Growler213: Taper trazadone

Growler213

I was going through a bad bento withdrawal from CT from Nov 2018 to now and my doctor put me on 50 mg trazadone to sleep in March 2019. I am doing better now and want to get off of it. I am having excess saliva and giissues not sure if it’s related to Benzo or another GIissue or Trazadone. Any help will be great

thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Growler.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. 

I'm glad you're feeling better from your benzo withdrawal. 

Here is some information about tapering trazodone and about withdrawal:

Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

You may find some helpful information to handle your symptoms here: 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

4 hours ago, Growler213 said:

I am having excess saliva and giissues not sure if it’s related to Benzo or another GIissue or Trazadone.

Please see:

Saliva problems: dry mouth / xerostomia or increased salivation, drooling

Digestive problems: nausea, diarrhoea, bloating, GERD

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Please continue to use this thread to post questions and provide updates. As you provide more information, we can better guide you in setting up a taper. 

• Moderator Emeritus
20 hours ago, Growler213 said:

So you are able to sleep good now. I am trying to find out what’s the best way, my dr wants me to cut 1/4 every two weeks. I checked with my Phrmacist and he also said the same. But I am concern. Any idea on how I could taper with minimum side effects

Growler, I copied this post from Roxiedwn's thread and placed it here in your own thread. 

Please ask questions about your own taper here in your introduction / update thread. 

Please see my post above, especially the links "Tips for Tapering Trazadone" and "Why taper by 10% of my dosage".

After you have a chance to read these links, please post any questions here in your thread. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Growler213, @Growler213

Welcome aboard.

On 3/18/2020 at 11:44 PM, Growler213 said:

I was going through a bad bento withdrawal from CT from Nov 2018 to now and my doctor put me on 50 mg trazadone to sleep in March 2019. I am doing better now and want to get off of it. I am having excess saliva and giissues not sure if it’s related to Benzo or another GIissue or Trazadone. Any help will be great

And yes, after a year on trazodone, it is best to go slowly with your taper now.  We're a harm reduction tapering site.  After only about a month, or less, on these types of medication, dependency can and does develop.  And so.....a nice slow taper, 10% or less of each previous dosage, works best.

How are you doing now?  What types of WD(withdrawal) symptoms are you experiencing?

And are you on any other medications/drugs at this point? 

Give a try at the signature.  That's the information that you see below each member's post.

Welcome aboard, and so sorry that your posts apparently were mainly on others Introductions, and your own introduction topic got overlooked, I believe.  This is your introduction page, where you have now introduced yourself to the community, and the absolute best place for you to post questions, and more information, around your unique case.

Welcome again.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thanks you so much. I am not tapering but I still have issues which I had before I started on Trazadone. I am not sure if this is Benzo still causing issues or I am not healing from Benzo because I am on Trazadone. They are more bearable now but still there. 

Trazadone does help me sleep and it’s been a god sent after getting off Benzo. I am not sure getting off right now after struggling for 17 months is the right thing but I don’t want to be on some med for too long and then struggle to get off. 

can someone help me, what will be the long term issue of being in Trazadone. My doc keeps saying if it helps you can stay on it doesn’t cause any issues ( checked 4 diff docs). I don’t trust them anymore. I know people in here know more than anyone else because you have gone through. 

I don’t take any other meds

thanks

• Moderator Emeritus
51 minutes ago, Growler213 said:

can someone help me, what will be the long term issue of being in Trazadone. My doc keeps saying if it helps you can stay on it doesn’t cause any issues ( checked 4 diff docs). I don’t trust them anymore. I know people in here know more than anyone else because you have gone through. 

Hi Growler,

Take a look at the first post in the tapering Trazodone link.  There is more information about Trazodone there.  And then you can check Drugs.com as well, to find out more about side effects, etc. around your drug.  And I know, I know......or we know, we know.......on trusting docs and their drugs.  You're in the right place.  We get it.

One of the long term issues, that I see with being on Trazodone is that......it's kind of an icky drug, with the mCPP, active metabolite, and then it has interactions with many other drugs too.  I mean should you need another drug for some medical condition, at some point. 

And then, often these drugs do stop helping many times........as one builds up tolerance to them.  I don't know, maybe those docs were all comfy because they had many patients on them for years, and weren't aware of any issues.  That doesn't always mean their patients did not have issues.

And oh, my Mum is on it, unfortunate I think, as she has had many medical issues develop as she so valiantly ages.  And I don't know if you are elderly, nor do you need to disclose that........but, when I ran her through a interaction check awhile back, I found that Trazodone should not be used for long periods in the elderly.......that was the official recommend.  Yet she has been on it for years and years now!  So that's an ugh.

Edited by manymoretodays
in black

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Growler213 said:

Thanks you so much. I am not tapering but I still have issues which I had before I started on Trazadone. I am not sure if this is Benzo still causing issues or I am not healing from Benzo because I am on Trazadone. They are more bearable now but still there. 

Hello, Growler. What are these issues? Do they occur at any particular times of day?

Please do not worry about the trazodone for now. It could be you could take less and it will still help you sleep, but we need to look at your other symptoms as well.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I get muscle twitches it goes away for few weeks or months and come back again and will last few days. It has got some help better but still comes and goes. I have excess saliva started about 6 months ago. Not sure if it’s related, have seen a GI and ENT and they both think it might be related to Anxious. I still get lightheaded but not that bad it was when I quit Benzo but it’s starting to get old after being dealing with it for a long time. 

You should check your blood pressure while you're lightheaded as trazodone lowers it.

Dx: complex PTSD

Discontinuation/taper history: sertraline, trazodone, prazosin, mirtazapine, diazepam

Took 200mg quetiapine for 0.5 years and 150mg for 1.5 years until 01/2020. Now microtapering daily at an overall rate of 12.5mg/month.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 3/26/2020 at 12:45 PM, Growler213 said:

I get muscle twitches it goes away for few weeks or months and come back again and will last few days. It has got some help better but still comes and goes. I have excess saliva started about 6 months ago. Not sure if it’s related, have seen a GI and ENT and they both think it might be related to Anxious. I still get lightheaded but not that bad it was when I quit Benzo but it’s starting to get old after being dealing with it for a long time. 

Hi Growler213,

Saliva problems: dry mouth/xerostomia or increased salivation, drooling

^ seeing more about the dry mouth there than the increased salivation. 

You may want to take a look though, and post there too, to see if any other members are experiencing this, and how they cope

And then this:  Occasional neuromuscular symptoms: Tics, twitches,fasiculations, spasms, cramps, restless legs

Would you give a try at the signature:

On 3/19/2020 at 4:15 AM, Shep said:

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

It can be really helpful to see, when responding to your questions. Thank you.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt