NoMoreLexapro: short time on Lexapro - still hell being off

NoMoreLexapro

In fall, 2019 out of the blue, without warning, I had two vertigo attacks (different weeks).  For 4 days after I had dizziness while driving to work.  I learned about maneuvers  to re-set ear particles and those helped.   4 days after the 2nd vertigo attack I had my first ever panic attack.  Typical first-timer story: had no idea what was going on, went to the ER.  All tests came back negative.  Was diagnosed with GAD, even though I've never had an anxiety problem or depression diagnosis my whole life (middle aged here).  3 days after panic attack was prescribed lexapro.  That's when the hell began. 

I've never had to take any medications at all my whole life, save for a daily multivitamin.  For a few months I took some thyroid medication to reduce some elevated antibody levels but that solved that (about 7 yrs ago).  Never been on any psychiatric med at all. 

The 9 weeks and 2 days I was on lex was the worst experience of my life.  At times, unbearable anxiety, exhausted, dizzy every single day I was on it, random intrusive dark thoughts, brain fog...  An anxiety attack 4 weeks into lexapro sent me to a psychiatric hospital for 4 days the first time when it caused intrusive passive suicidal thoughts (first time in my life).  While there a psychiatrist prescribed a low dosage of lithium for "mood stabilization".  After learning what sent me to the hospital the psychiatrist urged me to stop lexapro asap.  We agreed on a taper...a very rapid taper.  I went from 10mg to nothing over the next 5 wks or so.  I couldn't wait to get off- unlike others, I never "settled" on lexapro...every day was bad and the introduction of the dark thoughts was the straw that broke the camel's back. 

Have been off lex for 5 wks now.  For 3 wks main side effects while on the drug dissipated gradually (anxiety, dizziness, brain fog, dark thoughts).  Then, in the last two wks, new problems: random nausea (no vomiting yet), often in the morning, but can happens at other times, too.  Bladder issues: pain and feeling like I have to pee every 5 min.  Insomnia. Random shivering chills, even though my apt is 72 degrees.  Dizziness is now back, stronger than ever.  Days/parts of days when I'm so exhausted and tired I can barely move around the apartment- a 5 minute walk outside is way too much.  Periods of depression every day, with passive, vague dark thoughts. 

A Dr-on-Demand psychiatrist said to quit the lithium cold turkey about 10 days ago- did that too.  Can't tell if some of what I'm experiencing now is from lex or lithium w/d.  Am thrilled to be off all these terrible psychiatric drugs but have no idea what my journey will be like moving forward. 

Missed 6-7 wks of work while on lexapro.  Am now working from home due to COVID (a blessing in disguise?).  Can't believe that I'm still having problems when I was only on these drugs for a short period, but am now reading about people who never recover and have problems after only being on psychiatric drugs for as short as 3 weeks.  That terrifies me. 

Never been diagnosed with bi-polar or any other mental illness.  Have been to the ER 9x since Jan- almost every test you can imagine has been run...everything comes back negative/pristine/clear.  I've never felt so awful and am not someone who runs to the ER when I get a paper cut but am tired of hospital Dr's yelling at me when I've gone ("You don't belong here! You have nothing wrong with you! Could you consider these problems are self-created?") even though I've felt I had no other option.  Am grateful the blood, lithium, thyroid, CAT, MRI, blood culture, etc. tests all come back looking so good, but that somehow doesn't help how I feel. 

Hired a nutritional coach who had me try all kinds of supplements, most of which I reacted badly to: seriphos, tryptophan, melatonin, l-phenalalynine, amino acids, inositol.  The only things that have helped me (mainly as I tapered) were nutritional supplements:  magnesium, vit-C, omega-3, daily multi.  Take 4mg zofran if nausea gets bad.  Occasionally take .5 ativan if my anxiety is out of control and all my mindfulness, meditation, diaphragmatic breathing, etc. tools don't work.  If dizziness and nausea is bad at bedtime will take a 12.5mg meclizine, but it tends to zombie me out the next day so I try to avoid that.  L-theanine helps calm me a bit but I don't take those regularly anymore.  Have tried chinese herbs- that mix didn't do anything.  Have had 5 acupuncture treatments:  3 helped a great deal.  Two didn't really do anything, and I actually felt worse in the day/s after (could have been overpowering effects of w/d, vs. the acupuncture treatment itself- can't know for sure).  Have 4 acupuncture treatments coming up because those are the only things that seem to move me forward at all, when they do work.

I get that most of the serotonin in the body is in the GI, so my current issues may be just the latest place lexapro w/d has decided to manifest itself.  Tired of feeling I can't get a break.  Tired of feeling that 1 ok day means 4-5 awful days after.  Tired of feeling that at times I'm just trying to survive and fixing myself my next meal is a herculean effort.  How long can I expect this parade of various side effects to continue after such a short lexapro history?  Am I really bound to a lifetime of issues from 9 weeks of one pill?

Just moved to NV 10 mths ago from central USA to take a new job.  Love the job and new home but don't have any close friends out here yet and am single and alone.  My faith in God is sometimes the only thing holding me together.  Have never had such a disruptive or frustrating or debilitating health-related experience in my life.

Desperately love (and miss) working out, but dizziness prevents me from doing most exercises and many days I'm so exhausted I can barely walk downstairs to pick up the mail. 

Does anyone on here have a lexapro recovery story involving awful w/d after only being on the drug for a couple of months?  Would love to hear from you.  Thank you for reading about my struggles.

Was on Lexapro for 66 days starting in early January.  5mg for a week, 10mg for 3, 7.5 for 3 days, then 5mg and 2.5mg for approx two weeks after.  

Was on Lithium for 60 days starting in late January. 1 300mg ER pill a day.  Stopped CT

Was given a .5 ativan script in early Jan.  Took it maybe 20x total from early Jan to beg of June, 2020.

-Fall of 2019:  had two vertigo attacks for the first time with no warning, each followed by 4-5 days of morning dizziness.

-Last Friday of 2019:  had first ever, out of the blue, panic attack.  Went to ER- didn't know what was happening.  Was diagnosed w/GAD, even though had never had anxiety or depression problems before.  Basically no health problems at all prior to this, and in very good shape emotionally, physically, and mentally.

-4 days after panic attack given lexapro.  That's when the hell began.  Was on it 66 days.  Reacted badly to it.  Gave me suicidal ideation 4 wks after starting it, plus exhaustion, off the charts anxiety, dizziness, and fatigue.  Did a fast taper over 5 wks.  Was on it 66 days total.

-been off lexapro completely since mid-March, 2020.  First 3 weeks I got better and better.  Then, week 4 into WD got slammed.  Since then, over 64 side effects/symptoms.  Can't drive.  At times, barely surviving.

-since Jan., have been to the e r 16x.

-was given lithium after experienced SI from lexapro to as a "mood stabilizer".  Never really noticed anything from it, nor anything after stopping it, except for a few days of heightened depression about a week after.

-was given low dosage ativan script 2nd week into lexapro to deal with the anxiety/panic spike caused by the lexapro.  Took it perhaps 20x between Jan and June, 2020.  Always made me feel better, but last time it was taken (early June) experienced intrusive thoughts after so stopped it.  Didn't feel any negative reaction from stopping it, perhaps b/c it was taken so infrequently and the dosage was so low. 

• Administrator

Welcome, NoMoreLexapro.

2 hours ago, NoMoreLexapro said:

The 9 weeks and 2 days I was on lex was the worst experience of my life.  At times, unbearable anxiety, exhausted, dizzy every single day I was on it, random intrusive dark thoughts, brain fog...  An anxiety attack 4 weeks into lexapro sent me to a psychiatric hospital for 4 days the first time when it caused intrusive passive suicidal thoughts (first time in my life). 

How much Lexapro were you taking? Those symptoms indicate the dosage was too high for you. They are known adverse effects of too much Lexapro.

It sounds like you have withdrawal syndrome from going off Lexapro too fast, and maybe lithium, too.

How have your symptoms changed in the last 2 weeks?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata changed the title to NoMoreLexapro Short time on Lexapro- still hell being off

Hi Alto:  my lexapro dosages are in my signature.  I emphatically believe that this was a bad drug for me from the start.  I never had a "good" day while I was on lexapro- only days that were more tolerable slightly than others.  Since I didn't have a history of anxiety or depression beforehand I think it made things all the worse. 

Last 2.5 wks:

- was starting to feel better prior to this- the main side effects I had while on Lexapro were all fading (anxiety, brain fog/disorientation, exhaustion, dizziness, dark thoughts) and I was happy to see that

-Wed, 4/1: woke up with slight nausea- new experience for me.  This nausea went away on its own once I started moving around.

-Thurs, 4/2-Tues 4/7:  gradually, started to get shivering/chills (though I wasn't cold, by way of temperature readings) randomly, at night in bed, sometimes during the day

-Tuesday 4/8 and Wed 4/9:  had two episodes at meals where I got shivers, lightheaded, faint, had trouble thinking, vision was off- had to go lie down.  Felt as if some internal "levels" were off somehow

-Wed 4/9went to hospital and stayed overnight.  They gave me an IV of zofran for nausea.  Was exhausted the whole time there.  They ordered all kinds of tests and xrays- all came back clear and clean.  Got discharged the next day.

-Thurs 4/10-Sun 4/12- started feeling a bit better each day- a little more energy, less shivers, no more "spells" like on 4/8 and 4/9.

-Sun 4/12: night- awful night of insomnia and nausea.  Tried essential oils for the first time for digestion/nausea.

-Mon 4/13: awful- zombie all day.  Could barely move, function or think

-Tues 4/14:  morning like the prev day.  PM:  went to acupuncture for first time in several weeks.  Started feeling improvement rest of day.

-Wed 4/15:  best day in several weeks.  More energy and mental alertness, better mood.  Would say I was probably at 65-70% normal levels of energy.  Only problem:  developed bladder ache and had to go to the bathroom every 5 min.  Never have experienced that before.

-Thur 4/16:  another chiropractor visit.  Rest of day was pretty worn out, dizzy, had vague suicidal thoughts.

-Fri 4/17:  another chiropractor visit.  Rest of day better than prev day but still pretty tired/exhausted.

-Sat 4/18:  tried to take a 5 min walk.  Bad idea- made me nauseated and tired- top of my head felt a weird "compressed" feeling.  Exhausted rest of day.

-Today:  morning are rough- always a little nausea, very slow/tired, dizzy.  Over the course of the day started to feel a bit better, but am still only at 30-40% energy at most. 

Was on Lexapro for 66 days starting in early January.  5mg for a week, 10mg for 3, 7.5 for 3 days, then 5mg and 2.5mg for approx two weeks after.  

Was on Lithium for 60 days starting in late January. 1 300mg ER pill a day.  Stopped CT

Was given a .5 ativan script in early Jan.  Took it maybe 20x total from early Jan to beg of June, 2020.

-Fall of 2019:  had two vertigo attacks for the first time with no warning, each followed by 4-5 days of morning dizziness.

-Last Friday of 2019:  had first ever, out of the blue, panic attack.  Went to ER- didn't know what was happening.  Was diagnosed w/GAD, even though had never had anxiety or depression problems before.  Basically no health problems at all prior to this, and in very good shape emotionally, physically, and mentally.

-4 days after panic attack given lexapro.  That's when the hell began.  Was on it 66 days.  Reacted badly to it.  Gave me suicidal ideation 4 wks after starting it, plus exhaustion, off the charts anxiety, dizziness, and fatigue.  Did a fast taper over 5 wks.  Was on it 66 days total.

-been off lexapro completely since mid-March, 2020.  First 3 weeks I got better and better.  Then, week 4 into WD got slammed.  Since then, over 64 side effects/symptoms.  Can't drive.  At times, barely surviving.

-was given lithium after experienced SI from lexapro to as a "mood stabilizer".  Never really noticed anything from it, nor anything after stopping it, except for a few days of heightened depression about a week after.

-was given low dosage ativan script 2nd week into lexapro to deal with the anxiety/panic spike caused by the lexapro.  Took it perhaps 20x between Jan and June, 2020.  Always made me feel better, but last time it was taken (early June) experienced intrusive thoughts after so stopped it.  Didn't feel any negative reaction from stopping it, perhaps b/c it was taken so infrequently and the dosage was so low. 

• Administrator

Milligram for milligram, Lexapro is several times stronger than Celexa or Prozac.

For the first 2.5 weeks, you may have felt better as the adverse effects were receding. This is looking like withdrawal syndrome, which typically comes in waves. See The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

When you say "nausea", do you actually vomit? How are you sleeping?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yeah I read that lexapro is way stronger than other SSRIs... :( Ugh.

It was so clearly the wrong choice.  I could've knocked out lingering anxiety from that panic attack through mindfulness meditation I've now learned, acupuncture, or other, non-pill options.  Had i known then what I know now...

I haven't ever vomited from the nausea.  There is a part of me that thinks the nausea is related to not to my stomach but my head, because dizziness/disorientation and sometimes vertigo has been a constant throughout this whole journey.  I think my head position at night when I'm in bed messes with my sense of orientation- since starting lexapro and having this dizziness I can't sleep on my side or stomach, for ex., and if turn my head to the side I often get dizzy and that interrupts my sleep.  Since the nausea usually presents itself when I wake up and start moving around, I can't help but think it is related to my body/head position at night and then the change to upright/sitting/walking once I get up somehow.  For ex:  since these new symptoms started 2.5 weeks ago I can't take walks for very long- anything longer than 2-3 min and I get nauseous and have to lie down.  So, the nausea seems to follow head or body position issues, not mealtimes or food intake. 

I've never had GI problems ever in my life- I could dump pretty much anything in my stomach and there's never an issue. 

Sleep:  since the nausea started I've had inconsistent sleep.  A couple of nights I had 90 min or less of sleep all night.  I will say that since the acupuncture treatments last week that has gotten better.  The last 2 nights I had solid stretches of 5-6 hrs of uninterrupted sleep and that hasn't happened in several weeks, so I'm grateful for that.  If I take a meclizine before bedtime or an ativan (I've only taken maybe 10-12 of those in the whole last 4 mths) I sleep better but I rarely do that.  I only take the meclizine if I'm feeling nauseous and dizzy before bed and the ativan is an absolute last resort and is only taken if I am having a major anxiety issue that I can't keep down with my mindfulness/meditation/prayer/deep breathing efforts.

• Administrator

Dizziness is a very common withdrawal symptom. Yes, it does sound like your queasiness is related to that. Since the acupuncture seems to help, I'd give it a little time to set you on the path to recovery from this particular symptom.

Otherwise, what you might do is take 0.5mg citalopram, Lexapro's gentler sibling. It comes in a prescription liquid; any doctor can prescribe it. You'd take it with a 1mL or 2mL oral syringe. This may compensate for escitalopram withdrawal syndrome. You'd stabilize for some months, then taper off by tiny decrements.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Dizziness is a very common withdrawal symptom. Yes, it does sound like your queasiness is related to that. Since the acupuncture seems to help, I'd give it a little time to set you on the path to recovery from this particular symptom.

Otherwise, what you might do is take 0.5mg citalopram, Lexapro's gentler sibling. It comes in a prescription liquid; any doctor can prescribe it. You'd take it with a 1mL or 2mL oral syringe. This may compensate for escitalopram withdrawal syndrome. You'd stabilize for some months, then taper off by tiny decrements.

Thanks for letting me know about that option- didn't realize it existed.  If I need to do that I just hope that the terrible things I was feeling while I was on lexapro don't return, because being on lexapro was just as bad as being off it...at least so far.

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, NoMoreLexapro said:

If I need to do that I just hope that the terrible things I was feeling while I was on lexapro don't return, because being on lexapro was just as bad as being off it...at least so far.

I hope so, too. 0.5mg Celexa is a far cry from 10mg Lexapro -- less than 5% of the firepower.

Please let us know how you're doing.

44 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

I hope so, too. 0.5mg Celexa is a far cry from 10mg Lexapro -- less than 5% of the firepower.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Thank you so much.  Is .5celexa close to 2.5mg lexapro?

• Administrator

By weight, 0.5mg Celexa is 1/5 2.5mg Lexapro. Milligram for milligram, Lexapro is several times stronger.

We have many people here who have reinstated very low dosages. It doesn't take much, you'd be surprised.

That's really interesting.  I gotta say, even at 2.5mg of lexapro I was still miserable.  If .5mg citolapram provides relief but none of the awfulness of lexapro that may be a good solution.

I've now had 6 acupuncture treatments.  4 helped, 2 did not.  I'm still working w/my acupuncturist to find the best combination of needle placement to help me improve.  Apparently there are 100s or 1000s of options/combinations...

I'd really love to believe that acupuncture, rest, supplements, mindfulness/meditation/my faith, regular healthy diet, etc. can get me through this in the next few weeks but after reading the horror stories on here about people have bad WD for months or years after having just ONE pill I'm speechless.  At least I know to be prepared for this being potentially a very long journey... 

Am just exhausted, have really bad stomach pain/nausea, esp at night, can't take walks because if I do the nausea starts up.  Zofran was helping w/the nausea but now it doesn't quite cut it.  When will this GI stuff end?  How long have you endured it?

My acupuncturist says my pulse related to my digestion/GI is inflamed/strong (not in a good way), but my pulse on my left wrist (kidneys and something else) is barely there.  What can help with this CFS-life exhaustion?

• Administrator
On 4/20/2020 at 11:18 AM, Altostrata said:

Our stories are very similar. I too had GI issues while on an SSRI for a short time. For me the GI issues you are describing happened for me while I was on the drug and morphed into GERD about a month after I quit that medication. I had pretty bad GERD for about 2 months after that. Still having waves and windows but the windows are a lot better and the waves are not as potent. I too love to go to the gym and was able to go back after about 5 months. With that being said everyone’s journey through this is different. I believe you have to ride it out in a certain sense and understand it sucks right now but you will feel better. It just takes time sometimes. 

July 1 thru 30 2019

10mg Prozac

CT off Prozac August 2019

• ChessieCat changed the title to NoMoreLexapro: Short time on Lexapro- still hell being off
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrator

@NoMoreLexapro how are you doing?

Alto, thank you so much for messaging me.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. 

I'm struggling.  On Friday I will have been off lexapro for 4 mths.  Updates:

1.  I stopped doing acupuncture as of June 1.  My acupuncturist learned about a new "technique" she wanted to try w/me to get my liver/kidney pulses better (I think?  They are on my left wrist- she said they were always barely there).  Midway through a treatment, as I was almost asleep, I felt a huge shock/jolt in my brain and body.  It was disconcerting to say the least.  I did feel better the next day or so, but after this continued for a few more treatments I stopped acupuncture, as they didn't have an effect on my pulses and the last couple of treatments really made my anxiety worse, among other things.

2.  After stopping acupuncture things seemed to get a tiny bit better for 3 weeks somewhat.  At least I didn't feel like anything was revving me up.

3.  In the last 8 days I've started experiencing, about every other day, derealization/brain fog on a whole new level.  While feeling this, my limbs feel heavy and loose/unconnected.  I've also started having some occasional bad headaches/head pressure/tingling in the bridge of my nose.  My hands and feet sometimes tingle/get hot/get cold/change color, esp when exposed to water. Also:  major new anxiety, panic attacks that last longer and don't respond as quickly to my usual treatment (slow breathing/meditation), and a brain that is a lot more racy.  I went to the E R on Friday b/c on Wed I had one of those brain shocks/jolts that I had during those later acupuncture treatments while I was meditating and it triggered a whole afternoon/evening of upped anxiety.  CT scan revealed no problems.  All the other tests (blood, chest xray, urine) also came back with nothing wrong.  Had to deal with the unpleasant, dismissive ER Dr who thinks I'm just making all these things up due to anxiety.  So frustrating when Drs don't listen to you and have no understanding of WD.

All of this is wearing on me.  I'm alone and have almost no support network here where I live.  Doing this journey by myself, with COVID in the background, is the hardest thing I've ever done.  I'm an only child.  Parents are older and 2 states away.  Dad got COVID and then mom had a stroke.  Both are a bit better (dad survived) but the stress of that on top of all this almost crushed me.

If I don't improve in the next couple of months I may have to quit my job.  The last 8 days, esp., even reading an email is sometimes difficult, let alone a 60 min zoom business mtg.

I've had a couple of consults w/Baylissa Frederick who is wonderful and speaks highly of you.  Have also had a consult with Jennifer Leigh and Dede Moore (EFT).  I'm part of a fb group of people from Baylissa's old website and those folks are wonderful...but here where I live I have no one. 

I changed therapists (my first one was very young, almost an intern, and didn't know anything about WD).  The new one is more experienced in general but doesn't have really any experience w/SSRI WD clients.  He's been trying to find me a support network in town by contacting churches (my faith is important to me) but that hasn't generated much help at all. 

Also been trying to find a new psychiatrist.  Had a consult w/one this past Thursday.  She couldn't believe I was still in WD after 4 mths (seriously?) and her only suggestion was going on a low doze of prozac and then tapering off that.  Since lexapro is the only drug I've ever taken and I reacted really badly to it all 66 days I was on it, I shudder to think what taking another drug will do to me.  Baylissa said it could help, but it could also make things worse.  That sounds very scary to me.  I don't have much more "worse" I can get.

Not taking anything except daily multivitamin, omega 3, and magnesium.  If nausea is bad, pepto bismol.  If it is really really bad, I can take a zofran, but those make me dizzy (and I'm dizzy every day) so I try to avoid that if at all possible.  I take 1 tylenol extra strength if my headaches are awful (like tonight).  If the anxiety is bad I'll take one theanine pill.  If it is truly unbearable and nothing I do helps, I'll take one .5 mg ativan, but that only happens like 1x a mth, b/c I DO NOT want to get on a benzo habit.  Plus, the last time I did that I had weird intrusive thoughts for 2 days after.  I almost flushed those pills down the toilet.

Am now on a very healthy, almost plant-based diet.  It helped clear up my GI/nausea greatly when that first started back in April...for 3-4 wks my gut felt new again...but in the last 3-4 wks I've had nausea/stomach pain probs again, at random times.  Sometimes I have this even when I eat a super healthy, very "safe" meal (a meal that has never given me problems before).  Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night w/nausea. 

Sleep is inconsistent.  I always wake up at least twice each night but if it is a bad night it is 4-5x. 

I feel my body is capable of doing walks again, but when I try to walk more than 5 min the dizziness and/or nausea/stomach upset force that to end.

I know that 4 mths into WD is just scratching the surface as far as the longevity of these journeys can be, but I am so very ready to have some sign of relief.  I just don't want things to keep getting worse. 

On 6/27/2020 at 11:09 AM, Altostrata said:

@NoMoreLexapro how are you doing?

Just responded above...sorry for not quoting you the first time.  Brain is so confused and derealized right now.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:14 AM, Jimmyv said:

Our stories are very similar. I too had GI issues while on an SSRI for a short time. For me the GI issues you are describing happened for me while I was on the drug and morphed into GERD about a month after I quit that medication. I had pretty bad GERD for about 2 months after that. Still having waves and windows but the windows are a lot better and the waves are not as potent. I too love to go to the gym and was able to go back after about 5 months. With that being said everyone’s journey through this is different. I believe you have to ride it out in a certain sense and understand it sucks right now but you will feel better. It just takes time sometimes. 

I'm so sorry I never responded to you.  How long were you on lexapro?  How long have you been off? Thanks for writing me!

• Administrator

I'm sorry you're having such a bad time, NML.

The acupuncturist shouldn't have given you stimulating treatments. It's very important to tell them not to do that. 

Is it possible you have a sinus infection, congestion, or cold? Did you get a covid-19 test? When was the last time you had your thyroid checked?

Have you had any alcohol, caffeine, or antibiotics lately? Been out in the sun a lot?

It sounds like some of your symptoms might be another bout of that inner ear problem. You might re-set those ear particles again. Coincidentally, 

I found I needed to do the exercise for my left ear 5 times each day for 2-3 days. I was still a little dizzy, so did the exercise for my right ear for a day. That seemed to do it.

9 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hi Alto-

Thanks for writing back.  It means so much to know someone cares.

1.  Acupuncturist- I kept telling her that but she kept saying, "I have to treat according to the pulse", meaning, to her, my weak kidney and liver pulse.  I just got so fed up w/it I left her but I am truly praying what I'm experiencing now isn't a permanent, debilitating effect of her work.

2.  I've had 5 covid tests.  All negative.  I've been tested for allergies and have a lot of environmental allergies (grass, etc) but I stay in my apt virtually all day and have 2 medical grade air purifiers going 24/7 concurrently.  I've had thyroid levels checked 3-4x the past 6 mths and nothing is out of ordinary (E R trips via blood work).

3.  No alcohol, caffeine, or antibiotics.  Sun- no.  I'm indoors most of the time and try to sit outside for a few minutes if the temperature allows and I'm physically able to do it.  I have sensitivity to heat and it can get hot here in NV.

4.  I was taught maneuvers for vertigo.  I do them several times a day.  They usually don't hurt but most of the time they don't help.  The last 9 days this disorientation/dizziness/fog is a whole different level.  My brain feels pressure on it, the bridge of my nose tingles, I often develop a bad headache, and the disorientation causes weak limbs and my vision is off.  In other words, it isn't just vertigo only (which I have had, and which DOES respond to the exercises).

I'm sorry you're having such a bad time, NML.

The acupuncturist shouldn't have given you stimulating treatments. It's very important to tell them not to do that. 

Is it possible you have a sinus infection, congestion, or cold? Did you get a covid-19 test? When was the last time you had your thyroid checked?

Have you had any alcohol, caffeine, or antibiotics lately? Been out in the sun a lot?

It sounds like some of your symptoms might be another bout of that inner ear problem. You might re-set those ear particles again. Coincidentally, 

I found I needed to do the exercise for my left ear 5 times each day for 2-3 days. I was still a little dizzy, so did the exercise for my right ear for a day. That seemed to do it.

• Administrator

I can't tell what's going on. Vertigo can also cause queasiness. Could be allergies or a food intolerance, see

Digestive problems: Nausea, Diarrhea, Bloating, GERD

Food sensitivities

Histamine food intolerance

Elimination or exclusion diets for reactions to food (food intolerance)

If you want to address it as withdrawal syndrome:

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Low-dose reinstatement is still an option:

On 4/20/2020 at 11:18 AM, Altostrata said:

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

I can't tell what's going on. Vertigo can also cause queasiness. Could be allergies or a food intolerance, see

Digestive problems: Nausea, Diarrhea, Bloating, GERD

Food sensitivities

Histamine food intolerance

Elimination or exclusion diets for reactions to food (food intolerance)

If you want to address it as withdrawal syndrome:

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Low-dose reinstatement is still an option:

I've been taking omega 3 and mag for a couple mths- that's a great idea.  I am so leery of being put on another drug.  Because I had an adverse reaction to lexapro it scares me to think what would happen if I tried something else...and than had to go through a WD process for that other drug too. 

• 1 month later...

Friday was 5.5 mths off lexapro.  Still dealing w/debilitating side effects, which change sometimes by the hour.

• ChessieCat changed the title to NoMoreLexapro: short time on Lexapro - still hell being off
  • 3 weeks later...

Have had over 64 side effects/symptoms so far.  Been off 6 mths and 1 week.

Never took any psychotropic medications prior to Jan, 2020.  Never had any health problems of impact prior to Jan, 2020.  Took virtually no medications at all period, before Jan. 2020.

• Administrator

NML, when you first took Lexapro, what happened? How did you feel in the first week? That was in early 2020, correct?

Over the last 3 months, how have your symptoms changed?

Please add dates (months and years) to the events in your signature.

15 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

NML, when you first took Lexapro, what happened? How did you feel in the first week? That was in early 2020, correct?

Over the last 3 months, how have your symptoms changed?

Please add dates (months and years) to the events in your signature.

When I first took lexapro my anxiety went through the room...unlike anything I've ever experienced.  Never had anxiety problems before basically my whole life.  Also had horrible dizziness, exhaustion/fatigue.  Yes- it was early 2020. 

Last 3 mths:  constant barrage of symptoms.  Most of them have been physical.  Pain, nausea, dysautonomia, POTS-like symptoms, variations in blood pressure, breathing probs, swallowing probs, insomnia, it's endless...

• Administrator

I am sorry your doctor kept you on Lexapro for 65 days too long. What was the explanation why you should continue it?

On the average, are you better or worse over the last 3 months compared to the prior 3 months?

I think this may apply to you Adverse reactions to an antidepressant within a few doses? How long for recovery?

17 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

I am sorry your doctor kept you on Lexapro for 65 days too long. What was the explanation why you should continue it?

On the average, are you better or worse over the last 3 months compared to the prior 3 months?

I think this may apply to you Adverse reactions to an antidepressant within a few doses? How long for recovery?

Thanks a lot for the kind words.  Was told by a psychiatric nurse when I first started it that it takes a month to get used to it, which is why I stayed on it past the  first week.  Once it gave me SI in week 4 I began the fast  taper. 

I've  been totally off 6  mths now. The first 3 wks I was getting better and  then I got slammed.  June and July were awful.  August had as many bad days as June and July but had more ok das than either.  Am hoping  Sept continues that trend but the sxs change by the hour and new ones appear weekly. 

• Administrator

Did you try fish oil and magnesium?

2 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Did you try fish oil and magnesium?

I've taken mag and omega 3 every  day for about 4 mths.  It def helps, mainly w/anxiety and thinking ability.  There are still bad days of DR and cog fog where it is hard, and I still get anxiety spikes and an occasional panic attack but the mag and omega 3 def help.  Tney don't seem to help the physical symptoms  though- still have awful food insensitivities, nausea for no reason and varying intensities, and bladder/intestinal/stomach/chest/back pain, plus all the other things.

The sxs I hate the worst are the intrusive thoughts.  They vary in intensity.  Some days they are  barely there (like some other  symptoms), other days it is hard.  The other 2 sxs I hate the most are the nausea and body pain.  Insomnia, when it is really bad, is probably up there too.

If I'm just fatigued, have some dizziness (not too much), and cog fog I can deal w/that.  A day full of intrusive thoughts, nausea, and body pain is much, much worse.

• Administrator

How much mag and fish oil are you taking?

You might use some techniques to manage intrusive thoughts:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Shame, guilt, regret, and self-criticism

It sounds like your recovery is proceeding in the expected extremely slow and frustrating pace. Hang in there. Please let us know how you're doing.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, NoMoreLexapro said:

The sxs I hate the worst are the intrusive thoughts.

Shep made a suggestion this morning about intrusive thoughts:

Intrusive thoughts can be helped by using the "change the channel" technique:

"Change the channel" - dealing with cognitive symptoms

1 hour ago, NoMoreLexapro said:

body pain

Non-drug techniques for dealing with body pain

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks so much!

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

How much mag and fish oil are you taking?

You might use some techniques to manage intrusive thoughts:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Shame, guilt, regret, and self-criticism

It sounds like your recovery is proceeding in the expected extremely slow and frustrating pace. Hang in there. Please let us know how you're doing.

I take two mag pills a day (one at breakfast, one at dinner) and 3 omega 3 pills a day (each meal).  Total mag is around 400mg and omega 3 is...around 1000-1200?  I use chelated mag and omegabrite brand omega 3. 

My coping techniques I use daily include:

1.  slow diaphragmatic breathing

2.  meditations (insight timer app)

3.  progressive muscle relaxation

4.  EFT tapping

5.  listening to music or playing my violin (can only do about 30 min of the latter, but it is really good for my brain)

6.  I try to do a morning walk.  5-6 min is about my limit

7.  warm showers are nice - 2 a day

8.  journaling

9.  prayer- lots and lots of prayer- my faith life is crucial.  Have a bible study group each Monday that is really helpful

10.  lying down to rest for 30 min after lunch

11.  book reading

2 hours ago, Gridley said:

Shep made a suggestion this morning about intrusive thoughts:

Intrusive thoughts can be helped by using the "change the channel" technique:

"Change the channel" - dealing with cognitive symptoms

Non-drug techniques for dealing with body pain

Thanks.  This is great.  I finally have a therapist I like (3rd one this year).  She had a chronic illness that traditional Dr's couldn't diagnose so she gets the issues we face in WD.  I have a yoga instructor who I see for about 15 min 3x a week and I like her too.  My bible study group is a real godsend as well.

• Moderator Emeritus

FLU SHOT:

Just putting this here so we have record of it for member's history:

21 hours ago, NoMoreLexapro said:

I get the flu shot every year.  Never have any reaction to it at all.  Got the quadravent (4 strrain) shot this morning.  As day has gone on have felt dizzier and tonight, more nauseous.  Had to take a zofran.  Still dizzy and brain foggy and tired.  Still in WD so brain fog, dizziness and nausea are regular visitors, but this feels different somehow.  Hope it isn't a reaction to the flu shot, and, if so, it goes away soon. 

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management