Saturn: Zoloft withdrawal and thyroid problems

Saturn

My TSH numbers have been fluctuating for over a year and I have had to change my dose of Synthroid several times. At the same time I have been trying to wean myself from Zoloft. Going through a terrible time and wondering if my symptoms are exasperated by dealing with both issues. Also can the Thyroid levels be fluctuating because of withdrawal from Zoloft.

hope this is not confusing. I just became a member and this is my first post

thank you.

Edited by manymoretodays
moved from off topic, added name to title
  • manymoretodays changed the title to Saturn: Zoloft withdrawal and thyroid problems
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Saturn.

Here's a link about thyroid symptoms and withdrawal.   Withdrawal can mimic all kinds of physical symptoms including a fluctuating thyroid. 

KimD: Thyroid Changes during Withdrawal - Introductions and ...

Please let us know how much Zoloft you were originally taking and the rate at which you're tapering and also your current dose.  We recommend tapering no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Are you having any other symptoms that may be attributable to withdrawal?

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF)

What is withdrawal syndrome.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here. 

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi Alto,

my first time posting. I am a new member. My case is complicated.Hope I can explain it so it’s not to hard to follow.

I had surgery for Graves’ disease forty years ago and twenty five years later I became hyper again. Went through radio active iodine therapy. Was given Zoloft 50mg because of all the anxiety I was having.

Dr. Did not tell me anything about it except that it would help with anxiety caused by thyroid problems.

I tried to get of it a couple of times in the eighteen years that I was on it and couldn’t deal with withdrawal.

in June 2019 I had to stop Zoloft (blood work showed I had low sodium levels) Dr, said it was due to me taking zoloft. (Although I don’t think so.) I think it was because I was on two antibiotics and Prilosec for two weeks.( Prilosec is known to cause low sodium levels) in any event, my Doc. told me to switch to Prozac and to taper off in three weeks. I went into terrible withdrawal.

at the same time I was having all kinds of symptoms and had several tests done and found out that I had become hyperactive again. This was caused by dose changes in synthroid over the last year. The confusing thing is that the last TSH blood work for thyroid showed that I had become hyperthyroid again even after decreasing my dose( if you decrease dose you are supposed to go towards the hypothyroid) 

all this while I am in withdrawal as well from Zoloft.

my question would be “ could the Zoloft withdrawal be affecting my thyroid levels to fluctuate?

I hope this was not confusing.

I would appreciate any input

thanks so much

saturn

Edited by manymoretodays
spaced out the post a bit

Sorry, I forgot to mention my taper.

I was on 50mg Zoloft. Reduced it to 37and1/2mg for three weeks. To 31and1/4mg for three weeks. Then to 28and1/8. Was gradually feeling better. Most of my symptoms had disappeared. Mood was better as well as stomach, pulse, blood pressure.

I went back to my ceramic studio ( strength was better ) was back socializing with friends. Felt so positive and then at about three weeks after going dow to 28and1/8 dose I started feeling a lot of the old symptoms come back. Had my thyroid levels checked again and this is when I was shocked to see that my TSH levels had come down instead of good up.

This is why I am wondering if the Zoloft withdrawal has something to do with the fluctuation in my thyroid levels.

thanks again

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Saturn and welcome aboard, @Saturn

I just approved and moved your most recent posts from KimD's topic back here.  Your introduction is the best place for questions around your unique situation.  KimD's topic IS a good one to refer to, but it hasn't been posted on since 2015.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature to help us out.

5 hours ago, Saturn said:

This is why I am wondering if the Zoloft withdrawal has something to do with the fluctuation in my thyroid levels.

5 hours ago, Saturn said:

my question would be “ could the Zoloft withdrawal be affecting my thyroid levels to fluctuate?

And yes, as Gridley stated, WD can cause all kinds of weird symptoms and flucuations. 

Some of the AD's do seem to mess with other systems as well.  I see that in your case, you had the Grave's disease before using an AD......so more of a natural occurance then, not iatrogenic, or caused by treatment.

Welcome again and I can ask Alto to take a look at the post above, directed to Alto.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
added an @ notification for member

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. So glad I found you.I feel comforted and that really helps.

i’m wondering if there is any literature out that has philosophical or spiritual tips to deal with AD withdrawal.

• Administrator
On 1/25/2020 at 4:06 PM, Saturn said:

Sorry, I forgot to mention my taper.

I was on 50mg Zoloft. Reduced it to 37and1/2mg for three weeks. To 31and1/4mg for three weeks. Then to 28and1/8. Was gradually feeling better. Most of my symptoms had disappeared. Mood was better as well as stomach, pulse, blood pressure.

I went back to my ceramic studio ( strength was better ) was back socializing with friends. Felt so positive and then at about three weeks after going dow to 28and1/8 dose I started feeling a lot of the old symptoms come back. Had my thyroid levels checked again and this is when I was shocked to see that my TSH levels had come down instead of good up.

thanks again

Hello, Saturn.

I guess Zoloft could have affected your thyroid, or you're going through some coincidental natural fluctuation. You must have some thyroid left?

It sounds like you were also treated for an infection with antibiotics. There were a lot of changes. We can't tell what caused what, and we're not thyroid experts here.

What happened regarding your antidepressant withdrawal symptoms? How are you feeling now? Exactly what drugs are you taking, at what times of day and dosages?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes I must have some thyroid left because when you are treated with radioactive iodine, not all the thyroid is removed.

yes I was treated for H piloting with antibiotics. At the same time I was also withdrawing from Ativan which I took off and on for six months at a dose of .25mg and for a month I took .50 mg and then .75mg for three weeks. Then I started to taper. Took me 

about seven weeks.

During this time I was also taken off Zoloft with a three week taper. (Psychiatrist’s instructions) I was unaware of “slow taper”. Needless to say I was on a roller coaster ride.

I am still tapering off Zoloft. (I started the taper on October 16th) I am now at 34and1/2mg.

I take 100mg Synthroid at 6:00am and then at 10:00am (after breakfast I take 34and1/2mgZoloft) Those are the only Meds I take.(no supplements)

I was feeling good starting third week of November till January 15th (I keep notes) During this period I started goin back to the ceramic studio and socializing with friends. Was so hopeful. Alas, it didn’t last.

A week ago I had TSH blood work done which was scheduled. ( my dose was reduced so my TSH numbers should have been higher) I was surprised to find my numbers were actually lower.

so now I’m not feeling good. Not as bad as I was prior to November.

Morning anxiety is back but is gone by about 8:00 ish. But then start the crying spells. Never had  them this bad the first time around.I have some weakness but nothing like before. Still have some dizziness. Still have some social anxiety but am able to go to the studio for a short period of time and meet friends(for shorter periods)Depersonalization is much better. The numbness, tingling and burning sensation is back( it has always been when I wake up in the morning )It lasts for about an hour.My stomach is fine now.( had endoscopy and every thing was fine ) Heads are gone.(though every time I reduced my dose I got them for a few days. There were many other symptoms that I can’t recall. (It’s a good thing.)

At this point I am more depressed than I am anxious. Never had depression before Zoloft taper. I have never in my life cried as much as I do now.

of-course I’m very discouraged because I have gone backwards. I’m re-reading Dr. Claire Weeks book “hope and help for your nerves”.

Reading  all the success stories is also helping me. I thank you for that

hope I didn’t overload you with too much information.

Hi and welcome @Saturn Hope that things improve soon.

2015 - Venlafaxine 37.5mg, Nortriptyline 10mg, Diazepam 5mg.
2016 - Prozac 20mg.
2017 - Fluoxetine 20mg,  Venlafaxine 37.5mg, Sodium Valproate 500mg, Alprazolam 2mg, Lamotrigine 100mg.
2018 - Escitaloprám 10 mg, Abilify 10mg, Sodium Valproate 500mg, Sertraline 100mg.
2019 - Oxazepam 15 mg, Abilify 10mg, Sertraline 100mg.
2020 - Oxazepam 15 mg, Abilify 10mg, Sertraline 100mg.
2020 - January - Tapered Abilify and Sertraline over 30 days.

2020 - January - Supplements; Fish oil, GABA, L-Theanine, L-Tyrosine, Magnesium, Vitamin E, Valerian.

Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/26/2020 at 6:39 PM, Saturn said:

i’m wondering if there is any literature out that has philosophical or spiritual tips to deal with AD withdrawal.

If you will go to to the SA Finding Meaning forum on our main page, you will find a wealth of material.  Here's the link:

Finding meaning

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.