SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

DiscJockey: intro

DiscJockey

5 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Your goal is to get off Paxil. Lowering the Paxil would reduce the total amount of serotonergic. Are you willing to try a reduction of Paxil to 8mg?

Would 8.1mg Paxil be ok to drop to? I ask because I have quite a few pre shaved tablets that are 8.1mg already from a few months ago when I was tapering Paxil and Lexapro.

Or 

I know this sounds counterintuitive, but bump up to the Paxil 10mg? So I would be taking a total of 18mg. Get rid of the Prozac all together. I really hate to do it, because the whole point of this is to get off the Paxil. I am currently terrified to add Prozac again because of what I went through today. Stable on this, at least ill be on 1 drug, the worst drug of them all, but it will be one, then slow taper months later. Or does the Paxil have to be higher?

Or

Maybe I could try the drop in Paxil to 8.1mg and keep the Prozac 5mg, see how I do the next few days, report here of all symptoms. If I am still having trouble especially right after taking Prozac, just increase the Paxil and get rid of the Prozac all together. But would this be too much to do and then a quick change?

I really do not know at this point, I just want to feel sane and safe. I wish the consultation with the recommended dr was sooner. So thank you for bearing with me. 

Its just part of me felt that I should have stopped this bridge in the beginning. I was already having those horrible symptoms but decided to push through it and also thought it was part Lexapro wd. 

Sorry I do not know what to do, I am really exhausted. Plus since I am always alone, my kaiser doctors are offering if I would like to attend an in house residential treatment program for 2 weeks. Im still thinking on that as well. 

Let me know what you think, I am really just trying to get to a harm free stable state at the moment. Part of me feels that no matter what dose or how low of a dose the Prozac is, I am going to feel awful.

Jan 2012 started 50mg Zoloft for mild depression.        2014 increased Zoloft to 100mg 

2015 poop out of Zoloft. Started  Lexapro. Bad start effects, only a month on it. Then onto Effexor a month, bad start up effects. Then Prozac, had bad start up effects (serotonin syndrome).  Added anti-psychotic Risperadal, too strong, drooling from the mouth. 

2016 on different SSRIs, do not remember, on Effexor for about 1 month, quit cold turkey 2017. Lasted 2 months.

April 2017 back on Zoloft 200mg.    May 2019 switched to Lexapro 30mg.   Oct 2019 switched to Paxil 40mg

September 2020 on Lexapro 20mg and Paxil 9mg. 

December 2020 Lexapro 20mg  Paxil 8.82 (Tapering Paxil first by 2% drops every 4-6 weeks or until I feel stable to decrease)

Jan 2021 Lexapro 20mg Paxil 8.6mg

Mar 2021 Lexapro 18mg Paxil 8.8mg

May 2021 Prozac Bridge Attempt.

June 2021 Successfully eliminated Lexapro. Currently holding @ 8mg Prozac & 8.82mg Paxil. Waiting to adjust, and stabilize, then will proceed to cut Paxil.

22 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

You could also be getting withdrawal from dropping Lexapro sometime in June, but you didn't post during that period, until mid-July, when you said Prozac compensated somewhat.

Yeah I should of posted, but I was in this head space of just starting the bridge and not to think of the sensations while they are happening. Just move forward and keep going mentality. I did not want to trip myself up and scare me out of the process. Plus my out of pocket Dr. was motivating me to keep going and not to stay on the 3 ssris at once. 

Jan 2012 started 50mg Zoloft for mild depression.        2014 increased Zoloft to 100mg 

2015 poop out of Zoloft. Started  Lexapro. Bad start effects, only a month on it. Then onto Effexor a month, bad start up effects. Then Prozac, had bad start up effects (serotonin syndrome).  Added anti-psychotic Risperadal, too strong, drooling from the mouth. 

2016 on different SSRIs, do not remember, on Effexor for about 1 month, quit cold turkey 2017. Lasted 2 months.

April 2017 back on Zoloft 200mg.    May 2019 switched to Lexapro 30mg.   Oct 2019 switched to Paxil 40mg

December 2020 Lexapro 20mg  Paxil 8.82 (Tapering Paxil first by 2% drops every 4-6 weeks or until I feel stable to decrease)

June 2021 Successfully eliminated Lexapro. Currently holding @ 8mg Prozac & 8.82mg Paxil. Waiting to adjust, and stabilize, then will proceed to cut Paxil.

Wed 7/28/21 Symptoms

6am, wide awake feeling, only got 4 hours sleep, mind racing, sweating profusely.

6am to 9pm stayed in bed tossing turning trying to fall back asleep.

11am Prozac

1130am Felt sick, nauseas, whole body stiff, mind and body was high alert and racing. Felt like brain was shaking. No appetite. sweating. body felt hot all the time. terror, anxious, mind was constantly racing.

1pm took Paxil

2pm tried to eat, but felt real sick, every bite and swallow felt like throwing up. 

2pm to 5pm was bed bound, could not fall asleep.

5pm fell asleep for about 20min, but woke up feeling more sick, can feel heart beat all over my body

6pm to 7pm drank water periodically, but would urinate right away.

9pm had some food, but was hard to eat feeling sick.

11pm took half a Benadryl

12am fell asleep

So @AltostrataI woke up a bit better this morning, but am fearful because I do not know what to do.

The time to take my Prozac is coming up. I really do not want to take. I have this terrified feeling thinking of taking it, but yet I do not want to just stop taking it, because then I will get those withdrawals since I have been taking it for a while now. Yesterday was the worse I felt, and I do not want to go back to that. 

Let me know what you think of the whole just adding back Paxil to be on one drug. Do you think that is safest and reasonable? If so, at what dose should I add? 5mg or 10mg? 

I know the goal was to get off the Paxil, but my body has been through enough trying to stabilize on Prozac. 

• Mentor

@DiscJockey  Hi, I wanted to stop by just to let you know you are not alone and I do hear your pain.  I really wish I could give you sound advice with your meds, but I am also trying to stabilize myself and go through the same questions and panic when I am really struggling.  The one thing I have tried to do is follow the recommendations of the mods here.  It was very, very hard to do.  It is human nature to want to stop the pain anyway we can and fast.  The the last 2months or so when they told me to stop anymore changes and stabilize it was horrific.  How I made it through though the last few months is by the grace of God.  I really leaned on a few members.  They have been another life line for me . I have seen the strongest signs of stabilization just in the last few days. Have you connected with anyone on the site?

If you do decide to go with Altostrata's recommendations you  have to commit, dig down deep and commit.  That doesn't mean that she will not adjust the recommendation farther down the road if you have given it enough time to see if it is working.  

It is painful and scary.  Your pain is real. Panic is a hard cycle to get out of but you will have to find away to get even a small amount of control back.  I strongly recommend you reach out to kenA or any of the success story members.  A lot of them are waiting to help in anyway they can.  This would be a small steps to get some encouragement and empower you to take back control.  They will have some very good advice, meditation, acceptance, things that worked for them to get through there rough and scary times.  Believe me we all have some pretty dark and horrific thoughts, fears and pain on this journey.

You are stronger than you think, you have already shown that by getting through each day.

Your mantra for the day....."I made it through yesterday, I can make it through today and I will let tomorrow worry about tomorrow"

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

Thank you so much @Grateful, I am just awaiting for their response. I am holding on for dear life. There have a been a few people I have reached out on here, but they only check this site every now and then, and they are like me, in hell trying to adjust. 

Luckily today I get to hang out with my best friend. Hanging out helps. I live alone and I am always by myself. I go to my parents in the evenings.

I will reach out to some more members and ask for motivation and guidance. I feel so lonely and in hell at the moment. I do know this shall pass. I have been through withdrawal hell several times already. I have certain people I message on facebook from the wd groups there. They help a lot knowing I am not alone and this will pass. 

Thank you so much for reaching out, it means a lot. 

• Administrator
15 hours ago, DiscJockey said:

Would 8.1mg Paxil be ok to drop to?

Yes

15 hours ago, DiscJockey said:

Maybe I could try the drop in Paxil to 8.1mg and keep the Prozac 5mg, see how I do the next few days

Yes

This bridge may yet work. The problem is your doctor started you at too high a dose of Prozac.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Altostrata, oh my goodness!!! Sorry I just am now able to respond. I was trying to see what I should do last night by waiting for your response, but I understand you guys do not work 24/7 and it was already late into the night. 

Today I did not take the usual Prozac dose, I only took 8.82mg Paxil at 1pm. I was too scared and was still awaiting for your response. I made plans to help a friend today, plans I committed to weeks ago. So I did not want to take the Prozac, get ill, have to cancel last minute, or not be able to fully function and have my friend help me with being sick.

Since I know it is bad to skip doses and all, is it safe to go back to what you are recommending me to do tomorrow?

Take 5mg Prozac @ 11am, then the reduced Paxil tablet of 8.1mg? Please let me know.

5 hours ago, Altostrata said:

This bridge may yet work. The problem is your doctor started you at too high a dose of Prozac.

So if I do start tomorrow, how long should I put up with the horrible symptoms? I know it takes time for a dose change to take effect. But if you read my daily symptom log for Wed 7/28/21, I do not want to go through that for days. I don't mean to be a wimp, but yesterday's symptoms almost drove me to admit myself to the hospital, but luckily I did not.

It may work, yes, I really hope it does, but is there a time table of when we go "ok, stop taking the prozac, its causing this this and this, let's back off" or possibly the Prozac is just not agreeing with my body no matter what dose I take. 

Sorry again if any frustration will come of this especially for not taking the Prozac today.

I partly feel good today that I did not take the Prozac. I was not as ill as yesterday, but I know stopping it will bite me in the butt when the withdrawals hit.

Thank you again for the advice, let me know if it is ok to start back up tomorrow again.

Or should I take the 5mg Prozac tonight?

Oh and I also ask about the time framing of things because I have something planned in the third week of August. I know with these changes it is time and patience, and we cannot really know when one will be stable or not.

I am taking a road trip with my family and we are driving to Las Vegas. We have family out there. We did not get to see them last year due to the pandemic. 

So I am hoping that I can be somewhat stable by then, at least stable enough to function.  

So as far as continuing the prozac bridge, I do not want to be stuck doing it if it turns out its not going to work.

• Administrator

I can't predict what will happen. Your doctor left you in a pickle.

Perhaps you should just take the Paxil, since you feel safe with that, and let your new doctor decide what to do next.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Sorry your having such a rough go of it.

Did the bad symptoms still come today an hour after you usually take the Prozac?

Reading through the last few pages it seems like you may be having a bad reaction to the Prozac on top of the Lexapro WD.

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs 8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/31/21: 0.20mgs, 1/03/22: 0.18mgs, 3/5/22: 0.16mgs, 5/5/22: 0.14mgs.

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Perhaps you should just take the Paxil, since you feel safe with that, and let your new doctor decide what to do next.

I was thinking of just doing this, yes. But.... big but..... when those prozac withdrawals come around. Should I then just up dose the paxil? I am currently taking 8.82mg. Should I up to 5mg more, 10mg more?

Sorry. That new Dr. I will not see till 8/17/21. I did leave a detailed voicemail though and asked if they can call me real quick to inform me of what I should do. Not sure if they will get back to me in time. 

I sort of feel withdrawals now, but not sure if that is the Lexapro withdrawal, Prozac still in my system. Not sure. 

• Administrator

I cannot tell you what you should do. So far, all the time I've put into trying to understand your drug changes has been wasted. I can't keep up with your drug changes. You seem to have a powerful desire to increase Paxil. I think it's best if I bow out.

10 minutes ago, Colonial said:

Sorry your having such a rough go of it.

Did the bad symptoms still come today an hour after you usually take the Prozac?

Reading through the last few pages it seems like you may be having a bad reaction to the Prozac on top of the Lexapro WD.

Hi @Colonial! Yes I am having a terrible time, but I know it will pass, just trying to find a way to help it pass. 

So today I did not take any Prozac. I was awaiting what I should do next, but it was already late last night. Plus I made plans with a good friend weeks ago, so I did not want to take it and then have to flake on them, or have them take care of me if I get too sick.

So today all I took was my 8.82mg Paxil. 

First thing in the morning I woke up feeling anxious, restless legs, like withdrawals still from the Lexapro a while back. But, I was not feeling deathly ill like yesterday from taking Prozac. My symptoms below from yesterday after taking the Prozac, then after taking Paxil.

13 hours ago, DiscJockey said:

Wed 7/28/21 Symptoms

6am, wide awake feeling, only got 4 hours sleep, mind racing, sweating profusely.

6am to 9pm stayed in bed tossing turning trying to fall back asleep.

11am Prozac

1130am Felt sick, nauseas, whole body stiff, mind and body was high alert and racing. Felt like brain was shaking. No appetite. sweating. body felt hot all the time. terror, anxious, mind was constantly racing.

1pm took Paxil

2pm tried to eat, but felt real sick, every bite and swallow felt like throwing up. 

2pm to 5pm was bed bound, could not fall asleep.

5pm fell asleep for about 20min, but woke up feeling more sick, can feel heart beat all over my body

6pm to 7pm drank water periodically, but would urinate right away.

9pm had some food, but was hard to eat feeling sick.

11pm took half a Benadryl

12am fell asleep

So based on yesterday's debacle I decided not to take the Prozac. 

During the day my mind felt lighter and clearer. But periodically I would get this terrible doom feeling and some suicidal ideation. Some anxiety, can hear my heart beating, not racing, but just hear it beating through my whole body. I was walking lightly and can feel my body pump, it was strange. But compared to yesterday, this was a lot better.

1 minute ago, Altostrata said:

I cannot tell you what you should do. So far, all the time I've put into trying to understand your drug changes has been wasted. I can't keep up with your drug changes. You seem to have a powerful desire to increase Paxil. I think it's best if I bow out.

ok thank you though for the effort, my case is really a mess. Even the doctors think so.

I dont have a powerful desire to increase the Paxil, I am just worried once I stop taking the Prozac all together withdrawals are going to happen for sure, and I do not want to add another ssri. So I thought it would just be safe to stay on one ssri even though I was trying to get off the paxil completely. 

• Administrator

It was unethical of your last psychiatrist to leave you in this state.

4 minutes ago, DiscJockey said:

But compared to yesterday, this was a lot better.

Please try to answer succinctly.

Too much extra detail and it is hard to sort it all out

Was today the 2nd day without prozac or the 1st?

You did not seem as bad when you were on the near full dosages of paxil and lexapro.

This worsening seems to have started since the prozac was added.

I don't think its too much ssri per se as much as a reaction to too much drug changing and a paradoxical reaction to the prozac.

I do NOT think you need MORE Paxil, 8.0 mgs is plenty.

I would work on lowering the prozac, I think that is the greater part of your issue, a lot of withdrawal exacerbated by a reaction to the prozac.

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs 8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/31/21: 0.20mgs, 1/03/22: 0.18mgs, 3/5/22: 0.16mgs, 5/5/22: 0.14mgs.

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

1 minute ago, Colonial said:

Please try to answer succinctly.

Too much extra detail and it is hard to sort it all out

Was today the 2nd day without prozac or the 1st?

You did not seem as bad when you were on the near full dosages of paxil and lexapro.

This worsening seems to have started since the prozac was added.

I don't think its too much ssri per se as much as a reaction to too much drug changing and a paradoxical reaction to the prozac.

I would work on lowering the prozac, I think that is the greater part of your issue, a lot of withdrawal exacerbated by a reaction to the prozac.

Today was the first day without Prozac.

So before I started this bridge with my current out of pocket Dr. decided to add the Prozac and then get rid of the Lexapro first. At the time I was having a hard time stabilizing on the Lexapro. In the past I was Lexapro 2 times already, at the highest dose, stabilize on it, then months later be in withdrawal. 

When we began, I was having symptoms starting the Prozac already (back tingling, mind felt over active) which my doctor told me that it was normal. Then after adding Prozac, I would cut some of the Lexapro out. We did it fast in order for me not to get adjusted to a total of 3 ssris. So in the middle of all this upping Prozac, eliminating Lexapro, I could not really tell what the symptoms were from, start up effects from Prozac, or Lexapro withdrawal. All I did was listened to my doctor, to make sure we get rid of the Lexapro in a timely manner. They said to go slow but not too slow where I would be on 3 ssris.

So we eventually dropped the Lexapro, next was Paxil. I was still having symptoms taking the Prozac, but again thought that could just be Lexapro withdrawal. 

14 minutes ago, Colonial said:

So should I continue taking the Prozac starting tomorrow? Take it at a lower dose? I am currently taking 5mg in liquid form. 

I feel like I should have stopped taking Prozac in the beginning, but did not know any better. 

Could it be that even at a low dose of Prozac I could still have a paradoxical effect? 

Yes, I remember reading the tingling and other issues started with the prozac.

Of course, taking 3 SSRI's at once is highly unusual.

But this has been complicated by working with multiple doctors at the same time, which is fraught with complications waiting to happen.

It's hard to say IF the bridge over to prozac would have worked if you had been walked through it correctly, which would have been a 1 for 1 exchange.  It would have been wise to take you off the lexapro first, and then attempt the bridge from the paxil to prozac since taking 3 drugs at once and changing dosages of 2 of them is very dangerous.

You could try one more day without the prozac, and see if you have a 2nd somewhat better day in a row.

It has a longer half life than others.  If you continue to feel somewhat improved, then on the 3rd day if you are afraid of cold turkeying, you could try restarting a lower amount.

However, I would take it later in the day, talking it so close to the paxil makes it hard to decipher if the symptoms are from one drug or a combination off too much of both, but since the symptoms start as soon as you take the prozac, i think that is the culprit.

Normally a lower percentage drop is wise, but if your issues are a paradoxical reaction, you may try 2.5 of the prozac on saturday and see how it goes.  but I would reinstate it 6 hours after the paxil to see any symptoms.

Taking more paxil or any other drug will not help a paradoxical reaction or withdrawal from the prozac, and making another drug change is the last thing you need.

8 minutes ago, Colonial said:

You could try one more day without the prozac, and see if you have a 2nd somewhat better day in a row.

It has a longer half life than others.  If you continue to feel somewhat improved, then on the 3rd day if you are afraid of cold turkeying, you could try restarting a lower amount.

Ok got it, thank you. I will not take Prozac tomorrow and just take 8.82mg Paxil. I will document here of all symptoms.

12 minutes ago, Colonial said:

However, I would take it later in the day, talking it so close to the paxil makes it hard to decipher if the symptoms are from one drug or a combination off too much of both, but since the symptoms start as soon as you take the prozac, i think that is the culprit.

Normally a lower percentage drop is wise, but if your issues are a paradoxical reaction, you may try 2.5 of the prozac on saturday and see how it goes.  but I would reinstate it 6 hours after the paxil to see any symptoms.

So then this Saturday, I would then take Paxil at 1pm, wait 6 hours and take Prozac?

The Prozac at 2.5mg then? Not the full 5mg I am currently taking? Then I will document here of any symptoms. 

Thank you so much @Colonial, I am hoping this helps and I will document here.

Yes, if your taking the paxil that late in the day, 1pm, then try 6pm.

See if you have any symptoms in the 2 hurs after the paxil and then after the 2.5 prozac at 6pm.

Normally we would not suggest such a rapid time change in the meds but if your already missing 2 days trying the reinstatement 6 hours later than usual is probably worth it to see any symptom change.

In the end, it will be up to you to decide which is worse, the reactions to your body fighting the prozac if its reacting to it or the WD, but if it is a reaction, one has to lower the dose to the extent the reaction is not so bad.  For some that can happen before being completely off of it, for some not until then.

Either way, this is another drug change that will cause some upset, so you have to realize that will occur.

What we are looking for is to see if there is any lessening of the reaction right after the dose, and to what extent you have some relief.   

It just seems at this point, your body has had enough of too many meds with too many dose changes.

See how you do for a few days to a week.

@Colonialthank you will do and keep updating here. 

Just updating symptoms for Thursday 7/29/21

(NO Prozac taken this day, only Paxil)

7am woke up, feel light in my head, no pressure. Still feel somewhat ill from Wed 7/28/21 when I took Prozac and Paxil. Legs felt weak and restless (possible wd from Lexapro still)

Went back to bed but could not fall back asleep, was tossing and turning.

8:30am got up and went for a walk with dogs. Felt very light. Not heavy from yesterday.

While walking I can feel and hear my heartbeat all over my body. It was strange. I also was easily getting out of breath even though I was not running or walking hard.

915am, home. On my laptop sending emails and looking at news feeds. No symptoms.

11am ate some food. Was feeling a bit more anxiety while eating. Slight doom and terrified feeling (not sure if this is Lexapro wd or lingering effects of the Prozac taken the day before)

1pm took Paxil dose 8.82mg.

2pm did errands/plans with friend

3pm to 5pm On and off feeling sad, depressed, anxious, surges of adrenaline, fast rapid thoughts, feeling of foreverness that I am not going to get well (again not sure if this is Lexapro wd or lingering effects of Prozac taken the day before)

530pm ate food, no symptoms. Just the above symptoms still lingering every now and then.

7pm, home, checking email and laptop. Still feel light and clear minded, not ill from Prozac intake from the day before.

9pm made healthy smoothie before bed, no symptoms.

1130 went to bed, no issues falling asleep

So @Colonial, after going to bed last night I awoke around 3am, had to urinate, but also felt wd symptoms. Body slightly burning all over, anxious, restless legs, like also a cortisol spike. I am not sure if this is still Lexapro withdrawal or the lingering effects of taking Prozac. 

I was able to lay back down but my sleep was jumbled up, tossing and turning. I finally was full awake by 8am, and the symptoms above was a bit more intense.

Should I start that recommendation today? To see if the 2.5mg Prozac added 6 hours after taking Paxil has any effect? 

I am just in a terrified state, yesterday I felt alright waking up yesterday (possibly the Prozac still in my system holding off the withdrawals from Lexapro). But today it seems like I am in wd hell.

I am hoping after adding the Prozac at a small dose helps but also hoping it will not cause paradoxical effects. 

Let me know what I should do, thank you in advance. 

You did not report yesterday having the bad episode at the half an hour after you would normally have taken the prozac.

Did you not have it again today at the 11:30 mark?

4 minutes ago, Colonial said:

You did not report yesterday having the bad episode at the half an hour after you would normally have taken the prozac.

Did you not have it again today at the 11:30 mark?

Yesterday I did not take the Prozac at the usual 11am time. No symptoms after not taking it as well.

Today, I did not take the Prozac. It is currently 1040am here in California. 

By 1pm today I will be taking Paxil though. 

Should I add the 2.5mg Prozac starting today but taking it hours after the Paxil dose. So I would take it around 6pm today. 

Since you also seemed to report suicidal thoughts since you started the Prozac I think your having a negative reaction to it.

I would not take any today. I did a little more reading and some of the issues you are reporting are side effects of it as well.  The half-life is 4-6 days

1 hour ago, DiscJockey said:

I am hoping after adding the Prozac at a small dose helps

IF you are having a reaction to it, taking more of it will not help.

I was trying to help navigate finding out if that is the case.

You were willing to take a break from it for a few days to see if that would help but now Your wanting to restart it already.

You seem to "want" to take drugs, and while if we are in withdrawal finding the right reinstatement dose is helpful, taking more of other drugs (paxil or prozac) is not going to help with lexapro wd.  I think the doctors have given you too strong a belief that a new drug can take you out of wd from another, this is not always the case.

Now, as I look more closely to your signature line, You also reported bad "start effects" from ALL of these drugs in 2015:

If you already had bad experiences with all of these drugs, you are only going to get worse taking them at a later time.  I am not saying you are not in withdrawal, but I think you are having reactions to all of these drugs and the polydrug cocktails.

Since the prozac has such a long half life, if  I was in your shoes, I would stop taking it for a week.

Your still going to have about 2.5mgs in your system at that time.  I would keep good symptom notes.

But seeing now that you had such bad reactions to them I can't recommend staying on it for a bridge attempt.

Edited by Colonial

2 hours ago, DiscJockey said:

I felt alright waking up yesterday (possibly the Prozac still in my system holding off the withdrawals from Lexapro). But today it seems like I am in wd hell.

I am hoping after adding the Prozac at a small dose helps

I don't think the prozac is of any help with lexapro wd.

I think this is the false thinking you were set up to believe that isn't holding true.

Your only seem to be worse.

We also have no idea how much taking it while still on paxil is causing a cross reaction.

Bridges from one drug with a short half life to prozac is usually attempted when there is NOT still a 3rd SSRI in the mix.

ETA: Missing one day of prozac would not be enough to have aggrivated your Lexapro wd.  You are going to have to realize every new symptom is not a signal that you need a med adjustment. 

Edited by Colonial

• Administrator

@Colonial, I don't believe we can identify what's going on with DiskJockey. Too many ongoing changes.

1 hour ago, Colonial said:

You seem to "want" to take drugs, and while if we are in withdrawal finding the right reinstatement dose is helpful, taking more of other drugs (paxil or prozac) is not going to help with lexapro wd.  I think the doctors have given you too strong a belief that a new drug can take you out of wd from another, this is not always the case.

Hi @Colonial, I do want to come off these drugs, Its just that I am in bad shape. I do not want to take drugs, just reinstate at a low dose to see if it will help with my current symptoms. I am afraid that since I have been taking doses of Prozac since June, even though I was having bad reactions to it but did not know at the time and the bad advice my doctor was giving me kept me taking it, now my body has adjusted to having the drug. So if I stop it, I am going to get withdrawals right?

So basically I am in a no win situation, stop the Prozac, which I will do, but the withdrawals from it will come about no matter what. Its the withdrawals that I am scared of. Basically I am cold turkeying off Prozac.

But if we tried to reinstate at a low dose, I might get a bad reaction.

I am willing to try your original plan, to just reinstate at a low dose of Prozac hours after taking Paxil. So my body will not go into full blown panic without the Prozac. I am not sure.

I feel that I am going to have a long road to recover from this now. If I take Prozac at a low dose I could get hurt, If I do not, I go into full blown cold turkey withdrawal. 

Right now I am already feeling like my body has abruptly stopped a drug cold turkey, in a few days it is going to get worse. I do not want to end up in the hospital.

Like I said I am not trying to take more drugs. I just want to get stable and be sane to do a safe slow taper. I still have to wait for that new dr to see me and that is not until Aug 17.

Sorry for you taking on this situation I am in. If you need to bow out, that is fine, ill understand. 

1 hour ago, Colonial said:

Since the prozac has such a long half life, if  I was in your shoes, I would stop taking it for a week.

Your still going to have about 2.5mgs in your system at that time.  I would keep good symptom notes.

Ok so basically cold turkey off the Prozac for a week. 

So after a week? Hopefully everything is ok? 

3 minutes ago, DiscJockey said:

I do not want to take drugs, just reinstate at a low dose to see if it will help with my current symptoms.

You are making the assumption the symptoms are from missing 2 days.

Neither we nor you can really say if that is the case.

5 minutes ago, DiscJockey said:

Basically I am cold turkeying off Prozac.

No one suggested cold turkeying off it.

You will still have 50% of it it your system in 4-to 6 days.

The question was would dropping the dose help the other new symptoms

7 minutes ago, DiscJockey said:

Right now I am already feeling like my body has abruptly stopped a drug cold turkey, in a few days it is going to get worse

Neither you nor we can know for sure if you will be worse.

Your body may be beginning to register the drop but it is best to try not to catastrophize and assume the worst case scenario. 

If, however, you feel the symptoms are worse than where you were, only you can decide which is more problematic for you, what you are assuming are new wd symptoms from lowering the prozac or the other ones which seem to be new and worsening since you started it.

As Alto says, with all the drug changes, it's hard to know what is really going on.

You do have a tendency to assume a new symptom is the result of the last drug change made.

This is simply not the case, symptoms come and go for extended periods for a multitude of reasons.

The lowering the Prozac will lead to new symptoms, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Symptoms are also a sign of healing as our body adjusts. There is not going to be one magic easy answer and the more changes you make the longer it will prolong your healing.

I do believe you want to get off the meds eventually. My statement was just for right now, you are looking for the right "mix" to stabilize, which is understandable. My concern is you will continue to second guess yourself when symptoms change and think it means you need a med change.

This is where I don't think I can be of much assistance, if your looking for advice on tweaking your cocktail if you are going to want to continue to tweak it so often. You were already second guessing the plan today to try stopping if for only 2 days.

While I do still think your having a bad reaction to the prozac, based on what your reporting and on the fact you already had one with this drug in 2015, if you think what you are assuming are wd symptoms are already too much to navigate then you have to make a decision if that is the case, or if your talking yourself into assuming they are.

You do seem very worried and scared about wd symptoms, so only you can decide if the symptoms are really as bad as they are or if its your fear of experiencing them that is raising your anxiety and actually causing them. 

There really is no way we can know ahead of time how symptomatic the prozac wd will be, but from your posts this seems to be your bigger fear than the current negative symptoms your experiencing.

I don't suggest making any change  if your not comfortable that it is a good decision or your so afraid of the possible negative outcome. You first need to be secure in the knowledge that any change is a good decision before You make it or if their is a negative symptom, you will second guess your plan and double back.

I sense your not comfortable with this yet. I'm sensing your biggest struggle is the fear of the symptoms more than the symptoms themselves.  And I totally get that!  We don't want to do anything to make ourselves worse.

But as I said yesterday, In the end, it will be up to you to decide which is worse, what you were reporting, or the changes, but that has to be done objectively and not in a fear state assuming the worst. 

Again, What we were looking for was to see if there was any lessening of the negative symptoms right  after the dose and that did seem to occur.  You reported NOT having the awful episode right after taking it yesterday.

Do you still have access to the 1 of the 2 doctors who you could discuss the possibility if your having a bad reaction to the prozac?  I feel that may be a better option for you at this point, sense you seem to feel secure in following their recommendations, and what they would recommend lowering your dose to. 

Dropping 50% all at once would likely cause symptoms and may be too much at once and perhaps you need a dose of the prozac a little higher than 2.5 but again, it's going to be deciphering if what your biggest obstacle is the fear of the wd from the actual wd symptoms themselves, and being committed to staying at a certain dose for a period of time and not second guessing the plan every day.

If following the advice of the doctor as to what your tapering plan of the prozac should be relieves that fear, than it may be a more prudent call than me or someone giving you advice on what dose to try, since it takes time, and a commitment to that dose to see positive changes, and its going to mean enduring some amount of wd. I think you need to be secure in knowing that and the dose from someone you trust.

Ok @Colonial thank you. 

So going forward, just stop taking the Prozac for now and stick with the 8.82mg Paxil?

Then keep a daily journal here of symptoms for the next few days.

Then after a week based on my symptoms I post here, well see if we need to add Prozac back in or completely stay off of it. 

My suggestion was-is to discuss this with a doctor.

The suggestion for your consideration was to be, after the first week, if you had relief from the negative symptoms and new wd symptoms weren't that bad, to try stabilizing at that 2.5mg dose, since you would be around the half life around then.

However, you may hit the 50% half life mark at day 4, and if after 2 days you think the change in your symptoms are truly wd and already getting severe from the level dropping, you may be a fast metabolizer who's levels are dropping and you could be close to having only 3.75mgs in your system right now which is a large enough % drop to give symptoms.

So you need to decide what your committed to doing. I don't feel comfortable at this point continuing to give suggestions because I don't know how much of your symptoms are truly organic and how much are psycho somatic or fear induced based on being afraid of incoming wd and if its even wise to change if your in a fear state your not committed to staying at a new dose long enough to see the stabilization through. 

If your worried and want to try to start the Prozac again at 6pm at a lower dose than 5mgs but higher than 2.5 and try to stabilize there, than decide what lower dose that is if you really think your having severe wd symptoms come back already. But for the reasons stated you have to pick a dose.  I can't tell you what that that best dose would be. 

No one want's you to Martyr yourself and drop too fast and endure unnecessary wd and only you know what you can handle. If your truly getting worse with bad wd symptoms than maybe you need to try to stabilize at a certain dose below 5mgs and see if the negative symptoms come back once you start dosing again. 

That was the point of the suggestion, to see if the negative symptoms abated and it does seem they did.

But based on your past history with a previous negative reaction to this drug I'm not sure I feel comfortable continuing to give advice on it as I am unsure why you agreed to retake it and your fear of the process. Since you already had one negative reaction to this it seems like a good idea to discuss this with whomever proscribed it to you.

Again, my concern is your going to feel most comfortable running this by one of your doctors first since being unsure and in fear of a change will, by itself, raise your cortisol and cause symptoms and now you've accidentally mis diagnosed why your not doing well. Being secure in your game plan is just as important as having a good plan.

Edited by Colonial

So @ColonialI will stay off the Prozac for a few days, and if wd seems to persist and be intense, ill try the plan of adding 2.5mg Prozac after a few hours of taking Paxil. 

Ill document daily symptoms here.