squirrel

Body temperature dysregulation: fever, chills, shivering, too hot, too cold, flashes, flushes

Happy2Heal

hi i'm withdrawing from lexapro, and I'm having wildly fluctuating body temps, from hot flushes (without sweating, so I don't think it's a hot flash, if it is, it's a dry one)

to being very cold, even when my apt is heated to 70 degrees (I normally keep my apt around 60 degrees and tolerate that quite well)

I also recently had a trial of clonidine for severe insomnia and I noticed it is also prescribed for hot flashes, so I wonder if it did something to my body's regulation of temp? it did make me cold when I was on it,

now that I am off it, my temp swings are horrible, from highs to lows. I ended up going back on a half tablet and that helped a bit.

ChessieCat

Hi Catnapt,

Meow.  Sorry couldn't resist  ;)   Knew I'd read a thread about feeling hot/cold.  Found it here.

CC

Happy2Heal

Hi

Meow backatcha

just seeing this now, thanks so much for finding that for me ChessieCat

omg this is horrible, I am so cold- even when it's 70degrees in here, I turn the heat on, and put on sweatshirts and even a hat, just to warm up

then suddenly, wham! I can feel the heat just radiating out from inside me and I am racing to strip off the extra clothes, some times I strip down to no clothes, the heat is so bad

I know this is not night sweats or menopausal hot flashes, those have always come with sweating, and never last this long

this is hell

I am so angry at my doctor right now, I asked for the liquid generic lexapro and after a lot of back and forth with her nurse, etc, she refused to prescribe it, instead she called in a prescription for 5mgs lexapro (generic) with the instructions to take one a day for a month, then half of one a day for another month, and then we'd "talk about maybe going to every other day"

I'm currently taking 2.5mgs (1/8th of 20mg tablet)

and she wants me to double it, and they drop it down by 50%?!?!?

NOT HAPPENING!
I am so angry.

my sleep is starting to improve, in spurts (I can get decent sleep every OTHER night, which is ironic since, before I found this site, I was tapering doing 2.5mgs every other day)

this sucks sooooooooooo bad

in the time that it's taken to write this, I've gone from a normal temp to super hot, stripped off my hat and sweatshirt,

and now, I"m freezing again..........

oy!

gonna go stand in front of the heater and try to warm up

it's like 4:30 am here and I've not slept, so that's not helping much either

thanks again for finding that thread.

Mort81

Hey I was on 30 mg of Lexapro and ive had this problem for awhile. Im usually hot and cold at the same time. Overtime it should regulate but it can be uncomfortable

Happy2Heal

thanks Mort81

It is already a bit better, I am only getting the hot flushes now, no more of the cold

wow what a ride, eh?

Mort81

Np. Ya an unbelievable ride! It kinda feels like getting blind sided by a truck!

Mort81

Hey April did it go away? Im having some major body temperature issues now aswell. Im hot and cold at the same time plus cant quench my thirst. Even though Ive drank tons of water.

AprilShowers

Hey April did it go away? Im having some major body temperature issues now aswell. Im hot and cold at the same time plus cant quench my thirst. Even though Ive drank tons of water.

No. The duration reduced a bit though which is some help I suppose though after all these weeks it doesn't feel like it much, it's exhausting. I have thirst too, even though I'm also drinking loads, I think that's because too much cortisol means you don't release enough vasopressin and the urine doesn't concentrate or something. I'm imagining if it's not concentrating then there's fluid that is not ending up where it should in my body. My skin is very dry too and I have no saliva in the mornings and can't eat either. 

Mort81

Ya its no fun. My akathisia stopped but this symptom has been tough aswell. Im drinking electrolyte drinks to help. See if it works. Lemon, water, Himalayan Salt and Raw Honey. Or I have a sports drink called bio steel. Im trying both. Im also taking on and off clothes throughout the night to try and stay at a good temp.

Mort81

I hope it goes away for you soon April

KarenB

Made me think of coconut-water too - is meant to be re-hydrating. 

Im drinking electrolyte drinks to help. See if it works. Lemon, water, Himalayan Salt and Raw Honey.

Mort81

Ya coconut water is a good idea aswell. I bought some. This evening has been tough. So hot and cold at the same time plus again I can't quench my thirst. Mouth is so dry and uncomfortable. This only started for me about a month ago off and on now.

ravijaua

I live in the east coast for years, handled -10 degrees no problem in college. Now I need it to be exactly 60-70 degrees. Good thing I live in southern California near the beach now. Best for withdrawal. If it's too hot, I can't handle it.

Bridgetini

So relieved to see this topic thread! It is August: dry and breezy. I am wearing socks,  long pants, two fleeces, and am drinking soup.

But if it get hot I wilt and cannot function. My optimal range is 16-24 degrees C.

emilie

Me too. It is horrible this cold. For me, it come when i am in resting position but not the day, only the evening. 

If i come back in my house and sit in the sofa to see a TV programm, it comes. It seems the problem is activity/inactivity transition.  

I have very very cold, then i have tremor (i suppose the body try to upgrade my body temperature) and when tremor comes, i have diarhea.

When i have tremor, to avoid teeth problem i put a pacifier (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifier) in my mouth, the time the crisis to stop. 

(pacifier sell for baby more than 18months)

Look like a baby, but really it help me. I can leave the mouth crisped bitting this pacifier without preoccuping myself about my teeth.

I was not sure if it was real or not so i mesured my body temperature with a Forehead thermometer puting it in my front and in my palm hand to see. There is a real difference in temperature in palm hand between while crisis and after. 

After having really cold, i often have too hot.

emilie

Ok, i have seen the doctor 2-3 times.

So i made tetany crisis because i am dehydrated, i drink too little.

I'm never thirsty so i force myself to drink 1,2 liter per day(i can't drink more). (i think i drinked less than 500ml per day whn i had tetany).

crisis all the day of tetany stop.

The problem then was that when i drink a few sips ,stomach balloon becomes hard.

So i come back to doctor that say i have a gastritis (inflammation of stomach) and gastroesophageal reflux disease. So i am on IPP. He says that i did not drink enought because of gastritis.

For now i still having some crisis at sunset. I find that valerian root helpfull... I know it is just GABA so my crisis everyday at night is too less GABA, so it still withrawal.

I have lost 4 kg in one week, so on the moment i will take valerian extract. And i have began light therapy (my doctor say me that it can help) with a lamp that cost 200$. If it can help i will try.

I will continue to force myself to drink water since my body does not say to me when he need to drink. 

India

Finally! I have found my clan. The freezing, cold to the bone symptoms! I've had them through my AD use, they've been particularly bad for 5 years.. I sleep in ski socks and woollen jumpers in the summer. Hot baths and hot water bottles and heating. I sleep in the most screwed up position. I have to get up in the night and make subsequent hot water bottle. Something is defintely up and it took me a long time to associate the two. 

India

Has anyone recovered

after getting off ssri's?

India
On 11/11/2015 at 4:40 AM, Mort81 said:

From what I understand its much more likely to happen when your trying to sleep . Your body tries to regulate temperature while sleeping thats what an old pychiatrist told me. I think he may be right but also our systems are just fragile at the moment .They would last anywhere from 5 min to 15-30 min. Its the main reason why I wanted off of Antidpressants. I was shaking alot.  I havent had an episode in awhile . since July. 

This is exactly when it's worse for me! At night!

Junglechicken
On 30 December 2015 at 8:14 PM, AprilShowers said:

No. The duration reduced a bit though which is some help I suppose though after all these weeks it doesn't feel like it much, it's exhausting. I have thirst too, even though I'm also drinking loads, I think that's because too much cortisol means you don't release enough vasopressin and the urine doesn't concentrate or something. I'm imagining if it's not concentrating then there's fluid that is not ending up where it should in my body. My skin is very dry too and I have no saliva in the mornings and can't eat either. 

Ive been experiencing this WD symptom too.

Very dry, not absorbing water properly, and sometimes my urine is very concentrated and its as though my body hasn't caught up with itself in terms of processing liquid ingested.

When I see my naturopath, and get on her special scales, my total body water content is always at the lowest end of the spectrum, and I drink lots of water and tea all day.

My kidney function is normal, so it's the absorption that's awry.

Conversely, when detoxing, the water retained literally gushes out of my body???

Am baffled to say the least.

India

Today I sat in a sauna, had hot showers. Sat in angora and ski thermals , hot water bottle, 2 duvets, heating at 30C and just used a hair dryer over the rest of my body and I'm still cold to the bone.  I don't know how to improve this symptom.

lavendertealatte

This happens to me too.  Seems to only pass with time and come back periodically.  I haven't found how to help it.

Callie

Hello, India!

I'm so sorry to hear about your icy shivering. I know just how uncomfortable and frustrated you must feel. As far as I know, you are doing everything possible to warm up. I've had the same issue and even had to wear layers of clothing, including long underwear, in the middle of summer--90 degree weather.

Yes, and as far as I know again, lavendertealatte is right. It will go away but will take time. Everyone is different. I can finally say that for me, this particular symptom--along with bodily heat surges--is just about gone. Please know and believe deep down that this too shall pass for you. Hang on to hope and do your best to get through it.

Healing thoughts are coming your way from me,

Callie

India
On 6/18/2012 at 8:11 PM, Altostrata said:

Withdrawal syndrome can include temperature dysregulation. Temperature and muscle tension are regulated by the autonomic nervous system.

Magnesium might help for the muscle tension. I found acupuncture helpful for temperature dysregulation.

It's a good thing ibuprofen helps (it counters cortisol, which also contributes to muscle tension). Can you get sustained-release ibuprofen? Take with a bit of food or fish oil to coat the stomach.

@withhopeinmyheart it's saying ibroprofen to reduce cortisol?

Orangeblossom77

I am getting this a lot, I find hot baths and showers very helpful. I get hot flushes too though. they aren't so bad

it is the cold shivers I find the worst. I have two showers and a bath at the mo and also go in the sauna after swimming

India
On 1/9/2019 at 8:23 PM, Callie said:

Hello, India!

I'm so sorry to hear about your icy shivering. I know just how uncomfortable and frustrated you must feel. As far as I know, you are doing everything possible to warm up. I've had the same issue and even had to wear layers of clothing, including long underwear, in the middle of summer--90 degree weather.

Yes, and as far as I know again, lavendertealatte is right. It will go away but will take time. Everyone is different. I can finally say that for me, this particular symptom--along with bodily heat surges--is just about gone. Please know and believe deep down that this too shall pass for you. Hang on to hope and do your best to get through it.

Healing thoughts are coming your way from me,

Callie

@Callie I just saw this. Thank you , this really fills me with hope.

Chuck83

My hands and legs are terribly cold, after an adverse reaction to a paracetamol tablet a week ago, to treat a flu with fever at 40 ° C.  I usually have warm hands and legs,  It's a horrible feeling.