SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

LostRunner: took citalopram for 7 days - feel terrible 7 weeks later

LostRunner

Hello, 

I just wanted to share my Citalopram story as I'm feeling terrible at the moment and just feel like I've completely ruined my body. I don't know if anyone else out there has advice or experienced something similar? 

I was prescribed Citalopram in February this year by my GP after experiencing a lot of anxiety. I took 10mg for 4 days but after contacting my GP when I was experiencing a lot of side effects, she upped my dose to 20mg and said it was normal to feel worse before I felt better. By this stage I was feeling pretty manic but for some reason I did what the doctor advised and upped my dose to 20mg as I thought my feelings were because I was so anxious. In hindsight I know now that it was the drug that was actually making me feel manic but I just wasn't aware of that at the time - I bought it was all me. I ended up taking Citalopram for just 7 days in the end and only stopped after a particularly bad night where I was experiencing burning all over my body and brain zaps - I knew I couldn't take it anymore. The Dr didn't want me to stop but I couldn't face taking another pill. Two days before I stopped taking it I started to experience a tremor in my arms but I thought it would wear off when I stopped the drug.

Fast forward to around the 20th March having been Citalopram free for a month I began experiencing terrible, debilitating symptoms. My back & stomach is constantly pulsing - I have no idea what it is, I have pins and needles in my legs and tingling in my feet. The floor feels like it is moving when I walk and I feel very unsteady and dizzy. I feel completely detached from everything and everyone and don't even really recognise myself. Im just not interested in the things I used to be and everything is so much effort. I have major brain fog. I sleep very poorly and wake up after a couple of hours, body pulsing and unable to get to sleep. My neck tingles and I have a slight tremor in my neck/head. I never feel still or relaxed and I'm constantly on edge. My head throbs. My teeth hurt and my jaw is tight. My neck feels tight & my stomach is inflamed. Nothing I take seems to help with my symptoms. 

I have contacted my GP for help but they have said that it all sounds like anxiety, and have prescribed me propranolol and diazepam. They said that it is very unlikely that Citalopram has caused this but I really think it has. I've never felt like this in my life.  I am finding it all so very difficult at the moment. I feel like a complete zombie and the physical symptoms are so hard to deal with. I used to be so active and now walking feels like a battle. Physically and mentally I feel completely ruined. I am so ashamed that I have done this to myself and cannot see a way out. Is there anyone out there who has experienced similar or who can offer a bit of hope? Does this get better? 

History:

11th - 17th February 2020 - Citalopram (3 days 10 mg & 4 days 20mg)

11th - 17th February 2020 - Citalopram (3 days 10mg & 4 days 20mg) - SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION 

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, LostRunner.

You had an adverse reaction to Citalopram. We see this quite often.  Just this morning we had another new member who had an adverse reaction to Citalopram.  You were very wise to stop when you did.  Brassmonkey, one of our moderators, has written the following explanation of what you are experiencing:

But I only took it for a Week

I think that some of the most unfortunate members we have are the ones who only took the drug for a short time and had an Adverse Reaction. Over the years I’ve seen a good number of members join who have taken their drugs for one day to a week and then stopped.  Yet they are suffering very acute symptoms.  This is an Adverse Reaction, acute symptoms that hit immediately and hard.  Some people’s chemical makeup just isn’t compatible with psych drugs and their body immediately tries to reject them, but in doing so throws itself into chaos.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The good news is that you will recover and there will be no permanent damage.  Unfortunately, there is no way to know how long it will take.  As you've probably guessed by now, doctors have very little understanding of psychiatric drugs or the damage they can cause and attribute negative effects of these drugs to an "underlying condition," as your doctor did.

The symptoms of an adverse reaction are very similar to withdrawal symptoms, and those that you describe are very typical.  

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• manymoretodays changed the title to LostRunner: Took Citalopram for 7 days - feel terrible 7 weeks later!

Thank you so much for your reply Gridley. I'm full of regret at the moment, I can't help but hate myself for taking them for as long as I did. I know this isn't helpful. I was caught up with the idea that I would feel better if I took the meds a bit longer. I think I'd be in much better shape if I'd stopped sooner. I feel physically and mentally broken. 

At the moment recovery doesn't seem possible at all. I can't walk very far without feeling very off balance/dizzy and the spasm in my stomach/ back are just so intense. The Dr just doesn't get it. Is it just a case of waiting for it to get better? I'm struggling to be positive at the moment. 

11th - 17th February 2020 - Citalopram (3 days 10mg & 4 days 20mg) - SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION 

Hey lost. I’ve done a lot of researching here on the forums. Along my research I’ve found a bit of stories like you. Everyone I’ve seen in your situation went on to recover no problem. You’ll 100% get through this. It’s good you stopped when you did instead of continuing it. 

When I get home I’ll link you a few stories if I can go back and find them.

Example:

2018 - Started Effexor 37.5 in Janurary of 2018
2019 January, 2nd  - Cold Turkeyed from Effexor for 3 days. Reinstated on the third day, then stabilized(It took 3 months to stabilize)

2019 June - I switched from Effexor instant release to Extended Release 37.5 for better tapering. I tapered to 50% in 4 weeks before reinstating my dosage back to 37.5(due to withdrawls). I waited 2 months to stabilize but never did at 37.5

2019 September - continued to taper in to 25% on extended release

2019 October - continued to taper to half of the beads(18.75mg)... WIthdrawls were so bad I tried switching back to the instant release at the same dosage(18.75mg)

2019 November 28th - Discontinued effexor at 18.75 without anymore tapering.

2020 January - Just can't sleep, have constipation, low libido and still lack of full emotion

• Moderator Emeritus
3 minutes ago, LostRunner said:

can't help but hate myself for taking them for as long as I did. I know this isn't helpful. I was caught up with the idea that I would feel better if I took the meds a bit longer. I think I'd be in much better shape if I'd stopped sooner.

We are trained to look to doctors as authority figures.  You did exactly what all of us did and what got us into the situations we're now in: trusting the doctor.  You did nothing wrong.  In fact, as I said, you were wise to stop as soon as you did.  That you did shows great courage in the face of the doctor's recommendations, especially given the bad shape you were in and the lack of information you had (except for your very reliable gut instinct).

8 minutes ago, LostRunner said:

I think I'd be in much better shape if I'd stopped sooner.

There's no way to know that.  Every one of us here, members and moderators, has made mistakes and more than once.  I know I did.

9 minutes ago, LostRunner said:

I feel physically and mentally broken

Yes, that is the norm.  But it will get better.  The first few weeks and perhaps months will be the roughest in an adverse reaction.  Then things will slowly start to improve.

10 minutes ago, LostRunner said:

At the moment recovery doesn't seem possible at all. I can't walk very far without feeling very off balance/dizzy and the spasm in my stomach/ back are just so intense

You are at the most acute phase.  It will get better.  Again, I wish I could give you a timeline but I can't.

11 minutes ago, LostRunner said:

The Dr just doesn't get it.

No, they don't get it. The believe what they're taught and what the drug reps say.

13 minutes ago, LostRunner said:

Is it just a case of waiting for it to get better? I'm struggling to be positive at the moment. 

Basically, yes, it is waiting.  Being positive is very important; being negative stresses your system more.  The supplements I mentioned earlier can help.  Take a look at the links within the following link to see which techniques might be helpful.

Non-drug techniques to cope

If anxiety is one of your symptoms, the following restorative yoga pose was helpful to me.

10 minute Restorative Yoga for Relaxation | Up the wall

I know it is very frightening, but I can assure you you will recover.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@Rozon1 Thank you so much for your reply, its definitely reassuring to hear that you've known of others who have recovered. I'm so worried as I never got on with Citalopram so I feel like I've basically poisoned myself for a week and my body is just all over the place now. At the moment I don't know if I'll ever be able to walk properly again - my back/stomach feels like it is spasms constantly which makes me off balance and I haven't seen anyone else who has dealt with this side effect. 

@Gridley Thank you for your kind response and reassurance, I just feel so stupid. I don't know what I've done to my body but it feels like every part of me is broken. I'm finding it hard to forgive myself as it seems so obvious now and if id done some more research I'd have realised that what I was experiencing wasn't the 'normal' reaction. I wasn't convinced when the Dr wanted to up my dose but stupidly I went a long with it. I will have a go at introducing the supplements. It all feels quite unbearable at the moment.

Hi @LostRunner I hope you are well.

I understand 100% how you are feeling right now, most likely very scared with little hope.

I also endured an adverse reaction to citalopram after taking 20mg for 6 days.

I experienced pretty much everything you mention along with halloucinations auditory and visual.

It's been almost 6 months now and I am mainly out if the worst of it. So please be reassured that although you think you will never get through this, you will 100%. 

Try not to be too hard on yourself, I know guilt is a strong powerful emotion and we wonder why we went on the medication in the first place. But this is just one little bump in the road. 

Take care and stay safe.

Citalopram 20mg september 23 2019 - 29th September 2019

Thank you @keogh08 its unbelievable isn't it. I hops so much that this will get better. it feels literally impossible at the moment. How long did it take for you to notice a difference?

It's been 8 weeks for me and I think I'm getting worse. I have spasms/weird pressure sensation 24/7 all over my spine/back and heavy pulsing all over my body - my ab pulse is so strong can feel it all the time and the movement affects me when I walk, tingling legs, weak arms and hand grip, fast heart rate, unsteady when walking, total disconnect from my environment, jaw & neck tremor. I can't relax and sleeping is difficult - I'm petrified that I've caused permanent nerve damage or something, I didn't have any of these issues before Citalopram. The back problems in particular are really getting me down, they just don't give me a break.  I've had a Brain MRI which was fine but waiting to see a neurologist - not sure how long that will take because of current corona situation. 

The guilt and regret is so strong! and sends me absolutely crazy. Complete disbelief that this is happening and I just can't believe I've done this to myself. 

Hello, I've just been prescribed Clonazepam (0.5mg) by a neurologist for the back spasms I've bene having but I'm now very wary of taking any new medications. 

Does anyone have any experience of taking this? Is it a bad idea to take? Should I just try it and see if it helps? Sorry feel incapable of thinking properly at the moment, any advice would be much appreciated! 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, LostRunner said:

Clonazepam (0.5mg)

I would be wary, especially given your adverse reaction to the Citalopram.  Some people's nervous systems are too sensitive for psychiatric medications.

You should know that Clonazepam, like all benzos, can cause physiological dependence within two to four weeks of regular use and also with intermittent use.  Once you're dependent, you no longer get any benefit from taking the drug and are only staving off withdrawal.  

It's a slippery slope.  I started off taking Ativan intermittently for sleep, then more often and finally regularly.  I'm still taking it and get no benefit except to ward off withdrawal.  Once I finish my Lexapro taper, I'll be starting my Ativan taper.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Hi @LostRunner

I understand totally how you are feeling. 

It happens to many people unfortunately there are a few cases on here relating to adverse reactions. I have spoken to many people now who have recovered and as a guideline recovery seems to take anywhere from 18 months to 2 years and from what I have read that is a full recovery. 

I was pretty  bad up until January then I was out of the crisis phase. In the last month the anxiety and panic, heart palpitations etc have subsided massively. The halloucinations

Each month I get more and more like the old me which gives me hope. 

Magnesium was a life changer and taken twice a day made a massive improvement in my condition. This along with a diet overhaul and cutting out the majority of processed foods has helped.

I am also now able to tolerate a couple of coffees in the morning where as 6 months ago I wouldn't have dreamed off it. 

My remaining symptoms seem to be more of a slight mental anxiety and minor depression. But no where near as bad as I was the few months after my reaction. 

It is true that we get better and to take the months as they come, as hard as it is you have to remain optimistic and not beat yourself up, as you will only stress yourself out more.

Also chamomile tea may relax you before bed along with magneisum baths.

Take care.

Thank you for your reply @keogh08 I'm so glad you're getting better, it must be a massive relief. 18 months -2 years seems so long but I think if I noticed improvements in that time it would definitely be more bearable.

I pray for improvements but I feel worse than ever at the moment. Physically my body is not mine at the moment. I currently am convinced I've caused major damage to nerves in my spine or similar, I'm really struggling with walking normally without back spasms/movements and weird pressures all over my back. Its the most horrendous feeling. My arms are weak and my muscles have just gone. This has progressed slowly since coming off the drugs and isn't improving despite trying light exercises & stretches. Previous to the Citalopram I was very active and running 2/3 times a week. Now I'm struggling to go for walks. It has been so so depressing and I can't see a way out of any of this atm. Sorry to be so doom and gloom with my responses. It's very hard to differentiate between symptoms caused by the drugs and actual illness. I haven't seen any people posting about back issues as severe as mine which makes me worry. 

@Gridley thank you for your advice, I think I'll try to stay clear for now. It's so difficult to know what to do when everything feels so awful! 

is it a normal symptom to feel a throbbing sensation all over my body? Does this ever end? Just seems ridiculous all these weeks on

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, LostRunner said:

is it a normal symptom to feel a throbbing sensation all over my body? Does this ever end? Just seems ridiculous all these weeks on

Hello, 

yes this feeling sounds very common. And as all WD symptoms, they will imporve, but very slowly and gradually.

Hang on dear :)

Hav you read these topics ? They are really helpfull to understand WD

And

Take care ❤️

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hi @LostRunner,

I took Sertraline six times (five consecutively) back in early October of last year - I thought I had ruined everything, my body, brain, and even my eyes. While I’m nowhere near recovered, I feel a million times better just coming up to my sixth week of being in ‘withdrawal’.

I still feel a huge disconnect with my emotions - they don’t really seem like my own, and my brain fog is there ever so slightly, so as with a lot of things, time is the greatest healer. You will get better.

Do you have any vision problems?

Read my thread if you want to see what symptoms I had/my progression in healing: 

I’m not sure if I’m allowed to link my own thread, but hopefully it can help reassure you that things will get better, if we share some of the same symptoms. I had balance problems + dizziness for the first month; but everyone heals at their own pace/schedule!

Take care!

Icip.

[Edit! - I had a throbbing sensation in my bum for the first two months! It’s come back once or twice for a few days, but has generally gone away].

Early September 2019 - One 25mg dose of Sertraline taken.

Early October 2019 - Five 25mg doses (pills) of Sertraline taken for five consecutive days.

Withdrawal/reaction happened on the 27th of October (2019) in the evening.

Symptoms that have gone: Joint and muscle pain/weakness in my legs, phantom senses, chemical dread, chemical fear, DP/DR has gotten a lot lot better than what it is now, it was one of my worst and all-encompassing symptoms when it started, awful aphasia, parkinsonism, head pressure, pressure in my frontal lobe when trying to think/work out something, inability to plan or execute anything//feelings of being literally scatterbrained, inability to think in my head other than slight acknowledgements - the voice in my head sounded weak and 'small' like it was restrained to a much smaller area of my brain, constant fatigue, emotional numbness, constant eyestrain, and changes in perception of colour/contrast in sight.

Main remaining symptoms: Visual Snow/HPPD, derealisation, tinnitus, and brain/cog fog.

Drug free.

Hi @Erell and thanks for your reply - I really hope so. I only took Citalopram for 7 days but I was quite ill during those 7 days so I'm not sure what I've done to my body. I should have stopped around Day 3 when I visited my GP in a bit of a state but she said it was normal to feel this way and to carry on -  I listened to her stupidly which was a BIG MISTAKE. Now 8 weeks on I'm a wreck both physically and mentally, maybe I have a poor imagination but I just cant imagine being me again. Feel like I'm in a nightmare. As I didn't take it for that long surely I'm not experiencing withdrawal? But more that I've done damage to my body and my body is like WTF have you done.. I was healthy before all this. 

Hello @Icip, thank you for your reply. Glad to hear you're feeling much better than you did back then! It's definitely reassuring to hear people's stories. Do you mean you started feeling better 6 weeks after you stopped taking the drug? I know theres no way of knowing but to think I could be like this for years just makes me want to die. I'm definitely feeling disconnected - its such a scary feeling. I don't really recognise myself at all. Dealing with so many physical and mental symptoms all at once is just so hard! I'm struggling with balance and dizziness still too. Pretty much every part of me does not seem normal to me and I'm struggling with over analysing symptoms as well and worrying about them all the time. 

Hi @Lzieb Yes I did - I took Citalopram for 7 days and because it made me feel so poorly I had to just stop. I genuinely don't know what would have happened if I took anymore. I took it for more days than I should have, hence why I think I'm in such a state now. My body just did not like it! How long ago did you stop taking Zoloft? and how are you now? 

@LostRunner, 6 days for me than straight cold turkey. I'm only in day 14 of withdrawal. Not fun to be in this situation... I'm a Christian so I'm just trusting the Lord to see me through it. It's interesting that something this huge can happen so quickly. 

I have begun reading the success stories. They are hopeful. I imagine that we will learn a new normal for awhile and then adjust until we are better.

I also started CBT and joined NA...I need people around me who know what it's like to battle and be in the trenches. 

We will get through this. Even if I don't believe that every second that's what I'm telling myself. 

I will be praying for or you. Know we are literally battling together. I can't wait until we can both read our own success stories

LZie, Zoloft 25 mg, 3/31/20-4/6/20

@LostRunner,

I got worse for a few weeks, stayed the same for another few, but I can feel myself getting better. Even as I was feeling worse emotionally, my depersonalisation was lifting. I implore you to just try and wait it out, eat healthily, and take each day as it comes.

Take care, and feel free to message me if you want to talk or have any questions:),

Icip.

Early September 2019 - One 25mg dose of Sertraline taken.

Early October 2019 - Five 25mg doses (pills) of Sertraline taken for five consecutive days.

Withdrawal/reaction happened on the 27th of October (2019) in the evening.

Symptoms that have gone: Joint and muscle pain/weakness in my legs, phantom senses, chemical dread, chemical fear, DP/DR has gotten a lot lot better than what it is now, it was one of my worst and all-encompassing symptoms when it started, awful aphasia, parkinsonism, head pressure, pressure in my frontal lobe when trying to think/work out something, inability to plan or execute anything//feelings of being literally scatterbrained, inability to think in my head other than slight acknowledgements - the voice in my head sounded weak and 'small' like it was restrained to a much smaller area of my brain, constant fatigue, emotional numbness, constant eyestrain, and changes in perception of colour/contrast in sight.

Main remaining symptoms: Visual Snow/HPPD, derealisation, tinnitus, and brain/cog fog.

Drug free.

@Lzieb how crazy that we've both reacted like this! I wish I'd never touched them. I'm so sorry you've too found yourself in this situation - please know that I know how you're feeling and I really hope you start seeing major improvements soon. I know, the change I feel is unbelievable. 

You're right, the success stories are definitely good to read. Though I do compare myself and sometimes think I have different symptoms and then worry about those. Thats a good idea to start CBT, I hope it helps you. Thank you for your support, we'll get through this! Ah the thought of writing a success story is just the best thing! 

Thank you @Icip thats very kind of you. I'm desperately wanting to feel better, I feel so weak at the moment and my balance and walking has been really affected. Just feel gutted. 

I LostRunner.  I had an adverse reaction over 6 years ago.  It is without a shadow of doubt the most confusing, intense, traumatic experience of my life.

I did heal and so will you. 

March 2003 took two sartroline tablets after a traumatic incident and had a reaction so stopped.  I am not sure now whether what I had for the next 18 months was WD after the reaction or the emotional fallout from the traumatic event.  Some of it was very similar to WD in hindsight.  

February 2014 - Took five pristiq (50mg) tablets and three Ativan and had a severe reaction.
Extreme withdrawal symptoms for three weeks compounded by visit to naturopath -

One week later took 900mg St John's Wort x 3 daily for six weeks - more negative effects and suspected serotonin syndrome - before tapering over three weeks. Last tablet late May 2014.

Waves and windows cycle of recovery with longer windows and manageable waves.

May 2015 - already in a mild wave, following a usual pattern, I took clarithromicin and amoxicillin for two weeks for a sinus infection which I also seem to have had quite a reaction to.

February 2016 - Feeling much better.  I still have waves and windows but they are manageable.  I'm largely enjoying life again.

@Farout how long did it take for you to see any kind of healing? I really hope you're right. 

Has anyone had experience of spinal instability after stopping anti depressants?

I've never had any back issues prior to taking medication and was previously very active and fit. 4 weeks after I stopped the meds I have felt a throbbing 24/7 in my spine. its not painful but its a pulsing like movement in my back which makes me feel quite unstable when I stand and walk. Now when I walk I feel a pressure on my lower back and I feel unsteady. Also legs feel tingly, heavy and weak. I've seen a physio who has said there is nothing 'mechanically' wrong with my spine and nothing relieves this sensation in terms of stretches/heat/cold. I try to go for a half hour walk every day but it just feels like my back could collapse any minute. Sometimes after walking I then have a intense pressure feeling on my lower back. Even when I am sitting the movement/throbbing is constant, there's no relief!

Any one else experienced anything similar? I'm really scared it's something serious and I won't be able to run again. I also have a really strong pulse in my abdomen which I feel all the time - again this only came on 4 weeks after stopping the meds.

How can you be sure that an adverse reaction isn't just damage? I've been experiencing a lot of pressure on my lower back when I walk, it feels like I'm walking through water

Im there with you.  Was on lexapro and lithium for 9 wks and Im in hell right now. 

Was on Lexapro for 66 days starting in early January.  5mg for a week, 10mg for 3, 7.5 for 3 days, then 5mg and 2.5mg for approx two weeks after.  

Was on Lithium for 60 days starting in late January. 1 300mg ER pill a day.  Stopped CT

Was given a .5 ativan script in early Jan.  Took it maybe 20x total from early Jan to beg of June, 2020.

-Fall of 2019:  had two vertigo attacks for the first time with no warning, each followed by 4-5 days of morning dizziness.

-Last Friday of 2019:  had first ever, out of the blue, panic attack.  Went to ER- didn't know what was happening.  Was diagnosed w/GAD, even though had never had anxiety or depression problems before.  Basically no health problems at all prior to this, and in very good shape emotionally, physically, and mentally.

-4 days after panic attack given lexapro.  That's when the hell began.  Was on it 66 days.  Reacted badly to it.  Gave me suicidal ideation 4 wks after starting it, plus exhaustion, off the charts anxiety, dizziness, and fatigue.  Did a fast taper over 5 wks.  Was on it 66 days total.

-been off lexapro completely since mid-March, 2020.  First 3 weeks I got better and better.  Then, week 4 into WD got slammed.  Since then, over 64 side effects/symptoms.  Can't drive.  At times, barely surviving.

-since Jan., have been to the e r 16x.

-was given lithium after experienced SI from lexapro to as a "mood stabilizer".  Never really noticed anything from it, nor anything after stopping it, except for a few days of heightened depression about a week after.

-was given low dosage ativan script 2nd week into lexapro to deal with the anxiety/panic spike caused by the lexapro.  Took it perhaps 20x between Jan and June, 2020.  Always made me feel better, but last time it was taken (early June) experienced intrusive thoughts after so stopped it.  Didn't feel any negative reaction from stopping it, perhaps b/c it was taken so infrequently and the dosage was so low. 

• Moderator Emeritus

@LostRunner

Back problems are a common withdrawal symptom.  This link contains some suggestions that might be helpful.

Lower Back Pain anyone - Surviving Antidepressants

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Hi @LostRunner

Hope you are doing better.

I know you probably  think how can back issues be caused by an adverse reaction but so many of us experience the most bizarre and worrying symptoms following an adverse reaction. 

One helpful coping mechanism to follow is, if the symptoms did not exist before the medication it's most likely caused by the mediciation. Some people experience horrific physical symptoms whilst other experience horrific mental symptoms. Unfortunately there is no other way to heal other than giving it time. 

Take care

Hi @NoMoreLexapro sorry to hear you're also having such a rough time. I hope you start to notice improvements soon. Are you dealing with physical and mental symptoms? I don't feel right at all unfortunately.. the physical symptoms for me are the worst. All my movement is effected and I feel weird throbbing/pulsing over my body 24/7 still. My legs and bum have become numb too and my legs and arms are so heavy. Had no problems before this. 

Thanks @Gridley my back problems aren't really that painful, apart from the intense pressure sometimes - its more a 24/7 pulsing rhythm in my lower back which doesn't stop. It gets stronger when I walk and affects me moving around. It's for me the most upsetting symptom, it's not getting better. 

Thanks @keogh08 bizarre and worrying is right! I feel like I'm in a nightmare, it doesn't make sense to me at all. I only took it for 7 days and I'm more depressed now than I've ever been. Just feel totally hopeless. I do try that approach of it will take time but I'm finding it so hard to keep that positive thought process up. The changes feel permanent and the idea of walking normally feels completely out of reach and alien. 

Hi @LostRunner

Same here I took it for 6 days, I was never depressed to begin with, like many people who take medication and face an adverse reaction.

You are most likely still in the crisis phase but you should hopefully start to see improvements soon. Acceptance is hard but it helps because then we dont end up stressing ourselves out more. 

Honestly it does get easier!

@keogh08 how are you doing now? how did you get through the times when it was really bad? I think I'm just worried that improvements won't happen 

I'm doing much better it is almost 7 months now. 

Hope is what got me through and reading on this site how people recover. I have a young family so I had to remain hopeful to return to normal for them. 

The crisis phase is the worst, but as the weeks and months pass you find a new normal which you adjust to and then the healing happens. 

Really glad you're doing so much better @keogh08 do you think you 7 months ago would have believed that you'd be doing as well as you are now? You're right, hope is all there is at the moment. 

Hi LostRunner:  it's both.  Some days are more physical, some are more mental.  If physical, it is (lately- things constantly change) nausea, bladder pain, exhaustion, weird random muscle twitches and pain, tingling in my feet and hands, brain fog, anxiety, or dizziness.  If mental, it is dark thoughts, confusion, racy/anxious feelings, or inability to focus/concentrate. 

I can't predict what will happen and sometimes things change by the hour...

Was on Lexapro for 66 days starting in early January.  5mg for a week, 10mg for 3, 7.5 for 3 days, then 5mg and 2.5mg for approx two weeks after.  

Was on Lithium for 60 days starting in late January. 1 300mg ER pill a day.  Stopped CT

Was given a .5 ativan script in early Jan.  Took it maybe 20x total from early Jan to beg of June, 2020.

-Fall of 2019:  had two vertigo attacks for the first time with no warning, each followed by 4-5 days of morning dizziness.

-Last Friday of 2019:  had first ever, out of the blue, panic attack.  Went to ER- didn't know what was happening.  Was diagnosed w/GAD, even though had never had anxiety or depression problems before.  Basically no health problems at all prior to this, and in very good shape emotionally, physically, and mentally.

-4 days after panic attack given lexapro.  That's when the hell began.  Was on it 66 days.  Reacted badly to it.  Gave me suicidal ideation 4 wks after starting it, plus exhaustion, off the charts anxiety, dizziness, and fatigue.  Did a fast taper over 5 wks.  Was on it 66 days total.

-been off lexapro completely since mid-March, 2020.  First 3 weeks I got better and better.  Then, week 4 into WD got slammed.  Since then, over 64 side effects/symptoms.  Can't drive.  At times, barely surviving.

-since Jan., have been to the e r 16x.

-was given lithium after experienced SI from lexapro to as a "mood stabilizer".  Never really noticed anything from it, nor anything after stopping it, except for a few days of heightened depression about a week after.

-was given low dosage ativan script 2nd week into lexapro to deal with the anxiety/panic spike caused by the lexapro.  Took it perhaps 20x between Jan and June, 2020.  Always made me feel better, but last time it was taken (early June) experienced intrusive thoughts after so stopped it.  Didn't feel any negative reaction from stopping it, perhaps b/c it was taken so infrequently and the dosage was so low.