tedsu55: withdrawal?

tedsu55

🙂  I'm new to the site.  Couple of questions.  Had a couple of bouts with GAD 18 years ago.  Lexapro fixed the problem both times and stopped both times with no problems after a few months.  June 2018 felt depressed. Doctor prescribed Lexapro for six months (Dec. 2018).  Then quit over 11 days by skipping doses as he suggested.  Some symptoms returned and we tried Zoloft the end of March 2019.  Worked up to 100 mgs. by June 21 but having very loose stools.  Quick 6 day taper August 22 with plans to begin Cymbalta.  Just quit instead and contacted Doctor to advise her. It's now been 6 months off AD's and the first couple were ok.  Began having some problems third month.  Experiencing bad mornings (anxiety) and waking early.  Also stomach ache and kind of dizzy sometimes.

1.  Is anyone experiencing the same symptoms?

2.  Can this be withdrawal after 6 months with no AD's

3.  Could this be a relapse?

Edited by Shep
added new username to title

2003 - Lexapro 10 mg - 6 months - GAD

2006 - Lexapro 10 mg - 6 months - GAD

2018 - Lexapro 10 mg - 6 months - Depression/GAD

2019 - Zoloft 25 increase to 100 mg - 6 months - Depression/GAD

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, tedsu55.  If this is your real name, please let me know and suggest a screen name so we can substitute it to preserve your anonymity.

Sometimes a person can go off a drug fast once or twice with  no problems, then experience withdrawal the next time due to the central nervous system being sensitized by the first two fast tapers/cold turkeys.  Withdrawal symptoms can often be delayed, and the 3-month mark for them to begin is very common.  Withdrawal can easily last six months or longer, and unfortunately it is impossible to predict how long withdrawal will last. 

The symptoms you describe are typical withdrawal symptoms and are more in line with withdrawal from your fast taper of Lexapro or Zoloft of both rather than relapse.  The early morning anxiety and waking early is a common withdrawal symptom caused by dysregulation of the cortisol system due to withdrawal.

Waking with panic or anxiety - managing the morning cortisol ...

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

On 8/30/2011 at 2:28 PM,  Rhiannon said: 
When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

For future reference, to avoid or mitigate withdrawal, we recommend tapering by no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  We never suggest skipping doses, as It causes the amount of the medication in your bloodstream to go up and down, battering your nervous system and making withdrawal worse.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Shep
edited to reflect member's new username

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks for the quick reply and great information.  Very helpful

• manymoretodays changed the title to Tedeaston: Withdrawal???

Titled:  Zoloft withdrawal symptoms

Did a 6 day taper on 100MG Zoloft 6 months ago.  Had been taking them about 6 months.  Planning to begin Cymbalta but decided to stop completely.  First 2 or 3 months were fine but then began having some problems.  Now, 6 months completely off still having some issues.  curious whether others are experiencing the same.  Biggest issue is waking early with anxiety.  Also having some stomach pain, growling, gas etc.  Otherwise, not too bad by early afternoon.  Any feedback is appreciated as I'm new to SA.

Edited by ChessieCat
unbolded font

Yep I’ve been holding at 50mg of Sertraline from 75mg for nearly 7months now having the same symptoms as you.

2013..50mg Sertraline

10mg Prednislone

20mg Omeprazole

2019 April....75mg Sertraline

...8mg Prednislone

...20mg Omeprazole

2019 July...50mg Sertraline

...7.5mg Prednislone

...20mg Omeprazole

Presently on as above but 7mg of Prednislone.

• 4 months later...

A year next month - still feelin weird???

After 6 months on lexapro 10 and 6 months on zoloft 100, next month the 21st will be a year since quitting.  Still having issues with waking early, stomach/digestive issues and terrible mornings (anxiety) until about 1:00 pm. It's not every day but often enough to be a significant hinderance. Is anyone out there having these kind of problems?  I've heard about cortisol mornings but this is really a pain in the rear end.  HELP - ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED!!!!!!!

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• ChessieCat changed the title to tedsu55: withdrawal?
  • Moderator Emeritus

I've moved your new topic to your Introduction.  This keeps your history in one place.

Please create your drug signature.  Please include any other drugs you have previously or are currently taking.  Instructions for what is needed:  please-summarize-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature

This link goes to your signature.  Remember to Save after creating/editing it.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Thank you.

2 hours ago, tedsu55 said:

After 6 months on lexapro 10 and 6 months on zoloft 100, next month the 21st will be a year since quitting.

Did you quit these drugs without tapering?

Please see the relevant post/s in this topic.  There is an index to links in Post #1.

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take/

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Did an 11 day taper on Lexapro (normal dose every other day) per doctor.  Skipped a couple of months and started Zoloft 25 mg.  Worked up to 100 mg over 4 months.  At 6 months with digestive problems did a 6 day taper with plans to begin Cymbalta - changed my mind, notified doctor and quit altogether.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, tedsu55 said:

A year next month - still feelin weird???

After 6 months on lexapro 10 and 6 months on zoloft 100, next month the 21st will be a year since quitting.  Still having issues with waking early, stomach/digestive issues and terrible mornings (anxiety) until about 1:00 pm. It's not every day but often enough to be a significant hinderance. Is anyone out there having these kind of problems?  I've heard about cortisol mornings but this is really a pain in the rear end.  HELP - ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED!!!!!!!

You have antidepressant withdrawal syndrome, probably from going off Lexapro too fast in 2018 or Zoloft in 2019. Going on and off psychiatric drugs and having adverse reactions can sensitize your nervous system to drug changes.

How did you feel in the 2 months after you went off Lexapro and before you took Zoloft?

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

feeling like I needed something else but not quite like lexapro.  That's why we switched to zoloft 25 mg.  In hindsight I think I may have been experiencing lexapro withdrawal instead.  

• Administrator

Recovery from withdrawal syndrome can be very slow and gradual. At this point, doing what you can to reduce your symptoms is probably your best option.

See

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for your advice.  Much appreciated.  I will keep all informed of progress regarding magnesium and fish oil,