SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Holly26: tapering venlafaxine with a compound

Holly26

• Administrator

For what symptoms would you seek TMS? We haven't seen it be a miracle cure for withdrawal syndrome.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrata,

im considering it for my depression and since im of off Effexor i have really bad ocd. That started around 15mg and i cant seem to shake it not even with erp. Thank you

23.2 bipolar mixed state

900mg Lithium for 3 weeks

gabapentin 100 three timesa day it was discontinued after 5 days so i took one or 2 pills for another 5 

zopiclone for 8 days ( 7.5mg one time 15). 

I left the hospital, 8 zopi at home

I took ativan (22 in total, 2 days in between)

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is some info on TMS:

TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation)

On 11/2/2020 at 2:53 PM, Holly26 said:

I recognised i get ocd like symptoms every time i reduce Venlafaxin. 

From your earlier post, it's possible the OCD is related to withdrawal. If so, I would hesitate doing TMS. As Alto stated, we haven't seen this work well for withdrawal. Time and self care may be the best path forward. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 10/19/2021 at 5:30 PM, Holly26 said:

since im of off Effexor i have really bad ocd.

And from a much earlier post:

On 11/3/2020 at 6:53 AM, Holly26 said:

I recognised i get ocd like symptoms every time i reduce Venlafaxin. 

If you did not suffer from OCD prior to any psychiatric drugs then it is related to the drug/getting off the drug.  Other members have mentioned they have/have had the same issues.

obsessive-compulsive-disorder-or-ocd-repetitive-intrusive-thoughts-compulsive-behaviors

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 5 months later...

Gabapentin

Hi Everyone, 

Im on Gabapentin for 2 weeks (300mg) can i stop or do i have to taper? If so how? Thank you 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

23.2 bipolar mixed state

gabapentin 100 three timesa day it was discontinued after 5 days so i took one or 2 pills for another 5 

• Moderator Emeritus

tips-for-tapering-off-neurontin-gabapentin

If you have only been on gabapentin for 2 weeks you might be able to do a fast taper off by reducing 25% off the starting dose each reduction (linear not hyperbolic).  You could try reducing by 25% to 225mg than wait 1 week and then reassess.  If you have withdrawal symptoms, then hold for another week and then reassess.

The possible dose drops would be 225mg, 150mg, 75mg, 0mg.

It will be important to listen to your body/symptoms and hold for longer/reduce by small percentage as needed.

Please update your drug signature with the dates and doses so it remains current.  Thank you.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you so very much!! 

Ich think i made a terrible mistake , my dr prescribed them to me as needed, so i think im kindling. Im beating myself up over it as i should have known better!! I was already having pretty bad withdrawls on them ( anxiety,  severe insomnia, shaking,  ants crawling over my forehead. That is what kindling means, right? Taking them inconsistently.  Thank you!!

23.2 bipolar mixed state

Hi , i had to take zopiclone for a week because of the awefull insomnia i got from gabapentin.  Do i need to taper after a week of zopiclon? Thank you !!

23.2 bipolar mixed state

• Moderator Emeritus

You could go for a night without it and see how you do. 

It generally takes 2 - 4 weeks to become dependent on a benzo or z-drug. But in rare instances, people have become dependent after only a few doses. 

If withdrawal symptoms appear (although it may be hard to tell since insomnia was there before starting zopiclone), you could do a rapid taper off to ease the withdrawal. This could be done with 25% reductions over the course of one week. 

Let us know how you do.

• 1 month later...

Hi Shep thank you very much for your answer! I just saw it now so sorry for my late reply. 

Things did not improve at all. Im still going with 0 to no sleep at all. 

Im wondering if the mixture of medication created a dependency because zopiclon and ativan both bind to GABA.  

Just for clarification. 

3 month ago i was in the psych ward for bipolar mixed state. Hell started when they added gabapentin which was discontinued after 5 days , so i took it sporadically for another 5 days . In that time i developed extreme insomnia, so they put me on zopiclon for 8 days . I left the hospital because i got worse but the insomnia continuess. Within that timeframei took 22 ativan every 4 days so im wondering if im in withdrawls from benzos or zopiclon they both work on GABA. The last time i took ativan is 10 days ago. 

My main symptoms are insomnia and agitation and the mixed state is still untreated aswell because i also discontinued lithium which i took for 2 month. 

So my question is do i need to reinstate ativan or zopiclon and taper of slow? 

Thank you!

23.2 bipolar mixed state

• Moderator Emeritus

Holly, do you believe you have a chemical imbalance? If so, please work with your doctor.

We've been through numerous drugs and drug cocktails with you over the past two years and it's time you decided whether you wish to be drug free or to continue on with this. You can re-read your thread to see the vast number of changes and the times you disregarded the moderators' advice.

I suggest you read Robert Whitaker's book Anatomy of an Epidemic. Here is the book trailer video: 

Robert Whitaker, author Anatomy of an Epidemic video (11.5 minutes)

And on his website, Mad in America, you'll find the scientific research linked:

Mad in America - Anatomy of an Epidemic

A great article:

Long-term Evidence We Can’t Overlook Anymore: Anti-Depressant Outcomes

We can't continue to dig you out of the repeated messes you get yourself into under the belief that you have an "untreated" mixed state. That is your doctor's job.

But i thought you can help me understand if im in drug withdrawl and if i need to reinstate , regardless of the mental health condition 

23.2 bipolar mixed state

• Moderator Emeritus
16 hours ago, Holly26 said:

But i thought you can help me understand if im in drug withdrawl and if i need to reinstate , regardless of the mental health condition 

We don't treat "mental health conditions" here. You're continuing to go on and off psychiatric drugs, which is not the purpose of this website.

If you feel you need continued drug treatment, your needs may be better met on forums such as depressionforums.org  or patientslikeme.com.

And of course, work with your doctor.