Andie

Massabki, 2020, Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor ' discontinuation syndrome' or withdrawal

Andie

“Overt acknowledgment that SSRI use can result in dependence and withdrawal SSRI discontinuation syndrome or withdrawal allows patients to be truly informed in their decisions, and helps inform strategies for safe tapering of these widely prescribed drugs.”

Massabki, I., & Abi-Jaoude, E. (n.d.). Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor ‘discontinuation syndrome’ or withdrawal. The British Journal of Psychiatry, 1-4. doi:10.1192/bjp.2019.269. 

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor ‘discontinuation syndrome’ or withdrawal

Massabki, I & Abi- Jaoude, E. 

https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.2019.269 Published online by Cambridge University Press: 06 January 2020

Summary

Attempts to define selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) withdrawal with the term ‘discontinuation syndrome’ are not supported by evidence. Acknowledging that SSRI use can result in dependence and withdrawal allows patients to be better informed around decisions related to these drugs, and helps inform strategies for safe tapering as appropriate. 

See link below for further discussion of this article. 

https://www.mentalhealthexcellence.org/researchers-antidepressant-withdrawal-not-discontinuation-syndrome/

Andie

I would be so grateful if someone could fix the spelling error in the title. Predictive text got me. 

FindRest
7 hours ago, Andie said:

I would be so grateful if someone could fix the spelling error in the title. Predictive text got me. 

“Reputable inhibitor”...that explains why I am the way I am, lol!!!

Altostrata

Done! Thanks for posting this, and in the format we like for Journals, Andie.