SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

catarina7000: Depakote in antidepressant withdrawal

catarina7000

On 4/27/2020 at 5:05 AM, Erell said:

hello @catarina7000

I've moved your post to your topic in order to keep all your info in the same place.

Take care.

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, catarina.

I can imagine our ways might be confusing!

Did you feel better when you decreased Paxil to 5mg in February 2019? Since you decreased Paxil to 5mg, it looks like you've experimented with adding several different drugs to Paxil. If you got bad reactions when you did this, it's likely the drugs were interacting with Paxil. What happened when you took nortriptyline? Since you changed to amitriptyline, do you feel better or worse?

How have your symptoms changed in the last 2 months? Does the Depakote help?

Good questions. But you're taking 3 drugs (are you taking any other non-psychiatric drugs?) -- which one of them or which combination is causing these symptoms? My guess is Paxil is the one that should be reduced, not amitriptyline.

Paxil is a very powerful drug that, even at a low dose, may be interacting with any other drugs you might be taking, as your pharmacist noted. If we can see the interactions, we may be able to reduce some of the symptoms you're having. We need to look closer at drug-drug interactions. Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

Daily symptom notes can further help us pin down whether you have drug adverse effects. Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right.

I understand all of these questions are frustrating to you. However, your pharmacists and doctors should have been on the alert for drug-drug interactions from the beginning. Paxil and amitriptyline should not be prescribed together. We are trying to unravel your prescribers' errors. They tend to be very poor at dealing with drug adverse reactions and withdrawal.

The limit on signatures is 12 lines. Please consolidate some of the lines in your signature and bring it up to date. Please enter dosages as milligrams rather than "1/4 pill".

The Depakote was added while I was only on paxil. Yes, it did help the irritability from paxil and as far as I can tell, it's still helping mitigate that. 

With adding amitriptiline, some things got better and some got worse initially. 

Better:

Sleep, sleep panic, hot flashes, dry heaving

Worse:

Ear pain, head pain (these got better after taking ami for a few months but not initially)

In the past couple months, I don't know how I have felt. More sleeping issues like head pain and throbbing during the night. More head and ear pain. 

Someone (manymoretodays I think) put my drugs in the interaction checker. I don't know how to do that. They all interact. 

I have added when I take my drugs in my signature.

I tend to have more head throbbing at night when I lie down to sleep. I tend to feel better in the day in the late afternoon to evening. I tend to feel more anxious and worse in the first 1-2 hours that I wake. 

QUESTIONS:

1) Why would you chose to taper paxil over amitriptyline? It seems that amitrytipline will be easier to taper and my plan for tapering paxil is very slow after this experience like a ten year plan so that won't help me much. 

2) How do you know it's an interaction and not still paxil WD? Or is it both?

3) My original questions that are still unanswered were:

How long should I wait to heal from the paxil WD or should I start tapering ami right away? I am much better from paxil WD but am concerned it will just destabilize me more. 

I was thinking of tapering 5% every month or so. I still need to taper slowly even though I'm having issues with the med, correct?

As far as my warning, I was trying to help because some poor dude was just left hanging and then was asked why he changed his dosage. He had no guidance at that point. 

May 2016: Paxil 10 mg

November 2017 – December 2017: Start of paxil taper.

September 2018 – Paxil 8.5 mg.

October 1, 2018: Started Depakote at 125 mg (full pill).

October 7, 2018: Depakote roughly 60 mg.

October 15, 2018: Depakote roughly 30 mg.

October 2018 – December 2018: Went up and down on the Depakote dosage until holding at ¼ pill.

February 2019: Paxil - 10 mg to 5 mg.

April/May 2019: Trintellix 10 mg. Stopped 2-3 weeks later.

September 23, 2019: Nortriptyline 10 mg.

October 21, 2019: Amitryptiline 10 mg. Stopped Nortriptyline 10 mg.

I TAKE PAXIL 5 mg AT 11 AM, AMITRIPTILINE 10 mg AT 7 PM, DEPAKOTE 30 mg AT 10 PM

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, catarina7000 said:

Someone (manymoretodays I think) put my drugs in the interaction checker. I don't know how to do that. They all interact

Hi cararina7000,  I think I only went so far as to put a link to the Depakote interactions  side effects, in a post.

We ask for you to do it, simply to empower you a bit......as far as beginning to take charge, of what has become a difficult situation.  Empower, as becoming more capable, at finding information yourself.  I mean I like to know now, what I'm putting in my body, and try to do my best with my one GP......as far as discussing things goes.  I just found myself, better off, once I could be an active partner in my health.  We're getting there.....in my case.  We don't always agree, but even that is okay.......now.   And even my dentist goes a bit more cautiously.

You just click on the link:  https://www.drugs.com/interaction/list/

And then add in your present drugs, one by one.  Copy and paste or share the link here.

I know it's tough right now, so here is a link to your drug interactions

Alto's given you a link to the how to on a simple list format, for your present days, and I extracted a sample note:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

This all helps to get a real feel for what's going on now, your symptoms related to your present drugs.

Very glad to hear that you are feeling much better from Paxil WD.  And I will leave the rest of your questions for now.  I've got to run.  Alto's the best though!  And we all try very hard.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
additional, strike out, meant Depakote side effects

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

27 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi cararina7000,  I think I only went so far as to put a link to the Depakote interactions in a post.

We ask for you to do it, simply to empower you a bit......as far as beginning to take charge, of what has become a difficult situation.  Empower, as becoming more capable, at finding information yourself.  I mean I like to know now, what I'm putting in my body, and try to do my best with my one GP......as far as discussing things goes.  I just found myself, better off, once I could be an active partner in my health.  We're getting there.....in my case.  We don't always agree, but even that is okay.......now.   And even my dentist goes a bit more cautiously.

You just click on the link:  https://www.drugs.com/interaction/list/

And then add in your present drugs, one by one.  Copy and paste or share the link here.

I know it's tough right now, so here is a link to your drug interactions

Alto's given you a link to the how to on a simple list format, for your present days, and I extracted a sample note:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

This all helps to get a real feel for what's going on now, your symptoms related to your present drugs.

Very glad to hear that you are feeling much better from Paxil WD.  And I will leave the rest of your questions for now.  I've got to run.  Alto's the best though!  And we all try very hard.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

You said they all interact. We have established that. 

October 2018 – December 2018: Went up and down on the Depakote dosage until holding at ¼ pill.

I TAKE PAXIL 5 mg AT 11 AM, AMITRIPTILINE 10 mg AT 7 PM, DEPAKOTE 30 mg AT 10 PM

• Moderator Emeritus

Yup.  And here's a link to your interactions:  Drug Interaction Report

And even better, as I checked the professional report this time.  Seems that the Paxil can increase the concentration of Amitriptyline.  Same with the Depakote.

What do you think, after a read through?

And then it is just easier to answer your questions, after seeing some of the drug and symptom notes.  They give a more objective view,  how the symptoms relate to the drugs.  It's right there and visible.  So try to even just do a day, a couple days is great.  

I tend to have more head throbbing at night when I lie down to sleep. I tend to feel better in the day in the late afternoon to evening. I tend to feel more anxious and worse in the first 1-2 hours that I wake. 

This is good ^, but then we still have to piece it all together with the times, that you take the drugs.  So much easier if the drug and symptom notes are done.  Do some when you have that window of feeling better in the day.  You can just jot stuff down, in a day planner type thing, or on some scrap paper.  It can be challenging when you aren't feeling well......we get that.  Just look at that sample note, but do a couple, with your own stuff in there.  So very helpful.  You've already got the times of your drugs and doses down, now just add in some more times on the left, and then symptoms, on the right, and even when you are feeling somewhat okay.

QUESTIONS:

1) Why would you chose to taper paxil over amitriptyline? It seems that amitrytipline will be easier to taper and my plan for tapering paxil is very slow after this experience like a ten year plan so that won't help me much. 

2) How do you know it's an interaction and not still paxil WD? Or is it both?

3) My original questions that are still unanswered were:

How long should I wait to heal from the paxil WD or should I start tapering ami right away? I am much better from paxil WD but am concerned it will just destabilize me more. 

I was thinking of tapering 5% every month or so. I still need to taper slowly even though I'm having issues with the med, correct?

Once we see some notes, I think your questions can be addressed.  Sound fair?  I hope so.  I know it's tough.  I think on question # 2, that yes, it might be a little of both.  And so hoping with a judicious taper, you might not have to suffer with more destabilization.

Hoping it's a good enough night for you. 

And best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

10 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Yup.  And here's a link to your interactions:  Drug Interaction Report

And even better, as I checked the professional report this time.  Seems that the Paxil can increase the concentration of Amitriptyline.  Same with the Depakote.

What do you think, after a read through?

And then it is just easier to answer your questions, after seeing some of the drug and symptom notes.  They give a more objective view,  how the symptoms relate to the drugs.  It's right there and visible.  So try to even just do a day, a couple days is great.  

This is good ^, but then we still have to piece it all together with the times, that you take the drugs.  So much easier if the drug and symptom notes are done.  Do some when you have that window of feeling better in the day.  You can just jot stuff down, in a day planner type thing, or on some scrap paper.  It can be challenging when you aren't feeling well......we get that.  Just look at that sample note, but do a couple, with your own stuff in there.  So very helpful.  You've already got the times of your drugs and doses down, now just add in some more times on the left, and then symptoms, on the right, and even when you are feeling somewhat okay.

Once we see some notes, I think your questions can be addressed.  Sound fair?  I hope so.  I know it's tough.  I think on question # 2, that yes, it might be a little of both.  And so hoping with a judicious taper, you might not have to suffer with more destabilization.

Hoping it's a good enough night for you. 

And best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Ok thank you, that's what I wanted feedback on - whether it was paxil WD or interaction or both. 

I have been taking paxil for 4 years. I have been taking depakote for 2. I have been taking Ami for about 8 months. My system has already adjusted to these drugs so it's doubtful that there would be a reaction at the time I'm taking them. My system has already done the job of adjusting to them by turning genes on and off, making receptor changes, etc. In the beginning, when I started Ami, I was very drowsy and switched to taking it at night for that purpose. The pharmacist said if you are very tired, it could be interacting with paxil. I don't think it's necessary to break down everything that I do for several days especially since it doesn't give the bigger picture. I'm right before my period, so it's not an accurate portrayal. There may be other factors at play like stress in my life, etc. I also have natural cycles from before drugs. I have always felt better at night and worse in the morning. There are so many factors that I don't believe this method of relaying small details of the day does much to help.

Thank you for your help.

• Administrator

We know that Paxil is very difficult to go off. This is what you found when you reduced from 10mg to 5mg. It's highly likely the problems you've had since February 2019 are due to Paxil withdrawal, possibly with adverse reactions to subsequent drugs.

Going on and off psychiatric drugs can make your nervous system hyper-reactive to all psychotropics, complicating treatment for withdrawal syndrome. If you are having bad reactions to low doses of drugs, that is why -- you have become sensitized.

When did you start taking amitriptyline at night?

18 hours ago, catarina7000 said:

Ear pain, head pain (these got better after taking ami for a few months but not initially)

In the past couple months, I don't know how I have felt. More sleeping issues like head pain and throbbing during the night. More head and ear pain. 

I'm going to guess that when you were taking amitriptyline at the same time as Paxil, your ear pain and head pain were worse. When you moved the amitriptyline to the evening, this symptom got better for a while, but the drug-drug interaction reasserted itself at night.

32 minutes ago, catarina7000 said:

I don't think it's necessary to break down everything that I do for several days especially since it doesn't give the bigger picture.

No, what we want is the micro picture, not the bigger picture. For example, does the ear pain and head pain get worse after you take Depakote at night?

You are correct, symptoms arising from your menstrual cycle obscure your baseline drug reactions. Perhaps you can post daily notes when your period ends.

28 minutes ago, catarina7000 said:

My system has already done the job of adjusting to them by turning genes on and off, making receptor changes, etc.

Yes, your nervous system is doing its job of adapting to biochemical changes. However, some of those adaptations may involve generating pain and other unpleasant symptoms. You may be in a stable adapted homeostasis, but it is not a beneficial homeostasis.

We do what we do here. We ask questions for a reason. If you want us to help you minimize your drugs, please read our questions carefully and answer them completely. I definitely do want to see your daily symptom notes.

Please add drug dosages to the last line in your signature.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 5/6/2020 at 12:33 PM, Altostrata said:

I'm going to guess that when you were taking amitriptyline at the same time as Paxil, your ear pain and head pain were worse. When you moved the amitriptyline to the evening, this symptom got better for a while, but the drug-drug interaction reasserted itself at night.

So I actually moved the nortriptyline to the morning a few days after starting because it was making me drowsy. I have always taken the ami in the morning. My ear pain got worse after taking the nortriptyline and then the ami. I would have to look at my notes, but it's possible that things got worse when I switched to ami which makes sense. I feel bad for even trying it.  I believe my body was not in good shape to handle the change which is why I'm nervous about tapering anything right now. 

For example, does the ear pain and head pain get worse after you take Depakote at night?

Yes and no. It does not get worse after I take the pill, it gets worse during my sleep. When I was taking the Depakote with only paxil, I had no head or ear pain. It started during paxil WD. The head and ear pain is sometimes worse in the morning and I often hear throbbing and heart beating sounds in my head as I go to sleep. I have sleep panic almost every night and when I wake up from it, I notice the throbbing and heart beat noise more. I'm not sure what that is - maybe recalibration in my sleep or some mechanism of sleep or the way the drugs affect my REM. I have more dreams towards the end of my sleep around 8-10 AM and that's when I have sleep panic. I think in general, my body is reacting to the vivid dreams caused by taking an SSRI. Also, WD. 

You may be in a stable adapted homeostasis, but it is not a beneficial homeostasis.

Ok, so meaning my body still has a lot of work to do?

We do what we do here. We ask questions for a reason. If you want us to help you minimize your drugs, please read our questions carefully and answer them completely. I definitely do want to see your daily symptom notes.

ok.

I will add the drug doses to my signature. 

Thank you for your help.

I guess my main concern is when to start tapering another drug whatever that may be. Have you noticed that people in similar situations stabilize more if they stay put or is it better to go ahead and taper? (I know this is hard to predict but in general what happens?) I have made so many changes I realize now. 

• Administrator

It is better to reduce or remove the drug or drugs causing an adverse reaction.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

I tested my blood levels recently and the amitriptyline was low - less than 20 ng/mL. The optimum level is between 80-300. SO over 300 would be toxic. So it doesn't seem that paxil and ami are interacting in the sense that paxil would be increasing the levels of ami. Amitryptiline could still be causing an adverse reaction but I know withdrawal will do this too so I have to weigh the pros and cons of each and how functional I am now compared to how I might be if I start withdrawal. I am still unemployed and would like to start a job before I start WD because it seems hopeless to get a job in WD and I only have so much in financial resources. 

I also noticed an adverse reaction to vitamin C gummies that is much like the reaction I had to anti-inflammatories. I got buzzy head, almost like a brain zap overwhelmed feeling and generally feeling nuts. I also went from weepy to feeling in a better mood but lots of tingling in my face and head symptoms. My ear pain went away though strangely. I seem to have these symptoms whenever I take anything that increases serotonin even if indirectly. That could be what's causing my reaction to ami - the same principle of my body not being able to tolerate changes in neurotransmitters. 

• 2 months later...

Update on my condition:

I'm about 18 months from my 50% taper of paxil and I'm doing pretty well. However, I really cannot tolerate supplements. I tried a collagen supplement (Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides - amino acids) and I got face and head pain. 

Seems like most of my previous issues are from paxil WD. I think starting amitriptyline was overwhelming my nervous system and my reactions had more to do with the paxil WD than it interacting with paxil. It still could be interacting, but my symptoms are getting better in a windows/waves pattern. I would say I'm about 85-90% healed from paxil WD. I won't start tapering until I'm as healed as possible and probably after covid has settled. 

Just wanted to give an update for anyone reading this. Things do improve. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Catarina

And thank you for sharing your positive update. I'm really glad to read that you're feeling well 🤗

So you're holding all your drugs and not tappering anything at the moment?

Take care ☀️

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.