Ella56: Drug withdrawal

Ella56

Hello, i just joined this group looking for help/information. I have been 5 months clean from Celexa / Ativan. Except for 3 ativan and 2 days in jan i took celexa again thinking ivshould go back on then realizing it doesnt fix the depression.  It has been a whirlwind with no advice or understanding of what to expect. I was on it for over 10 years and maybe more..started on meds at 21 and now in my 50th. Anybody on here can tell me a bit of what to expect, how to help with the withdraals, what withdrwals they had. I know not to take any herbs. All i take is probiotics and enzymes. My stomach is a mess, my whole body sches still  sense of helplessness, brain is finished zapping but it hurts and lots of ringing, shakiness.  I did not get advice from a doctor. March 2109 i tried pristiq for 3 months then went back on celexa and only maybe 4 weeks did the tapering. Regret that now but its been 5 months off.  Thanks for listening. Ella

Edited by manymoretodays
Added my tapering time frame, name added to title(mmt)

Age 21 started on antidepressants, Paxil, Zoloft cant remember dozes.

Most I remember is being on Celexa 10 - 40 mg since 1996 to 2019 up and down.

Changed to Pristiq March 2019 to May 2019 lowest doze but quit scared ot it.

Went back to Celexa 20mg may 2019 to sept 2019.Tried Cipralex, 3 days,

Went off celexa 20 mg Sept 16/19 taper 1 month.

Took Ativan .5 to 1 mg on and off for years and some Clonazepam for anxiety.

Ativan in dec 2019 about 10 and in jan 2019. .05mg.

Brain zaps  Agitation, terror and dread, suicidal feelings, stomach in fear. afraid to be alone. Depression 

Now: feeling disconnected from self and inability to connect with others, anxiety, depression,.emotionally weak and helplesd, ringing in my ears.

Feb 25, 2020 reinstated 1mg celexa.

• manymoretodays changed the title to Ella56: Drug withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Ella56.  Sorry you're feeling so bad.  

As you know, you're suffering from withdrawal due to a fast taper from Celexa.  You didn't mention how fast you went off the Ativan, but no doubt withdrawal from it is also contributing.  Did you also taper the Ativan in 4 weeks?  The symptoms you describe, including depression, are typical of withdrawal.  

So that you have a better understanding of what you're experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal and healing.

We do know that you will heal, but unfortunately we can't predict how long withdrawal will last.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

The following lists common withdrawal symptoms, though the list is not complete.  Since the central nervous system underlies everything, physical, emotional and mental, the permutations of possible symptoms is almost endless.  Symptoms can come and go and come again.  Gradually, very gradually, you will notice that your baseline slowly improves.  

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

On 8/30/2011 at 2:28 PM,  Rhiannon said: 
When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

AND

On 12/3/2015 at 10:41 AM,  apace41 said: 
Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are trying to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were trying to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and trying to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while life is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made.  

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

We also recommend non-drug techniques to help cope with withdrawal.  Take a look at the links in the following link and see which you think might be helpful to you.

Non-drug techniques to cope

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm just really scared that maybe I went too fast and I don't know what to do now. My brain seems to be sore a lot. My muscles are always sore. And I feel weak helpless a lot. I want 2 encouraged to go forward I don't even know how to go backwards. I will start taking the omega's and magnesium and wondering about zinc. I read somewhere that just try to keep your nervous system as calm as possible. And I read somewhere that a steam bath is good to.

Brain zaps  Agitation, terror and dread, suicidal feelings, stomach in fear. afraid to be alone. Depression 

Now: feeling disconnected from self and inability to connect with others, anxiety, depression,.emotionally weak and helplesd, ringing in my ears.

• Moderator Emeritus
27 minutes ago, Ella56 said:

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm just really scared that maybe I went too fast and I don't know what to do now. My brain seems to be sore a lot. My muscles are always sore. And I feel weak helpless a lot. I want 2 encouraged to go forward I don't even know how to go backwards. I will start taking the omega's and magnesium and wondering about zinc. I read somewhere that just try to keep your nervous system as calm as possible. And I read somewhere that a steam bath is good to.

You will do fine, Ella.  Every one of us has made mistakes.  Muscle soreness and weakness are common withdrawal symptoms and will fade.   It will just take time. Be gentle with yourself.  If you try zinc, start at a low dose to see how it affects you.  Supplements and even food that are fine for the "undrugged" are sometimes too strong for those of us in withdrawal.  I don't know that  a steam bath will help, though if it relaxes you, that's fine. If it stresses your system, it's not a good idea.  Withdrawal and psychiatric drugs aren't something that can be sweated out through the body; they're  a change in the brain that takes time to heal.

Many members have found that epsom salt baths are very calming.

Epsom salts baths - Surviving Antidepressants

If you don't have a bathtub, soaking your feet in epsom salt, perhaps in a bucket, is also helpful.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I'm just worried I ran into a friend. And I felt this total disconnection. And it freaked me out. It was like I was disconnected from myself and I couldn't connect with her. I never had that on and an anti depressant. Am I losing my mind? And I so I told her what I have been doing just thinking it might make me feel better. But it's still there today I'm having a bad day.

I'm just worried I ran into a friend. And I felt this total disconnection. And it freaked me out. It was like I was disconnected from myself and I couldn't connect with her. I never had that on and an anti depressant. Am I losing my mind? And I so I told her what I have been doing just thinking it might make me feel better. But it's still there today I'm having a bad day. I went off celexa in about 2 months and had been on years. I am just scared if i should go back on and taper after reading all the things people go through. I have made it to 4.5 months but went through help and almost ended up in ward it was only a month ago i went to hospital overnight but they had no place at the psyc ward soni went home so scared and weak. I just stay home a lot..eating healthy. Hoping each day is closer to health. 

Titled: Should I go back on Celexa

Hello, feeling so bad emotionally. I have been off meds 4 months. I am thinking of going on a small amount of celexa. My depression is really bad. I went through hell the last four months. How do u breakdown meds ? Small doses ? and if i do go back on i want to taper off slowly the next time. I was on 20 mg ...so maybe i should take 5mg. 

Edited by manymoretodays
merged 2nd intro topic with 1st, title added

I am wondering if i put this in the right area?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ella56 @Ella56and welcome aboard,

It looks like Gridley got you started yesterday.

And I received your PM, just now, titled "How to reinstate or not to?", asking for advice about reinstatement I presume.

Helpful, very helpful to the moderators here, would be if you could :  Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Open up that link, and it explains how to do so.  Very helpful.  Signatures are what you see below each members post, unless viewing from some phone devices.  My understanding is that they may not be viewable, from some phone devices.

On 2/23/2020 at 7:51 AM, Ella56 said:

Hello, i just joined this group looking for help/information. I have been 5 months clean from Celexa / Ativan. Except for 3 ativan and 2 days in jan i took celexa again thinking ivshould go back on then realizing it doesnt fix the depression.  It has been a whirlwind with no advice or understanding of what to expect. I was on it for over 10 years and maybe more..started on meds at 21 and now in my 50th. Anybody on here can tell me a bit of what to expect, how to help with the withdraals, what withdrwals they had. I know not to take any herbs. All i take is probiotics and enzymes. My stomach is a mess, my whole body sches still  sense of helplessness, brain is finished zapping but it hurts and lots of ringing, shakiness.  I did not get advice from a doctor. March 2109 i tried pristiq for 3 months then went back on celexa and only maybe 4 weeks did the tapering. Regret that now but its been 5 months off.  Thanks for listening. Ella

I'm quoting your first post here, as I think you have most of the information needed ^, to put into a signature format.

And then I'll extract a bit from the link, of what goes in a signature, and how:

Your signature appears under all your posts.

If your drug history is very long, the last few years will do. FOR READABILITY, SHORT LINES ARE BEST.

• A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs
  • Include ALL drugs, doses, and dates (starting and stopping)
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (e.g. mid-June) rather than relative time frames (e.g. 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months (e.g. "January" or "Jan" as 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as 9 Jan 2016 or 1 Sept 2016)
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses

Example:

2001–2002 paroxetine 
2003  citalopram 
2004  paroxetine
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to 2016 Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg

Do take a look at the link given too.  I will post this reply and then give you a bit more information about reinstatement, to look at, in my next post.

Edited by manymoretodays
added an @ notification for member

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again, Ella56,

Did you get a chance to look at, some of the links that Gridley gave you yesterday?  Especially:  What is withdrawal syndrome?  Some of the common symptoms of WD?  Waves and windows, that pattern of stabilization?

And is this your first inkling/beginning understanding about WD(withdrawal), since you arrived here?  For many members it is, so no need for embarrassment, if so.  Many of us are not informed about the drugs creating dependencies, and then the possibility of WD  and especially when a too fast taper is done.

Me, I read Robert Whitaker's book, Anatomy of an Epidemic, several years ago now, which enlightened me quite a bit.  And then found people, mostly online, a few on the ground(or locally) who understood.  As I kept getting worse, on meds, not better and then also kept getting different diagnoses, which I'll refer to as diagnonsense.

Altostrata, had some similar experiences, and founded this site back in 2011.  See:  About SurvivingAntidepressants.org

There is also a lot of other, more general, good information, in the Read This First forum, that you'll see at the top of the forum list here, from the Home page, or main page, of this site.

And okay.....so you are wondering about reinstatement now.

On 2/23/2020 at 7:51 AM, Ella56 said:

I have been 5 months clean from Celexa / Ativan. Except for 3 ativan and 2 days in jan i took celexa again

About reinstatement and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Definitely, do your best to read through the ^ information.

At 5 months out now, from your med(s) it's real iffy, as to if you would benefit from a small reinstatement.  Also, keep in mind that a reinstatement, is not like just going back on another medication, or even your last medication........we recommend a very small dose for reinstatement's.  For example, with your Celexa/citalopram, perhaps just 1 mg.  As often, after years and years of medications, and then more abrupt withdrawals.......the nervous system can be very dysregulated, or sensitive, to medications even those used before.  And then reinstatement, often will just improve symptoms a bit, at best.  I would not expect it to totally resolve your symptoms, but it might help.  So take a good look through this topic please.

And so, Ella56, you have a lot to look over and think about now.  I don't tend to tell anyone directly, what to do.  I like to empower members, with good information, and then allow them to decide what is next.

On 2/23/2020 at 5:34 PM, Ella56 said:

And I felt this total disconnection. And it freaked me out. It was like I was disconnected from myself and I couldn't connect with her. I never had that on and an anti depressant. Am I losing my mind? And I so I told her what I have been doing just thinking it might make me feel better. But it's still there today I'm having a bad day.

The ^, is a fairly common WD symptom, that we see.  I think it sounds a bit like:

Derealization or Depersonalization(DR and DP)

^ this is a 6 page topic in our Symptoms and Self Care forum, with member and moderator discussion around.

Just so you know, you are not alone here, with your symptoms.  Many members understand and then support each other here.

So okay, I hope I have not overloaded you with information.  You asked.  B)  Please just ask any questions now, right here, on your introduction page, for right now.  You'll get more familiar with the site, as time goes on.  And welcome again, to survivingantidepressants.org.  The club none of us really wanted to join.  It's a good one though, if I do say so myself.

(and wow I am wordy this evening)

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays
bolded

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Ella56, @Ella56

I merged your 2 most recent posts back to this, your main introduction.  Just one introduction per member is our rule.  Just continue to post right here now.  Thankyou.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Ella56 said:

How do u breakdown meds ? Small doses ? and if i do go back on i want to taper off slowly the next time. I was on 20 mg ...so maybe i should take 5mg. 

And okay, I would not suggest more than a 1 mg reinstatement dose for your Celexa/citalopram.  If I were you, I would want to try just a very low dose.  As that's harm reduction.  Just in case you reacted badly to it.  In which case you would stop it.  If no reaction, then you persist, and if it helps some, then stay put.  Much less to taper off later too.

Tips for tapering off Celexa(citalopram)

The first post in ^, gives information on how to get a small dose of citalopram.

Happy to help you more Ella56, once you have had a chance to look at some of the information from both Gridley and I. 

Ask any questions here.

Some members do decide to just go with non-drug coping skills too, as tough as that sounds right now, I'm sure, if you are new to all this.  We can all try to help you with whatever you decide.

Best.

Edited by manymoretodays

23 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

And okay, I would not suggest more than a 1 mg reinstatement dose for your Celexa/citalopram.  If I were you, I would want to try just a very low dose.  As that's harm reduction.  Just in case you reacted badly to it.  In which case you would stop it.  If no reaction, then you persist, and if it helps some, then stay put.  Much less to taper off later too.

Tips for tapering off Celexa(citalopram)

The first post in ^, gives information on how to get a small dose of citalopram.

Happy to help you more Ella56, once you have had a chance to look at some of the information from both Gridley and I. 

Ask any questions here.

Some members do decide to just go with non-drug coping skills too, as tough as that sounds right now, I'm sure, if you are new to all this.  We can all try to help you with whatever you decide.

Best.

I am scared of the withdrawal symptoms. Especially the depersonal feelings i had yesterday.. Like i am not real. I am scared of everything.  I cant connect with my daughter and grandaughter. I feel i cant get a grip on myself. If i went back on 1mg will these go away. And will i have to deal with them again when i taper off 1mg. Can you taper off 1 mg. I have known nothing about what all this is til now.  When u say harm reduction..could it be worse then what i am dealing with? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, you can taper off 1 mg.

Ella56, you are going to have to take a look at all the information I gave you.  And then think about it all a bit.  Overnight, or for a couple of days.  Try not to freak out.  You are among people who understand here.

At best, after 5 mos. off Celexa now, it might just help a little, as I said above.

As far as harm reduction goes, by reinstating the small amount, the 1 mg dose, that's what I meant.  The small reinstatement trial would be harm reduction, as opposed to a larger dose reinstatement, in my opinion.

Definitely read about the Waves and Windows.

And hey, great on the signature!

And on the Ativan?  So are you taking that daily now?

Could you post here, the time, Ativan by name, and the dose taken.

If not daily, then how often and again, what dose is taken?

This might be a factor in your present symptoms too.

And so......very important information for you to share with us.

Thank you.

Sometimes, the scary lets up a bit, when one realizes that the DP/DR is just a symptom.  That it won't be a forever thing.  Might give you some strength to work around that symptom, as well as the "depression", or low feelings too.  Symptoms eventually resolve. 

You, no doubt, have WD syndrome.

And I'm wondering, on your Ativan and dosing, and how frequently you are taking that now.  Everything Matters.  It does.

((((Ella56))))

Edited by manymoretodays

Keep a record of when you take your ativan, and when your symptoms occur.

Also, keep a record of what Your eat and when.  It's alot, I know but many things are related.

Many people have worsening symptoms with sugar or carbs or large meals.  I had seizures and bad anxiety if I ate too many carbs between 3-8pm.

It seems to me Your having constant anxiety at this point, which is ruling Your thoughts.  Sometimes just realizing that helps take control of what You are thinking.

If cutting out all caffeine and lowering sugar and carbs helps, let us know! 

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs 8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/31/21: 0.20mgs, 1/03/22: 0.18mgs, 3/5/22: 0.16mgs, 5/5/22: 0.14mgs.

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

Hello  i need help..i want to add more to my introduction of what  i went through these last five months. I feel i will never get over this. There was times i cried so much i felt i couldnt deal with one more moment of pain. I thought i wa letting my feelings out but it felt demoralizing after the amount i did and die from it didnt realize it was withdrawals. I drove sround irratical and didnt realize that was withdrawals..was thinking of driving into things in anger. I did all this alone didnt tell anyone and didnt understand what i was going through. I thought it was some grief from losses i went through the last 2 years.  I feel helpless that i cant take care of myself. I ended up inthe hospital twice overnight ..once vomiting and once because i was going to put myself in phsch ward but there was no room. I came home scared. I am traumatised by the last few months and i dont know how to explain and feel so weak. Can i really make it out of this? My muscles hurt, head is shaky dizzy.. i cant think clear, stomach always sore sick anxiety.. I cant work only 2 more months on Ei. I was taking a product from a company that had me on aminos and protein shakes the last five months they said this is the way to get off ad ..it wasnt.  I am reading the msterial here. Im scsred to go forward and scared to go backwards. I dont kniw where my strength will come from 

11 hours ago, Colonial said:

Keep a record of when you take your ativan, and when your symptoms occur.

Also, keep a record of what Your eat and when.  It's alot, I know but many things are related.

Many people have worsening symptoms with sugar or carbs or large meals.  I had seizures and bad anxiety if I ate too many carbs between 3-8pm.

It seems to me Your having constant anxiety at this point, which is ruling Your thoughts.  Sometimes just realizing that helps take control of what You are thinking.

If cutting out all caffeine and lowering sugar and carbs helps, let us know! 

Ok will be conscionce of what eat and put it in journal. I dont take ativan anymore and dont do any sugar or coffee. Thank you. 

18 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Welcome to SA, Ella56. I'm sorry you're feeling so bad.

You're suffering from withdrawal due to a too-fast taper of Celexa.  The symptoms your describe are typical withdrawal symptoms.  The feelings of disconnection from self and others is know as depersonalization and derealization.  You will heal and make it out of this bad spot.   Unfortunately, we can't tell you how long it will take.  So that you have a better understanding of what you're experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal and healing.

What is withdrawal syndrome

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

On 8/30/2011 at 2:28 PM,  Rhiannon said: 
When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

AND

On 12/3/2015 at 10:41 AM,  apace41 said: 
Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are trying to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were trying to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and trying to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while life is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made.  

Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  

Reinstatement isn't a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone but it's the best tactic available.  Depending on when in October you took your last dose of Celexa, you're around two months outside the time period where reinstatement predictably works, up to 3 months after last dose.  So reinstatement might work or it might make things worse.  We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  These drugs are strong,  and If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become more unstable.   Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

If you're interested in reinstating Celexa, please let me know and I can suggest a dosage.  Do not reinstate without letting me suggest a dosage.  If you want to reinstate, I need a little more information:

1. When was your last dose of Celexa?

2. What was that dosage?

3. What was your rate at which you tapered?

4. Do you still have some Celexa or can you get some?

If you don't want to reinstate, that is fine.  As I said, you will heal, but it will take some time.  We recommend non-drug techniques to cope with withdrawal.  Take a look at the links in the following link and see which you think might be helpful to you.

Non-drug techniques to cope

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  Please don't start any more Introduction topics; only one Introduction topic per member.

We're glad you found your way here.

I went off 20m Celexa beginning of september. I was on it for 10 to 15 years. I also tried pristiq last year for 3 months and trintellex for 2 months  then went back on celexa. I tapered off to 0mg in one month. I have been on ativan when needed. 5 to 10  a month Last few months of 2019. I havemt taken any since feb 1 2020. I was told by healthstore to take these vit and aminos that people go on once they get off meds but they usually go on before they get iff meds to build up in the system. I did it backwards So wasnt working for me i was also told by them to do isolate protein shakes which i did work much. I have celexa 20mg Still. My last dose of celexa 10mg

• Moderator Emeritus
5 minutes ago, Ella56 said:

My last dose of celexa 10mg

Vitamins and aminos and protein shakes will do nothing for going off antidepressants, whether taken before, during or after.   Alternative practitioners know know no more than mainstream allopathic doctors about going off antidepressants and withdrawal.

Did you want to try reinstatement?  Again, it might make things better but it could make things worse.

When was your very last dose of Celexa and what was that dose?

Be very careful with the Ativan.  You can become dependent within 2 to 4 weeks of regular use and also from intermittent use.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

5 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Vitamins and aminos and protein shakes will do nothing for going off antidepressants, whether taken before, during or after.   Alternative practitioners know know no more than mainstream allopathic doctors about going off antidepressants and withdrawal.

Did you want to try reinstatement?  Again, it might make things better but it could make things worse.

When was your very last dose of Celexa and what was that dose?

Be very careful with the Ativan.  You can become dependent within 2 to 4 weeks of regular use and also from intermittent use.

My last dose I took celexa 10 mg feb 1 2020 just to try one day. Before that i think it was sept 1 2019 around. If i reinstate would i be going back up to that amount again.?  I was still depressed on 10 mg.  Would it just be helping me with symptoms? The worse is the weakness i feel emotionally physically. Then once i got some symptoms away i would be tapering off slowly? I dont take Ativan anymore since beginning of feb2020 and not going to. 

1 minute ago, Ella56 said:

My last dose I took celexa 10 mg feb 1 2020 just to try one day. Before that i think it was sept 1 2019 around. If i reinstate would i be going back up to that amount again.?  I was still depressed on 10 mg.  Would it just be helping me with symptoms? The worse is the weakness i feel emotionally physically. Then once i got some symptoms away i would be tapering off slowly? I dont take Ativan anymore since beginning of feb2020 and not going to. 

Is there anything i can take for muscle soreness? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ella56, @Ella56,

13 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Ella56, @Ella56

I merged your 2 most recent posts back to this, your main introduction.  Just one introduction per member is our rule.  Just continue to post right here now.  Thankyou.

Hi, and merged your new topic, once again back here.  This is your introduction page Ella56, in the Introduction forum.  Just one topic in this forum per member.

Some of your questions and concerns, have already been addressed here.

Please continue to post right here, ask questions around your case right here as well.

You can now scroll on up to see the previous replies and suggestions, and information given.

Many thanks.

mmt

• Moderator Emeritus
26 minutes ago, Ella56 said:

Would it just be helping me with symptoms?

Yes, the only purpose of reinstatement is to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.  It is not to treat depression except it can alleviate depression caused by withdrawal. You would not be going back to your previous dose.  If you want to reinstate, I would recommend a reinstatement of 1mg Celexa.  You would then stabilize, which could take several months.  You would then taper off the 1mg with a slow taper of 10% of current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

If you want to reinstate 1mg Celexa, let me know and I will give you some more information.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

14 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Ella56, @Ella56

Thank you. I am not thinking real clear❤

42 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Yes, the only purpose of reinstatement is to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.  It is not to treat depression except it can alleviate depression caused by withdrawal. You would not be going back to your previous dose.  If you want to reinstate, I would recommend a reinstatement of 1mg Celexa.  You would then stabilize, which could take several months.  You would then taper off the 1mg with a slow taper of 10% of current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

If you want to reinstate 1mg Celexa, let me know and I will give you some more information.

Ok how would i do this. And how will i know if it is not working? 

Just now, Ella56 said:

I guess you cant tell me your opinion, from the info i gave you? I was more like 30 years on and off sntidepressants. Went through a lot of trauma if that makes any difference. 

• Moderator Emeritus
4 minutes ago, Ella56 said:

The following link explains how to get 1mg Celexa from your 10mg tablets, either by weighing tablets using a digital scale or making your own liquid.

Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

If you decide to weigh, many members use the Gemini-20 scale available on Amazon.

It takes a little more than a week for the reinstated dose to reach full state in your system.  You might feel better after a couple of days or it might take 8 or 9 days.   

If after reinstating you feel worse, stop immediately.

8 minutes ago, Ella56 said:

I guess you cant tell me your opinion, from the info i gave you?

There is no way for me to know whether it will work or not or make things worse.  All we know is that it works most predictably within 3 months of last regular dose and that you are 6 months from your last dose.  Sometimes it works that far out, sometimes it doesn't.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

I talked to pharmacy and they will do it up for me if i get a prescription Tonight i am feeling fear feelings from what has happened the last few months. I was in so much pain and close to being in a psych ward or dead. It was the most painful hopeless alone few months. I just about didnt make it and dont know how i did. I look back and i feel just trauma..overwhelm..overwhelm helpless..i was out of it. I just breathe and wonder why. I struggling with it all. Feel so vulnerable and all from meds. So unbelievable. Cant sleep.  Scared to be alone. Then i cry and wi der when these feelings will go away.

12 hours ago, Gridley said:

The following link explains how to get 1mg Celexa from your 10mg tablets, either by weighing tablets using a digital scale or making your own liquid.

Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

If you decide to weigh, many members use the Gemini-20 scale available on Amazon.

It takes a little more than a week for the reinstated dose to reach full state in your system.  You might feel better after a couple of days or it might take 8 or 9 days.   

If after reinstating you feel worse, stop immediately.

There is no way for me to know whether it will work or not or make things worse.  All we know is that it works most predictably within 3 months of last regular dose and that you are 6 months from your last dose.  Sometimes it works that far out, sometimes it doesn't.

Can you tell me again why 1mg instead of 5 mg? What will 1mg do ?  I feel traumatized by what i have gone through. Tonight i cut up the 20mg into 5 mg and then took a fifth of that 5mg. What can i expect from 1 mg. Is it going to make me better? It is so bad tonight. How will i know if it is making it worse or better? 

On 2/23/2020 at 5:34 PM, Ella56 said:

I'm just worried I ran into a friend. And I felt this total disconnection. And it freaked me out. It was like I was disconnected from myself and I couldn't connect with her. I never had that on and an anti depressant. Am I losing my mind? And I so I told her what I have been doing just thinking it might make me feel better. But it's still there today I'm having a bad day.

Are the symptoms the same if you taper off slowly or like i did? The brain still has to rewire. So if i go back on meds i and taper slowly i will be going through the symptoms again when i get back to 0? 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Ella56 said:

Can you tell me again why 1mg instead of 5 mg? What will 1mg do ?  I feel traumatized by what i have gone through. Tonight i cut up the 20mg into 5 mg and then took a fifth of that 5mg. What can i expect from 1 mg. Is it going to make me better? It is so bad tonight. How will i know if it is making it worse or better? 

Hi Ella

Gridley has advised you 1mg To avoid the risk of kindling.

These drugs are very powerfull, so it is better To start with a low dose.

Nobody can predict how it Will work, but it is the only way we know alleviate symptoms. As Gridley told you, it Will take a few days for the drug To reach full state in your system. 

Keep us informed of how you are doing.

Could be interesting for you and mods To keep a daily journal of your symptoms To see how they evolve. 

9 minutes ago, Ella56 said:

Are the symptoms the same if you taper off slowly or like i did? The brain still has to rewire. So if i go back on meds i and taper slowly i will be going through the symptoms again when i get back to 0? 

As said before, nobody can predict how someone Will react in WD.

However, all the testimonials here show that a very slow tapper is the best way To avoid intense symptoms.

It may not be symptom free, but the intensity may be much lower.

Hang on dear, it can get better ❤

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

8 minutes ago, Erell said:

Hi Ella

Gridley has advised you 1mg To avoid the risk of kindling.

These drugs are very powerfull, so it is better To start with a low dose.

Nobody can predict how it Will work, but it is the only way we know alleviate symptoms. As Gridley told you, it Will take a few days for the drug To reach full state in your system. 

Keep us informed of how you are doing.

Could be interesting for you and mods To keep a daily journal of your symptoms To see how they evolve. 

As said before, nobody can predict how someone Will react in WD.

However, all the testimonials here show that a very slow tapper is the best way To avoid intense symptoms.

It may not be symptom free, but the intensity may be much lower.

Hang on dear, it can get better ❤

So i woll stay at 1mg for a week and see and then if that helps ..stay on that for how long? Since i didnt slow taper this might get in more towards the slow taper effects at least? Is there anything i can take for muscle pain? 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, Ella56 said:

So i woll stay at 1mg for a week and see and then if that helps ..stay on that for how long? 

Again, nobody can predict how long Will your system need To stabilize. 

It may take weeks To several months, with a pattern of Windows and waves (have you read the topic about waves and Windows pattern?)

For now,  you're trying a reinstatement, so let's focus on that.

As I Said, it could be helpfull To keep a daily journal of your symptoms To see how you do with reinstatement.

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

2 minutes ago, Erell said:

Again, nobody can predict how long Will your system need To stabilize. 

It may take weeks To several months, with a pattern of Windows and waves (have you read the topic about waves and Windows pattern?)

For now,  you're trying a reinstatement, so let's focus on that.

As I Said, it could be helpfull To keep a daily journal of your symptoms To see how you do with reinstatement.

So i am reinstating just to hope for not as extreme window and waves? 

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, Ella56 said:
19 hours ago, Gridley said:

Can you tell me again why 1mg instead of 5 mg? What will 1mg do ?

Your system is very sensitize and 5mg would be too much for it and could overwhelm your central nervous system and make you more destabilized.  If you take too much it can take a long time to stabilize again.  

7 hours ago, Ella56 said:

took a fifth of that 5mg.

These drugs are very powerful.  The goal is reinstating is to alleviate withdrawal symptoms caused by a too-fast taper.

It would be better to have the pharmacy make up 1mg dose.  Cutting the tablet is not going to be consistent or accurate.

Remember, it takes a little over a week for the reinstatement to reach full state in your system so you might not feel an improvement until then.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

7 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Your system is very sensitize and 5mg would be too much for it and could overwhelm your central nervous system and make you more destabilized.  If you take too much it can take a long time to stabilize again.  

These drugs are very powerful.  The goal is reinstating is to alleviate withdrawal symptoms caused by a too-fast taper.

It would be better to have the pharmacy make up 1mg dose.  Cutting the tablet is not going to be consistent or accurate.

Remember, it takes a little over a week for the reinstatement to reach full state in your system so you might not feel an improvement until then.

So I am reinstating to get rid of some withdrawal symptoms to get a bit ostabilizing relief.?  And how long on 1mg? Once i stabilize the nervous system a bit then i will taper off this?