Blakes7: Seroxat/paxil Paws

Blakes7

Hello,

Firstly thank you for this groups existence and the valued information it holds

I will try to keep my story short as possible,    

In year 2000 I had a emergency operation, this in turn caused me my first ever panic attack,  after the op I had a further panic attack and developed agoraphobia,  this all developed in a very short time of only about 4 weeks at home during the operations recovery.

As agoraphobia set in, I never had anxiety about going out,  my body would just become stiff and in pain to the point I couldn't walk when I went out.  I went to the doc,  he put me on 20mg seroxat and said I have anxiety/depression/agoraphobia.   ( I know i've never had depression in my life.) .  At this point I had a family to feed and really blind in the knowledge of what's just happened to me,    I was ill and there was a medication to use,  ( no offer of therapy ) Once on paxil I was back to work in another two months,   I had all the usual start up symptoms including suicidal ideology.    

I remained on 20mg of  seroxat with no reviews for 18 years, really not many issues,  although in 2016/17 I did notice some changes,  libido dropped out,  restless legs, more emotional,  

In Late 2017 I dropped my 20mg dose to 10mg in the space of 3 months,  ( Big mistake I now know). Whilst fast taper I had no symptoms,  and the 3 months after that the drop holding at 10mg I had no symptoms,  

First withdrawal symptoms was joint pain and was the only symptom I had for another 3 months,  since then until today I'm slowly getting worse, with most of the well known symptoms listed. 

Tinittus sensitivity , reflux, bladder, Colon, gut, groin/genital, dropped heart rate, amazing head pressures,  shakes/vibrations, a touch akathesia,  anxiety, sleep, muscle burn, twitches, restless legs/arms, dep and derealization, the list goes on and on, 

I dropped sugar a year ago,  tried magnesium glycinate and got up to 250mg daily, no benefit. Tried good quality fish oil, had reaction anxiety attack.  My diet is pretty clean because I had reflux since 2015,  and managed with no medication.   

I take no other medications especially  whilst in withdrawals.  

I have small windows maybe an hour or two in the month.  I've really been lucky with sleep apart from the odd period I've managed 6 hours average a night, 

I've been off my work and in withdrawals for 20 months. I've been on the remainder 10mg seroxat for 23 months, with the hope of stability.  

The last month symptoms have increased massively,   mainly constant fibromalagia type pain,  and severe head and ear pressure/sensitivity.  With diminished sleep,  

Also a building and worrying development, if I get stressed or anxious, even emotional, I get some tight squeezeing pressure down the back of my head and ears,  it's like a freezing spasm/vibration,   I had a bad episode of this when talking with a person,  it's actually temporarily froze my head and upper body for a couple of seconds.  Like a mini fit,  I'm feeling this tension more each day and its worrying me greatly.  

With this recent uptake in symptoms I'm really looking at increasing my dose,  I know it could be a massive gamble,  as I know and have read enough,   or even a drop in dose,  

I would just like some experienced advice remembering the fact I've been in withdrawals 20 months and remained on a steady dose of 10mgfor 23 months. 

Thanks in advance for any help

From Year 2000,  20mg seroxat. 

Nov 2017 to Jan 2018, 3 Month taper off 10mg

November 2018 and ongoing 10mg seroxat. 

No other medications 

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Blakes7.  I'm sorry you're feeling so bad.

Increasing your dose after 23 months would be quite a gamble and could make things worse.  Nor would I recommend decreasing the dose.  Twenty months of withdrawal, I know, feels like a long time, but unfortunately it's common.

How Long Is Withdrawal Going to Take? 

How Long, the Bottom Line

As you have realized your drop from 20mg to 10mg was far too fast, a 50% drop instead of the 10% every four weeks that we recommend.  Withdrawal symptoms are quite often delayed, as they were in your case.  So that you have a better understanding of what you're experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal.  Since in withdrawal the central nervous system is destabilized, and since the CNS underlies all our activities and responses, it is no surprise that withdrawal can manifest itself in some very troubling and bizarre symptoms.

What is withdrawal syndrome. 

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

We strongly recommend using non-drug methods to cope with withdrawal.  Take a look at the links in the following  link and see which you think might be of benefit to you.

Non-drug techniques to cope

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you for the reply,   

I would like to ask some questions if I may,  possibly been asked a thousand times before.  

Will I ever heal to some degree whilst still bombarding my brain daily with the 10mg. Surely less of the drug means the system has to kick start the recepters recovery,  I've read that the amount up to 10mg is what takes up the vast majority of receptors,  

Forgive me if I'm wrong in my, information,   

Also I know the risks of updoseing is very great this far out,  and especially when the CNS is sensitsed,   

But surely there is someone over the thousands of people that have been here on this website has had improvements with reinstating.  

Or is it just the vast majority actually do find no improvement. 

Having had a major upsurge in symptoms the last month,  I may of reached poop out stage of the remaining 10mg. How will I possibly know if it's failed.  

No other medications 

• manymoretodays changed the title to Blakes7: Seroxat/paxil Paws
  • Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Blakes7 said:

Will I ever heal to some degree whilst still bombarding my brain daily with the 10mg. Surely less of the drug means the system has to kick start the recepters recovery,  I've read that the amount up to 10mg is what takes up the vast majority of receptors,  

Yes, you will heal to some degree while still taking the drug, since you're taking less than before, which does free up some of the neurotransmitters.  It is true that the lower doses, as around 4mg, the occupancy rate is high but does not comprise the vast majority of neurotransmitters.  

The decline is exponential when one reaches 4, 3, 2,  and <1mg. A study done in 2004 found Serotonin Transporter Occupany (I don't know which drug) was about about 80% when taking a 20mg dose and still 50% at a 3mg dose.  Even at a 1mg dose the occupancy was nearly 25%.  So at the lower doses there's a disproportionate occupancy rate but not an overwhelming majority

Also, neurotransmitter occupant is not the whole story of withdrawal and healing.  Generally, the lower your drug burden the more healing occurs.  Of course, after zero is when more healing occurs.  

Regarding neurotransmitter occupancy, the following chart is not for Paxil but will give you a visual idea of occupancy level at both higher and lower doses.  

Why taper paper: dose-occupancy curves

3 hours ago, Blakes7 said:

Also I know the risks of updoseing is very great this far out,  and especially when the CNS is sensitsed,   

But surely there is someone over the thousands of people that have been here on this website has had improvements with reinstating.  

Or is it just the vast majority actually do find no improvement. 

There may well be examples of someone who updosed this far out and had success but I'm not aware of them.  There are several posts in the following li k about time frame for updosing/reinstatement and the reasons for a short time frame.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

You may be in poop-out or you may be in withdrawal from the drop from 20 to 10.  Two years seems like a long time for withdrawal but it's not.

How Long Is Withdrawal Going to Take? 

The possibility that you're in poop-out further complicates the matter of updosing.  Even when the time frame situation is more favorable, in poop-out increasing the dose offers only temporary relief before another update is necessary, then another until you reach the maximum dosage and have to taper from a much high dosage, taking much more time.  Brassmonkey, one of our moderators, if I recall correctly went into Paxil poopout, updosed until he reached the maximum of 40mg, then had to taper from there.  You might want to read his thread.  He wrote the following on poop-out, which may give you some guidance as to what to do.  Basically, he says to taper, that the only way out is down.  It is possible that you're suffering from both withdrawal and poop-out.  

Tachyphylaxis or As It’s Lovingly Known “Poopout”

I'm going to bring your situation to the attention of the other moderators.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi Blakes7--  I gotta ask, are you a fan, hence the name?  Gridley asked me to take a look, so I'm dropping in.  He's given you a lot of information to look at, all of which is relevant. Your taper a couple of years ago was too fast, but it seems you tolerated it pretty well, so I don't think that is a problem.  However, your symptom pattern is quite telling. After 18 years on a set dose of sexoret almost everyone is going to start going into poopout. That is shown by the onset of WD symptoms while still taking your full dose.  The only way out of poopout is to decrease the dosage and let the body sort things out.  Which is what you did in a rough manner.

Not having a crush of symptoms at the three month mark is a very positive sign.  Then having a slow build in symptoms over the next two years shows that your body is losing its fight against the drugs and again going into poopout. Which is where you are now.  A slight updose, say 1mgai, might take the edge off of the symptoms, but not for long. It would also leave you at a higher dose to start to taper off of. As I mentioned earlier the only way out of poopout is to decrease the dose.   This needs to be done slowly and methodically.  The problem being that the symptoms are entrenched ATM and it will take a good many months before they start to subside, so it will feel like there is no progress being made, even though there is.

I would suggest starting a 10% Brassmonkey Slide. This would mean reducing by 2.5% a week for four weeks and then holding for an additional two weeks.  This gives a total reduction of 10% every six weeks.  We have found this method to be very good at keeping WD symptoms to a minimum and keep the rate of reduction at a fairly good pace. I used it successfully to get out of severe poopout and taper from 40mgai paxil, and Gridley is having great success with it along with many of our other members.   If this sounds interesting let us know and we can help work out the details.

Brassmonkey

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• manymoretodays changed the title to Blakes7: Seroxat/paxil Paws
  • Administrator

Hello, Blake.

On 1/27/2020 at 3:33 AM, Blakes7 said:

The last month symptoms have increased massively,   mainly constant fibromalagia type pain,  and severe head and ear pressure/sensitivity.  With diminished sleep,  

Also a building and worrying development, if I get stressed or anxious, even emotional, I get some tight squeezeing pressure down the back of my head and ears,  it's like a freezing spasm/vibration,   

Have you accidentally skipped any doses, or taken them off schedule? Had any alcoholic beverages over the holidays?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrata, 

thank you for the reply 

My schedule is very clean,   

Never missed a dose,  always taken the tablet at 9am with food

I don't drink alcohol or smoke at all

Only  beverages I drink is water and camomile tea, and milk

I dropped sugar a year ago,  

No processed foods,  

No supplements currently taken,  I did try mag glycinate and fish oil 6 months ago. I take no other meds,  even when had seasonal bugs or colds whilst in withdrawals.  

No other medications 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, brassmonkey said:

10% Brassmonkey Slide

@Blakes7Here's the link to the Brassmonkey slide.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• Mentor

Hello, nice to meet you!

I made nutritional changes which helped me immensely to get off paroxetine. You can check out The Plant Paradox by Dr.Gundry. I have tried 3 times before to get off paroxetine without nutritional changes and could not. This time I am almost a year free. These drugs absolutely wreak havoc on our GI tracts. This nutrition lifestyle helps repair the gut. 

Everyday that passes is one day closer to being healed! 👊

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

15 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

Hi Blakes7--  I gotta ask, are you a fan, hence the name?  Gridley asked me to take a look, so I'm dropping in.  He's given you a lot of information to look at, all of which is relevant. Your taper a couple of years ago was too fast, but it seems you tolerated it pretty well, so I don't think that is a problem.  However, your symptom pattern is quite telling. After 18 years on a set dose of sexoret almost everyone is going to start going into poopout. That is shown by the onset of WD symptoms while still taking your full dose.  The only way out of poopout is to decrease the dosage and let the body sort things out.  Which is what you did in a rough manner.

Not having a crush of symptoms at the three month mark is a very positive sign.  Then having a slow build in symptoms over the next two years shows that your body is losing its fight against the drugs and again going into poopout. Which is where you are now.  A slight updose, say 1mgai, might take the edge off of the symptoms, but not for long. It would also leave you at a higher dose to start to taper off of. As I mentioned earlier the only way out of poopout is to decrease the dose.   This needs to be done slowly and methodically.  The problem being that the symptoms are entrenched ATM and it will take a good many months before they start to subside, so it will feel like there is no progress being made, even though there is.

I would suggest starting a 10% Brassmonkey Slide. This would mean reducing by 2.5% a week for four weeks and then holding for an additional two weeks.  This gives a total reduction of 10% every six weeks.  We have found this method to be very good at keeping WD symptoms to a minimum and keep the rate of reduction at a fairly good pace. I used it successfully to get out of severe poopout and taper from 40mgai paxil, and Gridley is having great success with it along with many of our other members.   If this sounds interesting let us know and we can help work out the details.

Brassmonkey

How to know that you are in poopout? I tappered down 18 months to 5.5 mg Seroxat then after 1 month on 5.5 mg anxiety hitted me. Really bad. Basically when I started tapper down under 10 mg month after month I got more anxiety. How to know this was poopout? WD or my original condition anxiety disorder/panic attacks? I increased little bit and now I feel stable. But now I am afraid that I reached poopout 😭 Probably I need to stop reading things because I am getting crazy I think that I have all of those things.

AD: Seroxat since 2005 20 mg and tapering from March 2018 10% every 4 weeks.

15-11-2019 down to 5.5 mg 

28-12-2019 crashed really bad on 5.5mg 

01-01-2020 updose to 7mg

16-01-2020 Updose to 9 mg

Benzos: Bromazepam 1.5 mg daily since 2015

Quit CT Bromazepam 16-01-2020 No withdrawals 

Occasionally 1.5 mg extra

Last extra 1.5 mg 12-01-2020

@brassmonkey

@Altostrata

@Gridley 

Thanks for the replies,   by the way brass monkey,  yes I am a fan of blakes7.   

I will try to give a clearer picture of symptoms, especially patterns, It may enlighten the cause of the recent increase in symptoms, and help me decide what action to take. 

Firstly adressing the non linear pattern of withdrawals,   as this is what could be happening to me aswell as maybe  tolerance. 

All my symptoms include the most common ones,  with some extra ones for good measure,  Mostly though I would say I suffer 80% more physical symptoms,  than the mental side.  Anxiety, dep and derealization, dizziness, anhedonia, are present but fleeting and  but not exacerbated. Although cognitive abilities have demised greatly 

I don't suffer depression,  I do wake up and have normal unhappy thoughts that relate to this condition,  I do have crying spells also,  but generally I remain optimistic and push through.  Sleep has had its problems  with lack of it and  dreams, hypnic jerks, but I can get at least 3 to 6 hours a day,  I've never taken sleep aids. 

Head issues as pressures and weird pains was on and off in the early days and months,  

I had a good 4 months before November 2019 where my head issues had gone, 

All other issues had lower and shorter spikes,  paxil type flu had also greatly decreased.  I have stomach issues on and off, but it's been better of late and hasn't increased

Just this Month the severity of physical pain has increased ten fold,  the head issues have returned massively, Mental problems increased minimal. 

So I maybe i a complete brutal physical wave of pain. Seems to has spikes and dips through the day. 

If the remaining 10mg has reached tolerance,   surley perhaps I would have increased anxiety, and mental based symptoms also,  I know that's not a given,  just my thoughts.  

No other medications 

• Administrator

Hello, Blake. Are your symptoms better or worse at any particular times of day? What's your sleep schedule? Where is the physical pain?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@brassmonkey

@Altostrata

@Gridley 

Hi Altostrata,   I'm trying to see if there is symptom pattern, but there doesn't seem to be one.  

Everything seems to chop and change throughout the day. 

Sleeping  throughout have been achieved reasonably well apart from a few short term hick ups along the way.  Usually up to 6 hours with one or two breaks, but get back to sleep well enough. 

Poor sleep has been building and especially changed the last two weeks I usually get down for sleep at midnight, 

Now I feel charged and agitation,  and can't drop off easily,  I awake every hour now with vivid dreams. Each time I try and bed down and don't give up until it no longer possible.  Sleep time now is 3 to 4 total totted up hours. 

The pain in the head is relentless, but it does die down sometimes,  only to return, Dizziness has also increased. The whole body was in pain and stiff and flu like, but has died down today. There isn't one limb that's not in some form of pain,  I just have most of the common conditions of withdrawals.  but increased feeling like I'm electricly charged. 

Was said I maybe In tolerance,  if I was, wouldn't I see a marked increase In anxiety also.  

In your wise experiences has a updose been known this far out,  Does it give a slight advantage that I'm still on the same drug,  with no other drug interventions,   a small increase to help and then take from there.  Or is it really that risky for me,  

Same question for a drop in dose,   is it best to still wait until I stabalise, which could be an age.  

Is there some specific importance in the area of the outer arm about a quarter way down from the top of the shoulder, 

I seem to get some very deep pains there from day one really.  Just getting stronger over time.  

Thanks for any help and advice.   

No other medications 

• Administrator
On 1/31/2020 at 1:11 PM, Altostrata said:

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

Blake, I need to see a summary of your drug history as well as your daily symptom pattern.

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. You can post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right.

@brassmonkey

@Altostrata

@Gridley 

Thank you very much for taking the time with my issues,  I have created my drug profile and will post my first day's symptom list tomorrow.  

Before this I would just like to ask a particularly disturbing symptom of when I'm in conversation, it's either enthusiastic or I'm trying to get my word across,  I get what I can only describe as a tight squashing pulling and even a partial spasm/freeze to the  rear lower head and neck.  Also a tight chest does occur sometimes.  

The head is actually quite frightening,  it does die down after the cause has finished though,  

Has anyone ever heard of this type of symptom before.  

No other medications 

• Administrator

We'll need to see the timing of that symptom in your daily notes.

@Altostrata

5hrs sleep, woken 4 times

5.30  vibration/pressure/aches to head. Light headed, Burning lower legs. 

Deep bone muscle pain in limbs,  muscle twitching. 

6.30  Head vibrations eased

7.30  Limbs/groin/backside feels charged/shakey. Increased head pressures 

8  legs/backside charged type shivers

9  Body vibrations inner shakes 

9.30  10mg seroxat with breakfast 

10.30  Head pressure + Tiredness 

12.30  Flu symptoms 

1.30  flu symptoms eased

3  Pressure/spasm/freeze in rear head during talking enthusiastically 

3.30 pressure /spasm/freeze eased after talk.  Still inner shakes and head pressures 

5.  Leg nerve pain

6.   Inner shakes and head issues eased. 

8.  Burning crawling legs,  left upper arm pain,  hip joints pain, 

9.  Upper arm pain,  legs crawling. 

Inner shakes stopped, head also eased 

All these symptoms ebb and flow through the day,  with fibro type pain. 

Concerns are the head type spasm when talking,  been happening the last month

Also hand shakes when writing or applying pressure like holding knife and fork, allthough this has happened since withdrawal started. 

No other medications 

23 hours ago, Blakes7 said:

@brassmonkey

@Altostrata

@Gridley 

Thank you very much for taking the time with my issues,  I have created my drug profile and will post my first day's symptom list tomorrow.  

Before this I would just like to ask a particularly disturbing symptom of when I'm in conversation, it's either enthusiastic or I'm trying to get my word across,  I get what I can only describe as a tight squashing pulling and even a partial spasm/freeze to the  rear lower head and neck.  Also a tight chest does occur sometimes.  

The head is actually quite frightening,  it does die down after the cause has finished though,  

Hello Blakes7!

I've no insight or information sadly, but I also suffer from this. Been going on for a year or two. If I get excited or irritated (particularly if I am trying to give someone a piece of my mind) I get that brain pulling/chest squeezing. It's the strangest thing, and I never saw anyone describe it before! Happens sometimes during conversations as you said.

Lately, if I am listening to music I can start to sweat and shake if it grips me emotionally. I'm thinking this is a related phenomenon.

On and off various antidepressants starting in 2000. Paroxetine 20mg since early 2012. Sept. 2017-Dec. 2017 I went down to 10mg. Got down to 2mg in Dec. 2019. 

1 hour ago, Paroxetina said:

Hello Blakes7!

I've no insight or information sadly, but I also suffer from this. Been going on for a year or two. If I get excited or irritated (particularly if I am trying to give someone a piece of my mind) I get that brain pulling/chest squeezing. It's the strangest thing, and I never saw anyone describe it before! Happens sometimes during conversations as you said.

Lately, if I am listening to music I can start to sweat and shake if it grips me emotionally. I'm thinking this is a related phenomenon.

Hi paroxetina

Thank you for getting in contact.  

It's a very strange feeling and causes me some alarm.   

When you experience this,  is it the rear of the head?  It's really like a freeze and spasm, vibration, pulling down,  

It's as I said a enthusiastic or demanding conversation. 

Also I can get it whilst watching a movie,   if the movie is getting me emotionally or directly. 

I haven't come across anyone with this either.  You've had it two years? 

No other medications 

1 hour ago, Blakes7 said:

Hi paroxetina

Thank you for getting in contact.  

It's a very strange feeling and causes me some alarm.   

When you experience this,  is it the rear of the head?  It's really like a freeze and spasm, vibration, pulling down,  

It's as I said a enthusiastic or demanding conversation. 

Also I can get it whilst watching a movie,   if the movie is getting me emotionally or directly. 

I haven't come across anyone with this either.  You've had it two years? 

Yes, it's some jolt, zap or spasm in the back of the head. Feels like the neck is becoming briefly tense also. Has gotten a bit worse as my tapering has progressed. But I don't have it all the time. However, it is quite alarming that this has been going on for so long... And I would very much like to know what it is. Hope someone can help us figure it out.

Edit: I have a lot of neck/shoulder tension also. Pretty bad posture and I spend too much time surfing on my phone.

Edited by Paroxetina
Additional info

On and off various antidepressants starting in 2000. Paroxetine 20mg since early 2012. Sept. 2017-Dec. 2017 I went down to 10mg. Got down to 2mg in Dec. 2019. 

• Administrator

Blake, going off paroxetine is particularly difficult.

It appears your nervous system is still destabilized by the decrease you made in 2017.

It's possible you need an increase in dosage to stabilize, but in your situation, I might consider a cross-taper to Prozac instead, to enable you to finally taper off. See The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac

@Altostrata

Thank you for your advice,   As with the symptoms, they all eased down around 60% over the weekend.  Only to increase again slightly so far today. I am getting increased body physical panic symptoms whilst out each week. I don't have anxiety or any fears whilst out, but the body takes over.  I find this strange, especially the head feeling I'm getting.  

I value every opinion here,   so far I've had a warning of updoseing and continued taper could be a risk,. Then  I've had adivce i maybe in tolerance and should perhaps taper,   Now I've had maybe a updose could be a possibility,   or a cross over to another drug.  

I see 5 different possibilities 

I really do understand the complexity of these drugs and the possibe outcome of which ever direction that is taken.

Just that 3 people have given different suggestions has really added confusion.  

Was the drop in labido,  very short burst of restless legs and emotional increase really a sign of tolerance starting,  

If I had tolerance, would I have better days, whilst in paws although not symptom free. 

My drug history is very simple,  one drug,  No other medications. No sugar, alcohol, caffeine, processed foods. 

I'm still on the same drug, all be it half the dose.  Surely this helps a updose,  although I've read the risks.  

Nearly two years of PAWS, I feel Im slowly worsening. Especially body reactions to stress

If I was to updose, how much would you recommend. 

I have  to read the cross over to prozac several more times to understand it.  

Unfortunately I was in the ignorance category,  that if I reduced and struck old issues, I would simply return on the drug and live happily ever after.  

Now I know. 

No other medications 

• Administrator

Paroxetine has a long and well-known reputation as an antidepressant with exceptional adverse effects.

Rather than updose, you might add 0.5mg Prozac and see what it does.

• Mentor

Yes, this drug is very challenging. I am almost exactly 1 year off. I feel WAY better than I did. But getting here was super challenging. I just knew time would get me through. I read enough stories of what was needed to get through and I chalked every single odd thing going on in my body to WDs. Now a majority of them are gone. I still get slight fatigue, headaches and tinnitus. But overall much better....also my panic attacks are not back, that is the original reason I went on this medication 11 years ago.

I changed my nutrition and addressed issues in my gut health and know that is a huge reason why I have been able to stay off this time after many failed attempts previously. 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

1 hour ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

Yes, this drug is very challenging. I am almost exactly 1 year off. I feel WAY better than I did. But getting here was super challenging. I just knew time would get me through. I read enough stories of what was needed to get through and I chalked every single odd thing going on in my body to WDs. Now a majority of them are gone. I still get slight fatigue, headaches and tinnitus. But overall much better....also my panic attacks are not back, that is the original reason I went on this medication 11 years ago.

I changed my nutrition and addressed issues in my gut health and know that is a huge reason why I have been able to stay off this time after many failed attempts previously. 

Thanks cocoo,  may I ask what type of changes you made to your diet.   Do you take probiotics at all or any supplements? 

No other medications 

On 2/5/2020 at 2:26 PM, Blakes7 said:

@brassmonkey

@Altostrata

@Gridley 

Hello there 

what you describe with the spasm/freeze to the lower head and neck is identical to what I have been experiencing since Christmas . 
I’m also coming off Paxil and am currently on 8mg 

i have  remained steady on this dose for 7 months since a 2.5 day CT in August of last year 

LRH 

Nov 2018 Pregabalin 2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD. Aug 2019 2 x 25mg a day, April 2020 45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg, June 2021 14mg, Jan 2022 14mg (2x7mg a day), Oct 10mg, Nov 5mg, December 25th 2022 0mg 🎈

Oct 2004 - Oct 2018 Paxil 20 mg, Nov 15mg, Dec 10mg,  Feb 2019 7.5mg crashed, Feb 8.5mg, Nov 8mg, March 2020 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, Dec 4.5mg, Jan 2021 4mg, Feb 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg, Aug 2.7mg, Sept 2.4mg, Oct 2.2mg, Nov 2mg, Dec 1.8mg, Feb 2022 1.6mg, March 1.4mg, April 1.2mg, May 1.0mg, June 0.8mg, July 0.6mg, Aug 0.4mg, Sep 0.2mg, October 6th 2022 0mg  🎈

December 25th 2022 drug free 

these dates are approximate 

On 1/27/2020 at 11:33 AM, Blakes7 said:

Hello,

In year 2000 I had a emergency operation, this in turn caused me my first ever panic attack,  after the op I had a further panic attack and developed agoraphobia,  this all developed in a very short time of only about 4 weeks at home during the operations recovery.

As agoraphobia set in, I never had anxiety about going out,  my body would just become stiff and in pain to the point I couldn't walk when I went out.  I went to the doc,  he put me on 20mg seroxat and said I have anxiety/depression/agoraphobia.   ( I know i've never had depression in my life.) .  At this point I had a family to feed and really blind in the knowledge of what's just happened to me,    I was ill and there was a medication to use,  ( no offer of therapy ) Once on paxil I was back to work in another two months,   I had all the usual start up symptoms including suicidal ideology.    

I remained on 20mg of  seroxat with no reviews for 18 years, really not many issues,  although in 2016/17 I did notice some changes,  libido dropped out,  restless legs, more emotional,  

In Late 2017 I dropped my 20mg dose to 10mg in the space of 3 months,  ( Big mistake I now know). Whilst fast taper I had no symptoms,  and the 3 months after that the drop holding at 10mg I had no symptoms,  

First withdrawal symptoms was joint pain and was the only symptom I had for another 3 months,  since then until today I'm slowly getting worse, with most of the well known symptoms listed. 

Tinittus sensitivity , reflux, bladder, Colon, gut, groin/genital, dropped heart rate, amazing head pressures,  shakes/vibrations, a touch akathesia,  anxiety, sleep, muscle burn, twitches, restless legs/arms, dep and derealization, the list goes on and on, 

I dropped sugar a year ago,  tried magnesium glycinate and got up to 250mg daily, no benefit. Tried good quality fish oil, had reaction anxiety attack.  My diet is pretty clean because I had reflux since 2015,  and managed with no medication.   

I have small windows maybe an hour or two in the month.  I've really been lucky with sleep apart from the odd period I've managed 6 hours average a night, 

I've been off my work and in withdrawals for 20 months. I've been on the remainder 10mg seroxat for 23 months, with the hope of stability.  

Also a building and worrying development, if I get stressed or anxious, even emotional, I get some tight squeezeing pressure down the back of my head and ears,  it's like a freezing spasm/vibration,   I had a bad episode of this when talking with a person,  it's actually temporarily froze my head and upper body for a couple of seconds.  Like a mini fit,  I'm feeling this tension more each day and its worrying me greatly.  

With this recent uptake in symptoms I'm really looking at increasing my dose,  I know it could be a massive gamble,  as I know and have read enough,   or even a drop in dose,  

I would just like some experienced advice remembering the fact I've been in withdrawals 20 months and remained on a steady dose of 10mgfor 23 months. 

hello there 

Already replied to one of your threads 

have to say the similarities are astounding 

Forgive me if you have already read my other reply 

I’m currently on 8mg Seroxat (Paxil) and since Christmas for no reason at all my symptoms have got a lot worse 

with dizziness and head pressure muscle freeze exactly as you describe identical in fact

Pain in all my muscles and bones  with many other symptoms 

I, like you,  am wondering if this is poop out (I started  fast taper because of tolerance ) or if I still remain unstable.  

or is it the half life of Paxil that interferes even more with our CNS during instability from the fast taper ? 
I am also considering tapering slowly down as I can’t feel any worse than I already do 

increasing  is not an option 

I want off this drug . 
please feel free to get in touch 

LRH

Nov 2018 Pregabalin 2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD. Aug 2019 2 x 25mg a day, April 2020 45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg, June 2021 14mg, Jan 2022 14mg (2x7mg a day), Oct 10mg, Nov 5mg, December 25th 2022 0mg 🎈

Oct 2004 - Oct 2018 Paxil 20 mg, Nov 15mg, Dec 10mg,  Feb 2019 7.5mg crashed, Feb 8.5mg, Nov 8mg, March 2020 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, Dec 4.5mg, Jan 2021 4mg, Feb 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg, Aug 2.7mg, Sept 2.4mg, Oct 2.2mg, Nov 2mg, Dec 1.8mg, Feb 2022 1.6mg, March 1.4mg, April 1.2mg, May 1.0mg, June 0.8mg, July 0.6mg, Aug 0.4mg, Sep 0.2mg, October 6th 2022 0mg  🎈

December 25th 2022 drug free 

these dates are approximate 

• Mentor
11 hours ago, Blakes7 said:

Thanks cocoo,  may I ask what type of changes you made to your diet.   Do you take probiotics at all or any supplements? 

I follow The Plant Paradox Lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. I take two of his supplements vital reds(which has probiotics in it) and total restore. Along side that I take 10,000 IU of vitamin d, 2000 mcg of vitamin c, 8000 mg of fish oil, 300 mg of magnesium, 5 g of L-glutamine, 5000 mcg of b12 and abit of chicory root. I have been taking these for around 14 months. They are all recommended in the book and I follow it. It’s the best results I’ve gotten from medical help in my life. I have come off my AD and am reversing my host of autoimmune diseases. 

• 2 years later...
On 1/27/2020 at 12:33 PM, Blakes7 said:

Hello,

Hello blake !! 
just read your post and guessing that i live a bit of the same situation. 
‘Time passed….a little update would be nice ! 
does time helped ? 
nico 

1999-2002 Seropram 20mg, 2002-2004 Paxil 10mg; 2004-2012 Paxil 20mg, 2012-2013 Effexor 75mg, 2013-2018 Paxil 20mg, 2018-2019 Effexor 75mg, 2019-2021 Paxil 20mg, 2021-present Lexapro 5mg

10-2022 Lexapro 4,5mg + Fish oil + Magnesium, 06-25-2022 Lexapro 4mg + fish oil + Magnesium, 07-23-2022 Lexapro 3.5mg + fish oil + magnesium 

08-23-2022 Lexapro 3.2mg + fish oil + magnesium 

10-13-2022 Lexapro 3mg + fish oil + magnesium

01-01-2023 Lexapro 2,9mg + fish oil + magnesium (insomnia + night anxiety + anxiety) 

01-20-2023 Lexapro 3mg + fish oil + magnesium 

02-11-2023 Lexapro 5mg (no fish oil - no magnesium)

Had to take one prazepam (10mg) in night January22nd 2023 

Had to take one prarepam (10mg) in night February 10th 2023

Prazepam if needed in case of panic attack

On 1/27/2020 at 12:33 PM, Blakes7 said:

Hello,

Hello, 

I could actually copy and paste my own history to yours except that in didn't have surgery and I did change few times antidepressants and I passed from 20mg Paxil/deroxat for 5mg of escitalopram/lexapro 9 months ago. 

I have the same symptoms, same problems to sleep, etc....

Now, I am just scared to taper my escitalopram as I am at 4,5mg and after 9 months, reinstating paxil or updosing my escitalopram could not be a good idea.... Does time help ? should I still continue to taper off my escitalopram ? should I wait.... 

If some of you had similar experience.... I will be happy to exchange.

Good day to all. 

PS : sorry for my explanations but my english isn't that good as I am from France. 

1999-2002 Seropram 20mg, 2002-2004 Paxil 10mg; 2004-2012 Paxil 20mg, 2012-2013 Effexor 75mg, 2013-2018 Paxil 20mg, 2018-2019 Effexor 75mg, 2019-2021 Paxil 20mg, 2021-present Lexapro 5mg

10-2022 Lexapro 4,5mg + Fish oil + Magnesium, 06-25-2022 Lexapro 4mg + fish oil + Magnesium, 07-23-2022 Lexapro 3.5mg + fish oil + magnesium 

08-23-2022 Lexapro 3.2mg + fish oil + magnesium 

10-13-2022 Lexapro 3mg + fish oil + magnesium

01-01-2023 Lexapro 2,9mg + fish oil + magnesium (insomnia + night anxiety + anxiety) 

01-20-2023 Lexapro 3mg + fish oil + magnesium 

02-11-2023 Lexapro 5mg (no fish oil - no magnesium)

Had to take one prazepam (10mg) in night January22nd 2023 

Had to take one prarepam (10mg) in night February 10th 2023

Prazepam if needed in case of panic attack