SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

DaBro: been off 17 months continuing to recover

DaBro

• Mentor

Hi Brassmonkey. First let me thank you for your extremely helpful posts which have been a source of inspiration during my many low days. My story is that after what I would describe as a pretty stable life, I had some heart problems and experienced some unpleasant and mentally exhausting things in work that led to adrenal fatigue and chronic insomnia. I physically crashed in November 2016 and ended up on 50mg Sertraline. It took 2-3 months to stabilise my sleep and I phased back into work over 6 months. I was functioning in work but little more and was pretty much washed up by the weekends. In work I had terrible tinnitus and would have to hide places for 30 minutes once or twice a day to 'time out' to get the energy to survive the day. I'd crash on the couch after work each day and the weekends were mainly spent in bed.

I came off the Sertraline in August 2017 CT, which didn't go well and my Doctor told me it was a return of the original symptoms. I know we've seen that story a lot in threads. By September I was back on Sertraline, but 25mg this time. The pattern in work continued with small incremental improvements in energy. 1 year later in August 2018, I decided to come off the Sertraline again, but this time I reduced the dose each day by unscientifically chipping a bit more off the tablets. I guess I'd describe it as a fast taper as I reduced from 25mg to zero over 10 weeks.

My story since maps exactly what you have described in your posts. I had 3 really good days after my first '0' day and then the brain zaps, nausea and window & wave pattern started with a vengeance. I would say for a year I had a fairly predictable window/wave pattern, with most weekdays being fairly OK, certainly sharper than when I was on the drug but the weekend my crashes were worse. I figured it would improve with time, but after several months I didn't feel it was. I know my wife found it hard that I was not contributing to the family at weekends in particular.  Eventually the opportunity came to take redundancy from work. My performance reviews had gone from exceptional to terrible and since work had been one of the triggers of the whole reason for going on Sertraline in the first place I decided to jump before I was pushed and give my body a chance to properly heal. I would say this was the start of a whole new phase.

In the 7 months I've been off work I've experienced what you describe as the 8, 12 and 18 month intense waves, but at months 12,15, and 17. Between these month long painful events I've felt really really good. The 12 month wave was particularly bad - 5 weeks long and for 2 of them I was pretty much bedbound. I wonder if the intensity is partly because I've allowed myself the space and time to heal and the body is taking full advantage of that time. I'm currently in the middle of the 17 month one and am trying to suppress my frustration, since March was a really excellent month when I thought I might be finally over the worst. I was even getting ready to write my success story on this site when "Boom" it hit me. 

I guess my question is whether based on your experience and other posts is the question we all keep asking: "Am I nearly there?", but I think I already know the answer is that I'll have to wait to find out. Certainly things are improving, I rarely crash on the couch any more and sleep is much better. My wife says I'm improving and am much better company. It certainly feels like every wave is the body going into repair mode and each window is better than the last. I feel sharper, even in the waves. I can cope with short periods of anxiety and tinnitus as I know they will pass, but the nausea and head clicking are quite debilitating and prevent me being able to concentrate on much else. It's like a bad hangover. I suspect my body is healing from both the Sertraline and Burnout from Adrenal Fatigue and Chronic Insomnia (which I've read can also take years).

So in summary, 3.5 years since my burnout, 2 years on Sertraline 2016-18, most of it at 25mg (half the smallest dose), FT over 10 weeks or so and now coming up for 18 months at 0 with the 12 & 15 month waves behind me and hopefully close to the end of the 17 month wave. Hoping to be in a place I can reliably function 7 days a week with manageable mild symptoms.

50 mg Sertraline Nov 2016 to Dec 2016

100 mg Sertraline Jan - March 2017

50 mg Sertraline April - June 2017

25 mg Sertraline July 2017 - Sept 2018

12.5 mg Sertraline Oct 2018

0 mg Nov 1 2018

Hi DaBro-- I've established an introduction thread for you.  This will be the place for you to ask questions, keep notes and discuss your journey.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

@DaBro, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to DaBro: been off 17 months continuing to recover
  • Mentor

Hello all. Im after any advice from members.

I’m 21 months post a too fast taper from 50/25mg Zoloft. I’ve just had a pretty grim 10 months but seem to be through the worst of nausea, insomnia, spasms, dizziness and fatigue. 

I’m waking up in the mornings recently with tension headaches, burning brain sensations, cortisol rush, sweats and mild fatigue. I have to force myself out of bed and can then push through it and I’m actually starting a job in 3 weeks for the first time in a year. 

My question is whether there’s anything to help reduce the intensity of tension headaches as along with tinnitus and the burning sensations they are with me for large portions of the day. 

I take Omega 3 and pro biotic every morning. I’ve recently tried magnesium Threonate and Vit C but they make the sensations worse. Ibuprofen and paracetamol do nothing. A small alcoholic drink at bedtime makes it better which helps me get to sleep but that clearly isn’t a daytime option.

i have the ‘this too will pass’ thought as with all the other symptoms but would appreciate any advice on coping tips or supplements. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• Mentor

I'm wondering if this is SSRI-Induced Hypoglycemia

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• Administrator

Why do you call it a tension headache?

Why do you think it's hypoglycemia? Do you tend towards hypoglycemia?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Mentor

It feels like my head is in a G clamp with tinnitus (whistling and clicking). I assume that’s what a tension headache is. 

Ive never had blood sugar problems but I saw in an old post that morning fatigue, sweats and shaking could be related to blood sugar. I feel better after breakfast too. 

I notice some foods foods make the head sensations worse. Ice cream is the worst but apples do it too. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• Administrator

More likely your morning symptoms are mild hangover from prior night's alcohol.

Do you also clench your teeth?

See

• Mentor

Thanks for the thread.

On the Alcohol I get the problem the same whether I’ve had a drink or not and I don’t drink in the week. I’m going to try eating a bit more through the day (snacking) to see if that helps. I’ve found a banana at bedtime seems to help. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Quoted from another topic.  Helpful information for member's introduction topic:

4 hours ago, DaBro said:

So I realise this an old post, but I wondered if you have an update Picchy. 

I had had heart surgery and a traumatic event in work in April 2016 and ended up not sleeping and highly anxious. Fast forward to Nov 16 and I’m diagnosed with CFS and put on Zoloft which was horrific but it got me sleeping. 

I then improved slowly in 2017 and was sort of able to work full time in 2018 with tactical time outs, but I felt like I’d plateaued and didn’t like the Zoloft side effects so decided to come off Zoloft in Nov 18. 

I didn’ Know about withdrawal so followed my doctor instructions and tapered off over a couple of weeks. Initially I felt sharper but wasn’t sleeping so well and it affected my work. Then several months later I experienced withdrawal which wrote off mid 19 to mid 20. 

So here I am now, feeling similar to how I was in 2016, and certainly not as good as 18 but free from Zoloft. 

I dont know if the Zoloft actually helped reduce the symptoms of CFS, probably by helping me sleep and I’m back with my old CFS

Or

Im still getting zaps and pulsative tinnitus (pop rocks) which may be the scrag end of WD

or,

purging the Zoloft is actually allowing some healing from CFS as my frontal lobe is experiencing all kinds of burning and jabbing sensations which I never had on Zoloft. 

If you can share anything on how your journey in recent years has gone I’d appreciate it. Of course I understand we all have different CFS and WD symptoms. I’m currently barely holding down a job and struggling to sleep more than 5-6 hours. 

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mentor
On 8/13/2020 at 11:54 PM, Altostrata said:

@DaBro, how are you doing?

Hi, another quick update. I’m at 25 months now, the food sensitivities have gone and my sleep is improving with Magnesium Glycinate at night and B12 spray in the morning. I’ve improved enough to start working again which is tough going but my employer is being supportive. 

New symptoms are Tardive Dyskinesia with tongue and leg tremors in the mornings and my hands and throat clench. I continue to get head clicking but it’s moved to right above my eyes. Am seeing a neurologist 12/1/21. 

I think its all healing and going the the right way as I know I’m improving and symptoms keep changing. I managed to cry with tears for the first time in ages last week and I’m able to rise above my lows and anxious thoughts. I guess I’m more accepting now than ever that this will take time but will end well eventually 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

So happy new year everyone. 

Its now 26 months so year 3 has begun. My good news is that my sleeping is much better. After 2 years of Insomnia I’m finding myself sleeping well for 8-10 hours most nights. My physical symptoms (TD and zaps in particular) are reducing but have been replaced with emotional ones. Lots of Flashbacks and self criticism going on, which I know is WD. 

Ive joined a FB group #more than 2 weeks, which is pushing for better support for tapering including tapering strips and doctor education. Website is letstalkwithdrawal.com

Had a wave start today which has set me back...new year, no change....WD still here....with 15 mins of tremors and feeling like a part of my brain (just above the eyes) is missing and no energy, but that follows 2 pretty good weeks over Christmas. 

Hoping the better sleep is a sign of improvement. It seems many on here have posted their success stories a few months after improved sleep. 

The prospect of another year is tough, so I think I just needed to get this off my chest. Thanks for everyone’s support. We will get through this together.

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

A quick update since I saw the neurologist last week. He confirmed that it’s unlikely my tremors are cause for concern (epilepsy or Parkinson’s for example) since they come and go within around 15 minutes and because I was able to film them. He acknowledged SSRIs could induce tremors but was not aware of withdrawal syndrome. In fact when I mentioned brain zaps he said he’d never heard of them and seemed unconvinced of my description. 

I’m continuing to improve. I’m holding down my job mainly due to a very sympathetic and supportive boss with 2 friends who tried and failed to quit Cilatopram. Working does take my mind off WD but it’s exhausting. Every week is another week closer to recovery and another weeks pay. 🙂

I’m sleeping well. I’m actually getting 9-11 hours (which is great after almost 2 years of insomnia and early waking) but waking feeling groggy with pulsing head and whistling tinnitus which I am taking as overnight healing. Many symptoms seem to be reducing, namely Insomnia (hoo-rah), TD, Sweats, Food Intolerances and Nausea. I have more stamina. Main symptoms now are the headache/migraine type symptoms, tingling fingers and feet, mental fatigue and flashbacks which are a mixture of entertaining and self critical. I know it’s WD and am in a good enough place to rise above it. Kids and wife say I’m more like my old self too. I can cry and laugh now. 

Truly hoping the excessive sleep is a sign of accelerated healing. 

Still taking O3, Magnesium Glycinate and Lavendar oil on my pillow daily. A brief dabble with CBD oil was inconclusive, but I got diarrhoea and it didn’t help sleep so I stopped. This is month 27 post 0. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

Sounds like you're making good progress. Great news :)

25/8/2020 - 15/9/2020 - 15mg mirtazapine

16/9/2020 - 30mg mirtazapine

17/9/2020 - 22/9/2020 - 7.5 mg mirtazapine

23/9/2020 - 6/10/2020 - 3.75mg mirtazapine

7/10/2020 - 15/10/2020 - 7.5 mg mirtazapine

16/10/2020 - 20/10/2020 - 15 mg mirtazapine

21/10/2020 - 22/10/2020 - 7.5 mg mirtazapine

23/10/202 - 26/11/2020 - 15 mg mirtazapine

27/11/2020 - 10/12/2020 -13.5 mg mirtazapine

11/12/2020 - 17/12/2020 - 12 mg mirtazapine

18/12/2020 - 26/12/2020 - 11.75 mg mirtazapine

• Mentor
2 minutes ago, AdviceNeeded said:

Sounds like you're making good progress. Great news :)

Thanks. Definitely more predictable and less intense. I remember being bed bound 12 months ago. Hopefully this is my year. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

I’m glad you are healing.  I’m on month 8 of a sertraline rapid taper.  Your posts give me hope that I will heal also.  🙂

Paxil 2001- 2016.  Came off of it on a slow taper.  After 9-12 months, I was put back on Paxil because I was unable to function. Paxil reinstatement triggered a rash.  I was then placed on 20 mg of Cymbalta on 2018.  I chose to take 10 mg.  I then had to be taken off of Cymbalta due to it causing cardiac issues in 2019.  I was placed on Seroquel and it caused a rash.  I was then moved to 12.5 mg of sertraline  where I did a fast taper which ended April/May of 2020.  I had to fast taper because of joint pain and joint redness.  August 2020, I was considered presumptive positive.  Since then, I’ve been prescribed Atenolol and Diazepam for withdrawal symptoms of tachycardia and massive anxiety.  I take these very sporadically and less than 1/4 of a tablet at a time.  I was given metformin in September 2020 for diabetes and it triggered massive anxiety after 1/4 of a pill.  I attempted to reinstate 1 mg of sertraline on 9/20/20.  I am supposed to be taking B12 injections and prescribed vitamin D.  I will stop these for now.  On 9/29/20 I was moved from 75 mcg generic levothyroxine to 88 mcg Synthroid.  This triggered anxiety approximately 2.5 hours later.

10/5/20 less than 1/8 teaspoon of Benadryl 

10/7/20 & 10/8/20 .10ml Benadryl (stopped 10/2020)

10/9/20 3mg Atenolol  (stopped 11/2020)

10/16/20 started taking magnesium citrate during the day (stopped 10/2020 due to it triggering more anxiety)

11/9/20 grain of diazepam @ 2:30 am for muscle spasm pain (stopped 11/2020)

11/10/20 .50mg of metoprolol tartrate (stopped 11/10/20 due to nausea, weakness in arms & legs, anxiety)

11/11/20 using lidocaine patch on neck and chest for pain due to muscle spasms

1/1/21       1 drop of liquid b12 (stopped 1/4/21)

• Mentor
8 minutes ago, Sleepless said:

I’m glad you are healing.  I’m on month 8 of a sertraline rapid taper.  Your posts give me hope that I will heal also.  🙂

Thanks Sleepless. I went from 12.5 to zero as it was the smallest I could break with my nail and my doctor told me that 12.5 was so low it was probably doing nothing, just placebo. To be fair he’s coming around to WD being real now. I saw you had some problems with a Magnesium supplement. I tried a few and found they increased anxiety but Glycinate helped calm my head. I found it reduced middle of the night waking in particular. Of all my symptoms Insomnia was the worst as it makes the following day so hard. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

I’m still having trouble with supplements and food.  I’ve also learned that my vitamin d is too low again.  So I’m going to have to start back on that.  

Sleep wise, I’m doing good.  It’s almost normal unless I trigger my nervous system.  Then I end up with mild insomnia and horrible night sweats.

Oh well..  At least you are getting better. Your story makes me hopeful that I will start gaining some ground when it comes to healing.

Paxil 2001- 2016.  Came off of it on a slow taper.  After 9-12 months, I was put back on Paxil because I was unable to function. Paxil reinstatement triggered a rash.  I was then placed on 20 mg of Cymbalta on 2018.  I chose to take 10 mg.  I then had to be taken off of Cymbalta due to it causing cardiac issues in 2019.  I was placed on Seroquel and it caused a rash.  I was then moved to 12.5 mg of sertraline  where I did a fast taper which ended April/May of 2020.  I had to fast taper because of joint pain and joint redness.  August 2020, I was considered presumptive positive.  Since then, I’ve been prescribed Atenolol and Diazepam for withdrawal symptoms of tachycardia and massive anxiety.  I take these very sporadically and less than 1/4 of a tablet at a time.  I was given metformin in September 2020 for diabetes and it triggered massive anxiety after 1/4 of a pill.  I attempted to reinstate 1 mg of sertraline on 9/20/20.  I am supposed to be taking B12 injections and prescribed vitamin D.  I will stop these for now.  On 9/29/20 I was moved from 75 mcg generic levothyroxine to 88 mcg Synthroid.  This triggered anxiety approximately 2.5 hours later.

10/5/20 less than 1/8 teaspoon of Benadryl 

10/7/20 & 10/8/20 .10ml Benadryl (stopped 10/2020)

10/9/20 3mg Atenolol  (stopped 11/2020)

10/16/20 started taking magnesium citrate during the day (stopped 10/2020 due to it triggering more anxiety)

11/9/20 grain of diazepam @ 2:30 am for muscle spasm pain (stopped 11/2020)

11/10/20 .50mg of metoprolol tartrate (stopped 11/10/20 due to nausea, weakness in arms & legs, anxiety)

11/11/20 using lidocaine patch on neck and chest for pain due to muscle spasms

1/1/21       1 drop of liquid b12 (stopped 1/4/21)

• Mentor

Dear @DaBro, I read some of your posts and I'm sorry that you too had to go through this hellish journey. I read that severe WD hit you late... Also for me the worst came from 6-7 months off... I'm wondering if you have a theory about this... In my mind abstinence was present from the beginning but the issues were mild then some stressful situations overlapped and maybe my body, already exhausted from WD, had a collapse... Sometimes I try to find an answer but I know that all we can do is to move on...🙏

July 2015: the 20mg citalopram for great stress begins

After two years I start tapering (slow but without medical advice) and I guess wrongly. First up to 10 mg, then 5 mg and 2 mg (liquid solution) and skips

January 2020 (I don't remember exactly the day): off citalopram (last dose 2mg).

June 2020: adrenal crash. The beginning of Hell on Earth

Current supplement:

- saffron pill (20 mg) + vit. E, omega 3 (EPA + DHA) 2g, magnesium bisglycinate 300 mg, iron , vitamin D3 (2500ui) +K7 (50 ui), vitamin C (1g) + quercitin (25 mg), theanine (as necessary).

Try meditating / mindfulness, walking every day, CBT/ACT, massage.

"E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle" ("And so we went out to see the stars again")

(Dante Alighieri, Divine Comedy , Inferno, XXXIV, 139)

• Mentor

@Leilathanks for your reply. I also wonder about my delayed onset. In March 2016 I had issues with health and work and got Chronic Fatigue and with it Insomnia. By November 2016 I was barely functioning and was put on Sertraline. I had a month of hell going on but it did improve my sleep. After 2 years on Sertraline my Sleeping was good but my stamina wasn’t and I didn’t like the side effects so I came off in Nov 18. I would say my sleeping got a little worse but otherwise all I got when coming off was brain zaps. 

Eventually I decided enough was enough and decided to quit work and take proper time out. This was 1 year after zero. This is when WD symptoms started. 

I think my body basically said ‘thanks’ as I’d finally given myself space to recover from burnout, Chronic Fatigue and WD and I think my symptoms are a mix of all those things. I’m feeling much better than 2020. 

So in answer to your question I think I finally gave my body space to heal when I stopped working and it took the opportunity. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

@DaBro, Thank you for your updates! It is encouraging to read of your progress and I'm glad the insomnia has improved! I also have been sleeping a lot (9-10 hours per night) so I think/hope it is the brain's way of trying to heal itself, like you mentioned as well.

I hope things continue to improve. Sending support <3. 

2005 - Zoloft, 200 mg for childhood anxiety (starting at age 11)

Summer 2015 - Switched to Prozac, 40 mg  

June 2019 - Tapered to 10 mg Prozac, no adverse effects. Held for 1 year. 

June 2020 - Discontinued Prozac. Horrible withdrawal. Did not realize it was withdrawal at first. 

Nov 2020 - Reinstated Prozac 2.5 mg. Still experiencing withdrawal symptoms. 

May 2021 - Prozac 2.0 mg. Still experiencing symptoms - some symptoms have improved, but situational factors have worsened.

August 12 2021 - Prozac 2.25 mg. Partial reinstatement as symptoms had worsened

June 17 2022 - Prozac 2.0 mg; Sept 13 2022 - Prozac 1.75 mg; Nov 1 2022 - Prozac 1.5 mg; Feb 1 2023 - Prozac 1.25 mg; Apr 1 2023 - Prozac 1.0 mg; June 15, 2023 - Prozac 0.75 mg; Aug 15, 2023 - Prozac 0.5 mg

• Mentor

Dear @Dabro, thank you for you explanation! Yes, I agree. It's like tight rope and when we release it, we had to manage with the fluctuation to reach equilibrium. Your story of progressive healing give me hope! Wish you more and more healing!

July 2015: the 20mg citalopram for great stress begins

After two years I start tapering (slow but without medical advice) and I guess wrongly. First up to 10 mg, then 5 mg and 2 mg (liquid solution) and skips

January 2020 (I don't remember exactly the day): off citalopram (last dose 2mg).

June 2020: adrenal crash. The beginning of Hell on Earth

Current supplement:

- saffron pill (20 mg) + vit. E, omega 3 (EPA + DHA) 2g, magnesium bisglycinate 300 mg, iron , vitamin D3 (2500ui) +K7 (50 ui), vitamin C (1g) + quercitin (25 mg), theanine (as necessary).

Try meditating / mindfulness, walking every day, CBT/ACT, massage.

"E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle" ("And so we went out to see the stars again")

(Dante Alighieri, Divine Comedy , Inferno, XXXIV, 139)

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

@DaBro has posted about his recovery:

Please congratulate him in the Success Stories forum. As is our custom, I'm closing this topic now.

• Altostrata locked this topic