Tpain: Paxil withdraw

Tpain

It’s a mixture of anxiety and akathisia. Can’t expalin it other than an irritable want to crawl out of your own skin feeling. I feel it in my chest and no other part of my body. It is the same intensity throughout the day. The headache is kind of a mild headache that lasts all day. The headache is there from the moment I wake until I go to sleep. When I drink coffee I feel calmer and a lessening if my symptoms (depression, anxiety, akathesia, fatigue etc) and I feel I can focus more. My normal symptoms return after about an hour or so of drinking coffee. 

- late January 2019 was switched from Paxil 30 mg to Lexapro 20 mg after being on Paxil for 17 years. I was experiencing poopout. Was not weened off Paxil. It was a straight switch. Went into major withdrawal. After the withdrawal I went immediately back onto paxil 20 mg.

- late June 2019 - fast tapered Paxil as it wasn't helping and went on Effexor 75 mg’s For three weeks and then 150 mgs for three weeks. 

- late June started 50 mg Trazadone for insomnia 

- mid August 2019- Fast tapered Effexor and went on Zoloft 50 mg for a month and then 100mg for a month

- Mid October- tapered Zoloft, went on 20 mg Paxil 

- early November was put on abilify 2.5mg worked decently (decreased depression and anxiety) but then stopped working after 2 months. 

- early January 2020 weened off abilify as it didn’t work anymore. 

- early February I started Lithium at 300 mg. 

- early February was put on 150 mg of Wellbutrin. and then 300 mg after not feeling any better after 3 weeks. 

- late February was put on adderall after I was diagnosed with adhd. The adderall helped me stabilize (depression and anxiety eased, calmed my brain down and gave me focus.)

- Early March weened down Paxil to 2.5 over two months and weened off of Lithium. Went into withdrawal. 

- Since the withdrawal I bumped up to 10 mg of Paxil to try and reinstate. I am currently on 10 mg of Paxil, 300 mg of Wellbutrin and 50 mg of Trazadone. 

• Administrator

Is this sensation a buzzing or vibration in your chest?

When did you start to get the headache? How long have you had it every day?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The sensation is more of a tightness in my chest. I starting getting the headache about three weeks ago, it almost feels like I am recovering from a concussion. My brain feels scrambled and its a dull ache throughout the day. 

- late January 2019 was switched from Paxil 30 mg to Lexapro 20 mg after being on Paxil for 17 years. I was experiencing poopout. Was not weened off Paxil. It was a straight switch. Went into major withdrawal. After the withdrawal I went immediately back onto paxil 20 mg.

- late June 2019 - fast tapered Paxil as it wasn't helping and went on Effexor 75 mg’s For three weeks and then 150 mgs for three weeks. 

- mid August 2019- Fast tapered Effexor and went on Zoloft 50 mg for a month and then 100mg for a month

- early November was put on abilify 2.5mg worked decently (decreased depression and anxiety) but then stopped working after 2 months. 

- early February was put on 150 mg of Wellbutrin. and then 300 mg after not feeling any better after 3 weeks. 

- late February was put on adderall after I was diagnosed with adhd. The adderall helped me stabilize (depression and anxiety eased, calmed my brain down and gave me focus.)

- Early March weened down Paxil to 2.5 over two months and weened off of Lithium. Went into withdrawal. 

- Since the withdrawal I bumped up to 10 mg of Paxil to try and reinstate. I am currently on 10 mg of Paxil, 300 mg of Wellbutrin and 50 mg of Trazadone. 

Here is the drug interaction that I processed, yikes....   https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1800-1156,2228-0,440-2469

• Administrator

Is 3 weeks ago when you quit Adderall? How often were you taking Adderall, at what dosages?

Is the headache worse after you take Paxil or Wellbutrin?

Please continue to post 24 hours of daily drug schedule and symptom notes.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

4/7 drug and symptom notes

5am: woke up but laid in bed, symptoms upon waking: fatigue, akathisia, depression, headache 

7 am: had water coffee and ate breakfast

9 am: took 10 mg of paxil

10am: took 300 mg of wellbutrin

12:30: ate lunch 

6pm: ate dinner

10: took 50 mg of trazadone

11: fell asleep 

* My symptoms stay the same for the whole day they don’t change much at all

I feel the akathisia in my chest and it feels like tightness. The intensity is pretty high and it lasts for the whole day. I don’t feel it in any other part of my body. the headache lasts for the whole day for the most part. Trazadone doesn’t effect it either way. The coffee just gives me a brief focus and a kind of calmness that goes away after about an hour. My full symptoms then return. I did go through the drug checker and all three medications have major drug interactions with each other, smh. I understand my situation is very confusing and it’s hard to distinguish what could be causing what symptoms. I know I need to get off either the Wellbutrin or the Paxil but maybe I just need to hold my meds right now during this severe withdrawal?

• Moderator Emeritus

Tpain, I'm not sure which is best to reduce now - the Paxil or the Wellbutrin. I'm going to tag Alto for her opinion @Altostrata

What I can do, though, is give you the information you'll need for both so you can start reading and getting supplies. You'll need tapering supplies regardless of which drug you decide to reduce, so you can go ahead and research and order what you need. 

The rate of reduction: 

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The "how-to" for both drugs: 

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL (buproprion)

Decide whether to use a scale, make your own liquid, or use a compounding pharmacy: 

Using a digital scale to measure doses

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Compounding pharmacies (US, UK, and elsewhere)

• Administrator

Please post the link to your drug interaction report.

On 4/7/2020 at 7:17 PM, Altostrata said:

Is 3 weeks ago when you quit Adderall? How often were you taking Adderall, at what dosages?

Need the answer to this question.

Appears you ramped up Wellbutrin and added Adderall at the same time.

Did you reduce Paxil and lithium at the same time and then quit Adderall? Please put when you went off Adderall in your signature.

You said the headache started in mid-March. The drug changes that preceded it in late February and early March are probably related to the headache. Please assist us in clarifying this by carefully reading our questions and answering them as completely as you can.

On 4/8/2020 at 10:44 AM, Tpain said:

5am: woke up but laid in bed, symptoms upon waking: fatigue, akathisia, depression, headache 

7 am: had water coffee and ate breakfast

9 am: took 10 mg of paxil

10am: took 300 mg of wellbutrin

12:30: ate lunch 

6pm: ate dinner

10: took 50 mg of trazadone

11: fell asleep 

You claim there's no change in your symptoms throughout the day yet you also say there's a lull after you have coffee in the morning, which does not appear in your notes. Are there any variations after you take Paxil or Wellbutrin?

Between 10 p.m. and when you fall asleep, are there any changes in your symptoms? Does the headache and buzzing in your chest continue? What is your sleep pattern?

Your symptom pattern is the only guide we have for what's going on. Please put variations in symptom pattern in your notes.

On 4/8/2020 at 1:08 AM, Tpain said:

I feel like I’ve answered these questions a couple of times.I don’t know what else to say. I thought you would be able to offer some advice but I guess not. It seems like your burnt out from helping people which is fine I shouldn’t expect help from someone I don’t know. 

Tpain 

while I understand your frustration especially while suffering Akathisia you need to understand people such as Altostrata spend many many hours helping so many people on this site. And “yes” people that they don’t know because they know what youre going through and want to help. They give so much of themselves to help people like you and I recover from serious WD problems and if it wasn’t for these special

people many of us would be forever stuck on the drug merry go round because doctors don’t have a clue.

Listen to Alto and be respectful. She knows her stuff and will help you. 
Alto helped me at the end of last summer when my symptoms were unbearable and I jumped off the drug merry go round for a couple of days. She helped me see that sticking on meds and stabilising and slow tapering is the only way to successfully getting off these drugs . 
i know how hard it is and unbearable at times but if not for Alto this site wouldn’t even exist. it is by far the best site for information and support. 
good luck to you 

LRH 

Nov 2018 Pregabalin 2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD. Aug 2019 2 x 25mg a day, April 2020 45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg, June 2021 14mg, Jan 2022 14mg (2x7mg a day), Oct 10mg, Nov 5mg, December 25th 2022 0mg 🎈

Oct 2004 - Oct 2018 Paxil 20 mg, Nov 15mg, Dec 10mg,  Feb 2019 7.5mg crashed, Feb 8.5mg, Nov 8mg, March 2020 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, Dec 4.5mg, Jan 2021 4mg, Feb 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg, Aug 2.7mg, Sept 2.4mg, Oct 2.2mg, Nov 2mg, Dec 1.8mg, Feb 2022 1.6mg, March 1.4mg, April 1.2mg, May 1.0mg, June 0.8mg, July 0.6mg, Aug 0.4mg, Sep 0.2mg, October 6th 2022 0mg  🎈

December 25th 2022 drug free 

these dates are approximate