Lindalou: off Paxil

Lindalou

My name is Linda. Back in the 90’s Paxil was the drug they pushed. I was having problems in my marriage and I cried allot so Dr said this will help. Ohhh why ohhh why did I take it :( been trying to get off ever since. Only took 5 mil so I’d just stop and the flu like symptoms would start my Dr would tell me to just get back on basically it’s safe to be on for the rest of your life   Then I had brain surgery and my neurologist said that is such a small dose it’s not doing anything for you  they don’t even make that dose you had to cut it and to be honest I could take just a sliver and as long as it was somewhat taken I would feel fine

so dec 28th 2018 I took my last pill

right away flu like symptoms started soon after that hot flashes and brain zaps, stopped eating and bowel’s (will I’m sure you all know). Then no sleep which basically makes everything worse  what I could handle was the shakes the anxiety the fear  what was this? Never felt that way in my life   Lived on treadmill stationary bike at 1am walked the neighborhood for hours and always hung around people. I didn’t care if they saw me crazy.  I felt crazy to be honest I only got threw it with the help of God.

Many days laying in my closet praying to the Lord and yes at times he helped me rest when I was able to keep my thoughts on him. I was even able to keep my job and I think that helped even though it too was a struggle I mean I’d only slept an hour. I took Benadryl Tylenol pm nothing helped  however 1 time I got some CBD oil and two Benadryl and I was able to sleep 3 hours I could feel myself trying to wake up and the hot flashes and when it was over I got past another stage  it was a weird feeling but CBD oil never helped again and I still wasn’t sleeping or eating  

Many times I told my husband maybe I should just get back on. Nobody knows how awful it is. Felt like I was in HELL but he was right I was to far out to turn around met a guy named Micheal on YouTube who helped me allot and I met two other people who went threw it that let me bug them anytime and with out their encouragement I’d probably be back on medication but finally around end of April even though still not sleeping things improved enough   Still hot flashes  

I always wanted answers. How much longer?!? So let me say. I’m 1 year 1 month and I’m not totally myself sleep has gotten better at least 5 or 6 hours. Doesn’t seem great but to me it is. I feel tired allot but I love that feeling because while going threw this I never felt that feeling   I’m now also going threw menopause so I’m not sure what’s with drawl and what’s normal

Doctors still don’t acknowledge what happened and In fact the ones that know what happened still want me to take SSRI for menopause. Nope nots gonna happen!

hang in there!

find support 

if I can help anyone else I Pray he leads them in my direction 

Edited by Altostrata
added line breaks
  • Administrator

Welcome, Lindalou.

I moved your post here to start your Introductions topic. You can post about your progress here.

You are a strong person! Good to hear you struggled through and are on the road to healing from Paxil withdrawal.

What is your sleep pattern?

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Mentor

Hello Lindalou. Nice to meet you !

We are at very similar spots in our journeys. I am 10 days shy of being off of paroxentine for 1 full year. I know everything that you are talking about and glad you had noticed improvements. It will continue to get better!! :) 

Everyday that passes is one day closer to being healed!  

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, Lindalou.

I moved your post here to start your Introductions topic. You can post about your progress here.

You are a strong person! Good to hear you struggled through and are on the road to healing from Paxil withdrawal.

What is your sleep pattern?

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

I usually drink either tart cherry juice or Valerian root tea   I also take magnesium with vitamin c. I usually go to sleep around 9 wake up at midnight most nights I can go back to sleep but not always   Fall back asleep couple hours then up at 5am for work I then take B12 fish oil and I drink ningxia red I get from young living. 

Glad for invite from Gail 

1 hour ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

Hello Lindalou. Nice to meet you !

We are at very similar spots in our journeys. I am 10 days shy of being off of paroxentine for 1 full year. I know everything that you are talking about and glad you had noticed improvements. It will continue to get better!! :) 

Everyday that passes is one day closer to being healed!  

How long did you take the meds?

• Administrator

How often do you wake up at midnight? Is it anything in particular that wakes you up?

You may wish to take a little melatonin, such as 0.25mg, if you wake up at midnight or before, see Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

9 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

How often do you wake up at midnight? Is it anything in particular that wakes you up?

You may wish to take a little melatonin, such as 0.25mg, if you wake up at midnight or before, see Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

Every night :( 

i don’t know 🤷‍♀️ 

however I do always have to use the restroom   

I heard if you take to much melatonin your body will stop producing it. Not sure if that’s true 

• Administrator

It's not true about melatonin. But you don't want to take too much, just a little might help you go back to sleep.

Don't drink anything for a couple of hours before bedtime, that might help you sleep.

• Mentor
1 hour ago, Lindalou said:

How long did you take the meds?

I was on it for 11 years. 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Lindalou: off Paxil