blanketsareawesome: Weaning off Pristiq. Beginning of PSSD?

blanketsareawesome

blanketsareawesome
On 2/20/2020 at 7:45 AM, Thombs said:

. There are posibility to restore RGH function, Treatment can be restorative (i.e., aimed at improving or restoring impaired function) and/or compensatory (i.e., aimed at compensating for deficits not amenable to retraining).

Hi Thombs, 

Where can I find more information on the restorative and compensatory treatments?

thanks,

Blankets

-100 mg Zoloft and 10mg Buspirone (2x daily) 2010- 2019 (no problem during withdrawal)

- 75 mg Wellbutrin February 2019-Present (Had intense anxiety, so doctor added Pristiq)

Had to get off Pristiq after combining with 300 mg St. Johns Wort for four days and getting Serotonin Syndrome.

- 25 mg Pristiq End of November 2019- Beginning of January 13th 2019 (Took every 3 days for a week until off)

-Took NAC 600 mg for two days (January 18th and 19th) and stopped because I felt more anhedonic and foggy)

- January 18th 2020. Felt amazing and completely myself.

- January 30th 2020. Drank 1 oz or 1 oz 1/2 of whiskey. Completely destabilized. Most symptoms returned. Especially anhedonia. Windows and waves.

- March 2020 still struggling to stabilize.

Windows and waves

march 12 hospitalized for suicidal thoughts. They upped my Wellbutrin to 150 XR. Bad reaction. Went back to 75 mg. Gave me low dose hydroxizine 3 or four times, low dose trazadone once. Started me on 5 mg twice day buspar for a five day span. Made the fog worse. Now back to square one. Stopped all medications except for 75 mg Wellbutrin. 

For sleep: melatonin 3 mg

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blanketsareawesome

• Altostrata

• manymoretodays

• Snorky

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi blankets, and welcome aboard, I'm just quoting my adapted first response, so this is current.  And will get your second post moved here as well, in a moment. What are you presently taking

Hi blankets, A wave perhaps?  They will come and go.  So music helps you regulate a bit?  Shep put together this, and I encourage you to take a look: Music therapy/music for wellness a

I feel exactly like you!

I accidentally combined st Johns wort and Paroxetine back in 2009. I stopped the wort at night and started the Paroxetine the next morning. Back then I thought these health shop products were just placebos.

I thought I had serotonin syndrome from the interaction but maybe it was an adverse reaction. I remember the symptoms you describe.

Alcohol would also set off bad waves and reactions. I also stupidly did Mdma in a window. I went through a lot of research convinced I had done permanent damage.

Good news is I didn't and still recovered, I just added more fuel to the fire trying to research what damage had occured.

Also throughout this my sex drive was nil to the point my genitals shrunk. That came back furiously as I recovered.

April 2007 -  Seroxat 20mg

August 2008 - Cold Turkey

August 2009 - Cold Turkey

November 2009 - Reinstatement adverse reaction akathesia/suicidal/anxiety

March 2011 - Start taper

November 2012 - Crash badly at 1.25mg akathesia/suicidal/extreme anxiety

January 2013 - 5mg Seroxat, 300mg  Lyrica

April 2017 - Successfully get off Seroxat with taper followed by 4 month of withdrawal 

January 2018 - Start with constant urinary urge/pain/burning/genital sensations 2 week after anxiety/akathesia ends

January 2019 - Started reducing Lyrica as I suspect it's causing frequent urination, tinnitus, fatigue, brain fog and mental decline.

December 2019 - Off all pysch meds

blanketsareawesome

@Boris  thank you for the message. I feel a bit more encouraged from this. It’s hard to find someone with a very similar story to me, because there have been a lot of weird occurrences throughout this. Hope you are doing well now. 

-100 mg Zoloft and 10mg Buspirone (2x daily) 2010- 2019 (no problem during withdrawal)

- 75 mg Wellbutrin February 2019-Present (Had intense anxiety, so doctor added Pristiq)

Had to get off Pristiq after combining with 300 mg St. Johns Wort for four days and getting Serotonin Syndrome.

- 25 mg Pristiq End of November 2019- Beginning of January 13th 2019 (Took every 3 days for a week until off)

-Took NAC 600 mg for two days (January 18th and 19th) and stopped because I felt more anhedonic and foggy)

- January 30th 2020. Drank 1 oz or 1 oz 1/2 of whiskey. Completely destabilized. Most symptoms returned. Especially anhedonia. Windows and waves.

Windows and waves

march 12 hospitalized for suicidal thoughts. They upped my Wellbutrin to 150 XR. Bad reaction. Went back to 75 mg. Gave me low dose hydroxizine 3 or four times, low dose trazadone once. Started me on 5 mg twice day buspar for a five day span. Made the fog worse. Now back to square one. Stopped all medications except for 75 mg Wellbutrin. 

blanketsareawesome

Also @Boris , how long did it take to recover from that wave? I know it’s different for everyone but this is the longest wave I’ve been in since it all happened. 

Windows and waves

36 minutes ago, blanketsareawesome said:

Also @Boris , how long did it take to recover from that wave? I know it’s different for everyone but this is the longest wave I’ve been in since it all happened. 

I always try not to say as like you said it's different for everyone due to so many variables. My waves after my first window would normally be 3 weeks to a month but of severe intensity to the point I would nearly be hospitalized. Each wave would slowly decrease in length with longer windows over a year with big waves happening at around 1, 2 years out. Only change to that pattern was the final jumping off Paroxetine as I haven't had a wave in 2 years since coming off finally (just problems with my bladder). My withdrawal was a mess over 8 years with other meds thrown in so take my experience with a pinch of salt.

The only consistent pattern I saw which is positive was a slow lessening of symptoms with time while avoiding anything stimulating (even sex could slightly trigger it but the benefits outweighed the negatives on that front!) I can now drink alcohol and coffee finally.

My point is I guess that researching it didn't help and made my anxiety higher, I'm still on that long road but I've gained a lot of my former self back. Just waiting for my urinary system to balance back out and I'd say I'm recovered in my eyes.

April 2007 -  Seroxat 20mg

August 2008 - Cold Turkey

August 2009 - Cold Turkey

November 2009 - Reinstatement adverse reaction akathesia/suicidal/anxiety

March 2011 - Start taper

November 2012 - Crash badly at 1.25mg akathesia/suicidal/extreme anxiety

January 2013 - 5mg Seroxat, 300mg  Lyrica

April 2017 - Successfully get off Seroxat with taper followed by 4 month of withdrawal 

January 2018 - Start with constant urinary urge/pain/burning/genital sensations 2 week after anxiety/akathesia ends

January 2019 - Started reducing Lyrica as I suspect it's causing frequent urination, tinnitus, fatigue, brain fog and mental decline.

December 2019 - Off all pysch meds

blanketsareawesome

@manymoretodays  

I was doing really well 2 days ago and feel decent today. But I’ve been in a bit of a panic because I can’t remember if I double dosed my Wellbutrin 75 mg yesterday morning. I could have swore I only took it once but I can’t be sure. Do you think I would I feel the effects by now if i did? I have increased anxiety, but that may just be because I’m worried and I feel a bit of pressure in my head again, but not too bad.  I have a pill case and an app now so I don’t have to stress myself in the future. How bad is it to accidentally take an extra Wellbutrin? I’m staying on the Wellbutrin for the time being and it’s been 8 weeks since I took my last Pristiq. So I don’t now how much the extra could effect or if I would know by now if it was going to effect me?

Thank you,

blankets

Windows and waves

blanketsareawesome

@manymoretodays  

I was doing really well 2 days ago and feel decent today. But I’ve been in a bit of a panic because I can’t remember if I double dosed my Wellbutrin 75 mg yesterday morning. I could have swore I only took it once but I can’t be sure. Do you think I would I feel the effects by now if i did? I have increased anxiety, but that may just be because I’m worried and I feel a bit of pressure in my head again, but not too bad.  I have a pill case and an app now so I don’t have to stress myself in the future. How bad is it to accidentally take an extra Wellbutrin? I’m staying on the Wellbutrin for the time being and it’s been 8 weeks since I took my last Pristiq. So I don’t now how much the extra could effect or if I would know by now if it was going to effect me?

Thank you,

blankets

also I should note that the Wellbutrin is an immediate release tablet.

Windows and waves

manymoretodays

Hi blankets,

That's good you feel decent today.  IF you took an extra dose yesterday morning, it has reached reached peak plasma effect already. 

So yes, I think you would have felt the effects already.  You might have a few bumps.

Just get back on your regular schedule and dosing now.  Sounds like you have a good plan for this.

When do you take your Wellbutrin immediate release, 75 mg dose(s)?

Thanks,

mmt

Started with psycho meds circa 1988 I think 27 or 28 total.

AD's, antpsychotics, antiseizure mood stabilizers. Lithium, lamictal ,benzos, and stimulants. Some med. for narcolepsy once(Provigil,) Gabapentin........probably more.  Ask me?......I probably was on it.  Haphazard W/D's by Dr. recommend or uneducated self.

10/2014- off Lexapro--had been on highest dose 10 mg. then 5 mg. for a couple of years, went from 5 mg. to 3 mg. liquid and then CT in hospital(voluntary).  I got out of the hospital on a combination of low dose adderal salts x1/day and trileptal 150mg. x2/day.

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!

3/21/2016---I did some unwise updosing of trileptal/oxcarbazepine with some stressful stuff......doubled the above dose x2 during this last wave but began liquifying again and on approximately 68mg. starting today.  11/12//2016 24 mg. oxcarbazepine  12/9/2016 off oxcarbazepine/trileptal!!!! :) optimistic  2016 December 9- completely off all medications!!!!!

Omega3's,EPA +DHA= 1800 mg/day. Magnesium complex, orally, diluted in a liter of H2O(that I can shake up.....it usually dissolves more completely as the water gets down to room temperature) and/or Epsom salt baths prn.   Vit. C, D3, and E.  B12, melatonin tapered to 1mg., and bioidentical hormones sublingually.  Trace mineral drops.  L-lysine.  L-methylfolate=400 mcg plus daily spinach. Totally ready for a good long window to hit soon and getting better strings of full days and partial days along the way.  Definite improvement overall since I first arrived on the SA survivor ship.  Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider. manymoretodays

blanketsareawesome

Hi @manymoretodays ,

I take it at 9 in the morning after I eat my breakfast. 

Windows and waves

manymoretodays

Hi again,

Is that how it has been prescribed to you?  Just the 75 mg to be taken once a day?

Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL(buproprion)

Did you get a chance to look through the ^

(posted on your first page, too)

Usually the intermediate is taken more than once a day, you'll see more information about that, towards the end of the first post there

If you are interested in tapering, when you feel more ready to do so, I'd sure hate you, to have to go up in dose now.  And then we are also not really in the habit of doing medication management for members, that is your prescribers domain.

I have to wonder though, how your symptoms are throughout the day.  In relation to your medication.

Do a couple days of these, below, it should help to see that:

Keep daily notes

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

Take a look at the link too, I just extracted the sample note for you.  There's more in the link, that will help you understand why.

I'll take a look when you have a couple days notes posted, and then confer, as I'm wondering if you would benefit by splitting your total daily dose up.  We usually have member do this gradually.  For now though, just stay put with your regular dosing, and do some notes.  Read through the links too!  Good to get more familiar with your drug, and it's actions, and all.  Empowering stuff!

And okay......I hope today goes well for you blankets.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
elabpration

AD's, antpsychotics, antiseizure mood stabilizers. Lithium, lamictal ,benzos, and stimulants. Some med. for narcolepsy once(Provigil,) Gabapentin........probably more.  Ask me?......I probably was on it.  Haphazard W/D's by Dr. recommend or uneducated self.

10/2014- off Lexapro--had been on highest dose 10 mg. then 5 mg. for a couple of years, went from 5 mg. to 3 mg. liquid and then CT in hospital(voluntary).  I got out of the hospital on a combination of low dose adderal salts x1/day and trileptal 150mg. x2/day.

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!

3/21/2016---I did some unwise updosing of trileptal/oxcarbazepine with some stressful stuff......doubled the above dose x2 during this last wave but began liquifying again and on approximately 68mg. starting today.  11/12//2016 24 mg. oxcarbazepine  12/9/2016 off oxcarbazepine/trileptal!!!! :) optimistic  2016 December 9- completely off all medications!!!!!

Omega3's,EPA +DHA= 1800 mg/day. Magnesium complex, orally, diluted in a liter of H2O(that I can shake up.....it usually dissolves more completely as the water gets down to room temperature) and/or Epsom salt baths prn.   Vit. C, D3, and E.  B12, melatonin tapered to 1mg., and bioidentical hormones sublingually.  Trace mineral drops.  L-lysine.  L-methylfolate=400 mcg plus daily spinach. Totally ready for a good long window to hit soon and getting better strings of full days and partial days along the way.  Definite improvement overall since I first arrived on the SA survivor ship.  Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider. manymoretodays

blanketsareawesome

Hi @manymoretodays ,

Yeah. When I got prescribed in February 2019, I’ve been kept on that dosage for only once a day. But I also don’t think the woman who prescribed me is very knowledgeable. Every time I went in, she would literally spend 3 minutes with me and then hand prescriptions out like candy.

I will do that! thank you for the tip. My symptoms do tend to fluctuate throughout the day now. So I will keep track of that and post it. Thank you so much for the help. 

Windows and waves

blanketsareawesome

i haven’t been able to sleep well the last two nights and my anxiety is through the roof. I may have gotten 3 or 4 hours.  I keep having intense suicidal ideation. My head feels pressure and my emotions are getting more and more blunted. I don’t know if this is stress induced or if it was from the possible extra Wellbutrin. I’m just waiting to fall into a deeper wave right now. When I took my last pristiq, It took me three days before the wave hit again. I possibly took my extra Wellbutrin 2 days ago. I always screw everything up.

I had a window and was sleeping decently and it kills me to think I possibly ruined it because I couldn’t remember if I took my pill or not. Either way that has caused me immense stress on top of possibly losing my job and my parents becoming frustrated with me. 

im so stressed. I might lose my dream job because of this and my parents, who were previously supportive, have become frustrated with me. I’m in so much pain and the light at the end of the tunnel is becoming so much dimmer for me. I wish I was stronger. 

Windows and waves

blanketsareawesome

Could this have kindled me @manymoretodays? I’m starting to have aphantasia again and extreme head pain. 

Windows and waves

blanketsareawesome

Sorry again. This has just been a really stressful few days. I didn’t know IF I did take it, if it could cause my symptoms to return for good or render the Wellbutrin ineffective? Or if the stress can cause waves I’m having. I guess my pattern just may be different now, but usually these waves are always triggered by something. 

Windows and waves

manymoretodays

Tell me more about your symptom of aphantasia, blankets.  I had to look it up.  Describe a bit more.

The head pressure could be some WD.  As could be the perceptual, and imagery problems.

Withdrawal symptoms can show up anywhere.

I don't think you have kindled.  You haven't had any recent drug changes, except for the maybe extra dose.  You are very sensitive to these drugs, yes.  So maybe you did  take an extra dose, and it set off a bit of a reaction.  Hoping, it all settles, if so, over the next week.  And you've taken measures to be more consistent with your dosing each day, from what you said.

You may just be stabilizing a bit still, with windows and waves.  And then stress does factor in too, in exacerbating some of the heightened emotions that come with WDsyndrome..

And I'm so sorry, if the dream job and all doesn't all work out, how you wish.

Look at this, perhaps, as a time to heal and grow.  You've got time blankets.  I know it's frustrating, but you've got time.  Right now, you may need a bit of recovery time for your nervous system.

And let me know how it goes the next couple of days.  Try the notes too.  Hoping this blip of symptoms, passes, and your system begins to relax a bit more.

It does sound like you are indeed having some high anxiety now. 

Yet, you were having high anxiety even before the Pristiq and the serotonin syndrome.

Are you working with anyone in therapy or anything, that might help teach you some non-drug coping skills blankets? 

That can be helpful for some.

And then look at some of the following too:

neuroemotions

(and then this nice package put together by another moderator)

We strongly encourage members to learn and use non drug coping techniques to help get through tough times.

Understanding what is happening helps us to not get caught up with the second fear, or fear of the fear.  This happens when we experience sensations in our body and because we don't understand them we are scared of them and then start to panic.

This document has a diagram of the body explaining what happens in the body when we become anxious:

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/docs/AnxietySelfHelp.pdf

Audio FEMALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Audio MALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Non-drug techniques to cope

dealing-with-emotional-spirals

Dr Claire Weekes suffered from anxiety and learned and taught ways of coping.  There are videos available on YouTube.

Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

Resources:  Centre for Clinical Interventions (PDF modules that you can work through, eg:  Depression, Distress Intolerance, Health Anxiety, Low Self-Esteem, Panic Attacks, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Social Anxiety, Worrying)

On 4/27/2017 at 12:03 PM, brassmonkey said:

AAF: Acknowledge, Accept, Float.  It's what you have to do when nothing else works, and can be a very powerful tool in coping with anxiety.  The neuroemotional anxiety many of us feel during WD is directly caused by the drugs and their chemical reactions in the brain.  Making it so there is nothing we can do about them.  They won't respond to other drugs, relaxation techniques and the like.  They do, however, react very well to being ignored.  That's the concept behind AAF.  Acknowledge, get to know the feeling involved, explore them.  Accept, These feelings are a part of you and they aren't going anywhere fast. Float, let the feeling float off as you get on with your life as best as you can.  It's a well documented fact that the more you feed in to anxiety the worse it gets.  What starts as generalized neuroemotinal anxiety can be easily blown into a full fledged panic attack just by thinking about it.

I often liken it to an unwanted house guest.  At first you talk to them, have conversations, communicate with them.  After a while you figure out that they aren't leaving and there is nothing you can do to get rid of them.  So you go on about your day, working around them until they get bored and leave.

It can take some practice, but AAF really does work.  I hope you give it a try.

Edited by manymoretodays
spelling, additional

blanketsareawesome

Hi @manymoretodays,

I appreciate all of your help. luckily, the aphantasia came and went pretty quickly. Basically, it’s happened a couple of times since the alcohol. I couldn’t imagine things in my head. Like how you can picture things? Sometimes it would come in flashes or shaking unclear photos and then eventually got back to normal. And it has this time too. 

Since Monday, slowly my symptoms Started getting back to what they were. Granted not as intense but different. This time I’m having more body pain physically. Just lots of aches. Pins and needles like usual and have the really bad headaches and pressure. Tons of eye floaters, but those aren’t bad today. On Sunday I was starting to get back to myself. I’d say 95 percent. The most I had felt since the alcohol. I was becoming attracted to guys again, was watching shows I like, listening to music and joking around. I feel like there’s that mental block and I can feel it every time I try to think of these things or enjoy them. It almost hurts my head and I don’t feel the same way I feel about things normally. So I’m back to that. On top of not sleeping. This time, my anxiety is much much higher. Before it was more bearable, because I wasn’t feeling the physical anxiety much. Now I wake up with knots in my stomach and chest. I slept 3 hours the other night. 5 tonight and managed to get an extra two after a couple of hours awake.  I feel tense most of the time and my moods seem to change every second. From positive to negative to positive to negative. I keep having crying spells. I’m avoiding the person I have feelings for, because it’s too hard to talk to him and recognize I don’t feel those things. Reminds me that I’m not normal rn. I hope I don’t lose him in the process. 

I hope they pass too. Thank you for the tips. I will try them out. I’ll keep track going forward and post.  

Thank you so much for all of your help. 

blankets

also. Would EMDR be beneficial for the emotional blunting or do you think it could help?

Windows and waves

blanketsareawesome

2/26 10:00 pm fell asleep

2/ 27

3:00 am woke up. Felt very anxious and emotional. Heart beating fast

3:40 amcrawled into bed with my parents, was able to fall back asleep for a while 

7:15 am woke up. Head hurt really bad and lots of pressure. Still don’t feel myself. However, not as anxious. 

9:00 am 75 mg Wellbutrin after breakfast

9:10 am started to see some floaters but not too bad

10:00 am started to feel a lot better. Felt a bit more myself. Headaches still bad but not unbearable. Still pressure in head and a little out of it, but not nearly as bad as yesterday. 

11:30 floaters in eyes before plane took off. Looks like it’s snowing type Floaters

12:00 pm- current:  feel the best I’ve felt in weeks. Feel myself. Just a few headaches. 

knock on wood.

Windows and waves

blanketsareawesome

Felt amazing rest of the evening yesterday. However, could only sleep 2-3 broken up. Felt completely wired. Feel pretty good this morning. 
Is it normal to have such an erratic sleep pattern? Sometimes I’ll sleep 5 hours, sometimes 7, sometimes 2 or 3. It goes back and forth. 

Windows and waves

blanketsareawesome

Saturday (slept 3 hours Night before)
8:00 am felt pretty good (not as good as yesterday)

9:00 took 75 mg Wellbutrin after breakfast 

12:00 pm -rest of the day. still felt good

feel good the rest of the day. However, no sexual function or interest like Friday. Fell asleep and woke up 2 hours later. Couldn’t go back to sleep the rest of the night.

Sunday ( slept 2 hours night before)

8:00 am felt foggier in the morning, but not horrible. Still interested in music and shows I like. Less disconnected. 
9:00 am took 75 mg Wellbutrin after breakfast

12:00 pm felt foggy. Went to brunch.

1:00 pm took a 30 minute nap in the car. 
4:00 pm had stomach pain and diarrhea (sorry TMI) bathroom schedule has been off since Wednesday. 

6:00 pm felt less foggy and more positive. However, still no sexual interest or function.

7:00 did laundry. Ate dinner

11:00 pm went to sleep. 

Monday
1:00 am woke up.

3:30 fell asleep.

6:00 am woke up feeling wired. Major headache

@manymoretodaysso I feel almost normal except for the sexual dysfunction/lack of interest and can’t sleep. I was sleeping decently the week before. I feel as though I must have taken that extra Wellbutrin because it’s like I’ve gone backwards in those regards but forward in others. 

Windows and waves

blanketsareawesome

1:00 am woke up.

3:30 fell asleep.

6:00 am woke up feeling wired. Major headache
9:00 am took my Wellbutrin 75 mg 

9:20 at breakfast 

11:00 became more and more Anhedonic and foggy. Head began to hurt. No appetite. Didn’t eat lunch.

12:00-7:00 pm feel pretty much the same. Ate dinner. Started to feel a bit sleepy. 

Windows and waves

blanketsareawesome

I fell asleep last night around 9:30 pm and I think I probably got around 7 1/2 hours and only woke up once! I woke up feeling a little foggy with head pressure  all around my head and still not fully myself, but a major improvement in comparison to a few weeks ago. Also my menstrual cycle has been completely out of wack. 20 day Cycle. Periods twice a month. However, I think my body is trying to get back on schedule. If I start on the 6th, then I will be back on schedule. Fingers crossed to it holding out till then. I'm hoping my "possible" extra dose of Wellbutrin wasn't the cause of my amazing window the other day and that I'm just stabilizing and seeing more and more windows. Knock on wood.

Windows and waves

blanketsareawesome

I feel a lot better today than yesterday. My doctors want to do allergy testing. Would this be safe?

Windows and waves

manymoretodays
Posted (edited)
On 3/1/2020 at 5:49 AM, blanketsareawesome said:

so I feel almost normal except for the sexual dysfunction/lack of interest and can’t sleep. I was sleeping decently the week before. I feel as though I must have taken that extra Wellbutrin because it’s like I’ve gone backwards in those regards but forward in others. 

This ^ is great then. 

You got one good night of sleep, I thought.......of at least 5 hours.  And that would be nice.  If you can function okay, and the sleep comes back again......this all sounds good.  Or even manage just some quiet time, when the sleep is real off, that can help.

And yes, maybe you did have an extra dose.  It does all make me pretty hesitant though, to even think about splitting your dose.  As then you might be more wired at night time and sleep less.  Wellbutrin can be pretty activating.

12 hours ago, blanketsareawesome said:

I feel a lot better today than yesterday. My doctors want to do allergy testing. Would this be safe?

I don't really know blankets.  I found one link:  Food sensitivities ,  someone talks about having allergy testing in the first post.

Whether it will prove to be helpful or not, in the long run, I don't know either.  But I do think we go through different phases in WD, and a lot of changes, that potentially affect many systems in the body.  That good old nervous system dysregulation.  In my own experience, I just often waited out many symptoms, some no longer recur at all.

What came up with the brain mapping thing you had done?

I suppose if you have the health insurance or money to keep seeing doctors, than that will be that.  Often though, all the testing done, while members are in WD, doesn't ever yield any great findings.  I haven't even heard of the rare case where something is discovered that's notable.

Have you struggled with allergy symptoms before?  Sure, then it might be worth pursuing.  I would hate to see you become a chronic patient though, or something like that, at such a young age.

So......at your discretion blankets.

Glad you are seeing improvement too!

Let me know, if you want to pursue any Wellbutrin tapering too, come July or August.  That would be about 6 months from, shall I say......"the Pristiq experience" and then the serotonin syndrome(some variation of, at least!) too.  I'm not sure if you had thought about when or if, on Wellbutrin tapering yet.

I think you are doing pretty good, overall right now too.  I sure don't want you to do anything but stabilize for these next few months.  Do you still have your job then?  I hope so.  It sounded like it might be in jeopardy?  Sure hoping your menstrual cycles get a bit more regular soon too, that can help, just knowing when things get enhanced, emotion wise, around that time of month. 

I hope I got to all your concerns.  And do look at and try some of the non-drug coping stuff too, blankets, and then, let me know if any of that helps. 

I'll post some more links that might prove helpful, next post too, around sleep problems, and some helpful non-drug coping.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
additional

manymoretodays

Here you go, I just copied over the whole list, for if/when you experience the insomnia again.  That can be a tough one, that many struggle with.  So take a look, so you can prepare and plan how to cope, ahead of time.

SLEEP PROBLEMS

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Path to Better Sleep FREE online for everyone from the US Veterans Administration

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

What is the sleep cycle?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

White noise devices for sleep

Light therapy for sleep problems

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing cortisol spikes

Adili13

Hey, I also had a bad reaction to b12 for ten days and am having increased symptoms in nearly every area. Headaches/head pressure, deeper waves, tinnitus, etc. you also had a reaction and said it improved. I’m worried I’ve destabilized myself badly. Any advice would be welcome. 

2008: start Lexapro 10 mg which is quickly upped to 20 mg. 2008:2013 try at least four individual times to get off Lexapro, never get lower than 5mg, settle at 15 mg. 2015: again, attempt to get off Lexapro and get to 5 mg. After 6 months, feel i'm stabilizing but go back on a higher dose because of one stressful event. 2016: go to 20 mg from 15 mg due to work stresses, hit severe tolerance for the first time and become very suicidal. 2016-2017: try viibryd and cymbata in an attempt to feel better. Also add Lamictal 150 at some point. 2017: eventually land on paxil 37.5 and Lamictal 150. January 2018: cut paxil to 25. April-July 2018: reduce Lamictal in 50 mg increments till im off August. 2018: reduce paxil to 20 mg. december 2018: dropped Paxil to 18 mg, SEVERE CRASH. March updosed to 20 mg April 11: dropped to 19.4 mg due to akathsia (still experiencing akathsia symptoms from updose) April 20: 19 mg Paxil May 4: 18.7 Paxil July 5: 18.2 July 12: 17.8 Aug 19: 17.5 Aug 26: 17.3 Oct 20: 17.1 Nov 3: 16.9, 8/17/20: 16.6 after nine month hold, 8/24/20: 16.4, 8/31/20:16.2, 9/14/2020: 16.0, 9/21/20: 15.8, 9/28/20: 15.6, 10/19/20:15.4, 10/26/20: 15.2, 11/2/20: 15.1, 11/7/20: 14.8 

Medication signature.docx

blanketsareawesome

Hi @Adili13

I'm sure it will resolve. I thought that I had messed things up, because I didn't see any windows for almost two weeks after that. I have had lots of windows though after that until recently, I believe this was due to a dosage mix up and exposure to some chemicals. Hard to say though what it was or if I'm just going through a process of windows and waves.

Blankets

Windows and waves

blanketsareawesome

@manymoretodays  Hello MMT,

Thank you so much for taking the time and writing out these long, kind replies. It means a lot to me.

I tried an epsom salt bath last night and it calmed me down. I also did the panic attack link you sent me and it helped as well.

I haven't had allergy issues before, but since I am so sensitive to everything right now, I didn't know if it would show up. But I will opt out I think for the time being.

I spoke too soon on the sleep...I had an awful day Sunday, felt very emotionally flat and depressed. However, that night I slept wonderfully. Monday, I was excited, because despite feeling a bit depressed and a bit anhedonic (not horrible), I felt tired, which is something I hadn't felt in a long time. I was still interested in some things and did a puzzle and cleaned up some of my apartment. I have PGAD right now, but no romantic thoughts with it. Like I could imagine having sex with someone on Sunday, but romance my brain just doesn't get it. The thought of being romantic and kissing doesn't compute, which isn't me at all. I've always been a hopeless romantic, even when I was at my most anxious and most depressed.  It's very distressing. I had a window last week where I desired love and romance, so, at the time, that was very comforting. The entire evening yesterday I was ready for bed. I cooked some dinner and noticed it tasted weird. Not bad, but just a little bitter. I should have stopped eating it at this point, but I just figured it was the brand of hash-browns I bought. I went over and smelled the pan, because I thought it was odd. It smelled really strong. Like burnt rubber. It is a really nice non-stick pan that I had only got a couple of months earlier. One that brags being "safe," claiming to be PFOA free, but they are all pretty much the same.  I'm afraid that I ingested/inhaled some of the fumes when I sniffed the pan and then ate the food. I only had the pan at a little over medium heat. An hour or two later, I became absolutely wired. I fell asleep, but only for two hours and woke up in a panic. Still completely wired and that's how I have been for the rest of the day. I feel very anhedonic. I had to drive home to my parents, because I was having suicidal thoughts. I'm afraid that I've screwed things up again and feel as though I am unwinding. My work gave me another week off and then I'm supposed to return Monday. I was so happy because I thought I would have the week to sleep and catch up, because I thought I was turning the corner. But here I am again. I feel as though I'm losing my mind. I had a few huge windows last week, no more than three days apart. I haven't had much of a window since Thursday, other than being able to sleep Sunday night. I must have messed up with the "extra" wellbutrin or breathing in those fumes. I don't know. I just know I felt almost fully myself for the first time in a month last week, even before the Wellbutrin. That means I was healing naturally, but now it's probably all messed up.

I definitely think at some point I'd like to get off the Wellbutrin, but I'm honestly scared at this point. I understand why people want to add more medications on top. It's awful. I thought about "Well maybe I could see if my doc would up dose my Wellbutrin, maybe that would help." "Maybe they could add buspar." I know I shouldn't have these thoughts and I should be patient, but part of me feels I have to do something about it, which is the thing, it's not in my control. I have trouble accepting it. I look awful. Underneath my eyes are black and I've lost ten pounds since this all happened in January. I'm only 100 pounds at the moment and am not healthy. I'm eating, but between sleep deprivation and stress, it has done a number on me. My anxious feelings have come back.

I feel so traumatized after this. I am afraid of doing anything to mess things up. I wish I hadn't taken life for granted before this. I got on the medication to deal with a breakup, thinking I could never get over them without it. Now, I run the risk of never being able to feel those things again for someone. I'm sorry I'm being so negative, I just feel so hopeless and dumb.My parents think I'm just depressed and are trying to push medication on me. They tell me the reason I don't feel romantic feelings or feel myself is because I "don't feel well so that's the last thing you are going to think about." "You're not sleeping, because you are just anxious. Sometimes I don't sleep." When no matter how anxious or depressed I was, I could always sleep well. I just feel so misunderstood by my family and my friends have been so supportive, but probably secretly think I'm losing it. I understand I am responsible for getting myself here, but I don't know if I am strong enough to get through this. I'm exhausted physically and feel like a shell of myself and am terrified that whatever I have done this past week has permanently damaged me. I keep praying to God to give me a sign to hold on and a sign that it will get better. He showed me last week, but it's hard to hold on to hope when you think you've messed up those improvements that were given to you. I know I shouldn't complain. There are people who have gone through this for years and probably haven't complained as much as me, but I feel so weak.

If anyone has any encouragement for me or some tips for battling suicidal thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm afraid I won't hold on, but the more anhedonic I feel, the less I care.

Blankets

Windows and waves

blanketsareawesome

Hi @Altostrata

As I am writing this, I am almost as bad as I was at the beginning of the month. It's hard to say what the cause of it was. I seemed to be steadily progressing and getting better  There are only two things that I could think of that would have caused this.

1.  Sunday, February 23rd , I had the best day I had had since I drank the alcohol at the end of January. I felt almost completely myself. I was having windows and waves up until this point. It's like bits and pieces of me would come and go slowly until they came together. Sunday, It was like all the little windows I had were combined. I thought this was it. The next morning, I couldn't remember if I took one or two Wellbutrin 75 mg Instant release tablets. I felt panicky most of the day, because I couldn't recall if I did or didn't. I have since got a pill case and an app to keep track. The 24th-26th I felt foggy and emotional. However, I slept decently. The 27th I felt amazing. Even better than the 23rd. However only 2-3 hours of sleep.  Slowly became more foggy the next few days, but not horrible by any means. Still only 3 hours of sleep broken up. Sunday,  March 1, had a bad day emotionally and felt very depressed, but not completly horrible. I became tired and slept 7-8 hours that night. More than I've slept in a while.

2. March 2, I started to feel very sleepy and in more of a depressed mood than anything. Still a bit anhedonic but not bad. I was happy that I was tired and I had I feeling I would sleep well that night. The entire evening yesterday I was ready for bed. I cooked some dinner and noticed it tasted weird. Not bad, but just a little bitter. I should have stopped eating it at this point, but I just figured it was the brand of hash-browns I bought. I went over and smelled the pan, because I thought it was odd. It smelled really strong. Like burnt rubber. It is a really nice non-stick pan that I had only got a couple of months earlier. One that brags being "safe," claiming to be PFOA free, but they are all pretty much the same.  I'm afraid that I ingested/inhaled some of the fumes when I sniffed the pan and then ate the food. I only had the pan at a little over medium heat. An hour or two later, I became absolutely wired. I fell asleep, but only for two hours and woke up in a panic. Still completely wired and that's how I have been for the rest of the day. I feel very anhedonic and have felt nauseous most of the day today.  I'm back to feeling completely wired, anhedonia and extreme head pressure.

Could I have done anything majorly detrimental or permanent to my brain with these mistakes? Any advice going forward regarding chemicals and sensitivities that I may not think of?

Thank you for all of the wonderful work all of you do.

Blankets

Windows and waves

blanketsareawesome

Should I do a detox to get whatever chemicals out of my system?

Windows and waves

blanketsareawesome

Update: I was able to sleep last night pretty well. I think I got 6-7 hours and only woke up once. I feel much better today. I have some headaches, head pressure and some nausea. However, I am having some windows and waves of feeling a bit more myself.

Windows and waves

blanketsareawesome

Wednesday 3/4/2020

7:00 am woke up. Felt pretty good. Watched I love Lucy and laughed. Felt more positive. 
8:00 am ate breakfast

9:00 took 75 mg Wellbutrin 

12:00-4 window where I felt myself and head pressure subsided a bit. 
5-10 felt okay. Not horrible. Not great. Head pressure and nausea came on. 

slept 8 hours 

Thursday 3/5/2020

woke up. Feel horrible. Completely Anhedonic. Don’t care about anyone or anything. Head pressure is awful and I feel like I can’t form a thought. Had an outburst at my mom earlier. I have never done that before. I yelled and yelled and wanted to break things. That’s never been me. Before this if I thought I had a snarky tone with my mom, I would cry and feel awful about it. Today, I  didn’t even care that I possibly upset her. What is wrong with me?? I’m even worse than I was at the beginning of the month. I thought things were getting better but they have plummeted down. I was having a steady progression upwards. I am glad I am sleeping but I just want to feel again. I want to be me. 

Windows and waves

blanketsareawesome

@Altostrata @manymoretodays I’m sorry to bother you guys so much. But could the “extra” dose or the issues with the Non stick pan have caused this to get worse? Do you think I can still stabilize after all of this?

Windows and waves

• Administrator
Altostrata

It seems you are having waves and windows. When did you take that extra dose? It's probably smoothed out by now.

Whatever you ate might have been bad. If you've been using non-stick pans, that's probably not causing your current problems. But the coating comes off over time, you might replace your pan with a steel or ceramic one, without a non-stick coating.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

blanketsareawesome

Hi @Altostrata

I took the extra dose on Monday, February 23rd. I had an amazing window the day before that. Then on Thursday February 27, I had an even better window. It slowly went downhill from there and windows became smaller and less. Now I feel completely apathetic. I have been exhausted as well, but  I am happy that I have slept solidly the past few nights. Maybe I am catching up.

It was odd. I wanted to check, so I cooked the Hashbrowns in another pan and it didn't have that odor or taste. I thought maybe it hadd soap residue on it and rinsed it but no soap. So I'm not sure what it was.  I will try have to purchase a ceramic pan and give that a shot. Thank you.

Alto, Did you ever feel completely apathetic? I don't feel love or compassion and it is terrifying me. I've always been the opposite. Even in my best windows, I haven't gotten there completely emotionally. The more emotion I can feel, the less pressure and headaches I have. The less emotion I can feel, the more headaches and pressure I have. I almost feel as though there is a rock in the middle of my head constantly.

Would what I'm going through be protracted withdrawal or just a struggle to stabilize after everything that's happened?

Windows and waves

• Administrator
Altostrata

Many people here suffer from emotional anesthesia. It's both an adverse effect of psychiatric drugs and can be a withdrawal symptom. It will gradually go away. You can help it by exercising your enjoyment muscle to the best you can -- acknowledge it when you encounter something you like, even a little.

Please read other topics in the Introductions forum to see how others are coping, and see discussions in Symptoms and Self-Care about symptoms such as emotional anesthesia.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 3/5/2020 at 4:09 PM, blanketsareawesome said:

Wednesday 3/4/2020

7:00 am woke up. Felt pretty good. Watched I love Lucy and laughed. Felt more positive. 
8:00 am ate breakfast

9:00 took 75 mg Wellbutrin 

12:00-4 window where I felt myself and head pressure subsided a bit. 
5-10 felt okay. Not horrible. Not great. Head pressure and nausea came on. 

slept 8 hours 

Thursday 3/5/2020

woke up. Feel horrible. Completely Anhedonic. Don’t care about anyone or anything. Head pressure is awful and I feel like I can’t form a thought. Had an outburst at my mom earlier. I have never done that before. I yelled and yelled and wanted to break things. That’s never been me. Before this if I thought I had a snarky tone with my mom, I would cry and feel awful about it. Today, I  didn’t even care that I possibly upset her. What is wrong with me?? I’m even worse than I was at the beginning of the month. I thought things were getting better but they have plummeted down. I was having a steady progression upwards. I am glad I am sleeping but I just want to feel again. I want to be me. 

Hi B

I can relate to the anhedonia type symptoms. (V much at forefront of my probs at moment) I’m also intrigued by your ref to “head pressures”. My equivalent is like a 24/7 sensation, sometime numb feeling, sometime pressure. This causes insomnia, inability to communicate, understand, enjoy etc.  How does your type manifest?

God bless and speedy recovery.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

Amitriptyline October 2018-2019. (25, 50, 75, 100, 75, 50, 25)

CT 10 Sept 2019

Reinstate amitriptyline 5 mg 29 Oct 2019

Reinstate amitriptyline 2.5mg 19 Nov 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Vitamin D 16 Dec and Promethazine 25mg 16 Dec (one month only)