Estman: reducing Anafranil, withdrawal symptoms

Estman

On 8/2/2021 at 12:06 PM, Shep said:

I'm not sure you can check the strength of the pills, although you may want to reach out to your local pharmacist. Usually going a few weeks past an expiration date isn't a problem for tablets or powder (for liquid it's more important). But for an expiration date of 2 months for packages dated October 2020, that would mean you're now 8 months passed the December expiration. 

When you get your next set of packages, you may want to gradually transition to the new powder in case there is a change in strength. You could crossover to the new powder by 25% increments every few days to allow your nervous system to adjust. 

Hi Shep,

After another reduction of Anafranil (7-8%), gastrogenic problems return. (3-4 days)
There is concomitant diarrhea, nausea and flatulence and restlessness
When I told my doctor about it, he advised me to try a small dose of 50 mg of sulpride

I was prescribed Olanzapine a few years ago and took it for a few months.
There was a terrible akathisia, insomnia suddenly very extreme and no confusion at all
Do I understand that sulpride is a neuroleptic and can also cause akathisia?
Currently I can sleep, although the sleep is very lively and confused
Does sulpride cause addiction like other psychiatric drugs?
Maybe it would be wiser to stay away from it?

Xanax 0,5mg           1999-2019  a Xanax 0,5mg  a few times a month, if necessary

Cymbalta 30mg      2012-25.04.2018  tapering for 2-3 months,severe symptoms 1 week after the last dose

Amitriptyline  25mg   25.05.18-20.01.19 ,tapering in 2-3 months, insomnia, panic-anxiety, confusion, nausea

Valdoxan 25mg  10.02.19-10.03.19, did not stabilize the situation, Lorazepam  10.02.19-20.02.19  if necessary overnight 

Brintellix 5mg     10.03.19-30.06.19 ,did not stabilize the situation,  fears, confusion and insomnia, I was in the hospital for 1 week 

Olanzapine 5mg   01.03.19-02.08.19,to relieve insomnia, confusion increases, depression increases, severe akathisia occurs

Cymbalta 30mg 30.06.19-01.08.19,no longer works, the situation does not stabilize, again in the hospital for 2 weeks

Levomepromazine 5mg  03.08.19-20.12.19  helped sleep but increased confusion and depression

Anafranil 03.08.19-15.12.19   dose 75mg

15.12.19-  tapering     every 3-4 weeks    17.05.20  was the dose  35mg , 01.01.21  was the dose 27mg     

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Estman

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

• Shep

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Insomnia is one of the most common withdrawal symptoms, regardless of the type of antidepressant taken.   Sleep gradually improves over time.    Regarding fear of insomnia, the fol

Yes, I will take at least 2 months and not reduce. 40 days was not enough to stabilize the system Some of the symptoms now are beyond description At the same time, there is a great feeling of re

• Administrator
On 8/1/2021 at 9:47 AM, Estman said:

The pharmacy has set the shelf life of the powder at 2 months.
I looked to have the packages made in October 2020

3 hours ago, Estman said:

After another reduction of Anafranil (7-8%), gastrogenic problems return.

Was this with the expired powder? If so, it may be due to using expired medication, in addition to symptoms caused by reducing the dose. 

You may want to updose a small amount to see if that helps. Please update your signature to reflect your decreases. How much you should updose will depend on when you decreased. Here is a direct link to your signature:

Account Setting - Create or Update Your Signature

3 hours ago, Estman said:

Does sulpride cause addiction like other psychiatric drugs?
Maybe it would be wiser to stay away from it?

Yes, it's wise to stay away from it. Sulpride is an antipsychotic (neuroleptic) that is just like any other psychiatric drug - it doesn't treat anything and it causes dependency. It can cause akathisia and all sorts of other problems. 

The best way to lessen the chances of withdrawal symptoms is to do a very slow taper and go into long holds when needed. Going on another psychiatric drug just continues the merry-go-round of drug dependency. 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

2 hours ago, Shep said:

Yes, it's wise to stay away from it. Sulpride is an antipsychotic (neuroleptic) that is just like any other psychiatric drug - it doesn't treat anything and it causes dependency. It can cause akathisia and all sorts of other problems. 

The best way to lessen the chances of withdrawal symptoms is to do a very slow taper and go into long holds when needed. Going on another psychiatric drug just continues the merry-go-round of drug dependency. 

Yes, I'm moving slower and waiting for the symptoms to go away again.
The temptation to wean is to take another drug
Fortunately, I have experience with olanzapine and I do not want to experience hell of akathisia and insomnia again.
I am very grateful that you can listen to the experiences of others in this forum!

I read a study that wrote that most serotonin is produced in the digestive tract
However, reducing the dose causes changes in the beneficial bacteria that produce serotonin
I wonder if it would be possible to use propiotics to help the gastric microflora recover faster?

Xanax 0,5mg           1999-2019  a Xanax 0,5mg  a few times a month, if necessary

Cymbalta 30mg      2012-25.04.2018  tapering for 2-3 months,severe symptoms 1 week after the last dose

Amitriptyline  25mg   25.05.18-20.01.19 ,tapering in 2-3 months, insomnia, panic-anxiety, confusion, nausea

Valdoxan 25mg  10.02.19-10.03.19, did not stabilize the situation, Lorazepam  10.02.19-20.02.19  if necessary overnight 

Brintellix 5mg     10.03.19-30.06.19 ,did not stabilize the situation,  fears, confusion and insomnia, I was in the hospital for 1 week 

Olanzapine 5mg   01.03.19-02.08.19,to relieve insomnia, confusion increases, depression increases, severe akathisia occurs

Cymbalta 30mg 30.06.19-01.08.19,no longer works, the situation does not stabilize, again in the hospital for 2 weeks

Levomepromazine 5mg  03.08.19-20.12.19  helped sleep but increased confusion and depression

15.12.19-  tapering     every 3-4 weeks    17.05.20  was the dose  35mg , 01.01.21  was the dose 27mg     

• Administrator
On 8/21/2021 at 10:03 AM, Estman said:

I wonder if it would be possible to use propiotics to help the gastric microflora recover faster?

Some people do find probiotics helpful, but it's very individual. Here is more information:

Probiotics and gut health

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 8:06 PM, Shep said:

Some people do find probiotics helpful, but it's very individual. Here is more information:

Probiotics and gut health

Hi Shep,

Probiotics didn't help me much

I reduced my daily dose by 7-8% 7 days ago.
The last nights are completely out of place, I wake up several times a night with nightmares
Dreams are very lively, confusing, painful and abstract
Did you experience that too?
Another disturbing thing is the daily fluctuation
I'll take my dose at 4 p.m.
If at 2 pm it is more or less tolerable then an hour later it is always very bad, there is nausea, feeling unwell, tiredness
Even if I do nothing, there is always a change at that time.
It is very bad for several hours after taking the medicine at 4 pm and it is usually more or less better by 9 pm
Then the fatigue is gone and it is difficult to fall asleep