cielo: Depression

cielo

I am on Antidepressants and Clonazepam..Medicine gave good relief for my Anxiety ,Stress & Insomnia in initial days.over 6 months Antideps(especially Lexapro) started poop-out.I am feeling my old symptoms back. I am feeling anxious, depressed,over sweating and sleep problems.

Any inputs that I could come off all these non-sense medicine and lead a normal  life..

Thanks a lot in advance.

Edited by Shep
added username to title

Paroxetine- 2008-2011

Clonazepam(0.25-2mg)- 2008- till date

Olanzapaine(2.5mg)- 2008 to till date(discontinued in between)

Lexapro(5mg - 30mg)-June 2018- April 2020(worked very well though medicine got poop-out)

Pregabalin(150mg-300mg)- Using On & off from 2018

Remeron(15mg -30mg) Sep 2018 - March 2020

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Cielo.

Welcome to SA.

How long have you been on Lexapro and clonazepam? 

What time(s) of the day do you take each of these drugs?

Here is some general information on tapering and withdrawal to get you started:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you let us know more about the drugs and supplements you are taking, we can help you set up a plan for tapering. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am on Olanzapine 2.5mg..Planning to tapering it off.I am using this med for sleep along with Clonazepam. Clonazepam is not alone sufficient for good sleep.

Can you please share ideas to come-out of Olnzapine and natual sleep  solutions.Thank you!

Paroxetine- 2008-2011

Lexapro(5mg - 30mg)-June 2018- April 2020(worked very well though medicine got poop-out)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi cielo,

I've moved your new post to your Introduction topic.  Please answer the questions which Shep has asked.  Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/27/2020 at 7:05 AM, Shep said:

Cielo, we need answers to these questions. 

Please find the responses below:

Lexapro - 1year

Clonazepam-6 years

Olanzapine - 5 years

Lexapro- discontinued recently(by gradually)

Clonazepam- before bed 10PM

Olanzapine 2.5 mg- 8PM

My major concern is Sleep.tried multiple supplements though none of them gave good outcome.

Please help.

Paroxetine- 2008-2011

• Administrator

Hello, Cielo.

How did you go off Lexapro? When was the last time you took it? Did you have withdrawal symptoms after you went off it?

Your signature says you were taking venlafaxine in August 2019. Why did you stop taking it? What happened after that? When did you start Lexapro?

How long have you been taking clonazepam at 10 p.m.? What is the dosage?

What happens after you take clonazepam at 10 p.m.? Do you have any symptoms during the day?

Please update your signature with information about clonazepam and Lexapro.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for the response.

By gradual decrease of dose.I took Lexapro 2 weeks back..Yes I do have minor Anxiety symptoms,severe sweating.

I took only for 2-3 weeks and due side effects my doc asked me to discontinue it.

Presently I am on 1mg of Clonazepam my doc asked me to take Clonazepam whenever I feel anxious.

I want to get rid of all these medication.

Presently I am only Clonazepam and Olanzapine only.

Paroxetine- 2008-2011

• Administrator

What was your tapering schedule for going off Lexapro? When was the last time you took it? What was your last dosage amount? Did you get withdrawal symptoms afterward?

2 hours ago, cielo said:

Lexapro - 1year

Clonazepam-6 years

Olanzapine - 5 years

^Is this accurate? NONE OF IT APPEARS IN YOUR SIGNATURE. Please update your signature with information about Lexapro, clonazepam, and olanzapine.

How often do you take clonazepam? Are your symptoms worse at any particular times of day? What is your sleep pattern?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yes the information is accurate. I take Clonazepam depends on my anxiety sometimes twice or thrice.Yes in the morning and evening.

I feel so anxious and my palms will feel sweaty always.I am looking for some natural solutions .Please advise me

Paroxetine- 2008-2011

• Mentor
6 hours ago, cielo said:

Yes the information is accurate. I take Clonazepam depends on my anxiety sometimes twice or thrice.Yes in the morning and evening.

I feel so anxious and my palms will feel sweaty always.I am looking for some natural solutions .Please advise me

This sounds exactly why I went on antidepressants in the first place. I would get so nervous and have panic attacks with sweaty palms. I no longer have these. I am 15 months paroxetine free. I attribute this to nutrition changes I made which directly effect your gut microbiome. This is where a majority of the serotonin in your body is created over 80% is in your gut. So it only makes sense that foods you eat direct effect this. I follow The Plant Paradox by Dr.Gundry. I highly recommend taking a look at it. 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

• Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, Altostrata said:

^Is this accurate? NONE OF IT APPEARS IN YOUR SIGNATURE. Please update your signature with information about Lexapro, clonazepam, and olanzapine.

@cielo We also need the dates in your signature. 

Please update your signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

For more, please see the first post in this thread: 

Please summarize your withdrawal history in your signature

14 hours ago, cielo said:

I take Clonazepam depends on my anxiety sometimes twice or thrice.Yes in the morning and evening.

You'll need to find a dose that works the best most of the time and then stick to it, taking the same amount at the same time every day. 

Please do not vary your doses. You'll need to find non-drug coping methods of getting through rough patches instead of taking an extra dose of clonazepam. Please see:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

• Administrator

In your signature, we need to know

- Exactly what you're taking now, with dosages and when you started each drug

- What you were taking before, with dosages and start and stop dates

As the signature is limited to 12 lines, we expect you will condense your drug history. The last few years usually is sufficient.

is L-theanine is good option for me? Please suggest

Paroxetine- 2008-2011

• Moderator Emeritus
On 5/19/2020 at 3:38 PM, cielo said:

By gradual decrease of dose.I took Lexapro 2 weeks back

Cielo, please let us know more about your Lexapro taper. How quickly did you come off it? 

You have this in your signature - Lexapro(5mg - 30mg)-June 2018- April 2020

At what dose did you stop taking it? 

It's possible you may benefit from a reinstatement. Please see:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Please note that a reinstatement involves a very small amount of the drug in order to help with withdrawal symptoms. 

Please post your thoughts about this.

14 hours ago, cielo said:

is L-theanine is good option for me? Please suggest

You can use the search feature or google "Surviving Antidepressants + [name of supplement]" to find information. Please see:

L-Theanine for anxiety, insomnia

Please do not add in supplements right now. It's possible you may benefit from reinstating Lexapro, so let's discuss that option first. 

Thanks you for your reply.

I have tapered Lexapro gradually..30mg -20mg ,15mg,10mg and 5mg...I have tried starting over Lexapro again though it didn't give any positive relief .

I have fed up by using multiple anti depressants and my Dr told it is treatment resistant depression.

in my recent visit my Dr advise Amitriptyline,I am afraid to start this medicine. 

Noted your suggestion on supplements. 

Please guide me. Thank you

Paroxetine- 2008-2011

I am tried almost many of the anti depressants and due worse side effects have discontinued them with in 2-3 weeks.I am really hopeless what are the options I have now.among all the meds Lexapro worked very well for me unfortunately it got poop out with in 8 months.

Thanks a lot for your time and suggestions. 

Paroxetine- 2008-2011

on other hand, I would like to stay away from all Anti depressants(by experiencing the side effects)  and just manage with Clonazepam and Olanzapaine. 

Paroxetine- 2008-2011

I have my family and kids, they are suffering because of my Anxiety issues.:(

Paroxetine- 2008-2011

• Administrator

What times of day do you take clonazepam and at what dosages?

4 hours ago, cielo said:

I have tapered Lexapro gradually..30mg -20mg ,15mg,10mg and 5mg...I have tried starting over Lexapro again though it didn't give any positive relief .

How did you go off Remeron in March? Did your symptom pattern change after that?

Did your symptom pattern change when you went off Lexapro in April?

Going on and off psychiatric drugs can make your nervous system hypersensitive to all psychotropics and even other drugs and supplements. It's been documented that people often don't get benefit from antidepressants after a history of drug changes. This is an iatrogenic condition, not a psychiatric disorder mislabeled "treatment-resistant depression." Your nervous system probably needs a rest.

Thank you for the response.

1. I will take Clonazepam(0.5 mg sometimes 1mg) in the night before I sleep probably by 10:30 PM, also I will take this med during day when I feel anxisous(0.5mg)

2. Remeron worked very well for Insomnia though I had appetite issue with this drug I was gating wight, hence stopped this med

3.My doctor advised , since none of the meds are working he is asking me to stop all in a week and just stick with Clonazepam,Lyrica and amitriptyline (not started this drug yet) 

I understand 'Your nervous system probably needs a rest', Request you to elaborate on this.I am in dilemma whether slowly decrease all the meds or take in little dosage.

Sincere request to guide me.

Paroxetine- 2008-2011

• Administrator

How did your symptom pattern change after you went off Remeron in March and Lexapro in April?

First, you need to stop changing drugs. Please take your drugs at the same dosages at the same times each day.

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right.

It's very possible that all your "anxiety" symptoms for the last 10 years are from the way you use clonazepam, att @Shep or adverse effects of various drugs.

After you make a lot of drug changes, your nervous system gets tired and may not respond well to other drugs. It can also make symptoms, such as withdrawal symptoms. The more drugs you pour on it, the worse it gets.

51 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

How did your symptom pattern change after you went off Remeron in March and Lexapro in April?

First, you need to stop changing drugs. Please take your drugs at the same dosages at the same times each day.

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right.

It's very possible that all your "anxiety" symptoms for the last 10 years are from the way you use clonazepam, att @Shep or adverse effects of various drugs.

After you make a lot of drug changes, your nervous system gets tired and may not respond well to other drugs. It can also make symptoms, such as withdrawal symptoms. The more drugs you pour on it, the worse it gets.

I got some anxiety symptoms came back though I have managed them with high dose of Lyrica  300mg & 300mg and clonazepam ..

my dr plan is to stop all medicine and just stick on with Lyrica ,Clonazepam & Amytryptline (I am not using Amytryptline as it is not avialable in my place)

Yeah I agree changing meds frequently is not a good idea and it is affecting my nervous system.

I need your advise whether I could stop all anti deps and just manage with Lyrica and Clonazepam..

or can I take Lexapro in short dosage?

Thanks a lot for your time to respond my post.

Paroxetine- 2008-2011

I have also tried Propranolol for few days and discontinued it.

Below link is stating Propranolol would be safer treatment for restlessness. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1192441/

Paroxetine- 2008-2011

• Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, cielo said:

1. I will take Clonazepam(0.5 mg sometimes 1mg) in the night before I sleep probably by 10:30 PM, also I will take this med during day when I feel anxisous(0.5mg)

Please pick exact times and take them at the same dose and time every day. Taking a drug when you feel anxious is going to be very problematic. You'll end up varying the times you take your dose each day, which will destabilize your nervous system. 

Your nervous system needs as much consistency as possible. 

8 hours ago, cielo said:

I got some anxiety symptoms came back though I have managed them with high dose of Lyrica  300mg & 300mg and clonazepam ..

When were you on Lyrica? 

8 hours ago, cielo said:

I have also tried Propranolol for few days and discontinued it.

Please update your signature to reflect ALL your drugs. Your signature is here: 

Account Settings - Create or Update Your Signature

8 hours ago, cielo said:

Below link is stating Propranolol would be safer treatment for restlessness. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1192441/

That study was done by a doctor funded by multiple pharmaceutical companies, as listed in the "Footnotes" section. It's incredibly biased. 

We don't recommend adding in more drugs to treat withdrawal. The more sedating drugs you add in, the more likely you'll suffer from paradoxical reactions, meaning you'll have more anxiety and insomnia and other symptoms. 

Right now we can't make any recommendations because we don't know what you're taking. You keep posting about taking additional or different drugs. 

Please look at this section of the forum and find ways of dealing with your symptoms without reaching for more and different drugs. 

Check out the links for mindfulness and the links for handling anxiety. You may also like Dr. Claire Weekes work. A lot of members report feeling better after listening to her talks.

Dr. Claire Weekes - How To Recover From Anxiety

You can also find her talks on YouTube. 

Many people find guided sleep meditations a great way to wind down in the evening.  This is an example of one and there are many more out there on YouTube: 

Guided Meditation Deep sleep | anxiety and insomnia relief | relaxation before bedtime (21 minutes)

There are also breathing techniques that can be helpful, such as the 4-7-8 breathing technique. 

4-7-8 Breathing Exercise by GoZen video (3.5 minutes)

Please explore these links and find ways of handling your symptoms with non-drug coping methods. Continuing to find solutions in more drugs will only result in more withdrawal problems. 

• Moderator Emeritus
45 minutes ago, Shep said:

When were you on Lyrica? 

@cielo Sorry, Cielo - I see you have Pregabalin in your signature, which is Lyrica. Please note that "on and off" use is problematic for the same reasons as we've discussed regarding your clonazepam dosing. 

• Administrator
20 hours ago, Altostrata said:

cielo, keeping these notes is very important, as well as taking each of your drugs at the same dosage and time every day.

Bouncing around on psychotropics is like playing ping-pong with your nervous system. It can't keep up.

15 hours ago, Shep said:

Please pick exact times and take them at the same dose and time every day. Taking a drug when you feel anxious is going to be very problematic. You'll end up varying the times you take your dose each day, which will destabilize your nervous system. 

Your nervous system needs as much consistency as possible. 

Sure .Noted your helpful suggestion.

15 hours ago, Shep said:

When were you on Lyrica? 

Please update your signature to reflect ALL your drugs. Your signature is here: 

Account Settings - Create or Update Your Signature

That study was done by a doctor funded by multiple pharmaceutical companies, as listed in the "Footnotes" section. It's incredibly biased. 

We don't recommend adding in more drugs to treat withdrawal. The more sedating drugs you add in, the more likely you'll suffer from paradoxical reactions, meaning you'll have more anxiety and insomnia and other symptoms. 

Right now we can't make any recommendations because we don't know what you're taking. You keep posting about taking additional or different drugs. 

Please look at this section of the forum and find ways of dealing with your symptoms without reaching for more and different drugs. 

Check out the links for mindfulness and the links for handling anxiety. You may also like Dr. Claire Weekes work. A lot of members report feeling better after listening to her talks.

Dr. Claire Weekes - How To Recover From Anxiety

You can also find her talks on YouTube. 

Many people find guided sleep meditations a great way to wind down in the evening.  This is an example of one and there are many more out there on YouTube: 

Guided Meditation Deep sleep | anxiety and insomnia relief | relaxation before bedtime (21 minutes)

There are also breathing techniques that can be helpful, such as the 4-7-8 breathing technique. 

4-7-8 Breathing Exercise by GoZen video (3.5 minutes)

Please explore these links and find ways of handling your symptoms with non-drug coping methods. Continuing to find solutions in more drugs will only result in more withdrawal problems. 

Thanks a lot! I shall follow above recommendations and strictly follow the schedule of medicine intake time and dosage.Also I will follow the other coping methods as suggested.

Paroxetine- 2008-2011

4 hours ago, Altostrata said:

cielo, keeping these notes is very important, as well as taking each of your drugs at the same dosage and time every day.

Bouncing around on psychotropics is like playing ping-pong with your nervous system. It can't keep up.

Sure,I understand the context now.Will surely follow the these instructions. Thanks a lot for all your time and valuable recommendations. 

My apologies for not sharing the adequate details/proper details in signature in time 

Paroxetine- 2008-2011