Stormstrong

How to self-care when keeping up with News, and not end up a dull person?

Stormstrong

Really needing very good advice on this. Anyone here with a great love for the world and constant concern about its well-being, which translates to a feverish desire to read the news - news which is increasingly dark, triggering, and that which greatly affects how you feel the entire day. How do you let go of the news, for your sanity, and not become even further alienated from people, because you do not keep abreast of what is going on in the world?

(sorry about all the commas)

UnfoldingSky

Well as a Canadian I can say if you want to know about American politics but don't want to get too upset, probably your best bet is to watch late night talk shows.😃

• Like 1

drugged
On 3/7/2020 at 7:52 PM, Stormstrong said:

Really needing very good advice on this. Anyone here with a great love for the world and constant concern about its well-being, which translates to a feverish desire to read the news - news which is increasingly dark, triggering, and that which greatly affects how you feel the entire day. How do you let go of the news, for your sanity, and not become even further alienated from people, because you do not keep abreast of what is going on in the world?

(sorry about all the commas)

I'm really struggling with this.  My only social contacts are through Facebook because I rarely leave the house.  On the one hand I get a lot of good feelings from some of my long term friends there but on the other the political crap depresses me.  I've noticed a pattern over the last 20 years in which I tend to feel very discourage during election years regardless of which direction the election itself is going.  

hacilar

I am a history buff.  "The Newz" is history in the making.  A story...yes, it's often upsetting (whew boy the propaganda-o lordy) but I am fascinated by what people are thinking; a psychological explanation of why my fellow citizens of the planet act the way they do. I must admit, I haven't figured anything out, except that humans have waaaaay too much hubris and not enough humility.  And compassion seems to have been subsumed by the 'greed is good' mantra we've been relentlessly conditioned to over the last 50 years of neoliberalism.  No man is an island and all that.

Ack...if the news is too much for you, go on a media fast.  Somehow I have learned to put it all in a little "box" in my head, go outside, and dial it all down to the here and the now.  I love to listen to people.  So many just need to talk.  A friend recently told me that we are all here to connect.  I forget myself...this "connection" is what I live for.  My home, my town...these things are tangible; the newz is an abstraction.  Hmmmm, I suppose another way to deal with it is just practicing being here now by doing a little walking meditation.  May not work for you!

It will get easier once your brain settles down; take a break from the internet if you can.

A speedy recovery to all...

hacilar

Interesting people read a lot.  IMNSHO.

Are you able to read?  Books on CD would work too?

I just realized that was the question...derp.

Carry on--

drugged

I rely on reading to hang on to what little scraps of sanity I might still have.  I've been sticking with fiction lately but thinking to pick up reading an archaeology magazine I get that's published in Mexico.  That's a topic that's interesting, to me anyway, but not stressful.

Onmyway

For almost a year, at the worst of WD, I gave up Facebook where I used to get all my news (still off). I was clueless about major things that were happening in the world. Surprisingly, it didn't impact my relationships. I am a conversationalist as in I love talking to people but you can easily talk about so many other things. I talk about the person across from me. You can have many more interesting conversations that way. I find most people fascinating. You can talk about a book, a movie, about relationships etc., what they find interesting, what they're scared about and then share your own thoughts.

What I'm trying to say is that not listening to the news is not going to make you a dull person. News to me is background noise.

How many of the Trump early day hires do you still remember? I remember people being outraged about many of them.

Now I've started watching the late night shows. They can be fun but they can also make me angry as they focus on the most anger producing issues even if humorously.

So basically, not watching the news is not going to make you a dull person.

bubbles

I'm coming to the conclusion that social media and the news are not good for me just now, and possibly not for the foreseeable future.