MikeyJC: Olanzapine withdrawal

MikeyJC

Hey all, glad to have found this community, though wish I had found it earlier..

I just tapered off Olanzapine 10mg over the past 9 weeks as per the Dr's instructions. It has been sheer terror to say the least, massive increase in insomnia, depression, anxiety, fatigue, etc. Fortunately I'm not working at the moment so have been able to rest most of the day aside from a daily walk which is the extent of exercise I've been capable of managing.

Anyway, I think if I could only sleep better then I'd be able to knuckle through this, so my question is, now that I'm off the poison...what can I do to help with insomnia. OTC antihistamines do the trick but I'm assuming they are unsafe for continued use? 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by manymoretodays
added name to title

July 2019 - Began Olanzapine 10mg for acute psychosis (dropped to 5mg after 3 weeks then 0mg after a week) - instant intense depression, anxiety, insomnia.

August 2019 - Hospitalised for depression/anxiety, back onto 10mg Olanzapine + Pristiq 250mg

October 2019 - Hospitalised again for depression, switched from Pristiq to Lexapro 20mg and from 10mg of Olanzapine to 5mg.

November 2019 - Switched to Prozac 60mg

December 2019 - Hospitalised again for depression, put back on 10mg Olanzapine, 12 ECT sessions

February 2020 - Began Olanzapine taper as per Dr's instructions, 2.5mg every 3 weeks - incremental increase in insomnia/depression with each cut.

April 2020 - Last dose of 2.5mg Olanzapine April 7th. - Insomnia, depression, anxiety, stomach aches, fatigue continue

• manymoretodays changed the title to MikeyJC: Olanzapine withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, MikeyJC.

Here are some links on dealing with insomnia.

Tips to help sleep - so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Tricks and tips to fall asleep faster

This link contains helpful information, including insomnia and also non-drug coping skills.  

Some members have found Melatonin helpful with insomnia.   
See Melatonin for sleep   It's best to start at a very low dosage, such as .25mg, and gradually increase if needed to the lowest effective dose.  

The following post by one of our moderators, Apace, has several excellent tips.

There is, unfortunately, no "silver bullet" to withdrawal or any of its symptoms, including insomnia.  If there were, SA would be a much smaller site than it is at this point.  Sadly, it continues to grow as more and more people get caught in the psychiatric medication "web."

As Gridley said and you by now clearly understand, insomnia and disordered sleeping is a hallmark of psychiatric medication withdrawal.  It starts earlier than that with many studies making it clear that SSRIs (and other psych meds) frequently suppress REM sleep for those who take the meds.  https://www.sleepio.com/articles/sleep-aids/antidepressants-and-sleep/  Given this as a backdrop, it should be no surprise that coming off the meds can wreak havoc on sleep.  The good news, however, is that the brain works hard to achieve homeostasis and, all other things being equal, the brain will return to a place where sleep becomes, as it should be, a matter of routine.  How long that takes for any one person is impossible to predict. 

So, what do you do?  In no particular order, some of the things to try:

• Don't place too much significance on sleep.  Rest should be the key and when your body absolutely needs to sleep it will.  The anxiety that comes with lying awake and saying "I must sleep" is far worse than the not sleeping.  It's hard but it can be done.
  • Try a journaling practice before bed -- get out the things that are on your mind and add 3 things you are grateful for from the day
  • Get a sleep ritual in place so that you do the same thing day after day and start to repair your circadian rhythms
  • Take a warm bath with epsom salts few hours before bedtime and add in a cup of chamomile tea
  • Use lavender essential oils in a diffuser at bedtime
  • Exercise early in the day so that you aren't activated near bedtime
  • Get outside and get some sunlight early in the day so that your rhythms are reestablished
  • Make sure you have a consistent bedtime 
  • Try not to be too activated in the couple of hours before bed and, of course, no caffeine
  • Add a meditation practice
  • Try yoga
  • Go for walks in nature
Most insomnia is the result of the body being "hyperstimulated."  It is very hard to calm down an overstimulated body, especially when it is the result of chemical cascades that come as a result of medication use and withdrawal.  But, it can be done to a certain degree and the skills learned will provide valuable as your body improves over time.  

From my own perspective, my sleep is still not great, but it it better than it was.  I went through many stretches of 2 or 3 days with zero or an hour or two a night of sleep.  At this point, I have the occasional sleepless night, but most nights I'm good for at least 5 and usually closer to 6 hours.  By "normal" people standards that's not great, but it feels pretty good when compared to 0 or 2-3 hours a night.  As the saying goes, "in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king!"

Try not to let it become the dominant factor in your life.  Over time, it will get better and you will heal.  Just do your best to continue to live your life what your brain is repairing itself.

---

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks so much for your thorough response Gridley. I will check out those links.

July 2019 - Began Olanzapine 10mg for acute psychosis (dropped to 5mg after 3 weeks then 0mg after a week) - instant intense depression, anxiety, insomnia.

August 2019 - Hospitalised for depression/anxiety, back onto 10mg Olanzapine + Pristiq 250mg

October 2019 - Hospitalised again for depression, switched from Pristiq to Lexapro 20mg and from 10mg of Olanzapine to 5mg.

December 2019 - Hospitalised again for depression, put back on 10mg Olanzapine, 12 ECT sessions

February 2020 - Began Olanzapine taper as per Dr's instructions, 2.5mg every 3 weeks - incremental increase in insomnia/depression with each cut.

April 2020 - Last dose of 2.5mg Olanzapine April 7th. - Insomnia, depression, anxiety, stomach aches, fatigue continue

• 2 months later...

Olanzapine withdrawal - What is actually going on?

Hi there,

As a sufferer of extreme withdrawal symptoms coming off Olanzapine I'm hoping someone can help me with an answer to my question. I'd like to know WHY exactly withdrawing causes insomnia? As in what is the specific mechanism behind this occurring? What's going on neurochemically that is resulting in this effect?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Sorry but how does this answer my question? I'm well aware of the sleep cycle.

MikeyJC, 

You "got sentenced" to 9 weeks and then a CT from 2.5mg, I went from 10 mg too and got 6 weeks and then CT from 2.5mg. After two weeks I thought I was going to die right there so I reinstated. Im still on the drug with severe insomnia and other problems 7 months later. My taper was doctor supervised but on my intitiative (they said I should stay on  for 2 years instead of tapering and they wouldnt buckle to give me a tapering plan until I had been on it for a month), however I was never told of any of the dangers of this drug, either of being on it or of getting off it. Doctors said it was my underlying condition emerging now when going off this protective drug, but in my view a condition I've never had before. Nor did I need the drug in the first place. I needed a sleeping pill due to external stress reaction but was forced on this. Hang in there.

They refused to give me melatonin, just various drugs, so I'm trying kiwi for sleep now: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21669584/

This research is not conclusive: funded by a kiwi producer and I've found no follow up studies from 9 years after. However if youre grasping for straws you might aswell grasp for a kiwi and see if it does anything. I'm not sure with me but it's generally considered a healthy tasty fruit.

I also do intense workouts. It forces the body to behave properly and creates change. I use supplements and go to bed the same time every day. Also I do intermittent fasting which In my view gives a prolonged recovery windows every day when not bothered by food digestion.

A week of oxazepam 10mg with 1 day of zopiclone 7.5mg and concurrent Zyprexa totalling: 10mg 25 days , 7.5mg 18 days, 5mg 14 days, 2.5mg 11 days,  10x0mg + 4x1mg. Very bad condition reinstated: zyprexa 7.5mg zopiclone 8.5mg, 25mg Propiomazine. Next day 5mg Z. Then 6 months taper to nothing but Zyprexa and 0.0mg again. 6 days 0mg. Reinstated 0.12mg x2 days. 23 june: 0.25mg. 29 june: 0.12mg. 8th and 9th july 2020 also tried 0.375mg Melatonin. 9 july 0.16mg. Made an error of judgement in august and was forced on various drugs in hospital mainly landing on: Abilify injections + pills for a daily total of 5-15 mg (for 2½ month) + zyprexa 3 days of 10mg mostly 2.5mg but started cheating. 14 oct 2020 only zyprexa and due to cheating earlier able to go 0.31mg! 30 oct 0.21mg, 13 nov 0.14mg, 28 nov 0.10mg, 14 dec 0.07mg, 04 jan 2021 0.035mg, 25 jan 0.017mg, 4 feb 2021 0.000 mg

7 hours ago, MikeyJC said:

Sorry but how does this answer my question? I'm well aware of the sleep

Olanzapine is a potent histamine receptor inhibitor which causes drowsiness. As you continue to take it over time the body adjusts to make the sedative effect less strong potentially by producing more histamine or producing more receptors. When you remove the drug you have these increased levels of histamine signalling which keeps you awake. Over time the histamine signalling will down regulate back to pre- drug levels but it will take time. Over the counter sleep aids are also anti- histamines which is why they can substitute for the olanzapine although I think they are less potent than olanzapine so it is a good sign that they work and suggests you have made some adaptation back to pre- drug levels of histamine signalling. Using those once in a while is OK when things get desperate but it will ultimately hinder your adaptation back to being able to sleep without drugs.

I too am tapering off olanzapine. It is very difficult even going slowly but the brain tends towards healing so it can be done. Healing is inevitable - it just takes time unfortunately.

Sept 2018 - Nov 2018 200mg sertraline, 7.5mg olanzapine. 

Nov 2018 - Jan 2018 200mg sertraline, 30mg mirtazapine, 7.5mg olanzapine.

Jan 2019 - mid Feb 2019 reduced sertraline from 200 - 50mg, 7.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine.

Feb 2019- Jun 2019 30mg mirtazapine, 50mg sertraline, 7.5mg olanzapine.

Jun 2019 - Oct 2019 30mg mirtazapine, 50mg sertraline, 5mg olanzapine.

Oct 2019 - Nov 2019 37.gmg sertraline, 39mg mirtazapine, 5mg olanzapine.

Nov 2019 -Dec 2019 25mg sertraline, 30mg mirtazapine, 5mg olanzapine. Jan 2020 18.75mg sertraline, 5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. Feb 2020 0mg sertraline, 2.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. May 2020 1.8mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. Aug 2020 2.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. Stabilised for 9 months @2.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. May2021 started slow taper from olanzapine, 5% previous dose per month. Oct 2021 1.875mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine.

11 hours ago, BadMedicine said:

Olanzapine is a potent histamine receptor inhibitor which causes drowsiness. As you continue to take it over time the body adjusts to make the sedative effect less strong potentially by producing more histamine or producing more receptors. When you remove the drug you have these increased levels of histamine signalling which keeps you awake. Over time the histamine signalling will down regulate back to pre- drug levels but it will take time. Over the counter sleep aids are also anti- histamines which is why they can substitute for the olanzapine although I think they are less potent than olanzapine so it is a good sign that they work and suggests you have made some adaptation back to pre- drug levels of histamine signalling. Using those once in a while is OK when things get desperate but it will ultimately hinder your adaptation back to being able to sleep without drugs.

I too am tapering off olanzapine. It is very difficult even going slowly but the brain tends towards healing so it can be done. Healing is inevitable - it just takes time unfortunately.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

• Moderator Emeritus

@BadMedicine

Thank you.  May I ask where you got that information from please?  It would be good for members to be able to know this.  Thanks.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

@ChessieCat there is a good article on wikipedia that lists and describes the pharmacology of olanzapine. The compensatory mechanisms that lead to insommnia upon withdrawal is best guess based on general reading about increased sensitivity of certain receptor systems following withdrawal of an antagonist.

Sept 2018 - Nov 2018 200mg sertraline, 7.5mg olanzapine. 

Nov 2018 - Jan 2018 200mg sertraline, 30mg mirtazapine, 7.5mg olanzapine.

Jan 2019 - mid Feb 2019 reduced sertraline from 200 - 50mg, 7.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine.

Feb 2019- Jun 2019 30mg mirtazapine, 50mg sertraline, 7.5mg olanzapine.

Jun 2019 - Oct 2019 30mg mirtazapine, 50mg sertraline, 5mg olanzapine.

Oct 2019 - Nov 2019 37.gmg sertraline, 39mg mirtazapine, 5mg olanzapine.

Nov 2019 -Dec 2019 25mg sertraline, 30mg mirtazapine, 5mg olanzapine. Jan 2020 18.75mg sertraline, 5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. Feb 2020 0mg sertraline, 2.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. May 2020 1.8mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. Aug 2020 2.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. Stabilised for 9 months @2.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. May2021 started slow taper from olanzapine, 5% previous dose per month. Oct 2021 1.875mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine.

Well this pretty much sums it up (though talking about Dopamine, assuming same would apply to Histamine)

The theory says that the affinities to different receptors decide which receptors get filled first. Olanzapine has the highest affinitiy to the H1 histamine receptor causing sedation and possibly weight gain. That's why the theory would have you on at least 5mg for antipsychotic effects, ie Dopamin receptor binding. The "antidepressant" serotonin receptor 5-Ht2a also a higher affinity with olanzapine than D-receptors. With lower doses it only functions as a sedative weight gainer in theory. Insomnia should then mainly manifest going below 5mg. Me coming off a low dose (0.12mg) and just then getting tardive dyskinesia supposedly a dopamin sensitivity dysfuinction it would appear there is significant dopamine receptor binding at low doses aswell though. This is also what I've read others believe. And some might have gotten insomnia tapering at higher doses.

A week of oxazepam 10mg with 1 day of zopiclone 7.5mg and concurrent Zyprexa totalling: 10mg 25 days , 7.5mg 18 days, 5mg 14 days, 2.5mg 11 days,  10x0mg + 4x1mg. Very bad condition reinstated: zyprexa 7.5mg zopiclone 8.5mg, 25mg Propiomazine. Next day 5mg Z. Then 6 months taper to nothing but Zyprexa and 0.0mg again. 6 days 0mg. Reinstated 0.12mg x2 days. 23 june: 0.25mg. 29 june: 0.12mg. 8th and 9th july 2020 also tried 0.375mg Melatonin. 9 july 0.16mg. Made an error of judgement in august and was forced on various drugs in hospital mainly landing on: Abilify injections + pills for a daily total of 5-15 mg (for 2½ month) + zyprexa 3 days of 10mg mostly 2.5mg but started cheating. 14 oct 2020 only zyprexa and due to cheating earlier able to go 0.31mg! 30 oct 0.21mg, 13 nov 0.14mg, 28 nov 0.10mg, 14 dec 0.07mg, 04 jan 2021 0.035mg, 25 jan 0.017mg, 4 feb 2021 0.000 mg