SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

MadMason: cannot tolerate antidepressants

MadMason

I am 58 and for 25 years doctors always tried me on various SRI, SSRI drugs all with worsening effects. Paxil was the worst. I was an Engineer out of town and found myself unable to sign out of a hotel room. I was taken to the ER and diagnosed with Serotonin Syndrome. 

Back home my GP put me on Valium twice/ day and so other doctors that had my continuing care...neurologists, surgeons left me on it. Actually I was not taking it continually just as needed.

Since that time a new GP tried me on Cymbalta with immediate severe negative effects. So they went thru the entire spectra of this drug class with the same effect. I saw myself dead in a casket, envisioned shooting myself in the head, etc.

I was put on Fentanyl transdermal patches following taper from oxycodone, morphine and nucynta (a -n-SSRI resulting in massive headache).

I remained on the fentanyl without any benzo and began to develop severe anxiety, inability to sleep. An Emory Neurologist team put me on clonazepam and suggested I see a psychiatrist. He put me on 1mg twice per day. The anxiety stopped completely.

I have never been able to take the SSRI or SRI drugs. In fact, a neurologist tried me on amitriptyline while I was taking Fentanyl and I barley made it to the ER before dying. My kidneys were shutting down.

The FDA drug insert allows for concomitant use with opioids when other drugs are ineffective.

I am now 65 with severe OA, Lumbar spinal stenosis. Very disabling physically, mentally and socially.

I have never been able to take any of the SRI, SSRIs without winding up in the hospital with Serotonin syndrome.  I almost did not make it last year. May 24, 2019. 24 Hours in the ER. 

• Altostrata changed the title to MadMason cannot tolerate antidepressants
  • Administrator

Hello, MadMason.

I moved your post here to start a proper Introductions topic for you.

Not that it was your fault, but after a number of failures, did you consider refusing any more antidepressants?

I'm sorry you're in this state. This is a site for going off drugs, how may we help you here?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to MadMason: cannot tolerate antidepressants