sunnysideup69

Coronavirus / covid and psychiatric drug tapering & withdrawal

ChessieCat

Very interesting info from Shep.

With what "we" know about taking/getting off some drugs it definitely cannot be assumed that the post-covid issues are caused by covid.

NEW!!!               INTERVIEW with Altostrata, SA's founder               NEW!!! 

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering Oct 2015  Current from 14 Nov 2020:  Pristiq 0.50 mg

My tapering program                                      My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

REMINDER TO SELF:  I don't need the drug now, but my still brain does.

pureshark

Thankfully I had just come to the end of my Cymbalta taper when I got COVID in April... Any change in symptoms I have now is strictly medication related! I can only speak for myself. :-)

Onmyway

A new study has tested fluvoxamine to show it prevents severe disease. Apparently many SSRIs can do that. So maybe that is why we don't get that sick when on SSRIs. Not sure if withdrawal would be a problem. I want to say that for a few days it might be OK but then there are cases of people who had such extreme reactions that I worry about the immediate nightmare that

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-11/apl-jrf111220.php

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2773108

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg ,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months (don't remember dates), trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up), occasionally did this in difficult times 

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax/day, then 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week, April  14 , 2019 - citalopram 1.8 mg (liquid), May 8, 2019 - citalopram 1.6 mg (liquid),  July 27, 2019 - citalopram 1.5 mg (liquid),  August 15, 2019 - citalopram 1.35 (liquid)

supplements:  melatonin 1 mg  

Colonial

Wow...It's not just the "few days" (16-21), look at the dose.

Participants received a dose of 50 mg of fluvoxamine (or matching placebo) in the evening immediately after the baseline assessment and confirmation of eligibility, then for 2 days at a dose of 100 mg twice daily as tolerated, and then increasing to a dose of 100 mg 3 times daily as tolerated through day 15 then stopped (additional details appear in Supplement 1). This dose range was determined based on the binding affinity of fluvoxamine for the S1R.17 After the completion of 15 days of fluvoxamine or placebo, participants were given the option to receive a 6-day open-label course of fluvoxamine.

Edited by ChessieCat
put quoted text into quote box and bolded doses

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs  8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6)

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

Daily medications:  Paxil, Percocet,  Synthroid, Xanax, Skelaxin

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1800-1156,72-8506,1572-951,1463-869,440-203,133-54

NoMoreLexapro

Have read all the posts in this thread and am still curious if ADWD makes us higher-risk for covid infection and severe illness from it.  So much of the time I feel my immune system is compromised...many of my WD sxs feel like cold/flu symptoms.  The thought of covid on top of WD is terrifying to consider.  For those of you who have had covid in WD:  did you feel the impact of covid was markedly worse because you were in WD?

Cases here in the western US are through the roof and there are no signs of it plateauing or diminishing any time soon.

Was on Lexapro for 66 days starting in early January.  5mg for a week, 10mg for 3, 7.5 for 3 days, then 5mg and 2.5mg for approx two weeks after.  

Was on Lithium for 60 days starting in late January. 1 300mg ER pill a day.  Stopped CT

Was given a .5 ativan script in early Jan.  Took it maybe 20x total from early Jan to beg of June, 2020.

-Fall of 2019:  had two vertigo attacks for the first time with no warning, each followed by 4-5 days of morning dizziness.

-Last Friday of 2019:  had first ever, out of the blue, panic attack.  Went to ER- didn't know what was happening.  Was diagnosed w/GAD, even though had never had anxiety or depression problems before.  Basically no health problems at all prior to this, and in very good shape emotionally, physically, and mentally.

-4 days after panic attack given lexapro.  That's when the hell began.  Was on it 66 days.  Reacted badly to it.  Gave me suicidal ideation 4 wks after starting it, plus exhaustion, off the charts anxiety, dizziness, and fatigue.  Did a fast taper over 5 wks.  Was on it 66 days total.

-been off lexapro completely since mid-March, 2020.  First 3 weeks I got better and better.  Then, week 4 into WD got slammed.  Since then, over 64 side effects/symptoms.  Can't drive.  At times, barely surviving.

-since Jan., have been to the e r 16x.

-was given lithium after experienced SI from lexapro to as a "mood stabilizer".  Never really noticed anything from it, nor anything after stopping it, except for a few days of heightened depression about a week after.

-was given low dosage ativan script 2nd week into lexapro to deal with the anxiety/panic spike caused by the lexapro.  Took it perhaps 20x between Jan and June, 2020.  Always made me feel better, but last time it was taken (early June) experienced intrusive thoughts after so stopped it.  Didn't feel any negative reaction from stopping it, perhaps b/c it was taken so infrequently and the dosage was so low. 

ChessieCat

I think like anything it is can affect different people (in general) in different ways.  It's stressful continually worrying about "what ifs".  And the "what ifs" might never happen.

NEW!!!               INTERVIEW with Altostrata, SA's founder               NEW!!! 

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering Oct 2015  Current from 14 Nov 2020:  Pristiq 0.50 mg

My tapering program                                      My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

Shep

This is a Mad in America Zoom discussion from May 2020, but I just came across it and noticed the interesting conversation on psych drugs being used during the COVID pandemic. I'm linking to minute 36 in this video where one of the speakers, a clinical psychologist, mentions being in two groups for people going through long-term COVID recovery and the psychiatric drugs they've been prescribed:

Fear and Grief Are Not Mental Illness...(and Never Were)

Lots of Seroquel being prescribed, along with SSRIs and benzos. So how much of the long-term COVID symptoms are COVID and how much are the results of treatment, including adverse drug interactions that we see regularly here on this forum? 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

ChessieCat

7 hours ago, Shep said:

Lots of Seroquel being prescribed, along with SSRIs and benzos. So how much of the long-term COVID symptoms are COVID and how much are the results of treatment, including adverse drug interactions that we see regularly here on this forum? 

Exactly my thoughts:

On 10/24/2020 at 8:13 AM, ChessieCat said:

Very interesting info from Shep.

With what "we" know about taking/getting off some drugs it definitely cannot be assumed that the post-covid issues are caused by covid.

ChessieCat

So we can expect an influx of new members in the near future as they decide to stop their drug/s?

SolarPlexus
On 3/30/2020 at 1:03 AM, AlaskanGlacier said:

For those worried about possible ways to help kill any infection, virus that they do get, I've had amazing success with raw garlic in keeping me alive during my tapering. I was thrown on Hydrocortisone (a corticosteroid known for lowering the immune system) while in Xanax c/t wd and was on it for about 3-4 years. During the time on, I had a number of infections thanks to the lowered immunity that caused severe cellulitis in my face/ear. I mean swollen to look like I had some kind of disease. Horribly sick feeling. When one of those would start and ramp up, I took 6-8 and upwards of 12 raw garlic cloves a day spread thru the day until the infection was gone. The garlic killed the cellulitis/blood infection in less than 3 days and I was back to normal in about a week. Saved my life a few times and now that I'm off the steroid, I haven't and don't get them anymore. :) Raw garlic has also helped kill flus/colds in a very short day or two. The stuff has been a lifesaver for me.

Thought I'd share.

Thank you @AlaskanGlacier for this tip. I've been hit with UTIs and Candida thanks to withdrawal. Didn't have them before. Reluctant to take antibiotics and anti-fungal medications and have been consuming one clove of garlic (split into two) on an empty stomach daily. I will try and up the dose as a way of avoiding medicines. I have not reacted well to a single medication I've been given while in WD. Hopefully garlic will be gentler on me. Super helpful tip. Thanks so much!

Summer 2016 - summer 2018: put on Lexapro, going from 5 mg up to 20 mg over the span of the 2 years (had visited shrink for help with obsessive thinking, was not diagnosed with anything in particular, just prescribed Lexapro 15 mins into first session)

Summer 2018: tapered down by 2.5 mg every few weeks

Protracted withdrawal ever since. 0-14 months began with a massive panic attack that landed me in ER, followed by prolonged anxiety, mental fog and a skin rash on my back. Was regularly consuming alcohol as did not know I was in WD. From then onwards, hit with worse myriad symptoms. Currently at 22 months and have electromagnetic sensitivity, brain zaps, brain fog, memory problems (especially name recall), twitch in right eyebrow, daily waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. with fast heartbeats and "sticky" negative memories, suicidal thoughts, rage episodes, temperature dysregulation, physical numbness & weakness, libido loss.   

Shep
On 11/22/2020 at 6:22 PM, ChessieCat said:

So we can expect an influx of new members in the near future as they decide to stop their drug/s?

I think there may be at some point.  But there's something called a "symptom pool," which includes the narrative of the chemical imbalance and faulty brains as the reasons for our distress. Psychiatry has been messaging this for decades and encouraging people to self-identity with labels that keep people drugged. So have other "psy" professions. Even in the face of what should be seen as common sense - it's NORMAL to feel distressed during a pandemic, especially in countries such as the US where there's no social contract and no universal healthcare. Tens of millions of people face evictions and estimates as high as 40% of the country is already food-insecure. 

So it really depends on the desperation that leads people to readily accept a disability check which can come with these drugs. 

I'm currently reading Crazy Like Us, which goes into the damage this "symptom pool" can cause globally. And it's currently all over the major newspapers how widespread "mental illness" is during the pandemic and how millions of people aren't getting "treated." It's really surreal and frightening to watch this play out, especially knowing what we know here on SA and on other forums and Facebook groups. 

I do hope people get informed, but I'm not sure it will happen. The social contract must be fixed first here in the US and in other parts of the world so people aren't reliant on so-called "mental illness" disability as a way of surviving in this world. 

Edited by Shep
added information

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.