Tips for living alone during this current climate whilst going through WD

sunnysideup69

Hey all.

Those of you who have experience with living alone and coping with WD during this current 'time', I'm really interested in how you're coping. I can't quite decide whether I like the isolation or not.

On the one hand, initially I was happy about not having to go into work. More time for recovery etc. I have to work at home, but it's really very individual work.

I'm beginning to miss not going into work as that was giving me some people contact and was helpful for recovery.

What kinds of things are you doing to get some people contact? I find connecting with people face to face is really important for some self regulation.

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

On 4/18/2020 at 12:05 PM, sunnysideup69 said:

Hey all.

Those of you who have experience with living alone and coping with WD during this current 'time', I'm really interested in how you're coping. I can't quite decide whether I like the isolation or not.

On the one hand, initially I was happy about not having to go into work. More time for recovery etc. I have to work at home, but it's really very individual work.

I'm beginning to miss not going into work as that was giving me some people contact and was helpful for recovery.

What kinds of things are you doing to get some people contact? I find connecting with people face to face is really important for some self regulation.

I've had a nasty wave recently so it's been very challenging not being able to go out and walk around as much. Even when I do go for walks I end up being freaked out by the completely empty streets. When in a wave I self isolate not returning calls and that's bad. 

Things that help - attending work meetings on Zoom, playing boardgames with people online, some friends organize pub quizzes so I can attend via zoom.

The hardest part for me has been that I don't have energy to do exercise and end up in a vicious cycle of lying on the couch in front of the computer the whole time which lowers energy further. Walking is what usually gets me through the difficult times and just seeing other people is good so I'm struggling without that.

Board games resources online (these are not as intense as videogames which is a culture onto itself)

Scribble io - online pictionary. You can play with strangers.

Boardgamearena.com - can play with strangers, game descriptions to learn

I like these because they are interactive which is different from just watching TV or YouTube which tends to be more passive. You can also play with people you know and voice or video chat in the background. 

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

I’m struggling because I have all of these physical symptoms (My skin is thin and burning, circulation is bad, having some urology problems too) that may or may not be related to withdrawal and I cannot go to the doctor or dermatologist and get these problems checked out. That is currently the biggest struggle I’m having right now as a result of the coronavirus. 

There has also been an uptick in anxiety. I cannot tell if it’s because of the coronavirus situation or not. Been waking up with an extreme rush of panic, feel anxious all day, been having full blown panic attacks at night. I rarely had severe panic attacks prior. Getting any kind of help aside from dialing 911 is virtually impossible at 11PM. I can’t even go to the pharmacy because of the limited hours which is something I normally would have done

Prozac (2007-2008), Zoloft (2009-2017) Paxil (2017-2018), Celexa (2018), Luvox (2018-Current) Average 50-200. Nothing as of January 2019

Lorazepam 2007-Current 2MG 3 times a day

1 hour ago, jeremy1069 said:

I’m struggling because I have all of these physical symptoms (My skin is thin and burning, circulation is bad, having some urology problems too) that may or may not be related to withdrawal and I cannot go to the doctor or dermatologist and get these problems checked out. That is currently the biggest struggle I’m having right now as a result of the coronavirus. 

There has also been an uptick in anxiety. I cannot tell if it’s because of the coronavirus situation or not. Been waking up with an extreme rush of panic, feel anxious all day, been having full blown panic attacks at night. I rarely had severe panic attacks prior. Getting any kind of help aside from dialing 911 is virtually impossible at 11PM. I can’t even go to the pharmacy because of the limited hours which is something I normally would have done

Hi Jeremy,

The waking up with what I call a terror rush is for me the most common and most persistent so far withdrawal symptom. Not sure if it's covid related but it does get exacerbated for me in difficult situations. 

Burning skin and urology issues I've heard as reported withdrawal symptoms but I didn't have them myself. Can you get a phone appointment with a doctor?

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

33 minutes ago, Onmyway said:

Hi Jeremy,

The waking up with what I call a terror rush is for me the most common and most persistent so far withdrawal symptom. Not sure if it's covid related but it does get exacerbated for me in difficult situations. 

Burning skin and urology issues I've heard as reported withdrawal symptoms but I didn't have them myself. Can you get a phone appointment with a doctor?

OMW

I was able to get a phone appointment with my psychiatrist but that’s about it. The waking terrors usually last up to 3 hours. I have had them before but they have jumped to an extreme level in the past few weeks. The coronavirus situation could not be helping it much 

Prozac (2007-2008), Zoloft (2009-2017) Paxil (2017-2018), Celexa (2018), Luvox (2018-Current) Average 50-200. Nothing as of January 2019

Lorazepam 2007-Current 2MG 3 times a day

I'm alone in a new-ish town and going through WD.  Since I'm so exhausted most of the time and am having bad stomach and bladder pain/nausea it is actually good everyone in my company is working from home.  But I also miss getting exercise.  I can't take walks longer than 3 min or I get too dizzy and nauseated.  I've lost like 10% of muscle since my bad experience began in early January.  I miss working out so badly.  I was able to do it once in the last 4 mths and I never have felt so good as I did after that lift. 

Was on Lexapro for 66 days starting in early January.  5mg for a week, 10mg for 3, 7.5 for 3 days, then 5mg and 2.5mg for approx two weeks after.  

Was on Lithium for 60 days starting in late January. 1 300mg ER pill a day.  Stopped CT

Was given a .5 ativan script in early Jan.  Took it maybe 20x total from early Jan to beg of June, 2020.

-Fall of 2019:  had two vertigo attacks for the first time with no warning, each followed by 4-5 days of morning dizziness.

-Last Friday of 2019:  had first ever, out of the blue, panic attack.  Went to ER- didn't know what was happening.  Was diagnosed w/GAD, even though had never had anxiety or depression problems before.  Basically no health problems at all prior to this, and in very good shape emotionally, physically, and mentally.

-4 days after panic attack given lexapro.  That's when the hell began.  Was on it 66 days.  Reacted badly to it.  Gave me suicidal ideation 4 wks after starting it, plus exhaustion, off the charts anxiety, dizziness, and fatigue.  Did a fast taper over 5 wks.  Was on it 66 days total.

-been off lexapro completely since mid-March, 2020.  First 3 weeks I got better and better.  Then, week 4 into WD got slammed.  Since then, over 64 side effects/symptoms.  Can't drive.  At times, barely surviving.

-since Jan., have been to the e r 16x.

-was given lithium after experienced SI from lexapro to as a "mood stabilizer".  Never really noticed anything from it, nor anything after stopping it, except for a few days of heightened depression about a week after.

-was given low dosage ativan script 2nd week into lexapro to deal with the anxiety/panic spike caused by the lexapro.  Took it perhaps 20x between Jan and June, 2020.  Always made me feel better, but last time it was taken (early June) experienced intrusive thoughts after so stopped it.  Didn't feel any negative reaction from stopping it, perhaps b/c it was taken so infrequently and the dosage was so low. 

On 4/20/2020 at 4:40 AM, Onmyway said:

I've had a nasty wave recently so it's been very challenging not being able to go out and walk around as much. Even when I do go for walks I end up being freaked out by the completely empty streets. When in a wave I self isolate not returning calls and that's bad. 

Things that help - attending work meetings on Zoom, playing boardgames with people online, some friends organize pub quizzes so I can attend via zoom.

The hardest part for me has been that I don't have energy to do exercise and end up in a vicious cycle of lying on the couch in front of the computer the whole time which lowers energy further. Walking is what usually gets me through the difficult times and just seeing other people is good so I'm struggling without that.

Board games resources online (these are not as intense as videogames which is a culture onto itself)

Scribble io - online pictionary. You can play with strangers.

Boardgamearena.com - can play with strangers, game descriptions to learn

I like these because they are interactive which is different from just watching TV or YouTube which tends to be more passive. You can also play with people you know and voice or video chat in the background. 

Thank you - love these interactive ideas! I've been Zoom chatting with friends but there's not much to chat about as noone's going anywhere/ doing anything! Games are a good idea xxx

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

On 4/21/2020 at 6:14 PM, jeremy1069 said:

Sorry you're struggling. I think at first, I definitely experienced an uptick because of the virus....definitely could exacerbate WD. Hang in there. All I can offer is that I had a lot of anxiety for a long time and it does get better.

On 4/26/2020 at 12:16 AM, NoMoreLexapro said:

I'm alone in a new-ish town and going through WD.  Since I'm so exhausted most of the time and am having bad stomach and bladder pain/nausea it is actually good everyone in my company is working from home.  But I also miss getting exercise.  I can't take walks longer than 3 min or I get too dizzy and nauseated.  I've lost like 10% of muscle since my bad experience began in early January.  I miss working out so badly.  I was able to do it once in the last 4 mths and I never have felt so good as I did after that lift. 

That sounds tough, about the exercise.If you can do three minutes, then walk for three minutes, and build up slowly. I know it's frustrating, but some exercise is better than none. Also, you'll regain the muscle. But don't overdo it at the moment. I'm a runner, but I don't run if going through worse stress/ WD because I find it depletes me.

13 hours ago, sunnysideup69 said:

That sounds tough, about the exercise.If you can do three minutes, then walk for three minutes, and build up slowly. I know it's frustrating, but some exercise is better than none. Also, you'll regain the muscle. But don't overdo it at the moment. I'm a runner, but I don't run if going through worse stress/ WD because I find it depletes me.

Yes, I find in WD I have so much less stamina.  I tried to take a 5 min walk about 10 days ago and I had to lay in bed all afternoon after that due to nausea and brain fog :(

Was on Lexapro for 66 days starting in early January.  5mg for a week, 10mg for 3, 7.5 for 3 days, then 5mg and 2.5mg for approx two weeks after.  

Was on Lithium for 60 days starting in late January. 1 300mg ER pill a day.  Stopped CT

Was given a .5 ativan script in early Jan.  Took it maybe 20x total from early Jan to beg of June, 2020.

-Fall of 2019:  had two vertigo attacks for the first time with no warning, each followed by 4-5 days of morning dizziness.

-Last Friday of 2019:  had first ever, out of the blue, panic attack.  Went to ER- didn't know what was happening.  Was diagnosed w/GAD, even though had never had anxiety or depression problems before.  Basically no health problems at all prior to this, and in very good shape emotionally, physically, and mentally.

-4 days after panic attack given lexapro.  That's when the hell began.  Was on it 66 days.  Reacted badly to it.  Gave me suicidal ideation 4 wks after starting it, plus exhaustion, off the charts anxiety, dizziness, and fatigue.  Did a fast taper over 5 wks.  Was on it 66 days total.

-been off lexapro completely since mid-March, 2020.  First 3 weeks I got better and better.  Then, week 4 into WD got slammed.  Since then, over 64 side effects/symptoms.  Can't drive.  At times, barely surviving.

-since Jan., have been to the e r 16x.

-was given lithium after experienced SI from lexapro to as a "mood stabilizer".  Never really noticed anything from it, nor anything after stopping it, except for a few days of heightened depression about a week after.

-was given low dosage ativan script 2nd week into lexapro to deal with the anxiety/panic spike caused by the lexapro.  Took it perhaps 20x between Jan and June, 2020.  Always made me feel better, but last time it was taken (early June) experienced intrusive thoughts after so stopped it.  Didn't feel any negative reaction from stopping it, perhaps b/c it was taken so infrequently and the dosage was so low. 

On 4/27/2020 at 8:10 PM, NoMoreLexapro said:

Yes, I find in WD I have so much less stamina.  I tried to take a 5 min walk about 10 days ago and I had to lay in bed all afternoon after that due to nausea and brain fog :(

Yes, that's rough, I do understand. Build up slowly. Do what you can, even if it seems very little. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy