Tom Successfully Quit After 18 Years On Effexor (Venlafaxine)

Posting this to encourage you that it can be done. I didn't think I'd recover from my horrible withdrawal. I was going to try and reinstate, but it seemed like it was too late, everything was already so screwed up and it felt like was no going back at that point. I was on Effexor for 18 years. I went on it the first year it was released in the US.  It's been almost 10 years now since my last dose. I gradually tapered over a two year period and I did pretty well up until I was down to less than 10 beads,  and then my nervous system went totally haywire and it took years to recover.

The two main problems I developed from quitting were very bad anxiety and disturbed sleep. I would wake up anxious after like two to four hours of sleep. Sometimes, I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep at all. Both sleep and anxiety gradually improved, in an up and down manner. The anxiety eventually went away. Sleep improved, but I'm not the best sleeper. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, but was unable to tolerate cpap.  I usually sleep about five or six hours a day, and sleep straight through. On good days, I'll sleep more than six hours straight through. On bad days which aren't that often, I'll sleep less than five hours. But when I don't sleep well, I no longer freak out too much about it. I would probably say my average sleep is something like 5.5 hours, but it's straight through and I wake up calmly instead of in a panic. Below are a few things that helped me. Wishing you all the best of luck with your taper and great health.

1. This article somehow really helped me with anxiety. I mean I think it made a huge difference. I don't remember if I heard about it here or on another group, but I'm glad I found it. I remember reading at the time that it had a profound effect for some other people too. It's called "Nothing Works, A Letter To Myself."  http://nothingworks.weebly.com/

2.  For sleep, I use a sound machine. Here's the machine I originally used. Eventually I ended up making my own custom solution with an old laptop. But this machine worked well for me, and I gave one to my mother and it made a give improvement in her sleep too. Link: Lectrofan

3. Meditation. I started seriously meditating at some point during my taper, and never stopped. I try to do it twice a day everyday. I did/do it more for spiritual/religious reasons, but I've got to think that it must have helped in some way regarding anxiety and maybe even sleep too. 

ADMIN NOTE Tom's Introductions topic is here

Edited by Altostrata
Added admin note

Approximately 18 years on Effexor. Tapered for more than two years. Totally off of Effexor since late Oct. 2010.

• Altostrata changed the title to Tom Successfully Quit After 18 Years On Effexor (Venlafaxine)
  • Administrator

Thanks for returning to tell us how you're doing, Tom. What changes have you see in the last couple of years?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Tom, thanks for writing the success story! I was asking- do you feel like your CNS is not affected anymore by things that might have affected it in the past? You mentioned you can drink coffee- what about exercise, life stressors, etc? Did you have fatigue in withdrawal?

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking vitamin C, D, E, a probiotic and fish oil. 
Message me here if you want: 
https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

On 4/1/2020 at 6:23 AM, Tom said:

hen my nervous system went totally haywire and it took years to recover

Did you experience cognitive problems ? And assuming if you did, you have recovered these? If so, how much of your cognitive capacity have you recovered? 

Congratulations on getting your life back. A true gift.

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante

On 4/1/2020 at 6:23 AM, Tom said:

Posting this to encourage you that it can be done. I didn't think I'd recover from my horrible withdrawal. I was going to try and reinstate, but it seemed like it was too late, everything was already so screwed up and it felt like was no going back at that point. I was on Effexor for 18 years. I went on it the first year it was released in the US.  It's been almost 10 years now since my last dose. I gradually tapered over a two year period and I did pretty well up until I was down to less than 10 beads,  and then my nervous system went totally haywire and it took years to recover.

The two main problems I developed from quitting were very bad anxiety and disturbed sleep. I would wake up anxious after like two to four hours of sleep. Sometimes, I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep at all. Both sleep and anxiety gradually improved, in an up and down manner. The anxiety eventually went away. Sleep improved, but I'm not the best sleeper. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, but was unable to tolerate cpap.  I usually sleep about five or six hours a day, and sleep straight through. On good days, I'll sleep more than six hours straight through. On bad days which aren't that often, I'll sleep less than five hours. But when I don't sleep well, I no longer freak out too much about it. I would probably say my average sleep is something like 5.5 hours, but it's straight through and I wake up calmly instead of in a panic. Below are a few things that helped me. Wishing you all the best of luck with your taper and great health.

1. This article somehow really helped me with anxiety. I mean I think it made a huge difference. I don't remember if I heard about it here or on another group, but I'm glad I found it. I remember reading at the time that it had a profound effect for some other people too. It's called "Nothing Works, A Letter To Myself."  http://nothingworks.weebly.com/

2.  For sleep, I use a sound machine. Here's the machine I originally used. Eventually I ended up making my own custom solution with an old laptop. But this machine worked well for me, and I gave one to my mother and it made a give improvement in her sleep too. Link: Lectrofan

3. Meditation. I started seriously meditating at some point during my taper, and never stopped. I try to do it twice a day everyday. I did/do it more for spiritual/religious reasons, but I've got to think that it must have helped in some way regarding anxiety and maybe even sleep too. 

ADMIN NOTE Tom's Introductions topic is here

Hi @Tom

thank you for posting your success story 

how long did it  take you to recover from wd? 
and how long did you have anxiety and depression for ? 
LRH  

Nov 2018 Pregabalin 2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD. Aug 2019 2 x 25mg a day, April 2020 45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg, June 2021 14mg, Jan 2022 14mg (2x7mg a day), Oct 10mg, Nov 5mg, December 25th 2022 0mg 🎈

Oct 2004 - Oct 2018 Paxil 20 mg, Nov 15mg, Dec 10mg,  Feb 2019 7.5mg crashed, Feb 8.5mg, Nov 8mg, March 2020 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, Dec 4.5mg, Jan 2021 4mg, Feb 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg, Aug 2.7mg, Sept 2.4mg, Oct 2.2mg, Nov 2mg, Dec 1.8mg, Feb 2022 1.6mg, March 1.4mg, April 1.2mg, May 1.0mg, June 0.8mg, July 0.6mg, Aug 0.4mg, Sep 0.2mg, October 6th 2022 0mg  🎈

December 25th 2022 drug free 

these dates are approximate 

On 4/1/2020 at 1:14 PM, Altostrata said:

Thanks for returning to tell us how you're doing, Tom. What changes have you see in the last couple of years?

I really can't think of any. Basically anything related to medication or withdrawal is over at this point. It's not something I ever think much about anymore. Now it's just the physical and mental ups and downs of life. 

On 4/1/2020 at 1:27 PM, Armorall said:

Hi Tom, thanks for writing the success story! I was asking- do you feel like your CNS is not affected anymore by things that might have affected it in the past? You mentioned you can drink coffee- what about exercise, life stressors, etc? Did you have fatigue in withdrawal?

I may be more sensitive in ways, but less in some, although I'm not really sure. I've always been sensitive. My wife used to say I'm like the princess and the pea. For exercise, I walk pretty briskly, several times a week for about 30 minutes. I've been doing it for years, and I feel like it helps relieve stress. I don't recall fatigue ever being much of a problem.

On 4/2/2020 at 7:04 PM, India said:

Did you experience cognitive problems ? And assuming if you did, you have recovered these? If so, how much of your cognitive capacity have you recovered? 

Congratulations on getting your life back. A true gift.

I did initially, but it seems like at least some of it was actually due to anxiety. Pretty sure I recovered all or most of it. 

11 hours ago, Longroadhome said:

Hi @Tom

thank you for posting your success story 

how long did it  take you to recover from wd? 
and how long did you have anxiety and depression for ? 
LRH  

Hard to say how long it took. It was gradual and up and down. It seemed like a very long time before improvement started, it might have been at some point during the second year, but honestly I can't remember and I didn't keep any kind of journal. It would get better for a while, then worse again, then better, etc. As far as how long I had depression/anxiety, I can remember being depressed at times when I was child in grade school, so my whole life I suppose.

Approximately 18 years on Effexor. Tapered for more than two years. Totally off of Effexor since late Oct. 2010.

18 minutes ago, Tom said:

I really can't think of any. Basically anything related to medication or withdrawal is over at this point. It's not something I ever think much about anymore. Now it's just the physical and mental ups and downs of life. 

I may be more sensitive in ways, but less in some, although I'm not really sure. I've always been sensitive. My wife used to say I'm like the princess and the pea. For exercise, I walk pretty briskly, several times a week for about 30 minutes. I've been doing it for years, and I feel like it helps relieve stress. I don't recall fatigue ever being much of a problem.

I did initially, but it seems like at least some of it was actually due to anxiety. Pretty sure I recovered all or most of it. 

Hard to say how long it took. It was gradual and up and down. It seemed like a very long time before improvement started, it might have been at some point during the second year, but honestly I can't remember and I didn't keep any kind of journal. It would get better for a while, then worse again, then better, etc. As far as how long I had depression/anxiety, I can remember being depressed at times when I was child in grade school, so my whole life I suppose.

Thanks Tom 

with the depression and anxiety I meant how long did it last during withdrawal as a symptom of wd? 

glad you are recovered and living life 

LRH 

Nov 2018 Pregabalin 2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD. Aug 2019 2 x 25mg a day, April 2020 45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg, June 2021 14mg, Jan 2022 14mg (2x7mg a day), Oct 10mg, Nov 5mg, December 25th 2022 0mg 🎈

Oct 2004 - Oct 2018 Paxil 20 mg, Nov 15mg, Dec 10mg,  Feb 2019 7.5mg crashed, Feb 8.5mg, Nov 8mg, March 2020 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, Dec 4.5mg, Jan 2021 4mg, Feb 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg, Aug 2.7mg, Sept 2.4mg, Oct 2.2mg, Nov 2mg, Dec 1.8mg, Feb 2022 1.6mg, March 1.4mg, April 1.2mg, May 1.0mg, June 0.8mg, July 0.6mg, Aug 0.4mg, Sep 0.2mg, October 6th 2022 0mg  🎈

36 minutes ago, Longroadhome said:

Thanks Tom 

with the depression and anxiety I meant how long did it last during withdrawal as a symptom of wd? 

glad you are recovered and living life 

LRH 

The anxiety was really bad the first year or so, and then it would go away for a while and come back. It was still coming back at times for short periods up until maybe three years ago. Depression it's hard to say, because I can't separate depression that was due to withdrawal from what seems to be my natural inclination towards depression. In other words, I was dealing with depression long before meds, during meds, during withdrawal, and now long after withdrawal. 

Thank you Tom 

Sorry Tom, I didn't ask my question correctly- do you feel like you still have to limit your rate of exercise due to it being too stimulating for your nervous system or risk of injury? Like, can you exercise as much as you want, or do you have to limit it like others in WD because it will destroy sleep or because WD folks are more injury prone?

https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

56 minutes ago, Armorall said:

Sorry Tom, I didn't ask my question correctly- do you feel like you still have to limit your rate of exercise due to it being too stimulating for your nervous system or risk of injury? Like, can you exercise as much as you want, or do you have to limit it like others in WD because it will destroy sleep or because WD folks are more injury prone?

No, I don't think so. I can't do the kind of exercise I would like to do, like pushups, weights, etc., but I don't think it has anything to do with withdrawal, because it was an issue prior. It's because of ongoing issues with neck, shoulders and so forth. As far walking goes, I don't think there are any limitations or negative effects. It is very hilly around here, so sometimes I will walk up huge hills that really get me out of breath, but it doesn't affect the nervous system, mood, or anything else really. 

That's great to hear! Thanks for answering all my questions. Congratulations again on your WD free life!

Thank you for updating everyone on your recovery.  When you stated this is your current sleep pattern, was this your normal sleep pattern before effexor and during effexor? 

On 4/1/2020 at 1:23 AM, Tom said:

I usually sleep about five or six hours a day, and sleep straight through.

On 4/1/2020 at 1:23 AM, Tom said:

I would probably say my average sleep is something like 5.5 hours,

Thank you

-2005 -2016 60mg Cymbalta

11/2016 abrupt drop to 30mg. Insomnia started (about 2x a week.)

6/29/2017 started aggressive taper. Dosage:6/29 25mg,7/7 20mg,7/10 15mg,7/1713mg,7/18 10 mg,7/22 8mg,7/31 7.5mg,8/1 6.25mg. At 6.25mg insomnia every night (waking 2-4am.) 

8/2017 began up dosing 8/9 7.5mg,8/16 10mg.

Late 2017 new taper from 25mg. Approx 10% reduction per mos (mini-tablets.) 10mg sleep would not stabilize. Cont'd taper meds running out.

Jan 2019 stopped taper at 2.5mg. Using only supplements. Morning 500mg tyrosine, 100mg L-theanine, 600mg NAC. After breakfast 1000mg fish oil, 5mg iron, 2000IU D3, B complex, 500mg ginseng, 50mg ginkgo, probiotics & 50mg zinc. Bedtime 1000mg tryptophan, 500mg gaba, 3mg time released melatonin, 325mg magnesium powder, & 100mg progesterone.

Feb 2019 brain zaps gone. Still have chronic insomnia & anxiety at times.

March 2019-Purchased Alpha Stim

May 2019-sleep still inconsistent.

October 2019- (Morning) L-Tyrosine, Super B complex, 5mg ferritin,fish oil, vit c, (Evening)200mg progesterone, 1mg Natrol Time Release Melatonin, 325mg Calm magnesium, glycine powder. Alpha Stim only seems to help with anxiety not insomnia. Usually wake up nightly average of 2 hours. *Using 25mg Benadryl or 12.5mg Doxylamine Succinate occasionally

6 hours ago, SDOE said:

Thank you for updating everyone on your recovery.  When you stated this is your current sleep pattern, was this your normal sleep pattern before effexor and during effexor? 

Thank you

I honestly can't remember what my sleep was like prior to effexor, which was 27 or 28 years ago, but I do remember feeling like my sleep improved a lot when I went on it. As for my sleep on effexor as compared to post effexor, I think my sleep was much better on it. I still probably only slept five to six hours like I do now, but then I would take naps for a couple hours at a time most days. And I could pretty much fall asleep whenever I wanted. 

Thanks for the post Tom. I'm 2.5 years out from stopping. Just hoping it gets better. Did you have inner restlessness / akathasia?

Paroxatine - 2004-2006

Effexor XR 75mg 2006 - 2016 (Discontinued Feb 2016) - Withdrawal for 6 months.

Effexor XR 75mg Re-instated June 2017 (Discontinued Dec 2017)

Effexor XR 2-3 mg Re-instated March 10 2018 - 1 day (Didn't work)

Effexor XR 2mg Reinstated (Again) May 11 2018. 6 Beads

July 2018 - 0.0mg of Effexor. Zilch

8 hours ago, Tom said:

I honestly can't remember what my sleep was like prior to effexor, which was 27 or 28 years ago, but I do remember feeling like my sleep improved a lot when I went on it. As for my sleep on effexor as compared to post effexor, I think my sleep was much better on it. I still probably only slept five to six hours like I do now, but then I would take naps for a couple hours at a time most days. And I could pretty much fall asleep whenever I wanted. 

Thank you for responding to my question as sleep has been my main problem. 

-2005 -2016 60mg Cymbalta

11/2016 abrupt drop to 30mg. Insomnia started (about 2x a week.)

6/29/2017 started aggressive taper. Dosage:6/29 25mg,7/7 20mg,7/10 15mg,7/1713mg,7/18 10 mg,7/22 8mg,7/31 7.5mg,8/1 6.25mg. At 6.25mg insomnia every night (waking 2-4am.) 

8/2017 began up dosing 8/9 7.5mg,8/16 10mg.

Late 2017 new taper from 25mg. Approx 10% reduction per mos (mini-tablets.) 10mg sleep would not stabilize. Cont'd taper meds running out.

Jan 2019 stopped taper at 2.5mg. Using only supplements. Morning 500mg tyrosine, 100mg L-theanine, 600mg NAC. After breakfast 1000mg fish oil, 5mg iron, 2000IU D3, B complex, 500mg ginseng, 50mg ginkgo, probiotics & 50mg zinc. Bedtime 1000mg tryptophan, 500mg gaba, 3mg time released melatonin, 325mg magnesium powder, & 100mg progesterone.

Feb 2019 brain zaps gone. Still have chronic insomnia & anxiety at times.

March 2019-Purchased Alpha Stim

May 2019-sleep still inconsistent.

October 2019- (Morning) L-Tyrosine, Super B complex, 5mg ferritin,fish oil, vit c, (Evening)200mg progesterone, 1mg Natrol Time Release Melatonin, 325mg Calm magnesium, glycine powder. Alpha Stim only seems to help with anxiety not insomnia. Usually wake up nightly average of 2 hours. *Using 25mg Benadryl or 12.5mg Doxylamine Succinate occasionally

11 hours ago, Lloyd said:

Thanks for the post Tom. I'm 2.5 years out from stopping. Just hoping it gets better. Did you have inner restlessness / akathasia?

Not as bad as I used to read about from some people, but I would say borderline yes. I used to pace back and forth sometimes.

On 4/1/2020 at 7:23 AM, Tom said:

Hello @Tom - I am new here and looking for inspiration as I work on stabilizing from a stupid-fast Lexapro taper. I really appreciate you posting your success story, especially the link to this very looooong but incredibly helpful article. It was worth the time it took me to read the entire letter! The advice is so simple and yet profound - and also funny. Acceptance is key, learning to let go and ‘float’ the things you can’t control,  finding ways to get the most out of the things you can control, and trying to find humor in it all. Thank you!

2008-2016 - Lexapro 10 mg, tapered to 2.5 mg over one year then CT without issues
Feb 2 - July 24, 2019 - restarted Lexapro 5 mg for insomnia

July 25 - Nov 19, 2019 - Lexapro 10 mg, resulted in increased anxiety and depression
Nov 20 - Dec 11, 2019 - 3-week FT from Lexapro 10 mg to 7.5 mg to 5 mg to 0
Dec 12, 2019 - Feb 4, 2020 - drug-free and feeling good until horrible WD hit
Feb 5 - Feb 16, 2020 - Paxil 10 mg, adverse reaction
Feb 18, 2020 - reinstated Lexapro 5 mg

Nov 22 - Dec 12, 2020 - transition from pill to homemade liquid

Dec 13, 2020 - 4.7 mg; Jan 3, 2021 - 4.5 mg; Jan 24 - 4.3 mg; Feb 14 - 4.2 mg; March 7 - 4.1 mg

daily meditation 10-40 minutes, yoga 30 minutes; CBT & ACT therapy

• 3 years later...

@Tom I’m not sure if you check here anymore but I want to thank you for returning and writing. I am 5.5 months off Effexor. I was on 150mg for 17 years. My taper was too quick. 150-0 in 3 months. I am too far out to reinstate so reading your story has given me hope. 

17 years on 150 mg Effexor.

started taper to 75 mg October 29, 2022

went to 37.5mg December 20, 2022

0 on January 27, 2023

• 3 months later...

HI -- I'm wondering what you meant by your nervous system when haywire towards the end -- the last 10 beads.  Can you describe more what that was like for you?  What did you do to cope with whatever you were feeling?