pssd2020

pssd2020: Introduction

pssd2020

Hi everyone

I've suffered with post SSRI sexual dysfunction for the last 7 years. This is obviously a misleading term, as there are other side effects that aren't sexual, such as anhedonia and memory loss, poor cognitive functioning.

I suffered with ED while I was on citalopram, but after I tapered off it, lost all sexuality and all the other stuff. :0(

I wanted to join the forum to get some support from others sufferers, but also because I want to encourage participation in patient surveys which are forming the basis of scientific research into conditions such as PSSD, Post Accutane syndrome and Post Finasteride syndrome. I'm also trying to do my best to network to raise awareness of the condition amongst researchers.

I'll leave that for now, since I guess I'd better let members and moderators get accustomed to me first. :0)

I wish everyone well, especially in this increasingly difficult times, and hope we can work together to make some positive changes.

Gridley

Welcome to SA, pssd2020.

I'm sorry you're suffering from these protracted withdrawal symptoms. Unfortunately, what you're experiencing is all too common even 7 years out. It has been our general experience that eventually these symptoms resolve, but we don't have any kind of timeline we can offer.  PSSD, anhedonia, memory loss and poor cognitive functioning are typical withdrawal symptoms.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list.

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here is some information on protracted withdrawal.

Protracted Withdrawal or PAWS (post-acute withdrawal ...

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Are you on any psychiatric drugs now?

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

pssd2020

Hi Gridley,

alas, I don't think this is going to resolve by itself, although I appreciate that in some very minor cases it can do.

The first time I took SSRI, I recovered after some months, so I assumed that was what happens.

The last time, I wasn't so lucky.

I've made the symptoms far worse recently by briefly taking a supplement called inositol to attempt to reverse the problem. I think I have nerve damage now.

If I had known this was even a slight possibility beforehand, I would never have taken this medication in a million years.

Gridley
12 minutes ago, pssd2020 said:

I think I have nerve damage now.

We have found in our experience that the damage is not permanent.  It would be better for you to think that the damage is not permanent and that you will heal.  Thinking in this way is not pollyanna thinking - thinking doomsday thought puts stress on your system, which you don't need now.  

I would stay away from those sites that say you won't heal.  In my opinion they are wrong and they are digging you a deeper hole.