Sk6148: venlafaxine withdrawal induced hypomania

Sk6148

Id appreciate any advice because at the moment i feel we are losing the battle... 

In regards to my mom... 

Started to 'wean herself' off venlafaxine uncontrolled july/aug/sep2019 Taking sporadically.. We dont know how long this was for exactly. 

Presented to doctors with manic symptoms and referred to CMHT (UK)

Diagnised bi polar II. No prior manic periods. Just depression.

Venlafaxine stopped instantly as per docs orders and aripiprazole perscibed for mania.

Hypomania stopped and depression worsened.
Prescribed ecitalopram alongside aripiprazole.

By chance i googled venlafaxine withdrawal and came across studies stating that sudden discontinuation can lead to hypomania so now we think we have been misdiagnosed and that venlafaxine should have been reinstated.

Venlaxaxine was withdrawn in october november time.

Mom is havibg suicidal thoughts and is absolutely empty. Its so heartbreaking. We are getting nowhere with CMHT.. We have called 111. Presented to a&e. Called crisis team multiple times.
Consultant is now on holiday and we have noone else to turn to.

Please please can i have some advice on where we can turn to and what y we can do.
My mom attempted suicide 5 years ago which resulted in a hospital stay which is when Venlaxaxine was prescribed. We knew nothing about the drug then but it really did help her depression.. Mom thoight she was wrll enough to come off it but had done no research on how to. Which is why i believe all this has happened. 

What do we do? Its like we are banging our heads against a brick wall with cmht x

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Sk6148.  I'm sorry your mom is going through this.

I'm alerting the other moderators and administrators to your situation.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sk6148,

Oh and so sorry that you are going through this now, with your Mum.

I'm not clear on if she is home with you, or alone, or in hospital right now.  Is she presently home then?  You allude to that, as you have called around for help, locally.

And yes, Venlafaxine WD(withdrawal) can be brutal sometimes, and especially if done too quickly, or without any knowledge.  I was able to come off it, but unfortunately, was not in the know, nor was my prescriber.......as to proper tapering procedure, and/or WDsyndrome.  And so......much like your Mum, wound up re-medicated and mis-diagnosed for years.  On the positive though, I am now medication(s) free and thriving.  Very much so.  I am through most of the more acute phases, of WDsyndrome.

For those who are feeling desperate or suicidal

might be something specific to the UK, in ^

I've heard good things about the Good Samaritans, at least as far as offering comfort, over the phone

And safety first.  For all of you now.

Are you your Mum's caretaker now?

What medications is your Mum on now?

And would she post here herself? 

Meantime, hang in there please, and thank you for being her advocate now.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• ChessieCat changed the title to Sk6148: venlafaxine withdrawal induced hypomania