Halfdozen

I have been on Lexapro (10mg. daily) & Mirtazapine (7.5 mg. daily) since 2003.  The combination of these 2 drugs gave me some wonderful years up until 2017.  Because of the expense of the brand name Lexapro, I switched to Escitalopram.  Right away I noticed a difference in my mood & side effects.  I always had to be careful of my weight on these drugs, but I was willing to endure this trade-off for the relief I got from taking these meds.  Taking Escitalopram, caused me to begin having severe anxiety & digestive issues.  I started taking Alprazolam to curb the anxiety, but it seemed to make matters worse.  I switched back to brand name Lexapro in 2018, & did a slow taper off of Alprazolam in 2019.  I jumped from it in Dec. 2019.  I still take the Lexapro & Mirtazapine.  However, I still have lingering side effects.  They include constant burping, stomach gurgling & bloating, & trapped gas.  I’ve had a series of GI tests & all came back normal.  Blood work was ok too.  I’m wondering if Lexapro is the culprit, & considering doing a very slow taper off of it.  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Edited by Halfdozen
Punctuation

Half dozen 

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Halfdozen.

Bloating, gas and stomach issues are possible side effects of both Lexapro and Mirtazapine, perhaps slightly more common with the  Mirtazapine, but it would be difficult to tell which one (or possibly both) are causing your symptoms.

We recommend tapering only one drug at a time and tapering the more activating (stimulating) drug first.  Most antidepressants are activating, but Mirtazapine has a sedating aspect, so we'd recommend you taper the Lexapro first. I'm currently tapering Lexapro.

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This link is specifically about tapering Lexapro, including how to get the nonstandard doses you'll need for your taper.

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks Gridley.  I appreciate your input.  You started Lexapro about the same time I did.  I just think it’s strange I never had this issue in the past with these  2 drugs, but maybe getting older , & adding Alprazolam into the mix made a difference.  I wish you luck with your taper, & health & happiness afterwards.    -JS

Half dozen 

• 1 month later...

I just did a taper of Alprazolam.  I jumped in Dec of 2019.  I still have some side effects.  Mainly digestive ones - stomach, throat, & chest gurgling, excessive burping, bloating, & gas all throughout my system.  I also have anxiety, but I do get relief from that during most days.  I still take Lexapro & Mirtazapine.  I’m just wondering if these antidepressants could be the culprit or part of the issue.  Once I stabilize a bit more after my withdrawal from Alprazolam, I’m considering tapering off of these 2 drugs, one at a time under a doctor’s supervision....I’ve been on these drugs for many years, & just wondering if I’ve hit a tolerance with them.  Any input would be appreciated. 

Half dozen 

• Altostrata changed the title to Halfdozen Considering a Lexapro taper
  • Administrator

Hello, Halfdozen.

I moved your post here, to update your Introductions topic, which serves as a journal of your taper and withdrawal experience.

Yes, you could be feeling adverse effects from the drugs you're taking. Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. You can post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right.

This will help us figure out if your drugs are causing problems.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I just did a taper of Alprazolam.  I jumped in Dec of 2019.  I still have some side effects.  Mainly digestive ones - stomach, throat, & chest gurgling, excessive burping, bloating, & gas all throughout my system.  I also have anxiety, but I do get relief from that during most days.  I still take Lexapro & Mirtazapine.  I’m just wondering if these antidepressants could be the culprit or part of the issue.  Once I stabilize a bit more after my withdrawal from Alprazolam, I’m considering tapering off of these 2 drugs, one at a time under a doctor’s supervision....I’ve been on these drugs for many years, & just wondering if I’ve hit a tolerance with them.  Any input would be appreciated. 

Half dozen 

• Administrator

Hello, please see reply in your Introductions topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Altostrata locked this topic
  • 5 weeks later...

I have been on 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine for many years.  Recently, I felt I had reached a tolerance on it, so I upped the dose to 15mg. before bedtime.  I took this  dose for a couple of days.  Because of the coronavirus quarantine, I didn’t check in with my doctor about this.  I did this over a weekend, then  decided it wasn’t a good idea to up my dosage without checking with my doctor 1st.  I went back to taking my previous dosage, 7.5 mg.  Since I have stopped the higher dose, I have had severe stomach gurgling & burping, plus diarrhea.  It has me a bit scared.  Can anyone tell me if this is just a side effect of increasing my dose for a bit then abruptly lowering it?  I really don’t have pain.....I’m also on 10mg of Lexapro which I have also taken for many years.  I feel I have hit a tolerance on both of these drugs , & I’m debating about tapering each, 1 at a time, & very slowly....I think I did a very foolish thing, & I’m paying for it by experiencing mini withdrawal effects.  Would appreciate any response.

Half dozen 

Hi Halfdozen,

It's possible that the stomach problems are unrelated. I think it's a good idea to taper very slowly. There are multiple methods to choose from - the Brassmonkey slide, the 10 percent max every month, microtaper, follow symptom severity taper etc. Please check out the forums on tapering.  There is another principle of tapering the more activating drug first as WD tends to be agitating for many. Have you started an intro topic yet? Once you do you can get more specific advice and support.

Welcome and good luck

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

If possible, I would like some input from Gridley on this post.  I’m about the same age as you, & have been on Lexapro & Mirtazapine for many years.  In the past 2 years, I have developed a lot of digestive issues,.  Mainly, stomach gurgling (worse after I eat), constant burping, gassiness, indigestion, & acid reflux.  I’ve had numerous tests for these issues, & all have come back within normal range.   I think my antidepressants might be causing some of these issues.  Did you have any of these sxs while on Lexapro?  If so, has it helped tapering off the drug?  Are you having much trouble tapering?  ....I’m just tired of not feeling well, & I also think my meds might’ve “pooped out” on me, & are just making me sick now.  Any input would be appreciated....Sorry in advance if I’m not allowed to ask this of a moderator.

Half dozen 

• Administrator

Hello, Halfdozen. I merged all your topics into this one. Please put questions about your situation in this topic.

Please read about adverse effects of each of your drugs on drugs.com

This is a site for going off drugs. If you think your symptoms are from the drugs, we suggest a very gradual taper. Adverse effects of drugs should diminish as dosage gets lower, but you don't want to reduce so fast that you get withdrawal symptoms.

On 3/20/2020 at 9:42 AM, Altostrata said:

Hello, Halfdozen.

I moved your post here, to update your Introductions topic, which serves as a journal of your taper and withdrawal experience.

Yes, you could be feeling adverse effects from the drugs you're taking. Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. You can post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right.

This will help us figure out if your drugs are causing problems.

A month ago, I requested your daily drug schedule and symptom pattern to see if it shows adverse drug effects.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

I thought I would be on Lexapro the rest of my life.  In the past, it was a miracle worker for me for depression & anxiety.  Then when I switched to generic escitalopram in 2017,  I got sick.  I tried to stick with it for about 8 mo & even added Alprazolam for reoccurring panic attacks, but nothing helped my condition.  I reinstated brand name Lexapro in Apr. 2019 thinking it might alleviate my symptoms.  Since then, It has never helped me as much as it did before I switched to escitalopram.  I even think now, I’ve built up a tolerance to it, & it’s making me sick.  Aside from anxiety, I have terrible digestive issues - excessive stomach gurgling & gas, constant burping, diarrhea &/ constipation, chest tightness, bloating,  & acid reflux. I feel like I’m experiencing withdrawal without dropping my dose.  I never had any of these side effects before I made the switch to generic.  I’ve also had numerous GI tests & blood work, & all have come back within normal range.  I’m at a loss as to what to do.  Either up my dose to see if that helps, or start slowly tapering off of it.  Any input would be appreciated.

History

1985-1995, numerous antidepressants

1995-2002, Xanax at various dosages (highest 3 mg. daily)

2003-Tapered off Xanax

2003-Aug.2017, Started Lexapro, 10mg & Mirtazapine, 7.5mg

Aug. 2017-Apt. 2018, Switched from brand name Lexapro to generic, Escitalopram, continued with 

7.5mg Mirtazapine

Jan. 2019-2019, .5mg of Alprazolam 

Apr. 2019-Dec. 2019, Tapered off of Alprazolam

Apr. 2019-Present, went back on brand name Lexapro, 10mg, continued 7.5mg Mirtazapine

Half dozen 

• Administrator

@Halfdozen This is your Introductions topic. Please do not start any more Introductions topics, add posts to this one.

Please read prior responses in this topic.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Halfdozen: Considering a Lexapro taper
  • 1 year later...

Hey Halfdozen if you ever get back on here I would be interested in talking to you to see how you’re doing because I experience the exact same symptoms as you. 

2002 Paxil 30 mg was on for a year or two then managed to taper off 

2007 Lexapro 30 mg -on for about 5- 7 years then switched to Zoloft I can’t remember the dose I think 30-40 mg a day…at one point for a brief time I was up to 200 mg a day but that was way too much for me. Was on Zoloft for a few years then tried to taper off over a six month period when I finally got off I spent two weeks in severe stomach pain that I was forced to go back on I reinstated at 10 mg and worked my way back up to the normal dosage . Around 2018 I saw a new doctor and switched to Prozac for a few weeks and it caused major stomach distress so I was switched to celexa 30 mg which I was on until two months ago 

• 1 year later...

Mirtazapine & Gabapentin Side Effects

I have been on 7.5 mg of mirtazapine for many years.  About 2 years ago, I started waking up very early in the morning.  My doctor told me if this happens, to take another 7.5 mg to get back to sleep.  I have been doing that quite a lot.  Recently, I started to get RLS & pressure headaches around my ears & temples.  Also have bad  tinnitus. All of these symptoms are daily occurrences.   I’m just wondering if it could be from increasing  the Mirtazapine?  I never had any of those symptoms while just taking 7.5 mg.  I also have been taking gabapentin.  Started at 300 mg at bedtime a couple of years ago.  Now,  I’m down to 100 mg.  Could the combination of the 2 drugs be causing my issues &/or withdrawal from gabapentin?  I plan on getting off of both drugs starting with gabapentin.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

Half dozen 

• Moderator Emeritus

1 hour ago, Halfdozen said:

I am trying to get off a low dose (100mg) of gabapentin.  Could you tell me what form of magnesium you used, & how much you took daily?  Head pressure around my ears & temples is my biggest symptom.  Other issues aren’t so bad, but the head pressure is everyday, & it makes me anxious & scared.  

See Post #1 of this topic:

Magnesium

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Please create your drug signature following these instructions.  We need to be able to see your drug history at a glance.  Please update it whenever you make a change.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Halfdozen said:

Mirtazapine & Gabapentin Side Effects

I have been on 7.5 mg of mirtazapine for many years.  About 2 years ago, I started waking up very early in the morning.  My doctor told me if this happens, to take another 7.5 mg to get back to sleep.  I have been doing that quite a lot.  Recently, I started to get RLS & pressure headaches around my ears & temples.  Also have bad  tinnitus. All of these symptoms are daily occurrences.   I’m just wondering if it could be from increasing  the Mirtazapine?  I never had any of those symptoms while just taking 7.5 mg.  I also have been taking gabapentin.  Started at 300 mg at bedtime a couple of years ago.  Now,  I’m down to 100 mg.  Could the combination of the 2 drugs be causing my issues &/or withdrawal from gabapentin?  I plan on getting off of both drugs starting with gabapentin.

We need to know how you have tapered the gabapentin.  Once you create your drug signature (include the reduction information, ie dates and the doses) we may be better able to know if it might be a withdrawal symptom.  However, if you didn't have these symptoms when you were on a higher dose of gabapentin and they only started after you made reductions then it is more likely to be withdrawal.  Side effects are generally dose related so the lower the dose gets the side effects generally reduce.  However, if they started after you increased the mirtazapine then it might be a drug interaction.  (See previous post where I have requested you do a drug interaction check).

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Also please put all the drugs you are taking in these 2 (different) drug interaction checkers.  Copy and paste the results here in your Introduction topic:

Drug.com Interactions Checker

Medscape Drug Interaction Checker

Edited by ChessieCat

• ChessieCat changed the title to Halfdozen: considering a Lexapro taper
  • Moderator Emeritus

Your new topic has been moved to an existing topic.  There are many existing topics on SA, and we like to keep similar information in one place to make it easier to find.  Before creating a new topic, please search to see if one already exists:

migraine-headache-neck-ache-pain-and-head-pressure