blanketsareawesome

blanketsareawesome: Weaning off Pristiq. Beginning of PSSD?

blanketsareawesome
I'm a 25 year old female. I began taking Wellbutrin 75 mg in February 2019. I realized that my anxiety increased significantly, so my doctor suggested adding on another medication. I began Pristiq 25 mg at the end of November 2019. It made me calm down, but lowered sex drive. Could get turned on but not masturbate. In late December 2019 I developed Serotonin Syndrome, because I used St. Johns Wort along with these medications and accidentally took two Pristiq one day. I couldn't feel or think. I was almost catatonic. I was numb from my face to my feet. My ****** included and I didn't even find anyone attractive. No interest in sex. Emotionally, I couldn't feel much, but cry sometimes out of fear. I couldn't remember things or focus. I couldn't feel when I had to pee or poop.

My doctor wanted me to wean off the Pristiq. She told me to take my pill every three days for two weeks. I began doing that Tuesday January 6th. I saw minor improvements throughout the week and the Sunday January 12th, it seemed as though it all lifted. I felt like me again. I could laugh and cry. I felt desire for love and a relationship again. I could masturbate and orgasm and they were intense. I was so relieved and happy that I only had one more week of taking Pristiq. I was happy that I felt like a person again.

I took my Pristiq the next day, Monday, January 13th. I was weary about it, but figured I should wean myself off it one more week like the doctor instructed. I heard the withdrawals were brutal anyways. I felt great Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday it slowly went downhill. I could still masturbate and orgasm until Wednesday evening. My ****** became dry. I couldn't get turned on. My head felt heavy and my forehead became numb. I didn't feel like myself. Again. I can display very few emotions, except to cry sometimes. I don't care about anything and feel detached. Today, I could *****************, but I don't feel anything. I felt a little more like myself in the morning, was able to cry during a tv show and feel slight sensation when someone kissed. I But now going into the evening, I am losing these feelings again. I spoke with the doctor and she told me to stop taking the Pristiq. So the last one I took was on the 13th. Is this normal? The beginning of PSSD? (I know it's early, but this is odd) Anyone experience anything similar? Any support while I go through this would be wonderful. I will keep everyone updated on my progress if they are interested.

I have a comprehensive list of my symptoms and medications I was taking up to this point included.

Untitled 3.pdf

Edited by Altostrata
masked inappropriate details

blanketsareawesome

Titled:  Possible PSSD?  Can NAC make it worse?

I'm going to preface this by saying, I've never had any of these issues before this whole situation. I've always been emotional and sexual. No matter how bad my anxiety or depression got, I never had these issues.

Edited by manymoretodays
added title, moved from benzo forum

manymoretodays
On 1/18/2020 at 9:12 PM, manymoretodays said:

Hi blankets,

We are a "family friendly" site and in paragraph 3, there is a bit of TMI.

"PSSD" is all we need to know in terms of symptom descriptions. 

Improvement or no improvement is fine to note.  No reason to tell us all the details.

Please put your medication and withdrawal history in a signature to help the mods.

PSSD and other symptoms can just go in your narratives.

If you could certainly adapt your pdf for us, and then just put some of your information, drug history and current drugs right here, on your introduction page, or in a signature format that would be great.

Welcome aboard.

L, P, H, and G,

moderator manymoretodays(mmt)

Hi blankets, and welcome aboard,

I'm just quoting my adapted first response, so this is current.  And will get your second post moved here as well, in a moment.

What are you presently taking?

I'm finding it difficult to refer back and forth to your pdf, as well.  Could you add in some of that information to your signature(no symptoms in signatures), and then the rest of your history right here in your introduction.

Thank you.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

manymoretodays
6 hours ago, blanketsareawesome said:

Titled:  Possible PSSD?  Can NAC make it worse?

I'm going to preface this by saying, I've never had any of these issues before this whole situation. I've always been emotional and sexual. No matter how bad my anxiety or depression got, I never had these issues.

Hi blankets,

I just moved this post from the benzo forum, on back here, to your main introduction.  Could you give a try a doing a signature?

What drugs are you on now?

Are you currently on a benzo?

And are you using NAC now?

This is what we've got on NAC:  N-acetylcysteine(NAC)

Welcome aboard, just trying to get you approved and started here today,

And yes, you could certainly be experiencing some PSSD, as a result of your medications/and or WD.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15319-pssd-post-ssri-sexual-dysfunction/

links to pssd specific forums ^ too

Fortunately, most all WD symptoms can be recovered from. 

L, P, H, and G,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays

manymoretodays

General links to more about tapering and withdrawal:

We generally recommend  tapering just one drug at a time,  by no more than 10% of the current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.
do take a look ^, some basics about tapering

And when did you take your last dose of this?

I'm not seeing PSSD, specifically in this list, but it is a fairly common WD(withdrawal) symptom as well as a symptom from the medications themselves.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil).

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Please take it easy on, adding in other supplements now...... and as I noticed you mentioned having some degree of serotonin syndrome, in your first post, and if it were me, I sure would want to give my nervous system a chance to settle down now, without further disruption by adding drugs or supplements.  Less is often more, in healing and recovery.

Do you have any interest in going drug free at some point? 

p.s. sorry for disorganized welcome, this is your introduction to the community page now, and where you should ask most questions, specific to your situation @blanketsareawesome
Edited by manymoretodays
additional basics and comment

blanketsareawesome

Titled Chaos after serotonin syndrome and Pristiq withdrawal.  I need someone to hear me.

I am a 25 year old female. 104 pounds. I know this is long, but I would love it anyone would take the time to read my story. I tried to make it as concise as possible, but I need to include all of the bizarre details. I made a lot of mistakes and did some really dumb things. I feel so alone and down right now.I wanted to preface this and say that before all that has just happened, I had never had any of these problems. Through my phases of anxiety and depression, I have never experienced anything like this. Even during my depression, I was still interested in things and divulged in music and made plans for the exciting things I would do in the future. Before this, I was very creative and motivated. I felt deeply. I was easily moved by movies and music and loved them. I was an empath. If anyone cried, that would make me cry. I could read others very easily. I cared deeply about my friends. I was super excitable and would often get ahead of myself with my ideas for my future. I enjoyed relationships and intimacy. I ruminated. I always slept through the night, despite my anxiety or depression. I thought about everything. I was pretty mellow, besides crying sometimes and getting nervous. I’ve never been very moody and hid my anxieties well. I don’t even want people to know when I feel bad. I don’t want attention. I don’t like to ask for help, but this is misery.

In 2010, I began taking Zoloft 100 mg and Buspirone 10 mg (2x day). I was in High School and  had experienced some intense anxiety that made it difficult for me to socialize and function. I was constantly nervous and felt it in my stomach and chest. Once I started taking these medications, I felt a lot better. I didn’t feel like I was going to cry or puke if I went to a social functions.

In January of 2019, I decided to get off of Zoloft and Buspirone. This is because, I started to become tired very easily and unmotivated. I fell into a depression. I needed to get a job and was too exhausted to get one. I felt like the medication was only making things worse at this point. I weaned off of them with no problems at all.

February 2019, I began taking Wellbutrin 75 mg. I started to feel alive. I had enjoyed sex while I was on Zoloft and desired intimacy, but on Wellbutrin, I was able to orgasm for the first time. My sexual desire increased even more. I had a lot of energy and I ended up landing my dream job.  

Late November 2019, despite the benefits of Wellbutrin, I was having horrible anxiety. I was constantly nervous and overthinking. My mom had to come and stay with me a few times, because I was so anxious. I knew it would get in the way of my job, so I went to my doctor. She prescribed me 25 mg Pristiq to take a long with the Wellbutrin. I began taking the Pristiq and started to feel calm again. I could get through my day without anxiety. However, As time went on, I noticed that I wasn't as interested in sex, when I was I could do nothing about it (If you know what I mean).  

Mid December 2019, I went to my doctor and told her that I didn’t want to deal with the sexual dysfunction that came along with the Pristiq. I was eventually put on buspirone 10 mg (2x a day) to take with the Wellbutrin. She told me to just stop taking the Pristiq since I had only been on it 3 weeks. I picked up my new prescription at CVS and looked over to this shelf. It had weighted blankets, aromatherapy oils and some supplements. I saw St. John’s Wort and Valerian Root. Apparently they were good for anxiety.  I purchased these along with my medications at the pharmacy.

On December 24, 2019, I began taking the buspirone 10 mg (2x a day) with Wellbutrin 75 mg, 300 mg St. Johns Wort and 450 mg Valerian Root. I did this for four days, until December 27th. I read how bad the supplements were to take with antidepressants and I stopped. My anxiety was even worse, so I stopped taking the Buspirone and began retaking the Pristiq 25 mg. I figured that I would get off of it, once I got through this hard time in my life.
December 28, 2019. I began taking the Pristiq 25 mg again and felt calm. I was only taking Pristiq 25 mg and Wellbutrin 75mg now.

December 31, 2019. New years eve I had 3 mixed drinks and completely blacked out. I was sick the entire night and felt ill the entire next day. I don’t drink much, however, this was not normal after only a few drinks.

January 1, 2020. I felt extremely anxious and sick the whole day. My hands kept falling asleep and had the pins and needles feeling. From now to January 4th, I began having mood swings and random shaking. I felt sick. To make matters worse, I accidentally took an extra Pristiq this day.

January 4, 2020. My genitals went numb. I felt like it was just attached to my body.  I would go between feeling extremely anxious and nervous to calm and almost high. I was having trouble swallowing and my mouth was really dry. I started to notice that my legs would randomly shake and that I was having trouble remembering words to songs that I enjoyed. I had half a mixed drink with my friend that night and returned to my Uncles house to stay the night. I was anxious about how I was feeling and cried. I fell asleep for two hours and woke up wired. I felt odd. My heart was beating really fast and I paced my room for two hours before I decided to drive home. My forehead was numb and I felt pressure in my head.  

January 5, 2020.I made it home to my apartment. I didn’t feel like myself and I was out of it. I paced my apartment for a few hours. I had trouble expressing genuine emotion. Even when I cried, it felt forced. But I was terrified. My chest and stomach went numb. I felt almost high. Despite not sleeping the night before, I was wide awake. I paced my apartment for hours. My genitals were numb and so were my legs and feet. My body was shaking. My coordination was off. It felt like if I touched them, that there was a layer of clothing between them. Pretty much, I had a breakup in a relationship that night, due to other things. Normally, this would have left me devastated. I cried a bit, but felt high after and did not care one bit. My mom arrived later that night. I wasn’t thinking of anything. I was just shaking uncontrollably. I would cry because I was confused about what was happening to my body, but I was indifferent to everything else.  I felt sedated. I fell asleep. My mom told me that I was shaking in my sleep.  I woke up 3 hours later, completely wired she took me to the hospital.

January 6, 2020.  I didn’t take the Pristiq this day, because I had a feeling that this was serotonin syndrome. I did, however, take the Wellbutrin. I had all the same symptoms as the day before. However, I felt as though I couldn’t cry, even if I wanted to. My legs shook uncontrollably when I tried to lift them. I couldn’t tell when I had to pee or poop. The doctor tested my urine and the results were normal. He said that I very likely was on the verge of serotonin syndrome. He said all of my feeling would return within a couple of weeks. He told me to talk to the doctor who prescribed me the meds about tapering off. I slept for 11 hours that night.

January 7, 2020.  I took Pristiq 25 mg today.  I went into the doctor who prescribed me the medications. She believed that I had serotonin syndrome and that I should wean off Pristiq. She also agreed that everything would come back and that it would just take some time. She told me to take Pristiq every 3 days for 2 weeks and that I could stay on the Wellbutrin 75 mg for now. So I took one January 7th, 10th and 13th.

January 7th-12, 2020. I felt foggy and disconnected throughout the week. I felt this pressure in my head. I didn’t find people attractive (normally do). My genitals were really dry and numb.  I felt tingling all over my body. I felt pins and needles everywhere. There was a pressure and heaviness in the top middle of my head. Pressure became more intense when I closed my eyes to think.  I wasn’t interested in things that I usually am (music, movies, talking to my friends).I was having trouble socially and felt like I couldn’t connect to people. At work, I thought one of my coworkers was a customer and I couldn’t  even remember how to do the cash register. I was forgetful. I didn’t remember to brush my teeth or shower or to even put my seat belt on (all things which I am normally very adamant about. I didn’t care about anything. II didn’t feel empathy for others. I felt almost high and didn’t feel much anxiety. When I did feel anxiety, it was accompanied by anxious thoughts and I’d feel more myself. I didn’t get excited about anything. Certain symptoms would come and go throughout the week. I slowly regained the ability to feel when I had to pee and poop throughout the week. I also was able to sleep.

January 12, 2020. I felt awful all day and then all of a sudden, in the evening, I regained all of my feeling. My sexual dysfunction was gone. I found people attractive on tv and was excited for the future. I began planning trips I’d go on and cute outfits I wanted to wear. I was excited for my future and having a family one day. I could feel the full range of emotions again. I was excited to start new projects at work. Normally, I have some acne on my face. Throughout this whole situation, I didn’t have any acne and then it returned today.

January 13, 2020. I was set to take my 25 mg Pristiq. I was weary about it since I regained all of my feeling, but decided it was probably best to continue weaning off of the medication. I heard Pristiq withdrawal was brutal anyway. I took it. Didn’t sleep.

January 14, 2020. I felt pretty good. I woke up with a really swollen face. I  really I had sexual function and was happy. Didn’t sleep.

January 15, 2020. I felt pretty good at the beginning of the day and it slowly went downhill. I told my doctor about how I was feeling and she told me to just stop taking the Pristiq.  I slowly started losing emotional feeling and got that brain fog again. I fell asleep that night and woke up two hours later. I was completely wired.  felt suicidal. How could I regain everything and lose it again? Was it because I took that stupid pill? I knew better. I decided to drive home to my parents house, 4 hours away at 3 in the morning. I shouldn’t have driven home on such little sleep. But I was desperate. I saw a glowing cow on the way there (never hallucinated in my life), but I put that down to the lack of sleep and withdrawal.

January 16 -17, 2020.
I felt out of it. I couldn’t sleep. Intense pressure in temples. Muscle spasm and burning feeling on my skin. Didn’t feel myself. Could laugh sometimes, but emotions were far and few between.

January 18, 2020. I started my period for the second time this month (only had a 20 day cycle/ I’m normally extremely regular). I read online that NAC helped people with their withdrawal symptoms and that it helped with their anhedonic feelings. I spoke with a lead figure in PSSD research and he told me that I should try NAC and that it would help protect my brain from damage that could be occurring. He told me to take 300 mg tablets for two weeks. I figured that I would give it a shot. I told myself I would never try another supplement, but I was desperate. i should have been patient.That day, before I took the NAC, I began to feel a little more like myself. I wasn’t so apathetic. I felt a range of emotions. I felt love, sentimentality, happiness, anxiousness. When I saw people kiss on tv, I felt a flutter down there. Things were looking good. I began to feel a little sleepy, I hadn’t felt that way for the last week. I went to the store and picked up the NAC. I didn’t think it would hurt anything. They only had 600mg tablets and the pharmacist said not to split them and that my body would flush out whatever I didn’t need. I took the NAC. I began to feel really calm and really tired. I ended up getting sick, but I figured that was because I ate a lot at dinner. I slept well that night.

January 19, 2020. I woke up and felt really calm, but completely out of it. Emotionally I did not feel much. A lot of pressure in my head. Feels like someone is tying a band around my head. Feel a pressure in top middle of head. I tooke the NAC. I returned back to my apartment.  I decided I would no longer take the NAC due to how I was feeling.

January 20, 2020. I woke up with a really swollen face. At the beginning of the day, I felt out of it and apathetic. I went to get checked up by my doctor that prescribed me the medications. I told her how I felt. She suggested that I could be bipolar or schizophrenic. She told me that I should probably be in patient and that “the mind can convince us that we feel certain ways.” Which is something I believe, but I don’t believe its the same in this circumstances. I believe it has to do with what i’ve put my brain through. After this, I cried uncontrollably for the rest of the day. I had blood tests done. Everything came back normal. I still had the pressure in the top middle of head, the pressure in my temples and the band feeling around my head. My vision is a bit blurry.

January 21, 2020. I had a small window this morning, where I watched some videos and they made me happy and I was moved emotionally by a sweet video on reddit. I felt like I could socialize with people at work and felt good. My head didn’t feel so heavy and I didn’t have so much pressure in my head. My vision was blurry and my ears hurt. It all went away midday and I began to cry. I couldn’t focus. I cried the entire day. I didn’t feel the physical sadness or fear or anxiety. I just cried. My mom ended up having to come. I felt suicidal. I was crying the whole day.  She didn’t know I had felt this way and cried and so did my dad. Normally, if anyone is upset at all, especially my parents, I will cry. I can normally feel when others feel. When they cried, I didn’t feel bad. That’s not me. That’s never been me. What has happened to me?

January 22, 2019. Now I have physical anxiety in the mornings without the accompanying thoughts. I thought I didn’t feel much before, but now it’s even worse. It’s like my windows become smaller and smaller with less and less. It’s like a lose a bit of myself each time.I still feel this pressure in the top middle of my head. My vision is still a bit blurry.

My therapist thinks I have conversion disorder, where my body convinces itself theres a problem. I honestly feel its something neurological brought on by the serotonin syndrome and the withdrawal of medication and possibly the supplement made it worse. I am currently only on Wellbutrin 75mg (no other supplements or anything) and have been on that consistently throughout this whole thing.

I know that the real me wants a future. I want a career. I know I won’t be able to keep my job if this continues. I want love and a family and I’m afraid that that won’t be possible if I feel like this. I miss who I was. I am angry at myself for ever being unkind to her. I hate that it took this for me to see that she was great. I could have probably avoided this situation entirely if I would have realized that sooner. I took my life for granted. Weeks before this, I joked with my friend about how I hoped someone would hit my frontal lobe, so that I wouldn’t have anxiety anymore. Now I’ve got my wish. I’ve realized that It’s better to feel every range of emotion than to feel a limited amount. It's so defeating to not feel understood, to feel like you’re crazy. It’s like the real me is underneath trying to get out, but i’m covered by this unsentimental shell.

I would love to have support through this difficult time, while I'm figuring everything out. It would be much appreciated.

Why can I cry but not feel much else? Did I make things worse by taking NAC? Will I recover? Advice? I

Edited by manymoretodays
merged 2nd intro topic with 1st, title added

blanketsareawesome

@manymoretodays

I made a new introduction post. Let me know if i need to change anything.

blanketsareawesome

@manymoretodays

Also thank you so much for taking the time to respond. It means a lot.

manymoretodays

Thank you blankets.

I went ahead and merged it.  We like to keep members to just one introduction topic and keep everything in one place.  I will take another read through when time allows.  Busy morning and afternoon here, on the ground.  Hopefully back later on today.  Car in.  Afternoon commitment.  Life on the ground calls.

We are all just volunteers here blankets......and do our best to get to everyone.  I think for the immediate time frame, if you can just stick with your usual Wellbutrin 75 mg, same time, each day and no additional drugs, supplements, and/or alcohol.......you might start to feel a bit more WD stable, at least know when to expect certain symptoms.

When do you take the Wellbutrin 75 mg?

Take a look around the site.  Especially symptoms and self care and some of the non-drug coping skills.  Get familiar with the layout here.

And so, this is your introduction spot.  Home base for now.  You've introduced yourself to the community.  And should post anything about your specific situation/case right here.  And further questions and concerns.  Welcome!

Hang in there sweetie.  Rooting for you. 

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

blanketsareawesome

@manymoretodays  Thank you so much for responding. I'm glad there is a forum like this to help people like me not feel so alone.  I am still taking Wellbutrin 75 mg right now at 8 every morning. I am going to try to be patient with myself through this.

blanketsareawesome

I just wanted to Update. Yesterday afternoon I began to feel more myself. i was able to laugh and didn't feel so foggy. No sexual interest or increased empathy for others returned.

Could the NAC have caused furthur damage? Before I took it, I was having a small window and I was able to feel "flutters" down there and feel sentimal.

blanketsareawesome

@manymoretodays    After the NAC, I had a bad wave for about 5 days. However, the fog ended up lifting and I became myself again. I felt completely normal again. I had anxiety, I had happiness, sentimentality. I was listening to my favorite music again and watching shows i liked. This lasted about a week and a half. Basically until last night. I drank a shot and a half of whiskey over ice with my friend. I realize this was dumb now, I guess I thought I was out of the woods. I drank it slow and stopped when I started to feel foggy. I fell asleep in a room that my frieend had vaped weed in a couple of hours before. I could smell it a bit but it wasn't too bad.  I woke up feeling anhedonic again. I can't cry or feel happy. I feel foggy and my head feels pressure again. Could the alcohol have caused permanent damage or whatever remnants was left of the weed in the room i slept in? I feel so hopeless. The other times, I felt more confident it would come back, but I worry that since alcohol deals directly with serotonin that I could have caused damage.

manymoretodays

Hi blankets,

On 1/23/2020 at 3:05 AM, blanketsareawesome said:

Could the NAC have caused furthur damage? Before I took it, I was having a small window and I was able to feel "flutters" down there and feel sentimal.

6 hours ago, blanketsareawesome said:

Could the alcohol have caused permanent damage or whatever remnants was left of the weed in the room i slept in? I feel so hopeless. The other times, I felt more confident it would come back, but I worry that since alcohol deals directly with serotonin that I could have caused damage.

Probably not, blankets, as far as permanent damage.  More like a wake-up call, to be more cautious about what you put in your body.

I've always looked at alcohol as a natural depressant.  I mean once the initial effect wears off, I always found it to be. I don't give much credence any more to serotonin theories/myths on the effect of it on "depression" and "anxiety".  That's what got us into this psychopharmacological epidemic in the first place. 

I'm unable to access the link above and that's okay.

Thank you for getting your signature done. 

No doubt you are experiencing some WD syndrome, and hopefully recovery now from too much serotonin/serotonergic effects . 

Are you interested in tapering the Wellbutrin at some point?  You might be interested in learning more about Wellbutrin here:

Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL(buproprion)

It looks like you actually did have some delayed WD from your Zoloft and buspirone.  That often is the case.  And especially after 9-10 years of use, which your signature indicates.  You were started on the meds/drugs at age 15 or so?

Delayed onset of withdrawal symptoms

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Also of interest:

PSSD post SSRI sexual dysfunction

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/3882-obsessive-compulsive-disorder-or-ocd-repetitive-intrusive-thoughts-com

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/5997-health-anxiety-hypochondria-and-obsession-with-symptoms/

After so many different drug changes and additions, your present nervous system is still experiencing some disregulation.  This all takes some time to heal. 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

It sounds like you are having some windows now, and this is good.

Best,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
elaboration, more links to explain

Altostrata

Don't drink, you're making your own problems.

You have probably been told that you cannot drink while you're taking psychiatric drugs.

Every time you set yourself back with some impetuous act, it will take your nervous system some weeks to recover. Recovery will be slow and frustrating, with lots of ups and downs. We can't fix you. You will have to find the will to take care of yourself.

blanketsareawesome

@Altostrata @manymoretodays   Thank you for the responses. I understand that I made a mistake and did something dumb. I thought I was out of the woods, since I was going on two weeks of being normal. I understand now that just because you seem fine, doesn't mean you are. I just wanted to know if that could have done any permanent damage or if it was just a set back. I don't fully understand how this all works. I will not be putting anything else in my body and will take care of myself from here on out. I won't touch alcohol again.

Altostrata

This applies to setbacks, too: The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

What is your current daily drug schedule?

Have you tried this:

On 1/21/2020 at 7:40 AM, manymoretodays said:
We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil).

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

blanketsareawesome

Hi @Altostrata . I take Wellbutrin 75 mg around 8 every morning. I am not taking any other drugs at this time. I was thinking of giving fish oil a shot.

blanketsareawesome

@manymoretodays  I am still having the same issues and lots of pins and needles pains in the top of my head. Especially the top middle. Could this be kindling?

also I decided to start taking some magnesium. It has helped me get sleepy but I have yet to be able to sleep fully since Saturday. 

I think one day I will get off of Wellbutrin but I’m afraid to put my nervous system through anything more right now. 

blanketsareawesome

Just wanted to update. Personality is starting to come back and I’m less robotic. I feel a little less foggy and slept for a solid 6 hours straight for the first time in a week. Still having sexual dysfunction and tension headaches. Not fully myself but hoping it gets better soon.

manymoretodays

Hi blankets,

Yes, this sounds good.

And no, I do not think that pins and needles and funny head feelings are kindling.

More likely:

Brain Zaps

and

Another common WD symptom is the brain fog that you mention:

Brain Fog: Blank mind, comprehension, concentration.......

And I'm delighted that you have experienced a bit of a window, in feeling like yourself again.  That's good blankets!  Yay! 

And yes, best to just stay put right now with your current Wellbutrin and dose.  Give your nervous system a chance to reach some stability.  It may not be perfect, yet as long as it's manageable, you might consider tapering again in another several months.  For now, just a day at a time.  Keep noting improvements too, rather than focus too much on all the negatives.

Doing great blankets!

L, P, H, and R,

mmt

• Like 1

blanketsareawesome

@manymoretodays thank you for your response. The responses keep me holding on and feeling encouraged. My window lasted for about a day and now it’s gone again.Even during the window, I felt 65 percent myself.  I’m having symptoms that I didn’t have before like the feeling that my brain is shaking when I lay it against a wall or my pillow. It’s only happened twice but it’s odd. Also I have this burning feeling in my head that persists when I go back into the wave and a heavy feeling with “pins” on the top of my head. I’m trying to stay positive, but it’s hard when you feel you’ve damaged yourself. When I recovered the other times, everything alleviated at once pretty much. Like a fog lifted. I need to not compare to the other times Ive  recovered because this time I made a huge mistake and took something more intense this time. Just happy I had a window and I hope I have more. 

• Like 1

blanketsareawesome

I had my blood tested and the doctor told me my iron levels And b12 levels are extremely Low and they want me to take supplements. I’m scared to take any supplements right now. Are these safe or should I look strictly to food sources for these deficiencies?

i wonder if these could be exacerbating my issues. 

manymoretodays

Hi blankets,

I found some discussion of low iron in this topic:  Ferritin too low

I know that some members have needed to take iron while in WD.  Other than that I don't know much on low iron.

Are you fatigued?

On the B12 specifically we have this topic and discussion:  Vitamin B12: essential for mood , nervous system

I think I saw a bit of discussion around iron there too.  It's a longer topic, so be sure to read the whole thing.....so you don't miss anything.

My own experience with the sublingual(dissolves under the tongue) Vitamin B12 has been good.  I've been taking it all along and find it calming.  I take it at bedtime every night, and have, like I said for years now.  Very calming for me.

Beware of mixed supplements however, many do find some of the B Vitamins too stimulating.  There's a whole variety of different B vitamins.

Best to stay with single ingredient supplements, and only add in one at a time.

Go slow, start low too!  So you can determine if you have an untoward reaction and then can know from where it came.

Less is always more in WD, meaning start low, go slow so that if you do experience an untoward reaction, you know where it came from and can quit.

Hypersensitive to B vitamins or B vitamin complex?

I think you could consider food sources, and may find some links to more on that in the above.  If you do need some iron or B12 now though, more quickly due to symptoms of low iron, or B12 defciency,  again do a trial of a small amount first, of one or the other.

On 1/21/2020 at 8:40 AM, manymoretodays said:

We just don't know really, on how WD might effect so many things.  That's why we really can only endorse the ^ supplements.  And so many just plain scary supplements out there now too, which can be detrimental to healing from WD.

Let me know what you decide, and do a bit of your own research too.  To search for stuff here I usually just do the survivingantidepressants.org + topic I am looking for in my main browser.

Alternatively, you can use the search box, at the top of a forum to see if we have a topic and discussion on a particular subject.  You'll see the different forums from the main page or home page. 

(Just an aside here) And no doubt, blankets, that your own techno skills probably outrank mine.  B)  Just due to the fact that I think you are much younger and have probably grown up using the internet.  I'm improving too though.  I do often have to limit my own screen time, especially on my desktop, as it can get too stimulating and/or tiring if I do too, too long in front of my bigger screen.  And I'm not much for doing stuff from my small smart phone.  Just for quick checks, my smart phone really.  Brief messages, emails.  Listening to stuff.  Once in awhile I'll read on it.   Others do it differently.  Whatever works best for you.

Hope that helps.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
spacing, a bolding

blanketsareawesome

Hi @manymoretodays,

I haven't been fatigued. I've actually been wired during my waves. I was just starting to be able to sleep full nights earlier this week. However, I did have some of the b12 and only took a drop to test out. Normally, people take 3 full droppers a day. I only took 1/10 of a single dropper. I started to experience intense anxiety and stomach issues. It didn't help that I had cereal that morning. I had some bran flakes and apparently those have TONS of supplements added. I had no idea. I ended up puking it up pretty much immediately, so I don't know how much my body absorbed. Makes me nervous that I had that many vitamins though. Not sure which one would have caused the wave. I'd say I was feeling 90% myself most of the time for the last couple of days. Now I  have been thrown back into a wave. Granted, not as intense as the other times, but a wave nonetheless. Insomnia, head pressure, feeling unlike myself and emotionally blunted. I hope that this is just a set back and I haven't done damage. My mom is leaving tomorrow, so I'm sad that I have to be alone during another wave, but I am going to try to get through it. I'm going to stay away from all supplements from now on. It seems that they always mess me up. I'm going to trust my body to heal on its own and fix these deficiencies through food. I'm sure I had this deficiency before and I healed the other times, so I don't think this would have fixed anything. Didn't think I'd have to watch out for cereal, but here we are. Gonna try to stick to only natural foods and read all the labels for anything else I might eat. Regardless of what it is.

On the plus side:
- My work has given me this month off, so I can focus solely on healing. I'm very lucky to work somewhere that allows this.

- I was having trouble with visualizing things, but that has let up and I can visualize again.  Not super vivid, but a lot better than I had been. Like I couldn't think up images in my head, which was odd for me, a natural day dreamer.

- I was also having pain in my head when I tried to think, but this has also subsided. I'm happy about this.

- Also, much of the sharp "pins and needles" pains in my head have subsided as well.

- I was having trouble enjoying music and watching movies, I had some windows where the music from Harry Potter made me excited and feel like a kid again and I enjoyed watching the movie. I was also able to give a big genuine laugh for the first time in a while.

I also want to express my gratitude for this website. Wow. Like I probably would have continued to make even more stupid choices if it weren't for you guys. My doctor was trying to get me back on antidepressants and I was like "NOPE." I'm not sure if I would have said that if it weren't for this site and I could have been in even more of a pickle. I would have been looking for quick fixes, instead of giving my body time to heal on its own.  So thank you for what you do! 

Blankets

blanketsareawesome

I am feeling so hopeless. I feel like such an idiot. I should have known better. I only had 250 mcg of B12 split between two days. They were small tiny trial amounts.  I was sleeping fine before and on the way to healing. Now, I have severe insomnia, anxiety, blurry vision and anhedonia. I read online that b12 takes years to get out of your system and since i'm so sensitive, I would imagine these effects will wear on my for a long time. I want to cry. I can't live like this.

blanketsareawesome

Hi Everyone. I did brain mapping and apparently I have brain inflammation and injury to the right hemisphere of the brain.

1. The qEEG analyses were deviant from normal and showed dysregulation in bilateral frontal lobes especially in the left frontal lobe, bilateral temporal lobes especially in the left temporal lobe, the right parietal lobe and bilateral occipital lobes especially in the right occipital lobe. LORETA showed dysregulation in the left inferior parietal lobule, left parahippocampal gyrus and left uncus. The frontal lobes are involved in executive functioning, abstract thinking, expressive language, sequential planning, mood control and social skills. The temporal lobes are involved in auditory information processing, short-term memory, receptive language on the left and face recognition on the right. The parietal lobes are involved in visual-spatial information processing, short-term memory, executive attention, receptive language on the left and empathy control and awareness of emotional expression in others on the right (e.g., prosody). The occipital lobes are involved in the visual processing of color, form, movement, visual perception and spatial processing. The parahippocampal gyrus is involved in the creation of new memories, retrieval of short-term memory and attention control. The uncus is

involved in olfactory processing and emotional, memory associational processing. To the extent there is deviation from normal electrical patterns in these structures, then sub-optimal functioning is expected.

4.  The results showed indications of brain injury/inflammation especially on the right hemisphere, and obsessive compulsive symptoms (OCD). Cognitive, emotional and social functions are affected. It can be seen that navigating daily life can be a struggle.

DETAILED NARRATIVE

LINKED EARS: The Linked Ears power spectral analyses were deviant from normal with excessive power in bilateral frontal regions especially in the left frontal region over a wide frequency range, excessive power was present in bilateral temporal regions especially in the left temporal region over a wide frequency range, excessive power was present in right parietal regions and especially in the midline parietal region at 3 Hz and 5 Hz and excessive power was also present in bilateral occipital regions especially in the right occipital region over a wide frequency range.

SURFACE LAPLACIAN: The Laplacian power spectral analyses were deviant from normal with excessive power in the left frontal region from 3 - 6 Hz and excessive power was also present in midline parietal regions at 28 Hz.

NEUROIMAGING: LORETA 3-dimensional source analyses were consistent with the surface EEG and showed elevated current sources in the left Parahippocampal Gyrus with a maximum at 3 Hz (Brodmann areas 34, Amygdala & 37). Elevated LORETA current source were present in the left Uncus with a maximum at 4 Hz (Brodmann areas 28, 34 & 36). Elevated LORETA current source also were present in the left Inferior Parietal Lobule with a maximum at 28 Hz (Brodmann areas 40, 39 & 7).

CONNECTIVITY ANALYSES: EEG amplitude asymmetry, coherence and EEG phase were deviant from normal, especially in frontal, temporal, parietal and occipital relations. Elevated coherence was present in frontal, temporal, parietal and occipital regions which indicates reduced functional differentiation. Reduced coherence was present in frontal and parietal regions which indicates reduced functional connectivity. Both conditions are often related to reduced speed and efficiency of information processing.

Thombs
12 minutes ago, blanketsareawesome said:

Hi Everyone. I did brain mapping and apparently I have brain inflammation and injury to the right hemisphere of the brain.

1. The qEEG analyses were deviant from normal and showed dysregulation in bilateral frontal lobes especially in the left frontal lobe, bilateral temporal lobes especially in the left temporal lobe, the right parietal lobe and bilateral occipital lobes especially in the right occipital lobe. LORETA showed dysregulation in the left inferior parietal lobule, left parahippocampal gyrus and left uncus. The frontal lobes are involved in executive functioning, abstract thinking, expressive language, sequential planning, mood control and social skills. The temporal lobes are involved in auditory information processing, short-term memory, receptive language on the left and face recognition on the right. The parietal lobes are involved in visual-spatial information processing, short-term memory, executive attention, receptive language on the left and empathy control and awareness of emotional expression in others on the right (e.g., prosody). The occipital lobes are involved in the visual processing of color, form, movement, visual perception and spatial processing. The parahippocampal gyrus is involved in the creation of new memories, retrieval of short-term memory and attention control. The uncus is

involved in olfactory processing and emotional, memory associational processing. To the extent there is deviation from normal electrical patterns in these structures, then sub-optimal functioning is expected.

4.  The results showed indications of brain injury/inflammation especially on the right hemisphere, and obsessive compulsive symptoms (OCD). Cognitive, emotional and social functions are affected. It can be seen that navigating daily life can be a struggle.

DETAILED NARRATIVE

LINKED EARS: The Linked Ears power spectral analyses were deviant from normal with excessive power in bilateral frontal regions especially in the left frontal region over a wide frequency range, excessive power was present in bilateral temporal regions especially in the left temporal region over a wide frequency range, excessive power was present in right parietal regions and especially in the midline parietal region at 3 Hz and 5 Hz and excessive power was also present in bilateral occipital regions especially in the right occipital region over a wide frequency range.

SURFACE LAPLACIAN: The Laplacian power spectral analyses were deviant from normal with excessive power in the left frontal region from 3 - 6 Hz and excessive power was also present in midline parietal regions at 28 Hz.

NEUROIMAGING: LORETA 3-dimensional source analyses were consistent with the surface EEG and showed elevated current sources in the left Parahippocampal Gyrus with a maximum at 3 Hz (Brodmann areas 34, Amygdala & 37). Elevated LORETA current source were present in the left Uncus with a maximum at 4 Hz (Brodmann areas 28, 34 & 36). Elevated LORETA current source also were present in the left Inferior Parietal Lobule with a maximum at 28 Hz (Brodmann areas 40, 39 & 7).

CONNECTIVITY ANALYSES: EEG amplitude asymmetry, coherence and EEG phase were deviant from normal, especially in frontal, temporal, parietal and occipital relations. Elevated coherence was present in frontal, temporal, parietal and occipital regions which indicates reduced functional differentiation. Reduced coherence was present in frontal and parietal regions which indicates reduced functional connectivity. Both conditions are often related to reduced speed and efficiency of information processing.

Hello,

I am doing now my PhD and I am study EEG and brain. RHD damage have various causes: mostly tumors, infections, stroke, seizure or brain injury. There are posibility to restore RGH function, Treatment can be restorative (i.e., aimed at improving or restoring impaired function) and/or compensatory (i.e., aimed at compensating for deficits not amenable to retraining).

• Like 1

beardsagain

Have you suffered any concussion or TBI or do you attribute this to the meds? I am also interested in getting this type of testing done.

blanketsareawesome

@beardsagain I have never had any sort of head injury before. They aren’t really sure what caused it. Possibly the serotonin syndrome at the beginning of January. I’m assuming the meds. They thought that I had done cocaine or something, that’s how bad it was. I had to inform them that I’ve never done any drugs. Only smoked weed two or three times years ago and alcohol. She told me antidepressants and alcohol could never do that. They also said it could be a brain infection. I highly recommend doing the test.  It shows you a lot and can give you guidance on what to do next. I’m getting an mri next week to rule out MS and getting testing to see if there is an infection. 

beardsagain

Yeah I got an MRI done a while ago, it came back negative. They said my brain looks as "healthy as it gets". But I will look into this type of test.

blanketsareawesome

@beardsagain I highly recommend. She said structurally and everything my brain was healthy, but that some sort of reaction happened to cause the symptoms.

blanketsareawesome

@beardsagain  it also showed that my neurons weren’t firing or were over firing in certain areas. Which can be beneficial.

manymoretodays
On 2/20/2020 at 5:45 AM, Thombs said:

Hello,

I am doing now my PhD and I am study EEG and brain. RHD damage have various causes: mostly tumors, infections, stroke, seizure or brain injury. There are posibility to restore RGH function, Treatment can be restorative (i.e., aimed at improving or restoring impaired function) and/or compensatory (i.e., aimed at compensating for deficits not amenable to retraining).

Hmmm, what kind of treatment Thombs?

And I'm wondering if when the mapping was done, did the researchers take into account medication histories?  I don't see medications listed as a cause, in your post, Thombs?

And wondering if medication usage was taken into account in your case too, @blanketsareawesome?  

Why are you having brain mapping done, blankets?

I'd be really surprised, if they are correlating WD syndrome to any of these findings.  And honestly, don't know much about brain mapping.  I would also wonder on, what anyones' brain mapping shows, or the average Joe, say ? 

I mean what are their comparisons like, with their findings?

And ahh, found a topic, on site, that may apply(I haven't had time to read it all through myself yet, and as I stated I don't anything about brain mapping, hopefully, it is not being used to clarify psychiatric diagnonsense??, we are not big on diagnoses here, if you were not already aware of that)

Brain scans----fMRI, QEEG, PET , or SPECT----for psychiatric problems

We may want to put further general discussion around this ^

And keep blanketsareawesome's Introduction, preserved for her specific concerns.

Thanks,

moderator mmt

@blanketsareawesome

Edited by manymoretodays

manymoretodays
On 2/14/2020 at 1:19 PM, blanketsareawesome said:

I am feeling so hopeless. I feel like such an idiot. I should have known better. I only had 250 mcg of B12 split between two days. They were small tiny trial amounts.  I was sleeping fine before and on the way to healing. Now, I have severe insomnia, anxiety, blurry vision and anhedonia. I read online that b12 takes years to get out of your system and since i'm so sensitive, I would imagine these effects will wear on my for a long time. I want to cry. I can't live like this.

Any improvement since the 14th of February, blankets?  With the symptoms noted above?

I had one reaction to a mixed B vitamin supplement, and it only took about 24 hours for it to clear.  I don't think it takes years, to get B12, singular, out of one's system.  That would be very strange.  At least with the other B's I know, that with excess anyway, one just "pees it out", and forgive my language there.  Hence the sometimes really yellow/orangy color of urine after Bvitamins. 

I know we have a couple topics:

Hypersensitive to B vitamin or B vitamin complex?

Vitamin B12: essential for mood, nervous system

And.....I would be really surprised if it takes years to get B12, out of ones system.

And yes, keep in mind you are really sensitive right now, to all kinds of things.  Hopefully, the Bvitamin experiment and then......experience, will subside quickly.

blanketsareawesome

@manymoretodays @Thombs

I got back on track a bit after the B12.  I had brain mapping done because my symptoms were scaring me and I wanted to see if it could show anything. Especially, because this time I had new Symptoms which included horrible headaches and feeling like my brain is shaking. I feel about 65 percent myself, which is good. I’m happy that I’m not completely Anhedonic. However, I still have trouble connecting with others and don’t feel super deeply. I am very distressed because before this I had deep romantic feelings for someone and now they are gone. I had recovered fully fairly quickly the other times but after that tiny bit of alcohol 3 weeks ago, I haven’t fully recovered. I’m worried that the alcohol had possibly caused the damage on my right hemisphere (which I know seems crazy, but my brain seems overly sensitive), because before that I was able to feel fully myself for a while. It even showed decreased empathy on my brain mapping, which terrifies me because I normally, to quote New Girl, could have an emotional connection with a shoe on the side of the road. I am seeing a neurologist next week and they are going to look into MS and some brain infections. 

blanketsareawesome

@manymoretodays

thank you so much for responding. It means a lot. Also, I should say that I told them about the serotonin syndrome and the withdrawal but they said neither could cause that injury. They were convinced I was addicted to hard drugs and that’s why (Which I’ve never touched in my life) . Or that I had an infection or MS.