Food: healing diets and protocols (finding one’s way through the maze)

GiaK

oh! it's spring and it seems I can't help myself. I have things to write and I still don't have creative outlets in other sectors...so, an article. I've largely taken my name off the site since I really can't do a ton of engagement with readers anymore...but I guess i just can't totally shut up either...so here you go...

https://wp.me/p5nnb-eIj 

Every single healing diet “protocol” marketed indiscriminately to everyone is a form of criminality that capitalism requires. NO ONE HEALTHY DIET IS APPROPRIATE FOR EVERYONE. And yet without shame there are 100s of “health gurus” who make this claim.

Health gurus who claim a protocol is right for everyone are at best deluded. At worst they’re contributing to the suffering of others in that they’re imposing their experience on others in a predatory fashion. They excel at making people believe they need the health guru and will often charge up to $500 or more for an hour of their time….that’s cash above and beyond the books and whatever else they’re selling.  And take heed…their targets are desperate people who are often very ill and truly need support.

This is the thing: we don’t need to be told what to eat, we need to learn how to discern it for ourselves as unique individuals.

Because of nothing better available at the time I started mindfully tending to my healing, I tried many “healing” diets. All featured some sort of elimination diet. Such diets are great in that we learn more in mindfulness when less din is surrounding what is put in the body. We see how our body responds in elimination and we see what it’s like to add food back. We learn to listen to the body…if we trust ourselves anyway and not whatever random health guru we might be learning about foods from.

Some of these health gurus have been useful in that some of their insights are, indeed, helpful. The trick is knowing how to let go of whatever is dogmatic and/or delusional in what they’re selling. Until we grow quite a lot in learning to listen to our body it seems most folks opt for joining the guru in dogma.

I ended up finding what I needed in my immediate ancestry. I am a first generation Italian. I grew up eating an intact culturally sound whole food diet. (Mediterranean) I knew how to eat as my family hadn’t lost that yet as brand new immigrants. 

I simply had to find my way back to my own  ancestry! Some of us are mutts and it might not be as clearly ancestrally driven. For me it really was…and I am reconnected with the only great joy from my family and upbringing. Damn good food served with LOVE. My family may have otherwise been emotional nightmares yet we knew how to eat. When you know how to eat that’s connection with the natural state. With a connection to the natural state in mindful attendance of that one can better find the natural state in all contexts of life.

See also more posts on diet

and more posts about food

https://wp.me/p5nnb-eIj

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I've done a few diet "protocols" GiaK, and yes, they are indeed expensive.

Of course there is testing to be done to understand what is going on in the gut "biome", also very costly.

The first one I did worked, putting an end to my inflammation (eczema), which was all over my upper body and face.

The GP I saw today acknowledged, that everyone's gut is different, responding differently to certain foods.  She asked what I was doing to help it, and I said I was still waiting to hear from my NP.

I told her, that I reckoned the coil had slowed my gut function to the point that food wasn't moving through the gut properly, and that it was just sitting there.  This meant I was getting a build up of histhamine, and thus, reacting to certain foods = gut disbiosis/histhamine intolerance.

Since all GPs can do is prescribe pills, she asked me what she could do to help.  I mentioned ruling out various autoimmune disorders, thyroid, diabetes, feretin and total blood count for inflammation. So off again to have bloodwork done.

Uggh! The meds that make us worse not better, and GPs have no solution to this themselves. 

Ridiculous state of affairs.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Hello @GiaK

how are you doing? I watched your YouTube videos. I hope you are doing well and healing even well-er 

Put on sertraline in January 2016 50 mg. 100mg Feb 16-May18 

may 18 50 mg some withdrawals 

august 18 rapid taper off. September 22 put on 50 mg due to withdrawals 

2 weeks later up to 100mg. Bad reaction 

on 100 for 4 weeks. Then 50 for two weeks 25 for two weeks and 25 every other day for a week 

off since 8 December having waves and windows 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2020 at 9:26 AM, Junglechicken said:

Of course there is testing to be done to understand what is going on in the gut "biome", also very costly.

Ridiculous state of affairs.

most of that labwork is useless...they don't know enough about the microbiome to even know what to look for...it's generally a waste of money. I learned the hard way and yeah, spent too much time and money at first...i don't go down such rabbit holes anymore...

mindful attention to the body has been far more accurately revealing for me...in that I've learned to respond in ways that clearly support my process. I don't claim to know what is actually going on...

labwork, on occasion can be appropriate but perhaps more than 90% of the time it's useless. It has a lot of placebo value...temporarily people believe the doctor is doing something constructive.

I've taken all that power back...

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

On 3/14/2020 at 2:02 PM, Heal95 said:

Hello @GiaK

how are you doing? I watched your YouTube videos. I hope you are doing well and healing even well-er 

ha ha ha! I don't answer that question...how am I doing? god knows...every moment is it's own reality...

5 hours ago, GiaK said:

most of that labwork is useless...they don't know enough about the microbiome to even know what to look for...it's generally a waste of money. I learned the hard way and yeah, spent too much time and money at first...i don't go down such rabbit holes anymore...

mindful attention to the body has been far more accurately revealing for me...in that I've learned to respond in ways that clearly support my process. I don't claim to know what is actually going on...

labwork, on occasion can be appropriate but perhaps more than 90% of the time it's useless. It has a lot of placebo value...temporarily people believe the doctor is doing something constructive.

I've taken all that power back...

I appreciate your comments on this Gia.

So where do you stand on naturopathy?

The testing was done through my NP.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

the labwork that is available is all the same...hit and miss...sometimes people get lucky. I don't experience alt. doctors as particularly different from MDs...they just have less dangerous tools to harm us with.

the people I have found to work with are from all fields, including western medicine but I have very odd alliances with them and I don't do anything that is expected from "patients".  I rarely see them more than once or twice...I like talking to anyone who can add perspective without forcing anything on me. I've found no one that understands my process well enough to put them in charge...so I simply don't do that anymore. I did it for too long frankly. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy