Pawlove: Xanax done, Paxil is next! But when?

Pawlove

Finally! I have started my paxil taper! I kept putting it off, one excuse after another. The holidays. Then the winter months being harder... I had gotten a scale but it was in the wrapper for 2 months or more. There was a young lady on benzo buddies who had a horrible story and had asked for info about doing a taper with that. In looking for info for her I found myself finally learning about my scale and working up 2 schedules. The one I am using has me cutting 10% a week for 3 weeks and then holding for 3 weeks. The other has the same schedule but only cutting 5%. I know... that would take 2 years to get off the garbage so I won't do that unless I have severe sxs. I started Monday of this week and the scale is easier to use than I expected. I am intimidated by any new gadget. I know the "normal" schedule of holding is 2 weeks and I may do that. I had such a horrible ct experience with paxil where I reinstated after being off 4 months and I am definitely a bit scared that if I got too fast I may find it too hard. I had delayed sxs with the ct and didn't even realize the cause was paxil wd so this first 3 week hold will be a tell for me. Plus every other wd I did was so much harder as the dose got lower so it's going to be a learning curve for this taper- my final mind altering drug!!! 

My overall health is so much better it was hard to rock the boat and start this taper. I have been SO good with a combination of Low Dose Naltrexone and a PEMF mat! Between those 2 things, a total diet change and a multitude of supplements I am better than I have been in over 20 years. I was on twice the dose of enzymes that studies say is max for treating the pancreas issue I have- EPI. That Rx is extremely expensive and even with insurance covering a huge portion of the cost it's still over $700/month. I've been able to cut that in half and that means I am now at the max dose but who knows... maybe getting off paxil will allow my body to get that resolved. Stranger things have happened. My labs last August indicated my thyroid function was below norm. I took a thyroid supporting supplement and this month my thyroid levels were the best they have been in 6 years! Maybe the healing aspect of my PEMF mat also helped. All I know is my PCP would not allow me to try LDN but I found a practice on line that specializes in it and that has been my miracle. LDN helps with immune function, mood and of course, pain which was my debilitating issue. I was in bed for 2 years. I now am painting in my house, working in my yard, I had 7 Christmas trees, I can drive again...unbelievable. So to anyone who considers giving up.. please keep trying things. I spent so much money on things that didn't help- acupuncture, injections over 2 years that included aspirating bone for stem cell injections, patches, lotions, TENs- things that would help someone else but didn't help me. I had to find my own way as so many of us here have had to do. Mainstream medicine wants to go by the book that big pharma writes and it has gotten so many of us in trouble that is beyond difficult to find our way out of. My getting off methadone, morphine, lyrica, a statin, ambien and xanax have lifted a curtain and I am renewed! Who knows what issues getting off paxil will resolve! My main issues now are migraines and the gut/pancreas problems. I am excited to see where this takes me!!!

So far, no sxs from my start of the taper. I have not told my husband I am doing this. He is a saint- he took the brunt of my ct from paxil before. The mental sxs were extreme and I don't want him worrying about me. Plus, unless you've been through it you may have some sympathy and empathy but to truly get it- it's just not possible. Which is why benzo buddies saved me when I was getting off xanax, ambien and the last of the morphine and I know this forum will be my saving grace with this withdrawal. If only our drs would find their way to actually discovering what these mind altering drugs do to their patients! 

2003 Methadone 80 mg day /   Morphine 15 mg 3xs day as needed
2008 Lyrica 25 mg 3-4 x day
Sept 2017 self detox off Methadone
April 2018 self detox off Lyrica
Feb. 2019 Xanax 1 mg 2x day as needed
8 months to taper from 4 months use! Jumped 1/20/20 !!!!!!! 
8/22/20 have weaned ambien over the last 6 months from 10 mg to 2.5 mg. Jumped 8/16/2020 

Was taking morphine 30 mg prn for last 2 years. Stopped 8/15/2020 

Started Paxil 20 mg 1995-ish for mild hormonal mood swings and supposedly to help hormonal migraines. Never talked about stopping. Had a horrific CT 2018. Reinstated after 4 months. 

I was reading from over a year ago, when I first posted. So much help was offered. I wanted to touch base with some of the people who had helped before ... my post earlier today is my update. Thanks so much to everyone who has offered advice. 

@Cocopuffz17

@brassmonkey

@Altostrata

@Rosetta

8/22/20 have weaned ambien over the last 6 months from 10 mg to 2.5 mg. Jumped 8/16/2020 

Started Paxil 20 mg 1995-ish for mild hormonal mood swings and supposedly to help hormonal migraines. Never talked about stopping. Had a horrific CT 2018. Reinstated after 4 months. 

5 hours ago, Pawlove said:

I was reading from over a year ago, when I first posted. So much help was offered. I wanted to touch base with some of the people who had helped before ... my post earlier today is my update. Thanks so much to everyone who has offered advice. 

@Cocopuffz17

@brassmonkey

@Altostrata

@Rosetta

You are welcome! Such a great update of yours to read! Glad you are doing so much better! I hope all the best for you in the tapering of paxil. Have a great weekend! 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

Best of luck with conquering the Paxil. You got this.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Administrator

You're welcome, @Pawlove

For reference, here are our Tips for tapering off paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat)

The schedule we suggest is somewhat different.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi @Pawlove!

I was thinking about you the other day, wondering how you were doing. So happy you have started tapering!
   10% a week for three weeks and holding for three weeks sounds way too fast, though. I believe it's better to start slowly, especially since you had such a bad wd last time. Sometimes wd symptoms show up several months after reducing the dose.
   But that's just my opinion.🙂

Aurorax

2001 Januari-May: Paxil 20 mg
2001 Oktober-December Xanax 1 mg, 0 to 4 pills/day (no wd from quitting Xanax)
2002-2003 Paxil 20 mg, tries to taper but reinstates
2004 Tries to come off Paxil, reinstates after 5 months off
2005 Paxil 30 mg
2006 to end of 2007: Paxil 15-20 mg, tries to taper but reinstates
2007, december: Increases to 30 mg but Paxil is no longer ”working”
2008 Januari to september: Tapering from 30 mg to 10 mg.
2008 September to december: 10 mg to 5 mg
2009 Januari to end of april: 5 mg to 0 mg.
2009 march to januari 2010: Various sleeping pills: Propiomazine and Promethazine for a few days, Alimemazine on and off for months. No benzo.
2010, January until now: 100% drug free.

Thanks so much everyone!

Aurorax, I have told people on BB about you so many times. Your success inspires me. I appreciate your input so much. I did the 2 spread sheets and it was going to take a couple of years to do the 5% cuts and that seemed so slow. But then again, if it is better in the long run I don't have a reason to rush and possibly fail. I never considered thinking I might fail with other drugs but I was such a mess with the paxil wd and I am so much more sensitive to things now and that has me a bit concerned. I had an Rx for phenergan for nausea with the Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. At a Christmas brunch away from home I forgot my enzymes and ate anyway and was sick the next day. I took a phenergan- no problems ever from taking it but that time it caused akathisia. I looked up causes of it and anti-nausea meds were listed. Just like having side effects from lyrica when I had never had any issues from it for 10+ years until I got off methadone, getting off xanax, ambien and morphine seems to have caused my CNS to be even more sensitive.  What would you recommend as far as a rate to taper? I do think the delayed sxs from paxil wd make me most afraid. I hate being this way. When I was in the midst of methadone wd my sis-in-law came to help me. She was saying "the pills are right there. Why don't you take just a little so you won't be so sick?" and I never ever considered it. But I am conflicted about this drug. The one I needed the least may be my most difficult one to be rid of. Thanks for any thoughts you have. 

@Aurorax

Thanks, @Pawlove!

I would go with the schedule that SA recommends, the one that Alto gave you. Some people can taper faster, but it's best to start slowly the first 4-6 months until you know how you react. You can always reevaluate during your taper and change your pace or hold for a little longer if you need to.

I 100% understand that you want to enjoy your drug-free life as soon as possible, but I would hate to see you having to struggle with late-onset wd. Patience is key.
   Paxil can be nasty, but there is no doubt in my mind that you will make it if you go slow and listen to your body. Who knows, maybe it will be easier than you think.

But again, these are just my personal opinions.

How are you doing so far?

Aurorax

2001 Januari-May: Paxil 20 mg
2001 Oktober-December Xanax 1 mg, 0 to 4 pills/day (no wd from quitting Xanax)
2002-2003 Paxil 20 mg, tries to taper but reinstates
2004 Tries to come off Paxil, reinstates after 5 months off
2005 Paxil 30 mg
2006 to end of 2007: Paxil 15-20 mg, tries to taper but reinstates
2007, december: Increases to 30 mg but Paxil is no longer ”working”
2008 Januari to september: Tapering from 30 mg to 10 mg.
2008 September to december: 10 mg to 5 mg
2009 Januari to end of april: 5 mg to 0 mg.
2009 march to januari 2010: Various sleeping pills: Propiomazine and Promethazine for a few days, Alimemazine on and off for months. No benzo.
2010, January until now: 100% drug free.

Hi @Aurorax,

Thanks for the advice. I am doing another week at the same cut I did last week- 10%. In other words, holding at 10% off the 20 mg. It seems like such a small amount when I am shaving off the pill and so far no real sxs. I will have to look back at the schedule that Alto gave me. I must've overlooked it when I came back to make a plan. The spread sheet I had was actually for 10% cuts for 3 weeks and then a 2 week hold. I had increased it to a 3 week hold because I felt like that might be too fast.  I would love nothing more than being drug free but I am wanting to do this right. I have been gluten free for over 2 weeks now and have had an amazing decrease in migraines. It could still be coincidence but I am starting to think that's why. So felling better really helps me be motivated to move forward. How are you doing? 

@Aurorax

@Altostrata

I looked back and see that I need to hold at this 10% rate for a month which I am good to do. Thanks so much!!!! I am excited to get support for a slower rate. I feel much better about it!