Tpain: Paxil withdraw

Tpain

I was on paxil for 18 years, my stupid doctor switched me to lexapro without weening the paxil (this happened more than a yer ago) My brain went into total dysfunction. I haven't been close to the same since. Since this time Ive went through a brutal ativan withdrawal and been on 10 different medications. I recently tried to get off paxil 10 mg and made it to 2 1/2 mg and then went into withdraw. I also was weening off abiIify during this time as well. I know now to soon and too fast. I am experiencing extreme fatigue, flu like symptoms, suicidal ideation constantly and some insomnia. Its horrific.  I have since bumped my paxil back up to ten mg's about two and a half weeks ago but there is no improvement. As of right now I am also taking 300 mgs of wellbutrin which I've been taken for 6 months. I also take trazadone for sleep. Can someone give me some advice as to what the best path would be from here? I am pretty desperate.

Edited by Shep
added username to title

- late January 2019 was switched from Paxil 30 mg to Lexapro 20 mg after being on Paxil for 17 years. I was experiencing poopout. Was not weened off Paxil. It was a straight switch. Went into major withdrawal. After the withdrawal I went immediately back onto paxil 20 mg.

- late June 2019 - fast tapered Paxil as it wasn't helping and went on Effexor 75 mg’s For three weeks and then 150 mgs for three weeks. 

- late June started 50 mg Trazadone for insomnia 

- mid August 2019- Fast tapered Effexor and went on Zoloft 50 mg for a month and then 100mg for a month

- Mid October- tapered Zoloft, went on 20 mg Paxil 

- early November was put on abilify 2.5mg worked decently (decreased depression and anxiety) but then stopped working after 2 months. 

- early January 2020 weened off abilify as it didn’t work anymore. 

- early February I started Lithium at 300 mg. 

- early February was put on 150 mg of Wellbutrin. and then 300 mg after not feeling any better after 3 weeks. 

- late February was put on adderall after I was diagnosed with adhd. The adderall helped me stabilize (depression and anxiety eased, calmed my brain down and gave me focus.)

- Early March weened down Paxil to 2.5 over two months and weened off of Lithium. Went into withdrawal. 

- Since the withdrawal I bumped up to 10 mg of Paxil to try and reinstate. I am currently on 10 mg of Paxil, 300 mg of Wellbutrin and 50 mg of Trazadone. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Tpain.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. 

That's quite a list of drugs. Please note there are several major drug interactions between Paxil, trazadone, and Wellbutrin:

Drug Interactions - Paxil, trazadone, Wellbutrin

Here is some information on withdrawal to get you started: 

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

What time(s) of the day are you taking each of these drugs? 

4 hours ago, Shep said:

Hi, Tpain.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. 

That's quite a list of drugs. Please note there are several major drug interactions between Paxil, trazadone, and Wellbutrin:

Drug Interactions - Paxil, trazadone, Wellbutrin

Here is some information on withdrawal to get you started: 

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

What time(s) of the day are you taking each of these drugs? 

- April 2018 2002 started 20 mg of Paxil 

- December 2010 started 30 mg of Paxil

- late January 2019 was switched from Paxil 30 mg to Lexapro 20 mg. I was experiencing poopout. Was not weened off Paxil. Went into major withdrawal. 

- late June 2019 - fast tapered Paxil and went on Effexor 75 mg’s For three weeks and then 150 mags for three weeks. 

-mid August 2019- Fast tapered Effexor and went on Zoloft. 

- Mid October- tapered Zoloft, went on 20 mg if Paxil 

- early November was put on abilify 2.5mg worked decently but then stopped working. 

- early January 2020 weened off ability as it didn’t work anymore. 

- early February was put on 150 mg of Wellbutrin. and then 300 mg after not feeling any better after 3 weeks. 

- late February was put on adderall after I was diagnosed with adhd. The adderall helped me stabilize and worked pretty well. 

- Early March weened down Paxil to 2.5 and weened off of Lithium. Went into withdrawal. 

- Since the withdrawal I bumped up to 10 mg of Paxil to try and reinstate. I am now on 10 mg of Paxil, 300 mg of Wellbutrin and 50 mg of Trazadone. 

22 hours ago, Tpain said:

I was on paxil for 18 years, my stupid doctor switched me to lexapro without weening the paxil (this happened more than a yer ago) My brain went into total dysfunction. I haven't been close to the same since. Since this time Ive went through a brutal ativan withdrawal and been on 10 different medications. I recently tried to get off paxil 10 mg and made it to 2 1/2 mg and then went into withdraw. I also was weening off abiIify during this time as well. I know now to soon and too fast. I am experiencing extreme fatigue, flu like symptoms, suicidal ideation constantly and some insomnia. Its horrific.  I have since bumped my paxil back up to ten mg's about two and a half weeks ago but there is no improvement. As of right now I am also taking 300 mgs of wellbutrin which I've been taken for 6 months. I also take trazadone for sleep. Can someone give me some advice as to what the best path would be from here? I am pretty desperate.

- April 2018 2002 started 30mg of Paxil 

- late January 2019 was switched from Paxil 30 mg to Lexapro 20 mg. Without weening off Paxil. Went into majorwithdrwl

- late June 2019 - fast tapered Paxil and went on Effexor 75 mg’s For three weeks and then 150 mags for three weeks. 

- late June started Trazadone for insomnia 

- early November was put on ability 2.5mg

- early January 2020 weened off ability and 

- early February I started Lithium at 150mg. 

- Early March weened down Paxil to 2.5 and weened off of Lithium. 

- Since the withdrawal I bumped up to 10 mg of Paxil to try and reinstate. I am now on 10 mg of Paxil, 300 mg of Wellbutrin and 50 mg of Trazadone. 

- late January 2019 was switched from Paxil 30 mg to Lexapro 20 mg after being on Paxil for 17 years. I was experiencing poopout. Was not weened off Paxil. It was a straight switch. Went into major withdrawal. After the withdrawal I went immediately back onto paxil 20 mg.

- late June 2019 - fast tapered Paxil as it wasn't helping and went on Effexor 75 mg’s For three weeks and then 150 mgs for three weeks. 

- mid August 2019- Fast tapered Effexor and went on Zoloft 50 mg for a month and then 100mg for a month

- early November was put on abilify 2.5mg worked decently (decreased depression and anxiety) but then stopped working after 2 months. 

- late February was put on adderall after I was diagnosed with adhd. The adderall helped me stabilize (depression and anxiety eased, calmed my brain down and gave me focus.)

- Early March weened down Paxil to 2.5 over two months and weened off of Lithium. Went into withdrawal. 

- Since the withdrawal I bumped up to 10 mg of Paxil to try and reinstate. I am currently on 10 mg of Paxil, 300 mg of Wellbutrin and 50 mg of Trazadone. 

Thank you Shep for the resources and responding back. I know my situation is a mess with all of these meds I’ve gone through. My main question for everyone is how to move forward. I am in really bad shape. I have bad akathesia, flu like symptoms and suicidal ideation. Should I stay on the 10 mg of Paxil or go down and a bit  more to stabilize? I would obviously like to get off Paxil but right now I don’t think it’s in the cards. Is there anything I can take to ease a little bit of the severity? Do think it’s reasonable that I can get back to where I was about a month ago when I was stabilized with the Paxil and the adderall? I know it’s hard to say but how long do you think it would take to get back to that point ?

• Administrator

Hello, Tpain. There are some inconsistencies in the history you give above. Please review, correct, and summarize it in you signature, here are the instructions.

You've been taking trazodone since June 2019? What effect does it have on you?

What is your current daily drug schedule, with times of day and dosages of your drugs?

4 hours ago, Tpain said:

- late January 2019 was switched from Paxil 30 mg to Lexapro 20 mg. Without weening off Paxil. Went into majorwithdrwl

You made many drug changes after this event. Why did you make the changes? Did your symptoms change with each drug, stay the same, or get worse?

4 hours ago, Tpain said:

- late February was put on adderall after I was diagnosed with adhd. The adderall helped me stabilize and worked pretty well. 

How often were you taking Adderall, what dosage? How and when did you go off? Why did you go off?

4 hours ago, Tpain said:

You were on Zoloft for about 2 months, why did you go off?

Were all these drugs prescribed by your primary care physician?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Alto, it appears I don’t have a signature at all I just have my info under the quote tab? Also how can I get my whole history in if only have 12 lines. Should I just add my most recent med adds and subtractions?

Hi Alto all of the changes were an attempt to stabilize myself. After the January 2019 med switch my whole world urned upside down. I became suicidal ideation had bad insomnia, akathesia, terrible anxiety etc. none of the switches made me feel better except the ability helped for a couple of months calm me down but stopped workin after a few months. Basically everything stayed the same and did not get better. I was taking 10 mg of adderall 5mgs twice a day morning and afternoon.i started taking it March 8th I believe. It helped quite a bit for ten days and then I went I to withdrawal. It no longer does anything for me now. I got off the Zoloft because it had no change in my mood. The first med switch was by my GP and the rest by psychiatrists. 

• Administrator

You need to make a signature, follow these instructions:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

14 minutes ago, Tpain said:

It helped quite a bit for ten days and then I went I to withdrawal.

What does "I went into withdrawal" mean? How did Adderall help?

Please carefully read my questions about and answer them as completely as you can.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

6 hours ago, Tpain said:

- April 2018 2002 started 20 mg of Paxil 

- December 2010 started 30 mg of Paxil

- late January 2019 was switched from Paxil 30 mg to Lexapro 20 mg. I was experiencing poopout. Was not weened off Paxil. Went into major withdrawal. 

- early November was put on abilify 2.5mg worked decently but then stopped working. 

- early January 2020 weened off ability as it didn’t work anymore. 

- Early March weened down Paxil to 2.5 and weened off of Lithium. Went into withdrawal. 

- April 2018 2002 started 30mg of Paxil 

- late June started Trazadone for insomnia 

- Since the withdrawal I bumped up to 10 mg of Paxil to try and reinsate. I am now on 10 mg of Paxil, 300 mg of Wellbutrin and 50 mg of Trazadone. 

Withdrawal for me happened when I tried to go from 5mg to 2.5 mg of Paxil. I had flu like symptoms, worse depression and anxiety, worse insomnia and brain fog along with the suicidal ideation. I missed a couple of your questions I take Trazadone for sleep at night 50 mg it’s heIping me now get 6 hours of sleep. I take my Paxil and Wellbutrin in the morning around 9 am and the trazadone at night around 10 pm. Sorry if I am causing You trouble but I am just trying to get used to his format. How should I configure my signature if 12 lines will only allow for half of my med story?

• Moderator Emeritus

I am currently on 10 mg of Paxil, 300 mg of Wellbutrin and 50 mg of Trazadone. 

Tpain, this is from your signature (the last line). Are you still taking Adderall? 

It sounds like the so-called ADHD label was after you were already quite drugged, and with drugs that have dangerous interactions, so that likely is why you were having trouble concentrating and any other symptom of this label. 

Please start a daily drug and symptoms journal that includes:

• all drugs you take (please include the dose)
  • any supplements you are taking (please include the name and dose)
  • how you feel before and after you take each drug and each supplement
  • the number of hours you sleep each night

We'll go through this step by step and help you set up a plan for tapering off this cocktail. Please see the below for how to format your journal and then post it daily here in your Introduction thread: 

On 9/27/2016 at 2:49 PM, Altostrata said:

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms. We ask this because there may be something we can do to reduce the symptoms.

What we need to see for every single day over several days is what symptoms you get before and after you take your drugs. If you're not taking any drugs and have withdrawal symptoms, we still need to see your symptom pattern throughout the day:

The time of day, dosage, and severity of symptoms are essential information. Include

- Time and dosage for all drugs taken throughout the day, psychiatric and non-psychiatric.

- Following each dose, note any symptoms. If you are having a reaction to the drug, it may take hours for a symptom to show up -- that's why we ask you to keep notes all day long.

- If you're not taking any drugs, your symptoms throughout the day.

- Your sleep pattern. Since so many drugs disturb sleep, if you find you're waking in the middle of the night, it could be from a drug you took earlier in the evening. If you're not taking any drugs, there may be ways you can improve your sleep.

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, looking something like this:

Example:

DATE:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

Edited by Shep
added information

Thank you Shep, I will start a daily journal. My symptoms don’t really change at all during the day but I will document what I’m feeling, the time and doses of my meds and my sleep pattern. The adderall was helping me. Once I went into withdrawal from the Paxil the adderall didn’t effect me at all anymore. I have now stopped taking it. 

• Administrator

How was your sleep affected after you started Wellbutrin? How was it affected when you were taking Adderall?

Did one doctor prescribe all these drugs?

Yes, we need to see your daily drug schedule and symptom pattern, please post 24 hours at a time, thanks.

Hi Alto, my sleep wasn’t any different after I started Wellbutrin. I get about 5 hours of sleep a night. The adderall actually didn’t effect my sleep much. I would go to sleep later but got about 6 hours of sleep. Since being in withdrawal I’ve averaged about an hour less of sleep. So I was getting 6 and now get about 5 since withdrawal. No I have seen 5-6 doctors. The reason is that I was at two different inpatient facilities and also had two insurance changes which all dictated I see different psychiatrists. Yes I will post my drug schedule and symptom pattern tonight. 

• Administrator

For what condition were you an inpatient? Did all this happen since January 2019, when you switched Lexapro for Paxil?

What effect does trazodone have on you -- 50mg since June 2019, correct?

I was in inpatient for major depression, suicidal ideation and was also dependent on Ativan which I weened off while I was at my first facility. Yes, all of the depression happened because of the med switch. I was on Paxil initially for social anxiety disorder. The trazadone puts me to sleep, I wouldn’t get any sleep with out it. Yes I’ve been on it since June

• Administrator

Need to see 24 hours of daily notes over several days, at least. Thanks.

Ok I am going to start doing notes starting tonight. My symptoms haven't really been changing much so it might be pretty repetitive. So your saying you need to see notes before you can make any suggestions?

• Administrator

That is correct. We wouldn't ask for daily notes if we didn't need them.

Ok I’m on it thanks Alto

April 5th 2019 drug and symptoms notes

4 am: wake up, lay in bed for two hours. my symptoms are immediately major depression, headache, feel run down, fatigued and have anxiety. 

6 am: drink water and coffee

9am: take 10 mg of Paxil and 300 mg of Wellbutrin. 

10 am: eat breakfast 

1pm: eat lunch

6pm: eat dinner 

10 pm: take 50 mg of trazadone 

11 pm: fall asleep 

* My symptoms continue for the whole day. I get a little relief in the morning drinking coffee and a little in the evening watching a movie or tv show. I want to know if I should just hold my meds exactly where they are or make a few tweeks or start slow tapering? 

• Administrator

How did you feel before and after taking Paxil and Wellbutrin?

Why do you take Paxil and Wellbutrin together?

Do you always drink coffee at the same time in the morning?

Do you have spells of anxiety during the day? When?

Do you feel you're getting enough sleep?

Before I took Paxil and Wellbutrin together I was not doing well. I only started feeling better when I added the adderall. I did a lot of research on the adderall and the boost of dopamine and norepinephrine it provided served me well. I have noticed no change in symptoms adding the Wellbutrin. I would like to get off of it. I started taking both of these drugs together because my psych thought it could be a good combo. Yes I drink coffee every morning at the same time. My anxiety is kind of combined with the akathesia. It’s just this irritable, unsettled feeling. It never allows me to be at peace. It is constant all day. I feel like I can function ok on the amount of sleep I am getting. I know my sleeping will get better with time. 

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Tpain said:

4 am: wake up, lay in bed for two hours. my symptoms are immediately major depression, headache, feel run down, fatigued and have anxiety. 

6 am: drink water and coffee

9am: take 10 mg of Paxil and 300 mg of Wellbutrin. 

10 am: eat breakfast 

1pm: eat lunch

6pm: eat dinner 

10 pm: take 50 mg of trazadone 

11 pm: fall asleep 

A couple of observations:

1. You are waking up at 4 am, but not having anything to eat but water and coffee until 10 am. The symptoms you describe are not just withdrawal symptoms, they are also symptoms of low blood sugar, which is common when you first wake up since you haven't eaten since the prior day. You may want to get up and have a nutritious breakfast instead of laying in bed. I would eat soon after getting up and see if that helps with the early morning symptoms. Foods that are high in protein and low in sugar and low in carbs are best. If you like eggs, they make an excellent breakfast high in protein and are easy to make. 
  2. You're taking two drugs at the same time, Paxil and Wellbutrin,  which have a major drug interaction. Please see the drug interaction report I posted in my last post on your thread and note this: "In addition, bupropion [Wellbutrin] can increase the blood levels of Paroxetine [Paxil], which may increase other side effects.

The best way to deal with this is to separate when you take these two drugs by moving one back an hour per day until they are at least 2 hours apart. We recommend moving drugs only one hour per day because it's gentlest on your nervous system. To do this:

• Take Paxil at 8 am and Wellbutrin at 9 am tomorrow
  • Take Paxil at 7 am and Wellbutrin at 9 am the following day
  • And remember, eat breakfast soon after you wake up

Please take notes on how you feel before and after you eat breakfast, after you take Paxil and then after you take Wellbutrin. Please note by moving these drugs apart, the Paxil level may be decreased, so please let us know how you feel. 

You may find this post helpful in doing your journal:

Keep daily notes of drug schedule and symptoms to track patterns and progress

Thanks Shep, I will start incorporating your advice. Do you guys recommend staying the course with my meds for a while? Is there anything else I can be doing or taking to help with my symptoms? 

• Administrator

If nervousness and poor sleep are major concerns, taking Wellbutrin and drinking coffee are prime culprits.

Either can cause sleeplessness on its own. (As can Adderall, but it also has paradoxical effects.)

How long after you increased Wellbutrin to 300mg in late February did you add the Adderall? If you liked the Adderall, why did you go off it? How did you go off? When was the last time you took Adderall?

How do you feel after you drink coffee, between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m.? Please add more detail in your daily notes.

I started the adderall about two weeks after the Wellbutrin. It’s been the only thing that has helped me. Since I’ve been in withdrawal the adderall hasn’t helped at all so I just stopped taking it. The last time I took adderall was a week ago. It’s wierd, the coffee and the adderall when it was working calm me down and I have less brain fog. It’s hard for me to put any Moreno detail into my notes as my symptoms don’t change. I gain a little relief in the morning with my coffee but other than that my symptoms are consistent throughout the day for the most part. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Tpain, please post your drug and symptoms journal every day.

Did you start moving the Paxil and the Wellbutrin apart from each other yet? 

8 hours ago, Tpain said:

The last time I took adderall was a week ago.

Were you taking Adderall daily from late February until the beginning of April? 

4-6 symptoms and drug journal

5 am: woke up, layed in bed until 7am

7am: had a glass of water and coffee. Symptoms are mild headache, major depression, akathesia, extreme fatigue. My brain feels rattled and am always tired.

9 am: ate breakfast biscuit and egg San which. Took my 10 mg of Paxil

10 am: took 300 mg of Wellbutrin. 

1pm: ate lunch

6 pm: ate dinner

10 pm: took 50mg of trazadone 

11 pm: fell asleep 

I did separate my Paxil and Wellbutrin by an hour. I was taking adderall from early March until about ten days ago. 

Can someone please advise me on my meds? I badly need to stabilize so should I just stay with what I am on now until I feel more stable? Any insight into why the adderall helped me but now no longer does since being in withdrawal?

• Administrator

Do you often get a headache after drinking coffee?

What do you mean by akathisia? Does this happen only in the morning, after you drink coffee and before you take Paxil and Wellbutrin? Does it go away later?

We can't answer your question about Adderall. Your drug history is so complicated, we can't tell what caused what.

The headache and akathisia (inner restlessness and irritability) I have for pretty much all day. Ok so basically your saying I am hopeless. Thanks 

• Administrator

What does akathisia feel like to you?

Do you have a headache after you take trazodone? Do you have a headache when you wake up?

How do your symptoms change after you drink coffee?

What is your sleep schedule?

We can't figure out from your history what effect the Adderall had. What difference does it make about Adderall? You stopped taking it because it wasn't doing anything useful. Are you thinking we would tell you to take it again?

Please read questions from the staff carefully and answer them completely so we might be able to help you. If you want to believe you're hopeless, there is no point to continuing this discussion.

I feel like I’ve answered these questions a couple of times.I don’t know what else to say. I thought you would be able to offer some advice but I guess not. It seems like your burnt out from helping people which is fine I shouldn’t expect help from someone I don’t know. 

• Administrator

I am frustrated about trying to get answers to my questions.

I ask questions because I need the answers. I think perhaps some of your symptoms are caused by the drugs you're taking, but you are not giving me enough information to make an informed guess.

If you cannot put in the effort to give complete answers, why should I put in the effort to help you? Please consider whether you have a habit of self-sabotage that does, indeed, make any attempt to help you pointless -- or hopeless, if you prefer.

I apologize for my frustration. Akathisia to me feels like a severe unrest and irrability inside me physically I feel it on my chest. My headache lasts throughout the day. It starts when I wake up. The meds don’t trigger it. After I drink coffee I feel a little calmer and more focused. It gives me a little relief for about an hour. Adderall gives me the same effect. My sleep schedule is I fall asleep around 11 pm and get up around 5 am. Is this enough Info from the questions asked? Thanks for your willingness to help.

• Administrator

You feel this sensation inside your chest? What does it feel like? Do you feel it in other parts of your body? Does it change in intensity at any time of the day?

You have a headache when you wake up, does it go away in the evening? Do you have a headache when you go to sleep, after you take trazodone?

What is the "relief" you feel from coffee? What symptoms return an hour later?

Please incorporate answers to these questions in your daily symptom notes.

Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.