squirrel

Body temperature dysregulation: fever, chills, shivering, too hot, too cold, flashes, flushes

peggy

Nadia, the pounding heart is a sign of autonomic dumping. Sounds like your temp dysregulation is withdrawal-related.

Really?

Because i DO get a pounding heart with mine - i had heard that palpitations were also menopause symptoms!

Altostrata

The pattern you have is very typical of withdrawal syndrome.

peggy

well, for once i am happy to hear it's a withdrawal issue!

there has always been periods where they have stopped and then restarted again - i never followed my reduction schedule with the hot flushes - i thought they were menopausal but there was always a bit of nagging feeling in the back of my mind that maybe they were w/d related

LostaDecade

Hot flushes is a new symptom for me (they started daily about 2 weeks ago (not like the night sweats I had the first 8 weeks off meds) - Sometimes just my back, other times my legs - sometimes my skin isn't even warm although it's as if my blood suddenly got hot. On an odd note, I find that this sometimes does indeed happen when I get particularly annoyed by something (or someone). Started working out today for the first time since off meds hoping it will help my aches and stiffness.

LostaDecade

Happy to report that those crazy hot flushes are gone! This had been such a wild ride. I'm always wondering what the next set of symptoms will be. Thank you for this site and everyone who takes the time to post! Xo

jmim

i have this all the time right now! i don't know if it's related to w/d, since it's been over 18 months since i stopped meds, but my stress level has been through the roof for the past 6 months and i have had the worst flushes, pretty much daily, for a couple of months now. they come with exhaustion as well. even minor stress sends it over the edge. i just want it to stop but my life looks to remain stressful for the next few months until i finish grad school. i feel like a tomato most of the time...

Dani

I have this also! It usually happens between 4am & 7 am after i get up to use the bathroom. It probably happens once or twice a month. I feel reeeeeeally freezing with violent chills. Sometimes i get up & eat a small meal & it calms down. But during the chills, i have to get under all the covers & try to get my body temp up. Its something i never experienced before withdrawal. It started April 2012 which was11 months into withdrawal.

MaryKA

For the last three days, I have had sweating, temperatures of over 39C and pain all over after less than a week of a 5% taper. Have you guys had stuff as extreme as that? 

mammaP

I have been having  hot flushes and profuse sweating which are different to the

menopausal flushes.

I feel nauseous and dizzy, and 'prickly' face and neck. Very uncomfortable and the

heat this summer has been intolerable for me. My temperature has remained steady

though, which I am always surprised at because I feel like I'm going to spontaneously 

combust! 

MaryKA

For the last three days, I have had sweating, temperatures of over 39C and pain all over after less than a week of a 5% taper. Have you guys had stuff as extreme as that? 

I've now been diagnosed with a bacterial infection and am on antibiotics. Symptoms are easing. So no, persistent high temperatures seem to be not part of w/d symptoms

theelt712

Does anyone else deal with this? Recently, I have had temps in the 95.5-96.8 range at any given point during the day. My usual temp is about 97.5. Anything higher makes me feel sick, so my body temp is naturally low, but it scares me when I take my temp and see a number like 94.7 like I did this morning. Anyone else experience this in WD?

Meimeiquest

Is there any chance the battery in the thermometer might be low, placement off, etc.? When I started working as a nurses aide 100 years ago, we weren't allowed to write down a temp less than 96 because it was "sure" to be an error.

theelt712

This thermometer is older....been around for about 10 years. However, the thermometer does not go to "low" when it takes my temp and it works well, despite being about 10 years old.

Meimeiquest

Some of them are like that. The one I use right now is giving temps in the 94's which is clearly not correct by touching the child's skin.

alexjuice

I had this problem for a long time, it's only now normalizing.

Nikki

Generally, I die from the heat all day as a result of working.  Physical Labor and this being Florida.  I can't stand the heat any more.  would love a breath of cool air.

I am getting flushed right now.

For the last two nights, I was freezing and my feet were so frozen.  I had my Westie sleep right next to me to keep my hands warm.

Can this happen from WD?  Or is this a menopausal symptom?  I recently swapped out compounded progesterone for the brand in the health food store.

As usual Confused

DLB

Since about a year ago my temp is usually 96.6-97.1 NEVER above 97.1 I was sick all last week shivering in bed and had all the symptoms that I always got with a fever but yet no fever while everyone else in my family were sick with fevers. I used to always have the normal 98.6 and since poopout/ taper it is low. Has anyone had their temperature go low like this and then normalize after WD ? I can't handle cold weather like I used to love either!!

KarenB

Not exactly an answer for you, but I get hot ears when I have depressive episodes, or adjust meds.  Strange.

solida

Hi DLB I had this on an off during my last years off withdrawal-even in summer .I got a lot better but now during my setback I have it again.lg solida

stan

6 years off, i still have difficult to cold and warm, before paxil, i even not knew what is cold and warm, walked in streets, never thought about,  it was not a problem, today it is a problem

Barkeater

Wondering if anyone has had the experience of a low-grade fever that comes and goes in withdrawal. I'm familiar with the Paxil flu but couldn't find explicit reference to this particular symptom. I've always had a low body temperature (usually around 97.8) but for the past couple months I often have a temperature around 99.5 but with no other symptoms. It will disappear in a couple hours time and then come back randomly, a day or a week later.

I know I should see a doctor, as I have a history of hypothyroidism and other health problems that could be directly or indirectly causing this. But in the meantime, it would be comforting to hear that others have experienced this.

Thank you!

InvisibleUnless

i have tons of issues with internal and external temperature regulation.  it can affect my homeostasis and also my susceptibility to hot or cold in the environment.  the symptoms have been so troubling that it has been suggested that i look into a fibromyalgia doctor (for that and many other reasons) in addition to looking at what withdrawal might be causing.

definitely see a doctor, and try to schedule a urine test (which s/he will most probably order) for a time when you are feeling an increase in temperature.  hopefully something will show up that can point you in the direction of an issue.

i feel light fevers, overheating body parts (like painful eyes and a hot face), and a flu-like fatigue coming and going.  sometimes i have what feels like bordering on serotonin storm---i get rather flushed and feverish, racing thoughts and shaky body, heart trouble, etc.  not all fever symptom sets lead to that, but its a concern and i try to stay away from precipitating elements (omega-3 fatty acids, by supplement or even by meal sometimes, medical marijuana, sugar overdosing, etc).  i dont imagine that is your particular issue, but what you are describing definitely sounds like a withdrawal-related incident, given how much control the brain has over our other organs and their functioning.

im not a doctor and have no professional opinion, but i think it would be reasonable to count this into your symptom tree and seek outside advice to make sure theres not more you can do to manage it.  you didnt mention the fever itself being a big problem, but who knows what else is being affected at the same time.

vonant

I was about to start a thread about flu like/feverish symptoms after exercise. I have experienced this for several months now. even very mild exercise leaves me with a flu and mild fever for several days. really frustrating. I am 3,5 years post last dosage of Citalopram. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this and if it is related to withdrawal. I have definitely considered thyroid problems as I am sure withdrawal has caused.

InvisibleUnless

exercising tends to worsen my withdrawal symptoms in general for a period of days (oftentimes beginning the hours or day following exercise more than just immediately following).  medication and recovery can lead to thyroid damage or dysregulation, so i dont think it would be a bad idea to get some tests run if you are in a position to.

Petunia

Several similar topics merged.

erer

Wondering if anyone has had the experience of a low-grade fever that comes and goes in withdrawal. I'm familiar with the Paxil flu but couldn't find explicit reference to this particular symptom. I've always had a low body temperature (usually around 97.8) but for the past couple months I often have a temperature around 99.5 but with no other symptoms. It will disappear in a couple hours time and then come back randomly, a day or a week later.

I had this all the time when withdrawing from Cymbalta.

erer

1) Freezing cold all over and nothing would warm me up, even a heating pad turned on high setting, would not eliminate the coldness. These cold spells would last for many, many hours straight.

I am experiencing this now.

Back when I was tapering Cymbalta I knew I had WD symptoms when I started to sweat a lot (which I usually don't do) and the sweat smelled weirdly.

But now I am freezing all the time to the point when I get shivers so intense my neck muscles start cramping. Not loving this...

quitpaxil2015

I had this problem yesterday when I was going through severe WD needing to reinstate to my previous dose. I would shiver and be cold then today a lot of sweating even though it was not too hot.

downtongirl

Last night and tonight when I go to bed I am experiencing periods of chills and shaking....is this normal for Prozac withdrawal?

Mort81

Yes this is normal. I had some wicked shakes while on the meds but also a few episodes of shaking while off. I also had problems with body temperature which I think is why we shake. Magnesium baths could help with this as it stabilizes your whole system.  Almost everyone on this website takes magnesium in some form. 

downtongirl

Thanks for the reply....wonder why it really only happens when I get into bed?  How long did your shakes last? My teeth were actually tapping last night.

Mort81

From what I understand its much more likely to happen when your trying to sleep . Your body tries to regulate temperature while sleeping thats what an old pychiatrist told me. I think he may be right but also our systems are just fragile at the moment .They would last anywhere from 5 min to 15-30 min. Its the main reason why I wanted off of Antidpressants. I was shaking alot.  I havent had an episode in awhile . since July. 

Austin

I can say for myself, yes, chills and shakiness are very prevalent.  Wearing a sweater in here and the thermostat says 72˚.  Not much you can do about shakiness.  Take a deep breath, I guess. 

Mort81

This was the main reason I had to stop SSRI's . I wasnt able to regulate body temperature . I got so hot after exercise expecially hard cardio like Running or Hockey that I actually had 2 syncopes. Besides the Syncopes I got tremors and shakes with regularity.  During the first 6 months of WD I was quite the opposite. I would get cold and not be able to heat up. Now 14 months off and my body temp seems to be normal.

AprilShowers

I'm having a hard time with this. I feel like I have Parkinson's I'm shaking so much. Feet like ice, head & torso boiling & sweaty, shivers & shakes, no saliva, BP 150/100 pulse 107. Heart palpitations & tremor. Body feels like acid. No idea what my temperature is as I have no thermometer but I'm sweating and clammy at the same time. It's hell. Less severe than last week but hell all the same. I think seratonin storm is a good phrase for it even if it's inaccurate. I feel like a living tornado of symptoms. I wish I could switch it off.