over time. 

6. Remind yourself of the resources you have

While time is the only factor that truly resolves Withdrawal/ADR symptoms, there are numerous resources available to help with coping and reducing symptom severity. When distressing symptoms arise, remind yourself of the resources you have to cope. It can be helpful to make a list of the things you find helpful in managing symptoms (for me it's talking with loved ones, journaling, Qigong, Acknowledge/Accept/Float, CBT exercises). In withdrawal/ADR, you are out of control but you are not powerless. There are ways to increase comfort and help manage your experience.

7. Ease back into your body (this is copied verbatim from Pete’s flashback management as it is just as applicable to us)

• Gently ask your body to relax: Feel each of your major muscle groups and softly encourage them to relax. (Tight muscles send unnecessary danger signals to the brain.)
  • Breathe deeply and slowly. (Holding the breath also signals danger).
  • Slow down. (Rushing presses the psyche's panic button.)
  • Find a safe place to unwind and soothe yourself. Wrap yourself in a blanket, hold a stuffed animal, lie down in a bath, take a nap
  • Feel the fear in your body without reacting to it. Fear is just an energy in your body that cannot hurt you if you do not run from it or react self-destructively to it.

8. Resist drasticizing and catastrophizing

Withdrawal/ADR symptoms throw us into a state of high distress, where it is easy to begin catastrophizing (believing the world is ending) and drasticizing (believing that something needs an immediate and severe response). It’s important to forcefully resist this, as this kind of thinking only serves to increase distress and reinforce the notion that recovery is not possible. Use whatever strength you can to push back against this thinking, reminding yourself that symptoms are not life threatening, and that this is not forever. CBT techniques that challenge catastrophic thinking are particularly helpful in managing this dimension of symptoms. 

9. Allow yourself to grieve

Withdrawal/ADR can be a debilitating, life altering experience that has robbed some of us years of wellness and prosperity. For many the loss of a sense of safety and trust in the medical system leaves one feeling existentially exposed. The symptoms of withdrawal/ADR can impact our relationships, sense of self and life direction. It is important to leave space to express the healthy feelings that come up as a result of this demoralizing, often traumatic experience. Pain, sadness, anger, despair and anguish all have a place in the recovery process. Give yourself permission to express whatever feelings are present in relation to the inevitable loss that withdrawal.

10. Be patient with a slow recovery process

I was sobered when I read on this site that recovery takes longer than you’d like. The truth of iatrogenic injury is that there is no clear timeline for anyone’s recovery process. Everyone experiences a unique healing trajectory, with some going very slowly and others experiencing more rapid progress. Whatever the pace, it is important to be patient. You simply cannot rush your healing. Most of us will be at this for months or years. Raging against this fact only engenders needless suffering. Though in many ways the hardest step, this is the most important, and feeds back positively into the other steps. If you can take things one day at a time, you’re more likely to successfully manage your symptoms as they arise. If you’re fixated on getting well NOW, you’re less likely to do what's actually helpful (see steps 1-9).

This list is far from exhaustive. I’d love to hear from the collective wisdom of this forum about other necessary “steps” in coping with hard symptoms. 

Thank you for this! I am also a immediate adr person, almost 3 months out. Hope you are doing well. 

Immediate adverse reaction 

lexapro 5mg 3x 1/27/22, 1/28/22, 1/30/22 

Buspirone 7mg 1x 1/27/22 

last dose 1/30/2022

• getofflex changed the title to Steps for Managing Withdrawal (Cold Turkey - Adverse Reaction)

This is brilliant! Thank you so much @Scrountz

I am also a CPTSD + withdrawal endurer. You are so right about the symptom-management skills being transferrable. I, too, find my experience with C-PTSD recovery applicable to withdrawal. Non-drug coping techniques for the win! 

Thanks so much for taking the time to write everything out and share it here. Having it all laid out and listed so clearly is really helpful. 

I appreciate this post so much. Thank you, you're awesome!

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Scrountz-

Thanks so much for writing this. So, so helpful. I’m a longtime Lexapro user and I’m on 3.8 MG. I had an adverse reaction to low dose naltrexone a year ago and have been struggling since. It’s gotten better but progress is very slow. I’ve got a few main symptoms that have been hanging on for a long time. 

Would you put me in the bucket of ADR folks? 

2005- 2008: Lorazepam (max dose- 1 MG daily)

2008- 2016: Lexapro (max dose-10 MG daily)

January 2017- March 2017- Pristiq (max dose- 100 MG daily)

April 2017- June 2017: Trintellix (max dose- 10 MG)

July 2017- October 2017:  Lexapro (max dose-10 MG daily)

November 2017- April 2018- Luvox (max dose- 100 MG)

May 2018- Zoloft (max dose- 18.75)

5/28/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/3/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/7/18- 3.5 MG Lexapro, 6/13/18- 4 MG Lexapro, 6/21/18- 4.5 MG Lexapro, 6/28/18- 3/29/21- 4 MG Lexapro, 3/30/21- Present- 3.8 MG Lexapro

**Bad Wave Caused by Trileptal 150 MG (one pill) in December '20 and Low Dose Naltrexone .12 MG (one pill) in April '21**

"The Journey is The Reward"

On 4/30/2022 at 9:39 AM, ryan1982 said:

Hey @Scrountz-

Thanks so much for writing this. So, so helpful. I’m a longtime Lexapro user and I’m on 3.8 MG. I had an adverse reaction to low dose naltrexone a year ago and have been struggling since. It’s gotten better but progress is very slow. I’ve got a few main symptoms that have been hanging on for a long time. 

Would you put me in the bucket of ADR folks? 

Its hard to say. I think early on for me I was thinking about my symptoms as the result of a classical withdrawal syndrome. I believed that my body had adapted to the drug and that abruptly discontinuing it left me symptomatic, a result of my body's own yet to be reversed compensations. The protracted nature of a lot of people's experiences suggests a different type of underlying mechanism may be at play here, and I'm much more inclined now to see many of us as suffering from a kind of iatrogenic (drug-induced) dysregulation to our nervous system, one that is either brought on by the potent effects of the medication itself, or by the chaos our nervous systems experience after abrupt discontinuation.

This would explain why both ADR people AND people who too quickly taper tend to experience the same type of long enduring symptoms. Its really just that all of our nervous systems have been jolted too hard by the presence or the absence of the drug. This page does a nice job of explaining the alternative theory of protracted antidepressant withdrawal. Many people's experiences share the character of dysautonomia, a set of syndromes with varying causes. It could be that many of us are experiencing a unique type of dysautonomia caused by the medication we are taking/discontinuing causing severe nervous system dysregulation. 

@ryan1982 Sounds like you're someone who identifies as having both an ADR to naltrexone, as well as tapering from Lexapro. I'm not at all qualified enough to tease apart whether your symptoms are due to tapering Lexapro or your ADR to Naltrexone, but if you're symptomatic, you're probably in the same boat as the rest of us in one way or another. It seems like the best way forward for most of us (barring reinstatement) is just time, good nutrition, light exercise and good sleep. Stability is key, taking things slowly, and coping as best as we can. 

1998- Fluoxetine

2012- One dose of Escitalopram causes suicidal ideation. Started Venlafaxine. Successfully discontinued using a Fluoxetine bridge.

December 2021- 4 days of 5-HTP. Had some severe dysphoric symptoms trying to discontinue. Started Fluoxetine 10mg. Provided with five 1mg doses of Ativan as well.

January 6th- Continued to take Fluoxetine 10mg. Experienced deepened depression and suicidal ideation.

January 9th- 5mg dose. Experiencing deepened depression and suicidal ideation.

January 10th- Quit Fluoxerine CT

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to me, @Scrountz. Super helpful info and I've actually printed out your original post so that I can have it close by when times get tough.

I totally understand what you're saying about time, good nutrition, good sleep and light exercise. I was 100% stable on Lexapro when my adverse reaction occurred so I'm assuming this is all coming from the adverse reaction with naltrexone. It's just so hard to believe it's been 13 months caused by one pill and you can't help but want to solve the problem!

I really appreciate you and wish you nothing but the best!  

2005- 2008: Lorazepam (max dose- 1 MG daily)

2008- 2016: Lexapro (max dose-10 MG daily)

January 2017- March 2017- Pristiq (max dose- 100 MG daily)

April 2017- June 2017: Trintellix (max dose- 10 MG)

July 2017- October 2017:  Lexapro (max dose-10 MG daily)

November 2017- April 2018- Luvox (max dose- 100 MG)

May 2018- Zoloft (max dose- 18.75)

5/28/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/3/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/7/18- 3.5 MG Lexapro, 6/13/18- 4 MG Lexapro, 6/21/18- 4.5 MG Lexapro, 6/28/18- 3/29/21- 4 MG Lexapro, 3/30/21- Present- 3.8 MG Lexapro

**Bad Wave Caused by Trileptal 150 MG (one pill) in December '20 and Low Dose Naltrexone .12 MG (one pill) in April '21**

"The Journey is The Reward"

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been helped by Low Dose Naltrexone?

Paxil 2008 20mg 2016 40mg feb 21 2022  20mg, feb 28 0mg April 23 20mg April 24 40mg April 26 20mg April 27 10mg April 28 0mg May 7 10mg May 17 0mg

Duloxitine Feb. 21, ‘22-30mg feb 28 60mg March 14 0mg April 21. 30mg April 26 60mg April 28 30mg am/60mg pm May 7 60mg am currently still on

Lexapro 2022 April 14 5 mg April 18 10m

April 21 0mg

Trazodone April 24 50mg 

Currently on 60mg dulox and 50mg Trazadone 

taking hydroxyzine and xanax as needed

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy