senseless

Tapering off 25mg Seroquel/Quetiapine after being on it for a month

senseless

Hi looking for help with a tapering schedule.

On the 07/01/2020 i was prescribed 25mg Seroquel for insomnia and took it everyday for the next month.

My prescription lapsed 07/02/2020 and initially attempted to Cold turkey it, immediately ran into rebound insomnia most nights.

After doing a bit of reading here it seems its best to taper off, even if you have been on a drug for a short period.

I decided to go this route and last night reinstated myself at 12.5mg, this allowed me to sleep for 4 hours.

So can someone please help me with a tapering schedule, i want to get off this evil drug asap. But i know rushing it could be detrimental. 

Gridley

Welcome to SA, senseless.

After a month on a psychiatric drug, you are at risk of withdrawal symptoms, as you discovered.

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.  This link explains why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This link is specifically about tapering seroquel, including how to get the nonstandard doses you'll need for a 10% taper.

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

I would wait at least a  month before starting tapering to allow your system to stabilize from your cold turkey and reinstatement.  If after a month's time, you're feeling stable, you can begin.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycerinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Here are some non-drug tips help you with sleep.

Tips to help sleep - so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Relaxation exercises, guided meditations, calming videos, sleep hypnosis

Tricks and tips to fall asleep faster

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/02/16/tips-tricks-fall-asleep-faster.aspx?utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20170216Z1&et_cid=DM133787&et_rid=1889748952

This link contains helpful information, including insomnia and also non-drug coping skills.  

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Some members have found Melatonin helpful with insomnia.   

Melatonin for sleep   

It's best to start at a very low dosage, such as .25mg, and gradually increase if needed to the lowest effective dose.  

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

l

senseless

Ok thanks Gridley.

I was wondering if i have reinstated too low? 

I have taken 12.5mg for the past two nights and although it has allowed me too sleep, i am only sleeping 3-4 hours. Should i try and updose?

Also thought the fact i have only been on it for a month it would allow me to taper quicker? 

Any help would be appreciated, im currently going through all this alone as the doctor who prescribed me Seroquel had no idea about it i thought i could just cold turkey it. 

Gridley
13 hours ago, senseless said:

I was wondering if i have reinstated too low? 

We recommend reinstating much lower than your original dose because your system has been sensitized by the cold turkey.  It's always guesswork about how much to reinstate, and we would rather err on the side of caution than overwhelm your system. I would not reinstate back to 25mg; it might be too much for you.  Two questions:

1. How many days were you on zero after your CT before reinstating 12.5?

2. How many days have you been on 12.5?

Are you on the immediate release or the extended release?  In this link are instructions on how make smaller doses.  If you're on the immediate release, you could cut the tablets and reinstate a small bit more.  Take a look at this link and see what you think.

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

13 hours ago, senseless said:

Also thought the fact i have only been on it for a month it would allow me to taper quicker? 

It's possible.  It's to your advantage that you were on it such a short time but there's not an absolute correlation regarding tapering time and how long you've been on the drug.  Once you stabilize from the reinstatement (and if you reinstate further, from that reinstatement), I would stick with the 10% method for three months.  If you're doing well, you could try speeding it up a bit, perhaps to 15% and see how that does.  If you start getting significant withdrawal symptoms, it's a sign you're going too fast and you'd need to drop back to 10%.

Edited by Gridley

senseless

Ok I’ve been holding at the same dose last two nights, though it’s not exact each night as I am dry cutting with a knife and no scale. (Working on this)

My sleep has improved by only one hour. So past two nights have been getting only 4.5-5 hours sleep a night. Which concerns me, should my sleep not be normal if I have stabilised? 

Other possible withdrawal symptoms im experiencing are occasional bursts of anxiety, lower heat tolerance and no libido. 

senseless
On 2/15/2020 at 9:54 PM, Gridley said:

Two questions:

1. How many days were you on zero after your CT before reinstating 12.5?

2. How many days have you been on 12.5?

1. A week

2. 4 nights now

Gridley
10 hours ago, senseless said:

So past two nights have been getting only 4.5-5 hours sleep a night. Which concerns me, should my sleep not be normal if I have stabilised? 

The CT destabilized your system.  It's going to take a while for the reinstatement to stabilize your system.  Is our sleep better now than when you were at zero?  How are your other symptoms now as compared when you were at zero?

You've only been on 12.5 for 4 days.  It takes a bit longer than a week for the reinstatement to reach full state in your system.