DiscJockey: intro

DiscJockey

Hi Everyone!

I have been frequently visiting this site for a couple of months now, and I finally have some downtime to make a formal introduction.

I am also a group member of the facebook group "Paxil Withdrawal." I frequent there as well to read on other stories and advice. Although I do not like to scroll on my phone on social media a lot, it often causes me to have a wave. I started on Zoloft 50mg in 2012. I went to my primary physician and told them I was feeling low and down in the dumps. They referred me to see a psychiatrist, that psychiatrist prescribed me Zoloft, and Voila, I get sucked in to the whole mess. At the time, looking at it now, it was situational depression. I was living with my parents, who were always fighting about money problems, and anything and everything. We got kicked out a house we were living in. Growing up I was neglected. I grew up pretty fast, not really knowing what parental love was. They were there for me financially all the time, but emotionally not so much. Till this day they would not really know of any changes in my life unless I told them. They would never ask. I had gotten into a bad car accident a couple of months prior, and needed help financially and emotionally. But neither of them would of given it since they were always fighting. What I probably needed was a therapist, somebody to talk to other than my close friends. But the pill was offered first, and I took it. So from 2012 to 2013, Zoloft was working well for me. I had a different relationship with my parents that got better, I exercised a lot, and got healthy and lean. So the situation I was in was really good along with the medication. Every time I went to visit my psychiatrist for a check up, it was real short, and I was told to stay on the Zoloft, and that was that. In 2014 I started Law School. Stress went up a lot, since I was working full time and going to school at night. Dr upped my Zoloft to 100mg. After 1 year of law school and working at the same time, I decided I did not want to do law school anymore. Felt like it was not for me and too much stress since I did not have anyone supporting me at home (my parents). I quit, but quitting meant that I would have to pay that 1 year loan back, so that added some financial stress. Around 2015, I had a panic attack after going to the gym and going to work. What I thought then was that the Zoloft stopped working. My Dr. told it probably pooped out. So we switched to Lexapro, it worked for a couple of months, then it stopped, switched to Prozac, that cause real bad start up effects. Dr. then tried to augment with an anti psychotic. That made me be in a different state of conscious. So that did not work for me. We eventually went back on the Zoloft at a high dose 200mg. Worked kind of, but all the horrible side effects made me depressed, weight gain, sexual dysfunction, etc. In 2019 we switched to Lexapro, it worked for a couple of months, but it stopped, now I am on Paxil. We started on 60mg of Paxil. But those horrible side effects still persisted. My new Psychiatrist wanted to augment with other meds, but for some divine reason I knew that no matter what medication or combination of medication I would be put on, would be a vicious cycle. I decided to taper with the guidance of my Dr. I now have a talk therapist that I started going to for about 2 years now. Therapy has been a huge help and difference. I started tapering back in Dec 2019. I am currently on 45mg of Paxil and just holding there for a while. My last decrease was about 2 weeks ago. Im in this wave pattern right now. Its harsh, but I know it will subside based on all the stories I have read hear and on the FB group. During all those changes in meds years prior I wish I had my therapist to begin with. I think I would of been fine just talking about my problems. During those med changes were also life changing things happening to me, with the added past trauma of neglect, and emotional inept parents. I think most would agree all I needed was someone to talk to professionally. But I am here now to gain insight and knowledge from you all in getting through this taper /withdrawal process. 

I look here everyday during my break at work. I like to see the aspirations, quotes, encouragement, it helps, thank you.

I would like to hear more on why when I work out (HIIT Workout) that I am getting anxious after? I see there is a discussion on that, which I will look at soon. I use to love pushing my body in workouts, but now I am too scared because I might panic during a workout, even though I know its just my nervous system healing in the process. One of the main reason why I decided to start withdrawing is the weight gain. I eat clean, workout regularly, but seem to stay looking like a blimp. In the beginning I did lose weight, but I assume that was because I was on a low dose, and the medication has not really effect my nervous system yet. Whatever the scientific reason, I decided enough.

Hope to hear more from the group and learn on this journey. It's tough right now because of this wave I am in, but I hold hope for myself and all of us. I really want to kick this thing in the ass and get on with my life!

Jan 2012 started 50mg Zoloft for mild depression.        2014 increased Zoloft to 100mg 

2015 poop out of Zoloft. Started  Lexapro. Bad start effects, only a month on it. Then onto Effexor a month, bad start up effects. Then Prozac, had bad start up effects (serotonin syndrome).  Added anti-psychotic Risperadal, too strong, drooling from the mouth. 

2016 on different SSRIs, do not remember, on Effexor for about 1 month, quit cold turkey 2017. Lasted 2 months.

April 2017 back on Zoloft 200mg.    May 2019 switched to Lexapro 30mg.   Oct 2019 switched to Paxil 40mg

September 2020 on Lexapro 20mg and Paxil 9mg. 

December 2020 Lexapro 20mg  Paxil 8.82 (Tapering Paxil first by 2% drops every 4-6 weeks or until I feel stable to decrease)

Jan 2021 Lexapro 20mg Paxil 8.6mg

Mar 2021 Lexapro 18mg Paxil 8.8mg

May 2021 Prozac Bridge Attempt.

June 2021 Successfully eliminated Lexapro. Currently holding @ 8mg Prozac & 8.82mg Paxil. Waiting to adjust, and stabilize, then will proceed to cut Paxil.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, DiscJockey.

I need a little more information please.

1. What was your dose of Paxil before you started tapering last December?

2. At what rate are you tapering?

3.  You said you were in a wave.  What are your symptoms and when did they begin?

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks. This link explains why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This link is specifically about tapering Paxil, including how to get the non-standard doses you'll need for a 10% taper.

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

If you are tapering faster than this, likely the wave you're experiencing is due to tapering too fast.  I would definitely hold where you are at 45mg until we have more information.  

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Regarding your exercise, strenuous exercise is very commonly too activating for people in antidepressant withdrawal.  Activities (and foods and supplements) that are very healthy and helpful to the "undrugged" are too much for us.  We recommend a gentle 30-minute walk in nature if strenuous exercise is causing symptoms.  Admittedly, not much help with weight gain, bit healing your brain is the first priority now.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Good morning Gridley,

I was on 60mg Paxil in December 2019.

I am going very slowly and doing small cuts.

My last cut was at the beginning of this month.

This morning I feel fine. My body and mind feels like it is between a window and wave (if that makes sense).

I am currently taking Magnesium and Fish Oil every morning. 

Jan 2012 started 50mg Zoloft for mild depression.        2014 increased Zoloft to 100mg 

2015 poop out of Zoloft. Started  Lexapro. Bad start effects, only a month on it. Then onto Effexor a month, bad start up effects. Then Prozac, had bad start up effects (serotonin syndrome).  Added anti-psychotic Risperadal, too strong, drooling from the mouth. 

2016 on different SSRIs, do not remember, on Effexor for about 1 month, quit cold turkey 2017. Lasted 2 months.

April 2017 back on Zoloft 200mg.    May 2019 switched to Lexapro 30mg.   Oct 2019 switched to Paxil 40mg

December 2020 Lexapro 20mg  Paxil 8.82 (Tapering Paxil first by 2% drops every 4-6 weeks or until I feel stable to decrease)

June 2021 Successfully eliminated Lexapro. Currently holding @ 8mg Prozac & 8.82mg Paxil. Waiting to adjust, and stabilize, then will proceed to cut Paxil.

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, DiscJockey said:

I am going very slowly and doing small cuts.

What you're doing sounds fine.  Just keep the decrease to 10% of current dose and hold for four weeks before the next drop.

That's great you're taking the magnesium and omegas. I'm glad you had a good morning.  Ups and downs are normal.

Please keep us updated how you're doing and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Will do, and Thank You!

• Mentor

Hey, Welcome ! 

I to was on Paxil. This stuff messes with ya that's for sure. I had to do a 180 on my nutrition to finally get off of this medication after over 11 years on it. It is amazing the healing the body can do ! The slower the better. I was a fast taper after taking the advice of my psych. 

Everyday that passes is one day closer to being healed :)

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

Hi Cocpuffz17, Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. And yes, slow is the only way to go.  

• ChessieCat changed the title to DiscJockey: Intro
  • 5 months later...

Hi everyone who will read this,  I am currently on 20mg Lexapro and 10mg Paxil. This last July I went into a horrible tailspin/withdrawal. I had to file for state (CA) disability and was off work. I am now back though to full duty at work. My doctor at the time who I found out was just a nurse practitioner and myself agreed to try liquid Paxil. At that time in July I had successfully tapered and got down to 15mg Paxil in pill form. When we switched over to liquid all hell broke loose. Bad withdrawals and all horrible symptoms arose. I think the liquid version just did not go well with my body.  And what also happened is that I was trying to tough it out on the liquid version, but then the Kaiser pharmacy would contact me and say they were sold out. I would then drive an hour away to another pharmacy to get only half supply. The nurse practitioner switched me back to tablet. There were so much switching from tablet to liquid and then back to tablet. Which in the end really fried my CNS I believe. 

So I switched doctors and got an actual psychiatrist in August who is onboard with tapering and has knowledge of it. I decided never again Ill try liquid and just stick to tablet which what I was doing in the first place and was successful. 

So my new doctor (actual psychiatrist) decided to help me get off of Paxil by bridging slowly to Lexapro. We were able to get started on lexapro and got up to 20mg, but could not completely get off the paxil. I told her that I would like to stay here and hold at 20mg Lexapro and 10mg Paxil since I am feeling a bit more stable. We were cutting the paxil, but I could feel how potent and strong it was, that the withdrawals would creep up. 

So my question now is.... Which should I taper first? The lexapro or paxil? I have my digital weigh scale and nail file for shaving. I am frightened because of the last mishap and do not want to feel that again. That was about 2 months of trying to recover. In the past I had bad withdrawals, poop out, med switch, but this last one was the worst and so scary.  Felt upset as well because now I had to go up in dose and now taking 2 ssris. I feel if I would of stayed on the tablet, everything would be ok. But you live and learn. 

I am looking through the site for any similar stories but cant seem to find any. Any advice, link, or someone that is in something similar as me would be greatly appreciated. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to DiscJockey: intro
  • Moderator Emeritus

Please create your drug signature following these instructions:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature
Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

I will ask the other mods for their assistance.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Administrator

Hello, DJ.

If I were you, I'd plan to sneak off the Paxil. You might want to try micro-tapering

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
29 minutes ago, DiscJockey said:

I have my digital weigh scale and nail file for shaving.

It might be better to use a single sided razor blade.

did-i-go-wrong-with-my-nailfile-shaving-or-filing-a-tablet

using-a-digital-scale-to-measure-doses

5 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

It might be better to use a single sided razor blade.

did-i-go-wrong-with-my-nailfile-shaving-or-filing-a-tablet

using-a-digital-scale-to-measure-doses

Hi ChessieCat, Signature and med history added. I was using a razor to cut a pill. But if you want to only take a really small bit off a pill will the nail file still suffice. I do have a digital scale that I use. And I also got the excel spreadsheet that someone shared on here that calculates all the weight, percentage, and doses. So basically I weigh a 10mg pill and input that in the spreadsheet then it auto calculates what the weight should be if I wanted to taper 5% or 10%. So then I shave off the pill little by little until I get the correct weight. 

5 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, DJ.

If I were you, I'd plan to sneak off the Paxil. You might want to try micro-tapering

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

Ok got it. So in a sense when picking between the 2 evils I am currently taking, it is wise to get rid of the worst one (paxil) first?  

• Administrator

The reason you're taking Lexapro is to bridge off Paxil, correct? This would require you to reduce Paxil.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! Today I decreased my Paxil 10%. So I was on 9mg from 9/20/20 to now. And I decreased to 8.1mg today. I already started feeling a bit more anxious later in the day. I am tripping myself up I think. I am not sure if this is withdrawal normal or too much of a drop. I hate it. I just recently went through hell with a bunch of switching around. I finally felt stable after that hell (healthy eating, exercising, good sleep, normal living) Today was only day one of the decrease. But I already feel the change.

What should I do? Stay on this 8.1mg decrease? Wait it out a few days? I have tablets, pill cutter, nail file, and used a digital mg scale. So my dose and weight is accurate. 

If things do not let up, go back to the 9mg? Wait a bit, then do smaller cuts? Smaller than 10%? Maybe 5%? I know that my body is really sensitive to med changes and that Paxil from 10mg and below is hard to get off of. Let me know when you can, thank you. 

Edited by ChessieCat
increased font size

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, DiscJockey said:

Today I decreased my Paxil 10%. So I was on 9mg from 9/20/20 to now. And I decreased to 8.1mg today.

September 2020 on Lexapro (20mg) and Paxil (10mg). Stable now, will start slow taper soon.

Please delete what is struck out and also update with the changes you have made sing Sept 2020.

On 10/18/2020 at 9:31 AM, Altostrata said:

The reason you're taking Lexapro is to bridge off Paxil, correct? This would require you to reduce Paxil.

You didn't answer Alto's question.

On 10/17/2020 at 3:31 PM, Altostrata said:

Yes to Altostrata. The reason I am on Lexapro is to bridge of the Paxil. 

7 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

September 2020 on Lexapro (20mg) and Paxil (10mg). Stable now, will start slow taper soon.

Please delete what is struck out and also update with the changes you have made sing Sept 2020.

You didn't answer Alto's question.

ChessieCat.... Done! 

• Administrator

What does this new anxiety feel like? Does it happen at any particular time of day?

What is your current daily drug schedule (times o'clock), with dosages?

I took the decreased dose (8.1mg) yesterday around 11:30am. Then by 4pmish I started having anxiety all over my body (slight burning sensation on my back, restless legs), and started to feel really depersonalized. I still have that feeling this morning. I remember this feeling, a couple of months ago the doc who I found out that was a nurse practitioner only was switching me back and forth on liquid to tablet to liquid. Put me in a bad tailspin. Took about 2 months to get stable, and was out one medical disability from work. 

I always take my dose daily between 1130am to 12pm. I was on 20mg Lexapro and 9mg Paxil. Doing great on it, feeling stable and living life. Just made the 10% decrease yesterday. 

I was thinking of just going back to 9mg, wait until I feel better, then do a much lower decrease, like %5 or less on the Paxil.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you decide to updose you could try a lesser amount, eg up to 8.5mg, instead of going all the way back up to 9mg.

thank you ChessieCat. I did take my dose already for today at 9mg. I think I will await for the holiday/year to be over then start again. It's scary that just a decrease of 10% can do that to me and a lot of people. When I did take the 9mg earlier today, it was not an immediate relief, but just a tad bit better. I just went ahead and took all my necessary vitamins and continued with my clean/paleo meal intake. 

About how many days to feel fully normal again? I just did the decrease yesterday, and today went back to 9mg.

• Administrator

Those are Paxil withdrawal symptoms. It's possible they may go away in a few days. If not, you may wish to updose to 8.5mg Paxil, even a little bit may make a big difference.

It could be you will need to reduce by only 5% per step. It may be possible that you can do this every 2 weeks, but you need to see what your tolerance is first.

• Moderator Emeritus

It takes about 4 days for a dose to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  If you've only had one day at the lower dose then things should (hopefully - no guarantees) improve fairly soon.  When members miss a dose completely it might cause an uptick in symptoms for about a week.  Yours was a small reduction so it would be expected that it wouldn't cause too much of an issue for too long.

You might consider doing a gentler taper:  Brass Monkey Slide

BrassMonkey created this method and successfully got off Paxil.  This method allows you to hold for longer if you aren't feeling

WDnormal

10 minutes ago, DiscJockey said:

It's scary that just a decrease of 10% can do that to me and a lot of people.

I needed to reduce my dose quickly due to mild serotonin syndrome (too high a dose of Pristiq).  I originally reduced from 100mg to 50mg then updosed to 75mg (after finding SA) and 2 months later I made a 10% reduction to 67.5mg.  I started getting head pressure and pain in my ears (I tried a cold medicine but it made no difference) so after a couple a days of this I updosed to 70mg and the pain and pressure disappeared after about 4 hours.  Another time when I reduced I had a similar thing happen but it wasn't as bad and I could live with it so I didn't updose and as I held it cleared.

• 2 weeks later...

Back on 11/22/20 I did a 10% drop and felt the wds that same day. So I up dosed the next day and started to feel better the next 2 weeks. So yesterday 12/6/20 I decreased my Paxil by 2%. (Going to use the Brassmonkey Method) This morning I woke up early with slight impending doom feeling and anxiety. I was still able to get up and get to work. Right now I do feel depersonalize and a bit on edge. I know it is only the day after, and this could be WD normal.

Questions.....😕

Should I just ride this out for a few days more? If the symptoms persist and get more severe, updose back to 9mg? 

Was is it too soon for me to start tapering/decreasing after that 10% drop and recovery? Should I have waited a bit longer? 

I honestly felt good and ready to start tapering again, and wanted to do so, but maybe too soon? 

I also did have a terrible WD experience over the summer and was on medical disability from work. So maybe I am still healing from that? I am not sure.

I do have a video appt today with my psychiatrist to talk more on our tapering plan. Over the TDay holiday I was prescribed liquid Prozac to take instead of the 20mg Lexapro I am now taking. I have not taken the liquid Prozac yet. I did tell her that twice in the past that a doctor would prescribe me Prozac and every time I took it, I would get bad startup symptoms, extreme anxiety, burning sensation, serotonin syndrome basically. I told my current Psychiatrist that both those times I was instructed to take either 10mg or 20mg right away along with the current SSRI I was already taking. There was no small dose to start with and no gradual progression. So now, I got prescribed the liquid form and was instructed to take 5mg to start with and to completely stop taking the Lexapro.

My current doc mentioned that Prozac has a longer half life which I already know from this site. I also told her that I was prescribed Lexapro last year, which helped and stabilized me. It only worked for about 3 months, then my doc at the time prescribed me Paxil. So based on the Lexapro failing in the past, my current doc decided to try the Liquid Prozac at a low dose (5mg). And the purpose is to help get me off the Paxil and to make it easier. I told her I was really nervous that she decided to put me on Lexapro back in August to help with the Paxil wds even though I had already taken it in the past and it only working for a few months only. I made the terrible mistake of agreeing with her then. She said even though it stopped working in the past does not mean it will do the same in the present. I really regret my choice now, but at the time (summer time) I was desperate for relief after being in severe wds for months and being out of work. 

More questions..... 😕

Should I start taking the liquid Prozac (5mg) instead of the Lexapro (20mg)?

Would taking it a low dose (5mg) make a difference? Will I most likely get those start up effects again like in the past?

Even when I got those awful start up effects at a high dose (10mg & 20mg), would I get them at 5mg? So it would not matter.

I am currently worried, I just want to have a smooth and manageable taper from here on out. Even though I just did the 2% Paxil drop yesterday, I feel like my world is going to start falling apart again. I understand it is 10mg and below that is tough, but now I am thinking what if the Lexapro is not working like in the past? Should I go with what my doc said and start the Prozac? But what about the last 2 times I took it and felt like dying? Am I going to go into another tailspin?

During a paxil taper there frequently is a rough patch trying to get below 10mg. Once past that transition (often around 8mg) things start to stabilize and taper smoothly for a while. I would continue to listen to my body and taper the paxil slowly in small decreases.

Throwing the Lexapro on top of the paxil is just confusing things.  As you said you can't tell which is causing what. Trying to switch to prozac will take a cross taper that will take several months, and will still leave you on two medications (paxil and prozac) that need to be tapered. You shouldn't taper the paxil while making the crossover from lexapro to prozac. Also being on three serotonergic drugs will increase your chances of contracting serotonin syndrome, which you don't want.

I would be tempted to hold on the paxil, fast taper the lexapro (you've only been on it a short time). Then stabilize for several weeks/months before considering a crossover to prozac to replace the paxil and taper from there.

A daily symptom log would be very helpful, if you would please post us your notes on how you react throughout the day.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thank you brassmonkey or Tom! 

10 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

I would be tempted to hold on the paxil, fast taper the lexapro (you've only been on it a short time). Then stabilize for several weeks/months before considering a crossover to prozac to replace the paxil and taper from there.

A daily symptom log would be very helpful, if you would please post us your notes on how you react throughout the day.

So should I go back to my stable dose of Paxil (9mg), wait a couple weeks, then taper the Lexapro first instead? Using your method for the Lexapro taper of course. I am willing to go slow, a fast taper sounds enticing, but I want to be careful. 

Originally my doctor put me on Lexapro back in the summer to help with the Paxil. The plan was that I would be able to get rid of the Paxil quick and just be on Lexapro. So far that plan is not working. I just want to make sure I am firm with my doctor when I have that video appt later today. I am thinking now that we should do the opposite and save the 9mg Paxil taper for last. Then see if I can taper from there. If not, like you said, just wait several weeks/months before doing a crossover.

So before any type of crossover, I should just focus on tapering the Lexapro first?

Then save the Paxil 9mg for last, wait a couple weeks/months, then possibly do a crossover if the Paxil withdrawal is too much.

I know you will probably say you are not a medical doctor and that you can't give medical advice, but your advice seems hopeful. Most doctors I deal with want to put more types of pills down my throat.

I will be putting my symptoms here for sure!

Thanks Again!  

• Moderator Emeritus
33 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

This post shows an example of what is required:

Keep Notes on Paper

So here is my symptoms for today thus far. Yesterday 12/6/20 11:30AM  I took my 20mg Lexapro and decreased (2%) dose of Paxil. I went from 9.0mg to 8.82

12/7/20

4:30AM woke up early. Slight anxiety and impending doom feeling.

Laid down and tried to go back to sleep. Just kept tossing and turning. Slight anxiety and doom feeling stayed.

7:00AM/8:00AM Went to work, while driving felt depersonalize, spacey head feeling, slight tingling on my legs and feet.

11:30AM took my Lexapro dose and Paxil dose 8.82mg

12:00PM felt some relief after taking dose. Still feel spacey in the head. Slight anxiety. 

2:00PM ate lunch. 

Will edit/add more later.......

MOD NOTE:  Member has been informed that post cannot be edited and asked to post full day.

Edited by ChessieCat
added mod note

• Moderator Emeritus

You cannot edit your post after a certain amount of time.

Please post a 24 hour period in one go.

For 12.7.2020 please post a complete day so that it is in one post.  I've "struck through" the part day in your post and added a note at the bottom that you will post a full day in a new post.  Thank you.

Edited by ChessieCat

I'm going to have to talk with the other mods for a minute. I got the impression you had only been on the Lexapro for a few weeks which would make the fast taper possible, but having been on it for several months now is a different story. Please don't change the paxil dose yet, stay right where you are.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

No worries Brassmonkey. 

Just an update... I had a good video appt with my psychiatrist.

First recommendation she gave was to see if I can hold at the 2% decrease of Paxil I just made. She said try to wait it out for a week tops, if symptoms persist and are too severe, then up dose back to 9mg Paxil, stabilize on that. If symptoms subside and I feel better, then best to just taper the Paxil first even if it is slow. Then lastly taper the Lexapro after I get off the Paxil.

Second, she is on board to taper the Lexapro first, then the Paxil. But not to start anything until after our next video appt which is Jan 4th. The appt will be for her to know how I am doing with the 2% decrease, if I needed to up dose, or if I was able to stabilize. She is on board to taper the Lexapro first and see if we need to do a Prozac switch at the end if the Paxil withdrawal/taper is too much. 

If we do a Prozac bridge, she would start on a very low dose since she is aware of the bad start up effects I had in the past with starting at either 10mg or 20mg Prozac. 

So that is what she says so far and to wait till our next video appt and to enjoy the holiday and don't make any drastic changes.

I will await on you Brassmonkey and others to see what you have to say, but in the meantime I will try to keep my mind off things.

• Administrator
On 12/7/2020 at 11:09 AM, DiscJockey said:

So yesterday 12/6/20 I decreased my Paxil by 2%. (Going to use the Brassmonkey Method) This morning I woke up early with slight impending doom feeling and anxiety. I was still able to get up and get to work. Right now I do feel depersonalize and a bit on edge.

These are very slight symptoms. They are likely to go away, as your doctor said. Suggest you track your symptoms for the next week.

19 hours ago, DiscJockey said:

Second, she is on board to taper the Lexapro first, then the Paxil.

I'm very confused by your plan. You added Lexapro to go off Paxil. To go off Paxil, you would have to decrease Paxil.

Prozac has a longer half-life than Lexapro, but there is no guarantee that substituting Prozac would make it easier for you to go off Paxil.

My guess is you will be able to go off Paxil with decreases of 2% every month or maybe even every 2 weeks, with perhaps a few days of symptoms after a dosage decrease.

25 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

I'm very confused by your plan. You added Lexapro to go off Paxil. To go off Paxil, you would have to decrease Paxil.

Prozac has a longer half-life than Lexapro, but there is no guarantee that substituting Prozac would make it easier for you to go off Paxil.

My guess is you will be able to go off Paxil with decreases of 2% every month or maybe even every 2 weeks, with perhaps a few days of symptoms after a dosage decrease.

Yes originally that was the plan, to get off the paxil quickly and just be on the Lexapro, stabilize on the Lexapro, then just taper the Lexapro. But since I am on 9mg of Paxil and since the last 10mg is the hardest to get off, the quick way plan is not doable now. I have been on Paxil for about a year now. I'm deep in and those withdrawals are always going to be there. My Doctor thought it was doable and quick, but not anymore.

Now that I think about it, since I am on 2 SRRIs, I am basically going to have to go through the hell 2 times of getting off 2 SSRIs in the below 10mg part. Im trying not to think about it, but it's painful!

😕

• Administrator

As you've described them, your one day of Paxil withdrawal symptoms were very mild. Why are you giving up on tapering Paxil?