Lzieb: Zoloft 25mg 6 days

Lzieb

Hi, I want to stop using this awful drug. My doctor wants me to try something else. I don't want to try anything but stopping. I have only been on 25mg of Zoloft for 6 days. Can I just quit? I need help

Edited by Shep
added username to titel

LZie, Zoloft 25 mg, 3/31/20-4/6/20

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Lzieb.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

If you don't have a history of taking psychiatric drugs and this is the only exposure you've had to psychiatric drugs, then yes, it's safe to stop taking this drug after only 6 days. It takes about one month to develop dependency. It sounds like you may be having an adverse reaction. 

Please let us know how you're feeling. What symptoms are you having? 

Every bad symptom you can think of. It has definitely made me more anxious and manic...I can't sleep, I can't stop clenching my teeth, my head feels like it's going to explode, my OCD flared up a bit, I had a thought of harming someone I love last night (that was the last straw for me), it's just not good...I've never felt like that before.

I started the medicine because I was not ok last week with everything going on with this covid virus...i was having panic attacks and just wasn't myself but I think this was too aggressive for me. I have struggled with anxiety and panic attacks for years but this was the worst. It was a tipping scale. 

I do feel I need something. I have done st John's wort in the past when I had PPD and it really helped. I am going to try CBT and I started counseling.  Do you know how many days after I stop this medicine that I can start SJW?

I am afraid of stopping because the medicine messed me up so much but I can't be on it. I have never thought of harming anyone before...will that go away once I'm off it? I don't ever want to feel like that again...i don't want any of these types of medicines. I feel more imbalanced on it, then I do off it! The doctor prescribed as needed atarax (sp) so I'm going to use that to get over the transition before I start back up on SJW.

Anyway thanks for your help

• Moderator Emeritus
2 minutes ago, Lzieb said:

I have done st John's wort in the past when I had PPD and it really helped.

What is PPD?

When is the last time you took St. John's wort? Have you taken it while taking Zoloft? 

Please see:

St. John's Wort (Hypericum Perforatum)

Post partum depression. No I haven't taken it this time. I know I can't be on both of them. I want to clear my system and either try 5htp of SJW but I don't know how long I have to wait

Also the doctor thought trying Prozac would be better. He feels like I have an imbalance right now. I don't want to try drugs to balance it but I don't think I have one...I just need short term help to get over the hump. Is there any suggestions you could make on what I can do instead? I don't want them pumping me with every medicine under the sun. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please note the chemical imbalance theory has been debunked. Please see:

Again, chemical imbalance is a myth. Stop the lies, please.

You may want to read Dr. Kelly Brogan's blog. She's a holistic psychiatrist who's very aware that there is no chemical imbalance and writes about healthy eating, exercise, supplements, etc. Please note we don't advocate the use of any supplements other than magnesium and fish oil because so many people going through withdrawal have a hyper-sensitive nervous system, but her writing on postpartum depression may be helpful: 

What Causes Postpartum Depression?

Depression: It’s Not Your Serotonin

19 minutes ago, Lzieb said:

Every bad symptom you can think of. It has definitely made me more anxious and manic...I can't sleep, I can't stop clenching my teeth, my head feels like it's going to explode, my OCD flared up a bit, I had a thought of harming someone I love last night (that was the last straw for me), it's just not good...I've never felt like that before.

I would stop this drug immediately. These are classic adverse reactions to a SSRI. 

You may find some helpful information to handle your symptoms here: 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Are you currently taking any supplements? If so, please list the name and dose and what time(s) of the day you take them. 

Post partum depression. No I haven't taken it this time. I know I can't be on both of them. I want to clear my system and either try 5htp of SJW but I don't know how long I have to wait

Ok, I understand. I have been on magnesium but that's it. Last time my B's were low so I was thinking of doing that too with the fish oil and magnesium.

Thanks for your reply. Doctor's can really make you freak out with what they say sometimes and I feel the medicine they give only makes everything worse.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please start on a low dose of the B vitamins and work your way up. Having a lot of manic-type symptoms means you may hyper-react to B vitamins, which some people find stimulating. These threads may help:

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

Vitamin B12: essential for mood, nervous system

Hypersensitive to B vitamin or B vitamin complex?

Are you able to eat foods high in B vitamins? A lot of us find that less stimulating than adding in a supplement, at least while your nervous system is still hyper-sensitive. 

So that other mods and members can easily see your history, please place the dates you were on Zoloft in your signature. A direct link to your signature is here:

Account Settings - Create or Update Your Signature

It can take awhile for an adverse reaction to go away, so please do as much self care as you can. If you're having a lot of teeth grinding, you may want to get a night guard either through your dentist or at a drug store. You can also buy them online. You wear it at night and it will protect your teeth when you're sleeping. May save you some dental work in the future. 

Please let us know how you're doing over the coming days. 

I will look into all the links. The doctor certainly makes it seem worse with terms like imbalance. It makes things that are scary, scarier.

I can see they just want to give me a cocktail of things but I want another way. I am going to look into CBT and some of the other suggestions you mentioned

I just don't ever want to think about harming someone again, will that go away now that I'm off it? It only happened once and was quick but it was scary as heck.

I will definitely keep you posted. Thx

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh yes, it will go away. 

But it's in a wave and windows pattern, good days, bad days, good moments, bad moments, until you finally recover. Please see:

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

It can take a number of months, so please do as much self care as you can. 

You mention CBT, and there are free resources available online. You can find a number of resources by googling. Please see: 

Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for anxiety, depression, or withdrawal symptoms

You may also want to check out mindfulness. 

Free - Online Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)

And there are thousands of YouTube videos with mindfulness talks and guided sleep meditations. Here is more on mindfulness and breathing: 

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Mindfulness and Acceptance

Pranayama Breathing for Anxiety and Depression

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, as a reminder I only took Zoloft for 6 days before I quit cold turkey. The assumption was that there would be little to no withdrawal symptoms...that is definitely not the case. Today is my 10th day and I am still having a hard time with withdrawal. Is it possible I could have long term issues after only being on 25mg for 6 days?

My symptoms so far are anxiety, panic attacks and hyperventilating (new for me), chest pressure like I'm having a heart attack, headache, mood swings and imbalance, tremors, insomnia, brain fog and zaps, crying fits, restlessness, nasal congestion and shortness of breath...I think that's everything

Why would I be having such a hard time on such a little dose for only a few days? Will it get better? Could I have ruined my brain? Looking for hope and help. This is exhausting and I'm already getting depressed dealing with it. 

Thanks

Hi again, I wrote about how bad my withdrawal has been from Zoloft (6d, 25mg). I can't reinstate it because the effects were dangerous. I have used St John's wort in the past and was wondering if I could switch to that since I read several articles that say it helps with withdrawal and there are detox places that use it that way. I am familiar with all the side effects and warnings I am just wondering if it could work. I will be off from Zoloft 14 days on Monday (that's the conservative measure for seratonin syndrome and the high blood pressure risk). I did have one day (yesterday) where I took 5htp to deal with the withdrawal symptoms. It def helped alleviate my mood but it kept me up all night and made me feel like Zoloft makes me feel.

So thoughts about SJW...low dose for a week and then increase to I'm stable and the come off it?

I had asked about switching to SJW to help with the withdrawal. I read I can also just take a single 20mg dose of Prozac (fluxotine). Does anyone know if this is accurate or if it will help. Should I try that over the SJW or just move forward. I'm on day 11 of withdrawal and it's not any better. Would love some help and wisdom.

Also, would it be better to go back on the Zoloft and come off it slower? I was on 25mg for only 6 days. 

❤️ sorry you are going thru this- good for you stopping! you will heal--your brain needs to readjust and reset. Be patient and gentle with yourself. You will get better faster than you think.

Def take magnesium am and pm! 

Magnesium L-Threonate 1gm mornings (magnesium best for brain health)

Magnesium Glycinate 400mg at bedtime

💮Zoloft 50mg September 2015  💮Alcohol-free October 2017 💮 September 2018 begin micro-taper-->weekly micro drops liquid      💮April 2019 25mg HELD FOR ONE YEAR before weekly micro drops 💮April 2020 12.5mg 💮August 8mg 💮October 6mg  💮December 5mg 💮April 2mg 💮May 1mg 💮June 0.5mg  💮July 4, 2021 Jump OFF 💯

Hi surfchick, thanks for responding. Any idea on what I can take for depression.bik noticing that I'm starting to get depressed...which is not normal for me. Do you know how long that might stay for? Any wisdom with it?

Hi Lzieb-- welcome to SA, I'm so glad you found us. Getting a bad reaction after having taken the drug for only a few days is really upsetting, we have a number of members who are in the same boat.  Please don't worry, things will get better, but probably not as fast as you would like.  Here is an article I wrote several years ago on the subject, it should answer a lot of your questions.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/17909-are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take/?tab=comments#comment-354113

We do not recommend trying to medicate ones way out of these situations, it can really complicate the situation and lead to a much longer recovery time.  There are two supplements that we have found to help in many cases, magnesium and fish oil.  I would not jump right into using them but rather read through the site and concentrate on the coping exercises that we recommend.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

The problem with JSW is that it is just another SSRI, only in a natural form.  It has the same affects as an SSRI, but usually milder, it reaches tolerance in a few weeks with all the associated side effects. It needs to be carefully tapered after that.  It really won't do anything for you but cause more problems in the long run.

The same goes for 5-HTP.  We do not recommend the use of either one of them.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Will my body normalize? I have only been off like this one other time. I'm actually not used to being this way so it's harder. 

Also, I had read your article. Are you certain it will take 18 months. Don't some people recover sooner

Yes, some people do recover sooner. Because we don't have all the information on someone we have to talk in generalities.  We have a lot of members here and by combining their information we come up with what seem to be the average experience.  Also, that entire time is not going to be feeling the way you do right now.  As time passes things will improve and get much better. I would guess that by the middle of this summer you will be feeling quite a bit better.

• Administrator

Hello, Lz. I moved your posts here. Only one Introductions topic to a member.

22 hours ago, Lzieb said:

My symptoms so far are anxiety, panic attacks and hyperventilating (new for me), chest pressure like I'm having a heart attack, headache, mood swings and imbalance, tremors, insomnia, brain fog and zaps, crying fits, restlessness, nasal congestion and shortness of breath...I think that's everything

Why would I be having such a hard time on such a little dose for only a few days? Will it get better? Could I have ruined my brain? Looking for hope and help. This is exhausting and I'm already getting depressed dealing with it. 

Having withdrawal symptoms after such a short time on Zoloft is unusual.

Please do your best to stay calm. Keep telling yourself you're having an adverse drug reaction. You could take a tiny chip of a tablet to get past this rough patch. I would NOT try St. John's Wort until you're stable. Please let us know how you're doing.

Everyone is worried about the covid-19 pandemic, that is not abnormal. Please use the self-soothing techniques Shep mentioned, they will help you cope with the uncertainty.

Are you a new mother? Are family helping you with the baby? You might join an online mother's group for additional support.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you all so much. It is just distressing to feel so unwell. You just want to feel better! I am going to push through and not take the SJW. 

Can someone please explain the difference between acute withdrawal and the more long term symptoms please. 

Thank you again

• Administrator

Acute withdrawal lasts a few weeks after you go off a drug. Prolonged or post-acute withdrawal symptoms occur after that.

We have a number of people here who have gotten immediate severe adverse reactions to antidepressants. Though they were not on the drugs long enough to develop physiological dependency, they have symptoms that are identical to withdrawal symptoms. You may be one of those people. Antidepressants do not suit your nervous system.

Please do what you can to stay calm, symptoms will very gradually dissipate over months. Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Ok but you don't think I permanently damaged anything?

Also does everyone get the prolonged or post acute withdrawal symptoms? How long do they last? Is there an article on them?

Any recommendations on how to deal with the mild depression? That's a new one for me. 

Also, my big fear is that I messed my system up so bad that I will be put on some crazy medicine...I don't want that. I just need to know healing is possible...

• Administrator

As you went off the drug only 11 days ago, you could have acute withdrawal syndrome. If you have withdrawal syndrome,

17 hours ago, Altostrata said:

You could take a tiny chip of a tablet to get past this rough patch.

What I mean by tiny is: Not half, not a quarter, not an eighth of a tablet. A TINY CHIP. See if it helps. Please let us know how you're doing.

It is likely your symptoms will come in waves and continue to change over the next few weeks. See

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

and the papers posted in the Journals forum.

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

We have a number of people here who have gotten immediate severe adverse reactions to antidepressants. Though they were not on the drugs long enough to develop physiological dependency, they have symptoms that are identical to withdrawal symptoms. You may be one of those people. Antidepressants do not suit your nervous system.

Please do what you can to stay calm, symptoms will very gradually dissipate over months.

According to what we've seen, symptoms dissipate over months. This indicates it's not permanent damage. You will need to be patient, though, your nervous system repairs itself very slowly.

hi, what would it be if not acute withdrawl syndrome? Also, does everyone go through PAWS...

Does everyday get better or is the whole acute process this hard? Thanks

• Administrator

Your adverse reaction may have shaken your nervous system up so much, you may still be recovering from the adverse reaction. This looks like withdrawal syndrome but is not withdrawal syndrome.

If it is withdrawal syndrome, a very small amount of the drug may help. If it is not withdrawal syndrome, a very small amount of the drug probably wouldn't do much.

We cannot tell you how long it will take for you to recover. It may be within a couple of months, it may be much longer, like PAWS.

Thank you altostrata...I just feel so sick. My husband had me try 5htp the other day and it brought my mood up but gave me insomnia. I also felt wierd on it so I stopped it. I think it made things worse. Plus I took an attarax for anxiety and that made things worse too. I also started a slew of supplements...all that to say that my brain and body are on fire!

I know I need to rest for a few days...

I saw your comment about taking a small chip, I haven't done it yet. I don't like how Zoloft made me think so I'm not sure it's safe. I did see a post about another medicine. I have fluxotine 10mg... would that be worth a try?

Do symptoms go away in acute recovery? Like how I feel today, will it be this bad everyday or is there reprieve?

Sorry about all the questions... Just struggling. Thx

@Altostrata, thank you so much for your help. I know someone like me is hard to manage right now but I feel so out of control. I was hoping you could answer the question I asked before about should I try to go back on to taper down and would that work? Would I try instead fluxotine since I have a 20mg and I did so bad? Or at John's wort... Just to transfer than taper... Not to stay on a medicine

Would it matter if it's an adverse reaction or make it worse?

When I did go on the 5htp (my husband thought it would be ok) it did help my mood but I didn't feel right on it and it gave me insomnia. I won't take it again. Is that what would happen if I went on SJW to taper

I'm having a very bad day today...I think the 5htp and anxiety medication set me back. I won't be doing that again 

The severity of the experience is why it's so hard for me. I legit feel like my whole body is on fire... inside and out. I see many of you try another med after cold turkey but I'm wondering if that's a different situation since my reaction might have been adverse...rambling I know. Sorry and thanks 

• Administrator

Yes, you could try a bit of fluoxetine, such as 0.5mg. You can make a liquid, see Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

This may help if your symptoms are withdrawal symptoms. These are typical withdrawal symptoms:

On 4/18/2020 at 2:01 AM, Lzieb said:

As I said before, it would be unusual that your nervous system adapted to Zoloft in such a short time, setting you up for withdrawal symptoms.

BUT, as you had such a bad reaction to such a low dose of Zoloft (please add dosage to your signature), you might have a bad reaction to ANY serotonergic, such as Prozac or 5-htp. There's nothing wrong with you, it's just possible serotonergics do not suit your nervous system.

Having had such severe adverse reactions adverse to Zoloft, your nervous system may be sensitized to anything that's neuroactive, such as Attarax or even caffeine. The adverse reactions you had to Attarax and 5-htp should settle down over the next week or two. This is a good time to practice meditation. See

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Deep emotional pain and crying spells, spontaneous weeping

Sudden fear, terror, panic, or anxiety from withdrawal

If I were you, I would be very, very cautious. A little goes a long way in a sensitized nervous system, this is why we suggest trying very low doses. More is not better.

I am wary about bringing in fluoxetine or any other drug. It's your choice if you want to try a tiny bit of fluoxetine. Please let us know how you're doing.

Hi Lz-- Alto is giving you much more information than I could in our PMs. there isn't much more that I could add. 

I know that the shock of reacting badly to only taking zoloft for a few days is quite distressing, but things will get better with time. Work on remaining calm and rolling with what ever comes along, it's all temporary.

Hi @Altostrata, I understand what you are saying. I believe everything you are saying... But my body is so upset right now and I just don't know what to do. I can't imagine going two more days like this let alone weeks or months. 

I am struggling and I know the attarax set it off. I didn't think much about the 5htp and took it before someone told me not to

Are there clinics to help someone like me? Where a good doctor could help me through all this?

I am not sure what I am going to do with the fluxotine. I do understand your reasoning. It's just incredibly hard

What does someone do in my situation when it's this difficult?

• Administrator

I wish I could recommend a doctor or clinic. This site exists because so few know anything about tapering and withdrawal, or even adverse effects of psychiatric drugs.

Choices are yours: 1) Surf the waves; 2) Reinstate a tiny amount of the Prozac you have on hand.

Please look at other Introductions topics. Many have had to make similar decisions.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

In your case, please be cautious about trying anything. You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

@Altostrata, Ok. Thank you for all your help. I know it's a personal decision I must make.

I do have two more quick questions, I currently have asthma (allergy, weather, exercise related). Will my rescue inhaler through my body into a tailspin if I have to take it?

What are your thoughts of saffron (for depression)  vit b12 and Vit D. Can I try them slowly and see how I do with them?

Thanks again