SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

MollyMac: planning taper off 150mg Wellbutrin XL

MollyMac

15 hours ago, Hanna72 said:

Hi @MollyMac

Yes we all have sadness, it’s human nature. Love your outlook on it

Yes is always passes.

Take care🙏

Thanks Hanna72! 😍 

On Cymbalta for 10 years after PND.  Original dose of 60mg was far too high.  Tapered down over years.  Tricky journey. 

Finally off October 2018. Once over the fallout, haven't looked back. 

• Been on 150mg Prolonged Release Zyban for 3.5 yrs.
  • It comes in blank plastic pouches.
  • The code on the pill is GX CH7.
  • The full pill weight is 0.42 grams.  

Starting tapering journey May 2020.  Cut the tablet into 4 quarters. Found the pill cutter very inexact for this kind of tablet. Sizes varied hugely.

Tried one half in morning and the other 2 quarters at regular intervals. Abandoned that plan fast, as half an immediate release made me feel like I'd had 300 coffees.
Took a quarter every few hours instead. Which meant I dropped by a whole quarter. This had me bumpy for 2 weeks.
31st July - began skipping the middle 1/4 on alternating days. VERY BAD IDEA. Doctor's advice. Thanks to Chessiecat and Altostrata and went back to the 1/4 three times a day. 
15th September went down by 10%;29th October went down by 10%;Mid December will cut 10% again. 
Approx three 10% cuts (pill weight) since January 2021 (2021). Each is pretty bumpy. 
July 2021 - Am now at 0.06 grams (pill weight) x 3 daily. (The whole pill weighs 0.42 grams)
  • 1 month later...

Updating: Went down by 10% about 1.5 weeks ago. Was ok, had a bad day today and yesterday. The exhaustion that makes it impossible to function came back. I haven't had that in a long time. It's why I was put on Wellbutrin. I was also very low, emotional and blank. Better this evening - I forced myself to go for a walk and I went to therapy. Hopefully things will settle again, because my plate is too full, so it's easy to get sad about things even when I feel emotionally balanced. 

Don't you feel like such a whingebag when you get blue? Like, shut up MM. 

On Cymbalta for 10 years after PND.  Original dose of 60mg was far too high.  Tapered down over years.  Tricky journey. 

Starting tapering journey May 2020.  Cut the tablet into 4 quarters. Found the pill cutter very inexact for this kind of tablet. Sizes varied hugely.

Tried one half in morning and the other 2 quarters at regular intervals. Abandoned that plan fast, as half an immediate release made me feel like I'd had 300 coffees.
Took a quarter every few hours instead. Which meant I dropped by a whole quarter. This had me bumpy for 2 weeks.
31st July - began skipping the middle 1/4 on alternating days. VERY BAD IDEA. Doctor's advice. Thanks to Chessiecat and Altostrata and went back to the 1/4 three times a day. 
15th September went down by 10%;29th October went down by 10%;Mid December will cut 10% again. 
Approx three 10% cuts (pill weight) since January 2021 (2021). Each is pretty bumpy. 
July 2021 - Am now at 0.06 grams (pill weight) x 3 daily. (The whole pill weighs 0.42 grams)

The exhaustion really is back again.  Feeling worn out as though I had not eaten or slept in days. Waking feeling blank and sad. Craving sugar. Mood somewhat better this afternoon, but so tired. Intense dreams, night sweats. That strangely sweet-actually-quite-nice-smell-of-baking-biscuits is back once I overheat at night. 

I wonder if the fact that I ate a lot of sugar this weekend a significant contributing factor to this weak feeling and total exhaustion. Back to the old feeling of wanting to have a love affair with my bed. I love my bed. I could spend all day with her.

Talking away to myself, this is a helpful online diary to have. The evenings are when my energy returns. I wonder is it that I ate a large meal? I ate well today though, and my head was dropping at my desk at work. At 4.00pm I was a zombie. Then by 6.00 I'm great again. 

Think I'll get some slow release Vit C to see if it helps with the cortisol levels. 

Better today, which may be down to dragging my sorry ass through some yoga last night. Hated every minute of it, but it may what worked.

Hi Molly. I've found your thread. Like you I feel more energetic and much better at night. It is because the bad feelings of withdrawal start in the morning and fizzle out by evening. Sometimes I try to stay up late because I feel good and more times than not feel lousy when I wake up. I also get a strange smell from night sweats (caused by Mirt w/d), but mine smells not so nice lol, and it burns my skin. It comes on more after a cut. The exhaustion comes in waves for me. I thinks it's funny what you said about your love affair with your bed. I know those fatigue waves so well. Keep up the yoga if you can. Your future self will like you for it because after you're done with your taper you will be fit/stronger at least. That will help a lot. So you were on Cymbalta previously and now tapering Wellbutrin. Which one was harder to taper? Be well. Marie.

10/13--10/14 Ambien. Started tapering 1/14  Jumped 10/14.  Done.                                                                              

3/14        7.5 Remeron  still taking this.                              

2/14         75 Trazodone   -    Tapered by dry cutting all the way down.

1/16        4 mg Trazodone  -  Jumped. Bad mistake. Got hit with late withdrawal 6 weeks later. Reinstated.

4/16        Reinstated 1 mg, updose to 2 mg Trazodone

2/19        .04 Trazodone. Walked off.  Done.

10/3/19  Started 7.5 Mirtazapine taper cut to .073 gram weight, pill weighs .076

4/5/20    New Mirtazapine Taper - Compound Liquid 7.35 mg April '20, 7.25 mg May, 7.05 mg June, 6.99 mg June, 6.78 mg July, 6.57 mg Aug, Sept 6.35 mg, Sept 6.24 mg, Sept 6.21 mg, Oct 5.99 mg, Oct 5.90 mg, Oct 5.70 mg.

1/11/21 6.05 mg Messed up taper due to syringe change. Must remember the 1 ml syringe contains 1.5mg! 1/16/21 5.99 mg

2/21 5.75 mg, 3/21 5.6 mg, 4/7 5.45, 4/14 5.30, 5/12 5.15, 5/25/21 4.99 mg, 6/29 4.87 mg, 7/14/21 4.74 mg, 8/5 4.62 mg 8/17 4.5 mg, 8/30 4.38 mg,9/16 4.26 mg,10/9 4.14 mg, 10/23 4.05 mg, 11/6 3.96 mg,11/17 3.87mg.***Jan 22 Liquid was changed/couldn't tolerate***Changed back to pills. Feb 22/3.9 mg, 2/17/22 3.8 mg, 3/23 3.7 mg, 4/7 3.6 mg, 5/10 3.5mg,6/10/22 3.4 mg, 7/4 3.3 mg, 7/25 3.2 mg, 8/20/22 3.1 mg, 9/15 3 mg, 10/8/22 2.9 mg., 12/15 2.8 mg, 1/6/23 2.7 mg, 2/16/23 2.6 mg, 3/9 2.5 mg, 4/4 2.4 mg, 4/29/23 2.3 mg, 5/26 2.2 mg, 6/22/23 2.1 mg, 10/14 2 mg, 11/12 1.9 mg, 11/28 1.8 mg , 12/14/23 1.7, 12/31/23 1.6 mg, 1/20 1.5 mg, 2/6/24 1.4 mg, 2/12 updose 1.5 mg. Taking multi-vitamin, vit. D, cholestoff, psyllium husk, and fish oil.

Hi Molly,

I was first prescribed Zyban and Cymbalta for depression when I lived in Ireland - so there are at least two of us who were put on it for something other than smoking cessation! You could take a look at my thread where I've talked about reducing Zyban doses for the last year, though it sounds like you've got much better equipment than me so you're probably better set up for this. 

I just wanted to say that it sounds like you're dealing with a lot in life and no wonder you've been feeling exhausted and overwhelmed - you're doing a great job. Sending you good vibes! 

On antidepressants since 2005 when I was 18 for anxiety/depressive disorder.

2005-2009 - I've taken citalopram, sertraline, mirtazapine, fluoxetine, duloxetine, olanzapine, lamotrigine...loads of SSRIs, SNRIs, antipsychotics and some odd ones like agomelatine, too many for me to remember. I also have memory problems, probably as a result of all the meds which I often took together at high doses. I've also taken zopiclone/zolpidem and benzodiazepines in the past to help with sleep. 

Jan 2009-Jan 2013 - Duloxetine and Bupropion, gradually titrated down from the Duloxetine

Jan 2013-Jan 2020 - Zyban (Bupropion) 150mg morning, 150mg evening = 300mg daily

Jan 2020-Feb 2020 - Zyban (Bupropion) 150mg morning, 75mg evening = 225mg daily

Feb 2020-Apr 2020 - Zyban (Bupropion) 75mg morning, 75mg evening = 150mg daily

Apr 2020-Jun 2020 - Zyban (Bupropion) 75mg morning, 37.5mg evening = 112.5mg daily

Jun 2020-Aug 2020 - Zyban (Bupropion) 37.5mg morning, 37.5g evening = 75mg daily

Aug 2020-Sep 2020 - Zyban (Bupropion) 37.5mg morning, 18.75 evening = 56.25mg daily

Sep 2020-Oct 2020 - Zyban (Bupropion) 18.75mg morning, 18.75mg evening = 37.5mg daily 

I stopped taking Zyban completely on 28th October and I'm currently feeling great, no ill effects. 

On 9/23/2020 at 9:21 PM, marie123 said:

Hi Molly. I've found your thread. Like you I feel more energetic and much better at night. It is because the bad feelings of withdrawal start in the morning and fizzle out by evening. Sometimes I try to stay up late because I feel good and more times than not feel lousy when I wake up. I also get a strange smell from night sweats (caused by Mirt w/d), but mine smells not so nice lol, and it burns my skin. It comes on more after a cut. The exhaustion comes in waves for me. I thinks it's funny what you said about your love affair with your bed. I know those fatigue waves so well. Keep up the yoga if you can. Your future self will like you for it because after you're done with your taper you will be fit/stronger at least. That will help a lot. So you were on Cymbalta previously and now tapering Wellbutrin. Which one was harder to taper? Be well. Marie.

Lovely to meet you. Thanks for coming to find me @marie123. I found coming off the Cymbalta far harder. Both the drug itself, and the more ad hoc way I did it. Yes, the staying up late feels lovely at the time - and pure shocking in the morning! It's very nice to meet you!

My exhaustion has eased. My love affair with my bed has gone again. The depression has lifted. So, I am bumpy for at least a month after a taper. Even a small one. It doesn't kick in immediately - but when it does I feel like I have never been anything other than low and exhausted. Like Tiredofdrugs kindly said, there is a lot going on - so that really muddies the waters. But here I am feeling 'ordinary' despite the pressures, as opposed to going under into the fog and crying. 

And my sugar addiction rockets! I made myself hyper after eating 4 bars of toffee. That is bonkers behaviour. I could eat chocolate for days when it strikes. For daaaays.

On 9/30/2020 at 4:11 PM, TiredOfDrugs said:

Hi Molly,

I was first prescribed Zyban and Cymbalta for depression when I lived in Ireland - so there are at least two of us who were put on it for something other than smoking cessation! You could take a look at my thread where I've talked about reducing Zyban doses for the last year, though it sounds like you've got much better equipment than me so you're probably better set up for this. 

I just wanted to say that it sounds like you're dealing with a lot in life and no wonder you've been feeling exhausted and overwhelmed - you're doing a great job. Sending you good vibes! 

Thanks for popping by. I read your thread too. We're Irish Zyban twins! Only I'm ancient - you're only a baby. Thanks for being kind - good vibes back at you!

So, I went down about September 6th - and only back to normal on 2nd of October. I'll stay here for another while and time the next drop so I'm aware of the low mood on the way.

Therapy and yoga and sleep and eating well and doing my damndest to find a moment in each day just for me (not including the hard work of the first three) - these all appear to help get me back on track. God know that in a downer - they all seem pointless. But we keep dragging our sorry asses through the steps - and eventually it works! 

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved your post here: 

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On 10/2/2020 at 11:11 AM, MollyMac said:

Lovely to meet you. Thanks for coming to find me @marie123. I found coming off the Cymbalta far harder. Both the drug itself, and the more ad hoc way I did it. Yes, the staying up late feels lovely at the time - and pure shocking in the morning! It's very nice to meet you!

My exhaustion has eased. My love affair with my bed has gone again. The depression has lifted. So, I am bumpy for at least a month after a taper. Even a small one. It doesn't kick in immediately - but when it does I feel like I have never been anything other than low and exhausted. Like Tiredofdrugs kindly said, there is a lot going on - so that really muddies the waters. But here I am feeling 'ordinary' despite the pressures, as opposed to going under into the fog and crying. 

And my sugar addiction rockets! I made myself hyper after eating 4 bars of toffee. That is bonkers behaviour. I could eat chocolate for days when it strikes. For daaaays.

Thanks for popping by. I read your thread too. We're Irish Zyban twins! Only I'm ancient - you're only a baby. Thanks for being kind - good vibes back at you!

So, I went down about September 6th - and only back to normal on 2nd of October. I'll stay here for another while and time the next drop so I'm aware of the low mood on the way.

Therapy and yoga and sleep and eating well and doing my damndest to find a moment in each day just for me (not including the hard work of the first three) - these all appear to help get me back on track. God know that in a downer - they all seem pointless. But we keep dragging our sorry asses through the steps - and eventually it works! 

Hi MM, I can identify with the sugar addiction - I've put on 12kg in the last 7 months! It may be partially due to lockdown and not moving around so much, gym closing etc, but there's definitely an element of eating anything sweet that I can find...

Well done for keeping yourself on track despite the wobbly moments, I'm amazed at your discipline! 

2005-2009 - I've taken citalopram, sertraline, mirtazapine, fluoxetine, duloxetine, olanzapine, lamotrigine...loads of SSRIs, SNRIs, antipsychotics and some odd ones like agomelatine, too many for me to remember. I also have memory problems, probably as a result of all the meds which I often took together at high doses. I've also taken zopiclone/zolpidem and benzodiazepines in the past to help with sleep. 

Jan 2009-Jan 2013 - Duloxetine and Bupropion, gradually titrated down from the Duloxetine

Jan 2013-Jan 2020 - Zyban (Bupropion) 150mg morning, 150mg evening = 300mg daily

Apr 2020-Jun 2020 - Zyban (Bupropion) 75mg morning, 37.5mg evening = 112.5mg daily

Jun 2020-Aug 2020 - Zyban (Bupropion) 37.5mg morning, 37.5g evening = 75mg daily

Aug 2020-Sep 2020 - Zyban (Bupropion) 37.5mg morning, 18.75 evening = 56.25mg daily

Sep 2020-Oct 2020 - Zyban (Bupropion) 18.75mg morning, 18.75mg evening = 37.5mg daily 

I stopped taking Zyban completely on 28th October and I'm currently feeling great, no ill effects. 

12 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

I've moved your post here: 

Thanks for moderating and house-keeping @ChessieCat. I appreciate that. xx

• 2 weeks later...

Today, 29th October 2020, I'm going down by another 10%. The mood had been fine for a few weeks, then really good for a few days - I guess that's a window. Then it took a teary, low, sad nose dive. It seems to coincide with having time off. The first 2 days off were great - I was so contented. Then the 3rd day and the combination of knowing I have to get back to it all, coupled with the lack of a daily timetable - meant I got really sad. Actually, I'm guessing why that is. I really don't know. My friend says she hates Sunday mornings too, the getting mentally ready to get back into it all (also a working single parent), and it made me feel better. I'm trying hard to not fall into old habits of berating myself for not managing my moods better.

That said, there is no doubt that I am not having the same extremes of emotion. Those emotional spasms I would get where I was stuck in a panic of sadness, worry or even anger. On one hand, my personal life has improved - so it may be that - but on the other - I just appear to be a calmer person. It's very hard to tell what causes what, isn't it?

As a woman, being on the pill really helps me. Any hormonal fluctuations are very evident with me. Very. 

So - let's see what the dip causes. If my calculations are correct, in about 2 weeks I'll be eating a heck tonne of sugar and feeling lousy. 

Well, I have done a thing that makes me really cross with myself. I have accidentally missed a dose three, maybe four days over the last week.  I usually have an alarm that goes off 3 times a day, but a combo of being on midterm with the children, still working, and just feeling unmoored, I got it wrong all over the place. And i'm usually so good!  So, I have kickstarted the drop by 10% by dropping doses all over the place. Then, this evening I was sitting with my partner and the smallest thing made me suddenly feel completely switched off and cross. I was having a lovely evening, everything was great. It's one of my very rare days off, and now I'm low and sad and cross. 

Ok, time to be kind to myself. This is a wave, isn't it? I made a mistake. That happens. I have a crazy busy life. It was an accident. If I want to cry - which I do - then just cry. I feel like the world wants to criticise me. Like I did when I was little. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello MollyMac,  Good to see you posting and journaling/updating regularly,

On 10/31/2020 at 4:19 PM, MollyMac said:

Well, I have done a thing that makes me really cross with myself. I have accidentally missed a dose three, maybe four days over the last week.  I usually have an alarm that goes off 3 times a day, but a combo of being on midterm with the children, still working, and just feeling unmoored, I got it wrong all over the place. And i'm usually so good!  So, I have kickstarted the drop by 10% by dropping doses all over the place. Then, this evening I was sitting with my partner and the smallest thing made me suddenly feel completely switched off and cross. I was having a lovely evening, everything was great. It's one of my very rare days off, and now I'm low and sad and cross. 

Ok, time to be kind to myself. This is a wave, isn't it? I made a mistake. That happens. I have a crazy busy life. It was an accident. If I want to cry - which I do - then just cry. I feel like the world wants to criticise me. Like I did when I was little. 

And yes, you are human.  Be ever so kind to yourself.   I found a topic even, that might help.  I do the same from time to time........doing better with it now though.  Yay!

Shame, guilt, regret and self-criticism

AND, you are learning how each taper affects you too!  That can come in really helpful.

Were you able to find more Wellbutrin in your country?

You are doing great.  Rooting for you, way over here in the States.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

5 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Hello MollyMac,  Good to see you posting and journaling/updating regularly,

And yes, you are human.  Be ever so kind to yourself.   I found a topic even, that might help.  I do the same from time to time........doing better with it now though.  Yay!

Shame, guilt, regret and self-criticism

AND, you are learning how each taper affects you too!  That can come in really helpful.

Were you able to find more Wellbutrin in your country?

You are doing great.  Rooting for you, way over here in the States.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Thank you so much for replying. You are so kind, and it really works. Feeling positively buoyed by your post. I found one chemist with enough for 3 months. After that, we'll see!

Well done for getting to where you are MM - wobbly days are normal and part of the process, and it's impossible to do this perfectly, especially without professional support. And I'm so glad you found a pharmacy who can supply you for the next three months! 

On 11/6/2020 at 10:36 AM, TiredOfDrugs said:

Well done for getting to where you are MM - wobbly days are normal and part of the process, and it's impossible to do this perfectly, especially without professional support. And I'm so glad you found a pharmacy who can supply you for the next three months! 

Thank you Tiredofdrugs. 

Can I ask you, how much did you notice your Zyban drops? I'm low and irritable, blank and just not contented. I seem to be one the those people who notice every tiny drop. It was only a drop of 10% - and last time I thought I didn't notice the drop so much until 2 weeks later. Now I can't stop eating sugar. And my procrastination is soooooo bad. I take care of the meals, the food shops, etc - but I just want to retire from the world to a quiet place far from everyone. I feel so low. There's so much to do, it never ends. If I had a PA - they'd have too much to do!

43 minutes ago, MollyMac said:

Thank you Tiredofdrugs. 

Can I ask you, how much did you notice your Zyban drops? I'm low and irritable, blank and just not contented. I seem to be one the those people who notice every tiny drop. It was only a drop of 10% - and last time I thought I didn't notice the drop so much until 2 weeks later. Now I can't stop eating sugar. And my procrastination is soooooo bad. I take care of the meals, the food shops, etc - but I just want to retire from the world to a quiet place far from everyone. I feel so low. There's so much to do, it never ends. If I had a PA - they'd have too much to do!

Hi MM, 

I didn't notice mine at all, but to be honest my mood has been pretty up and down through this whole lockdown period, which for me has been since mid March - I have days of mood swings, being very tired, getting into stupid fights with my partner over things that shouldn't bother me...the one thing that has endured is wanting sugar all the time, but that's not linked to the drops either. 

I've been quite low all summer, and not contented, but then I wonder is it because I'm not doing the things that make me happy, like going out and meeting my friends, or getting exercise? I'm reluctant to blame the drugs when we have a global pandemic, I just can't tease them apart! I've come off other drugs where the drops have been awful, but I haven't had that on the Zyban, thankfully. 

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I'm not surprised you're only doing what feels like the bare minimum - but I bet what you're doing would look like a lot to many people who aren't single mums! Single mums are superheroes even when things are going well, and things are not at their best right now. I have so much admiration for you! 

45 minutes ago, TiredOfDrugs said:

Hi MM, 

I didn't notice mine at all, but to be honest my mood has been pretty up and down through this whole lockdown period, which for me has been since mid March - I have days of mood swings, being very tired, getting into stupid fights with my partner over things that shouldn't bother me...the one thing that has endured is wanting sugar all the time, but that's not linked to the drops either. 

I've been quite low all summer, and not contented, but then I wonder is it because I'm not doing the things that make me happy, like going out and meeting my friends, or getting exercise? I'm reluctant to blame the drugs when we have a global pandemic, I just can't tease them apart! I've come off other drugs where the drops have been awful, but I haven't had that on the Zyban, thankfully. 

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I'm not surprised you're only doing what feels like the bare minimum - but I bet what you're doing would look like a lot to many people who aren't single mums! Single mums are superheroes even when things are going well, and things are not at their best right now. I have so much admiration for you! 

Thank you for being so kind. :)

Oh I have done so much of the getting into silly fights! Another reason I know I'm in a bad phase is that I'm arguing with the world in my head. I have learned to keep my mouth shut around my partner (we don't live together - so it's easier!), but only because I have learned that my moods are just that - a mood. I'm stuck in it, but I do my best to not go galloping down the road of the thing that has bothered me. I try. When I wasn't on the pill, my PMT was so bad we would spend 7/10 days a month arguing. It changed me into another person. It was horrible. My GP wants me off the pill due to my age - but the alternative is NOT worth it. It may have been the zyban making it worse now that I come to think of it. I'm definitely suffering less from fight or flight anxiety since going down bit by bit from the Zyban. It took SO long to twig that it was the thing making me anxious. 

I'm sorry you have have been feeling up and down since lockdown. It has been the weirdest time. I too could eat sugar all day long. It's the strongest addiction of all. Sending you a big hug.

Feeling not great, but I am under so much pressure it's not funny. There's not a moment in the day that I'm not running cooking, cleaning, forgetting to check homework, work, driving, car breaking down, remembering to sign/pay for/supervise/sign/pay for/supervise, food shop, letting the dog out, letting the cat, in reverse that again, driving, work, clean up dog pee, collect from school, talk to school, get Xmas presents, work, work, work, laundry, cook, laundry, cook, exercise , dealing with a teen girl and her phone and a son who wants to stay on Fortnite - it's too much. So today and the last few days I'm waking so sad. The car has broken down and so has my kid's laptop for school and there is no one to help. Depression and sadness and anxiety and irritability and anger are a logical response to a life that is too much. And when I do get a rare bit of time off, returning to my life starts a deep process of grieving. And there's nothing I can do to improve this. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so it's 26th Nov and I'm probably due another drop. Mood is fine. Not great, but it's November. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi MollyMac,

How long since your last taper?  And by how much would you be going down this time?

Almost December and that feels unbelievable.  Time sometimes flies.  Is it chilly now in Ireland?  It looks so green and beautiful there, at least in pictures I have seen, or in movies.

Oh best, I say eat pie.  Pie is the answer.  B)  Whipped cream on top helps too.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

On 11/27/2020 at 11:44 PM, manymoretodays said:

Hi MollyMac,

How long since your last taper?  And by how much would you be going down this time?

Almost December and that feels unbelievable.  Time sometimes flies.  Is it chilly now in Ireland?  It looks so green and beautiful there, at least in pictures I have seen, or in movies.

Oh best, I say eat pie.  Pie is the answer.  B)  Whipped cream on top helps too.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Hello MMD! It's - as we say here - fierce damp. Rain, rain, always with the rain. It's how we stay so green! Thank you for checking on me. It means a lot.

I last went down by 10% on October 31st. I'm currently on 0.095 of a gram three times a day.  I intend to go down by 10% again. What do you think?

I had a bit of a scare because there is no more Wellbutrin to be had in Ireland. I managed to find 90 tablets in one pharmacy, they posted it to me. But I'm nervous of a fast taper needed if I run out. I will find out in December -  hopefully - if it's coming back. In the mean time I will carry on as if it will.

How are you doing these days? Belated Happy Thanksgiving. :) 

Tried to update my signature with all my tapering- but it ended up in the About Me section. I'll work it out. It's late here now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Link direct to your drug signature.  Remember to Save (below box)

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On 11/8/2020 at 10:38 PM, MollyMac said:

Thank you for being so kind. :)

Oh I have done so much of the getting into silly fights! Another reason I know I'm in a bad phase is that I'm arguing with the world in my head. I have learned to keep my mouth shut around my partner (we don't live together - so it's easier!), but only because I have learned that my moods are just that - a mood. I'm stuck in it, but I do my best to not go galloping down the road of the thing that has bothered me. I try. When I wasn't on the pill, my PMT was so bad we would spend 7/10 days a month arguing. It changed me into another person. It was horrible. My GP wants me off the pill due to my age - but the alternative is NOT worth it. It may have been the zyban making it worse now that I come to think of it. I'm definitely suffering less from fight or flight anxiety since going down bit by bit from the Zyban. It took SO long to twig that it was the thing making me anxious. 

I'm sorry you have have been feeling up and down since lockdown. It has been the weirdest time. I too could eat sugar all day long. It's the strongest addiction of all. Sending you a big hug.

Arguing with the world in your head! Such a good way of putting it, that's what I've been experiencing too. 

I've been off Zyban completely for a month now and feeling much more emotionally stable, less anxious and sleeping better. Thank you for the hug - sending one right back at you! 

On 11/12/2020 at 8:45 AM, MollyMac said:

Feeling not great, but I am under so much pressure it's not funny. There's not a moment in the day that I'm not running cooking, cleaning, forgetting to check homework, work, driving, car breaking down, remembering to sign/pay for/supervise/sign/pay for/supervise, food shop, letting the dog out, letting the cat, in reverse that again, driving, work, clean up dog pee, collect from school, talk to school, get Xmas presents, work, work, work, laundry, cook, laundry, cook, exercise , dealing with a teen girl and her phone and a son who wants to stay on Fortnite - it's too much. So today and the last few days I'm waking so sad. The car has broken down and so has my kid's laptop for school and there is no one to help. Depression and sadness and anxiety and irritability and anger are a logical response to a life that is too much. And when I do get a rare bit of time off, returning to my life starts a deep process of grieving. And there's nothing I can do to improve this. 

You're right, that's so much that you're dealing with right now! I'm so glad you're recognising the weight of all of that and that feeling depressed is a normal response to it all, and I'm so sorry that you're carrying that weight alone. 

Grief is important work and it takes time too. You'll get to the other side. 

16 hours ago, MollyMac said:

I last went down by 10% on October 31st. I'm currently on 0.095 of a gram three times a day.  I intend to go down by 10% again. What do you think?

Hi Molly Mac, 

I am following your tapering of Wellbutrin. I am very interested since I have been tapering Wellbutrin over the last 3 years. Right now I am taking 33,3 mg per day, divided over 4 portions of approximately 8mg each. I cannot taper any further since I found out that the low dose of Prozac I am still taking (and tapering) might cause the extreme withdrawal effects I get when I go down with the Wellbutrin. (if you are interested, you can read my introduction topic)

I do not really understand how much Wellbutrin you are taking right now. I read that you started to taper from 150 mg and that you went 3 times down with 10%. That would mean that you would be taking approximately  109 mg per day. Divided over 3 portions per day, that would be 36,5 mg per portion. But you write that you take 95 mg three times per day. That would be 285 mg per day, which is more then you started with. Or do you mean three times 9,5mg per day, which would be only 28,5 mg per day in total. In that case you are taking only 1/5 of a 150mg pill per day...  

I am very curious how much you already tapered. Maybe you can explain how much of 1 pill (of 150mg) you are taking?

Wish you lots of succes with your tapering. 

Love Eric

1993    Anafranil (Clomipramine) for a few months. Later in 1993 Paxil for a few months 1993- 2006      No medication

2006   Effexor, Cymbalta, some Benzo’s. All for short periods. Later in 2006 Lexapro (escitalopram) 10 mg and shortly after Wellbutrin XR 150mg, against side effects Lexapro 

Since 2006 until end of 2015: Several times on and off Lexapro and Wellbutrin and several slight dosage changes. Mostly taken dosages: 5mg Lexapro and 150mg Wellbutrin

2016  Dosage change Lexapro from 5mg to 2,5 mg. Wellbutrin stayed om 150mg

November 2016 – April 2017 Down from 2,5mg to 0,6mg Lexapro (in steps) without much problems. Wellbutrin down from 150mg to 66mg. Also without much problems.

April 2017 – March 2019       Lexapro 0,6 mg        April 2017 - August 2018       Wellbutrin in small steps down from 66mg in to 37,5 mg . Quite heavy WD after each step.

March 2019 – May 2019 Lexapro down from 0,6 to 0,3mg then Prozac to 0,6 mg switch because severe discontinuation effects (may also have been from Wellbutrin..)    

Wellbutrin down from 37,5mg to 35,3mg 

October 2019        Seroquel 12,5 mg for 4 weeks because of extreme sleeping problems, then weaning off in 2 weeks       Prozac up dosage to 1,2 mg

March 2020     Wellbutrin in 2 steps down from 35,3mg to 33,3mg   Extreme withdrawal effects during 8 months. Stopped tapering Wellbutrin  until total off Prozac. 

February 2020 – November 2020   Prozac down in steps from 1,2mg to 0,57mg. 

Jan 2021  Prozac down to:  0,55> 0,53>0,51mg,   Feb 0,47mg ,  Mar 0,42mg,   Apr 0,37, longer hold because of WD symptoms July 0,36 and hold again, Sept 19 0,35, Sept 26 0,34mg, Oct 3 0,33mg  Long hold of 172 days until March 2022

January 20, 2022:  Wellbutrin from 33,3 to 32,3mg

March 22, 2022 Prozac down from 0,33mg to: 0,30mg, Apr 0,29, May 0,28, 0,27, June 0,26, 0,25, July 0,24, 0,23, 0,22, 0,21, Aug 0,20, 0,19 Sep 0,18, Oct 0,17. 0,16, 0,15, Nov 0,14  Jan 2023 0,13, 0,12, 0,11  Feb 0,10, 0,09 Mar 0,08 ,  June 0,07 , July 0,06,  0,05, Aug 0,04, 0,03, Sept 0,026, 0,024 Nov 0,022, 0,019, 0,016, 0,013 Dec 0,012, 0,011, 0,010, 0,009   Jan 2024 0,008, 0,007,  0,006,  0,005, 0,004, 0,003, 0,002, 0,001, Feb  0,0007.  0,0005,   0,0003, 0,0001,  

Feb 23, 2024:  0,00000

Supplements: Fish Oil (3000mg), Magnesium 100 mg, 2 drops of Lavender Oil, only when feeling extreme anxiety. 50mg of L-Theanine only when severe discontinuation effects caused by Wellbutrin

Please note this is NOT a medical advice. Discuss all your medical issues with a doctor who understands psychical drugs and really knows how to withdraw from them. I wish that you will find one.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/28/2020 at 5:08 PM, MollyMac said:

I had a bit of a scare because there is no more Wellbutrin to be had in Ireland. I managed to find 90 tablets in one pharmacy, they posted it to me. But I'm nervous of a fast taper needed if I run out. I will find out in December -  hopefully - if it's coming back. In the mean time I will carry on as if it will.

Hi MollyMac,

What does the 0.095 gram equate to in mg's or milligrams of active ingredient/dosage?

Are you generally doing okay with the 10% tapers?

Is there a pattern to WD symptoms usually after each taper? 

I mean that's what I found, tapering my last medication, which wasn't even an AD, but a psychotropic.  I'd get certain symptoms, and then they'd fade out by such and such a time, and I'd do okay.  I still had WD going on, but it was doable.  And then I began doing 10% at 2 week intervals.

Each of us is unique though, a N= 1, as Alto says.  So, important to know your own patterns after reductions.

And yes then, fingers crossed, December is the day after tomorrow.

And yes, get some dates and doses in your signature, when you've had some rest. 

If needed, lay it out here, on your introduction, what a specific dose tablet weighs, and then how much you take in weight, with each dose.  I could figure out the dose from the starting weight and whole tablet.

We are doing okay here.  Busy.  Minus one cat, dear Betsey Ross.  Adjusting.  I get busy with all kinds of stuff.  Hoping for snow.  I'm kind of happy about the Christmas season too, this year......the lights, the trees, the just something other than Co-vid all the time. 

Back soon, when I see you posting.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

On 11/30/2020 at 4:18 AM, manymoretodays said:

Hi MollyMac,

What does the 0.095 gram equate to in mg's or milligrams of active ingredient/dosage? See below.

Are you generally doing okay with the 10% tapers? Emmm... I definitely notice that things get hard. My life is toooo busy for me, but when I cut I start to sink. Days like today - I'm in good form. Much of that is down to the fact that I'm paying attention to being mindful, etc a few times a day. Only small things, but they do make a difference.

Is there a pattern to WD symptoms usually after each taper?  Feeling like a miserable, heart racing misery faced misery. That about sums it up! :) 

Sorry, I got mixed up with weight of the tablet and the fact that it's called a 150 mg tablet. I'm on 3 capsules a day, each containing 0.095g of the meds.

So that's a total of 0.285g per day. 

For scale, 1 full tablet is 0.42g. See image below. 

Thank you Go2Zero, MMD, Chessiecat and Tiredofdrugs for your input. I very much appreciate it. I've held off on the next cut until early next week. I'll go down by another 10% then. 

May you all be well. xx

aaaaa.jpg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey MM,

This is what I come up with from the information that you provided above.  Hey, and awesome to include a weighing photo even!

So....You are still working with the WellbutrinXL, right? 

And it is a 150 mg dose strength tablet.

Weighing in at .42 on your scale, or 420 mgpw(this stands for milligrams of pill weight)

So then you must be crushing and then weighing and filling capsules for your 3 doses/day.

Present daily dose of 0.285 g or 285 mgpw

Which came out to be 101.78 mgai(this one stands for milligrams active ingredient) per day in dose.

You had started this taper back in May of 2020 at 150 mg WellbutrinXL, and so now are down to 101.78 mg.

Which totals to about a 32% reduction, overall. 

That's great MM.  We do recommend the taper be based on each previous dose, and I think you have been doing that......I just wanted to look at how far you have come, and how well you are doing with this all.  I know you ARE having WDsymptoms, and I'm not discounting those, I just mean as far as understanding, and going slowly.  And even working with not being able to get any other form of Wellbutrin.

So....I think you are doing great.

3 hours ago, MollyMac said:

Sorry, I got mixed up with weight of the tablet and the fact that it's called a 150 mg tablet. I'm on 3 capsules a day, each containing 0.095g of the meds.

Thank you Go2Zero, MMD, Chessiecat and Tiredofdrugs for your input. I very much appreciate it. I've held off on the next cut until early next week. I'll go down by another 10% then. 

So now, when you go to update your signature.......you can put in your current dose, again, that is 101.78 mgai, and the date you tapered to that.  Do that with the date first, then the dose.  You might also note what your starting taper dose was in 2020, May.

So now, we've got good numbers to work with for your calculations going forward too.

You can calculate another 10% taper right from the 285 mgpw or from the dose 101.78 mgai

What we will most often want to know, or have you record on update with, is the dose,  or dose strength that you are taking......the 101.78 mgai now.

So 285mgpw multiplied by .90 = 256.5 mgpw

And that's for your daily dose, you are going to have to divide it by 3, for your weights and doses, if you want to keep going with 10% tapers.

256.5 divided by 3 = 85.5 mgpw per dose

Also, I switched from what you see on your scale readout to milligrams pw.

What you want to see on your scale when you are getting capsules ready to be filled, for each dose is then .085.

Are you wanting, at all to do less of a taper than 10%, at this point MM?  I just thought I would ask.  It sounds like you are okay doing another 10%.

And, I always want someone to double check my math too, so I will tag @brassmonkeyhere too.

Get your signature updated.  Just the dates and doses.  And, keep updating.

Rooting for you as always, I know it can be tough at times, very tough.  You are a super trooper and I wish I could give you a vacation.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

And I hope you are not completely confused yet.

A+ MMT. Your math looks good.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for checking brassmonkey, and thank you.  A+ to you too! 

7 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

A+ MMT. Your math looks good.

Thank you to both of you, @brassmonkey and @manymoretodays. Your math does look good. It will take me several goes to understand it! I really appreciate the level of detail. I will study it and enter it all into my signature. 

MMD - thank you for the advice and all the work you put into that. And especially thanks for the encouragment. I am ready for another 10%. Especially as it will coincide with some time off over the holidays. I'll make sure to get out for walks. 

Mind yourself too. x

• ChessieCat changed the title to MollyMac: planning taper off 150mg Wellbutrin XL
On 12/7/2020 at 8:34 PM, MollyMac said:

I do not understand the weight of your pills MollyMac. See my picture. I use Wellbutrin XR 150 mg pills (original Glaxo Smith Kline) (which I cut into 18 pieces). These pills weigh 190 mg, including their skin and filling material (see image below). 

You show a total pill weight of 420 mg. Are you shure these are original Wellbutrin XR 150 mg pills? I don't get it how you can come up with more then twice the weight of my pills. It could also be that you need to calibrate your scales?

569769408_wellbutrin150mg.thumb.jpg.1f3a102d80055fd3276b2ea43b57ec8f.jpg

Edited by Go2zero

1993    Anafranil (Clomipramine) for a few months. Later in 1993 Paxil for a few months 1993- 2006      No medication

2006   Effexor, Cymbalta, some Benzo’s. All for short periods. Later in 2006 Lexapro (escitalopram) 10 mg and shortly after Wellbutrin XR 150mg, against side effects Lexapro 

Since 2006 until end of 2015: Several times on and off Lexapro and Wellbutrin and several slight dosage changes. Mostly taken dosages: 5mg Lexapro and 150mg Wellbutrin

November 2016 – April 2017 Down from 2,5mg to 0,6mg Lexapro (in steps) without much problems. Wellbutrin down from 150mg to 66mg. Also without much problems.

April 2017 – March 2019       Lexapro 0,6 mg        April 2017 - August 2018       Wellbutrin in small steps down from 66mg in to 37,5 mg . Quite heavy WD after each step.

March 2019 – May 2019 Lexapro down from 0,6 to 0,3mg then Prozac to 0,6 mg switch because severe discontinuation effects (may also have been from Wellbutrin..)    

October 2019        Seroquel 12,5 mg for 4 weeks because of extreme sleeping problems, then weaning off in 2 weeks       Prozac up dosage to 1,2 mg

March 2020     Wellbutrin in 2 steps down from 35,3mg to 33,3mg   Extreme withdrawal effects during 8 months. Stopped tapering Wellbutrin  until total off Prozac. 

Jan 2021  Prozac down to:  0,55> 0,53>0,51mg,   Feb 0,47mg ,  Mar 0,42mg,   Apr 0,37, longer hold because of WD symptoms July 0,36 and hold again, Sept 19 0,35, Sept 26 0,34mg, Oct 3 0,33mg  Long hold of 172 days until March 2022

March 22, 2022 Prozac down from 0,33mg to: 0,30mg, Apr 0,29, May 0,28, 0,27, June 0,26, 0,25, July 0,24, 0,23, 0,22, 0,21, Aug 0,20, 0,19 Sep 0,18, Oct 0,17. 0,16, 0,15, Nov 0,14  Jan 2023 0,13, 0,12, 0,11  Feb 0,10, 0,09 Mar 0,08 ,  June 0,07 , July 0,06,  0,05, Aug 0,04, 0,03, Sept 0,026, 0,024 Nov 0,022, 0,019, 0,016, 0,013 Dec 0,012, 0,011, 0,010, 0,009   Jan 2024 0,008, 0,007,  0,006,  0,005, 0,004, 0,003, 0,002, 0,001, Feb  0,0007.  0,0005,   0,0003, 0,0001,  

Supplements: Fish Oil (3000mg), Magnesium 100 mg, 2 drops of Lavender Oil, only when feeling extreme anxiety. 50mg of L-Theanine only when severe discontinuation effects caused by Wellbutrin

Please note this is NOT a medical advice. Discuss all your medical issues with a doctor who understands psychical drugs and really knows how to withdraw from them. I wish that you will find one.

I just thought that there might be a difference in weight since you say that you use Wellbutrin XL 150 mg. The one I use is called Wellbutrin XR. But I find that the XL and XR both have the same code printed on the pill  (GS5FV) so the XL and XR seem to be the same versions of Wellbutrin (extends release).

I wanted to upload another photo which shows the XL version with the same pill code as my XR has. Bit in some strange way I cannot upload a photo anymore... Here is a link to the website where you can see the photo of the XL version.

https://alldaychemist.co.com/product/wellbutrin-xl-150-mg/

What code is on you pills MollyMac?