Nevergiveup: Persistence with slow Paxil withdrawal

Nevergiveup

Hi there ,

I am new to this forum . A bit about me . I have had social/performance anxiety which comes and goes . About 18 years ago , my gp prescribed Paxil 20mg . He told me at the time it was non addictive and I don’t recall a very long conversation re the pros and cons ... I started on Paxil and felt so much better and it really worked for me . As time went on I realised that the side effects were loss of libido, inability to cry, weight gain etc .. so , I learnt that I had to slowly decrease . I managed to get down to half and stay on 10mg for about 8 years .. then with life stressors , I wasn’t sleeping etc , so my go recommended last year that I go back up to 20mg ... again , it worked and helped with sleep and got me back on track . Then in January this year I started with a 10 percent drop again every 2 months . So very slowly, I’m hoping to be back on half a Paxil by the end of the year !!  Then take it from there .. if I had known how hard it would be to get off Paxil, I never would have taken that first tablet , despite the fact that it did help me ...

Paxil 20 mg 2003 GAD, reduced to 10mg 2011-2017 . Unsuccessful taper , back to 15mg 2017, and 20mg 2018. End 2020, 10.60mg, and continuing slow taper 

• manymoretodays changed the title to Nevergiveup: Persistence with slow Paxil withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Nevergiveup.  I'm very glad you're tapering so slowly.  We recommend tapering no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks, but spreading it out to every two months is fine.  Keep in mind that each reduction is 10% of your current dose, not 10% of the original  20mg dose.  Your estimate that you should be at 10mg in a year at your current rate of reduction is correct.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This link is specifically bout tapering Paxil, including how to get the non-standard doses you'll need for your taper.

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members. We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi Gridley , thank you so much for reaching out with your very helpful advice . I will slowly introduce those supplements that you recommended. I will keep assessing how I feel after each 10 percent drop from last dose every 2 months . Slowly but surely ! Take care 

Paxil 20 mg 2003 GAD, reduced to 10mg 2011-2017 . Unsuccessful taper , back to 15mg 2017, and 20mg 2018. End 2020, 10.60mg, and continuing slow taper 

• Mentor

Hello! You can do it! I know exactly how you feel. It made me feel better for awhile and long term destroyed my body. I lost the feelings of being a human.... almost every single one of them. I am glad I am off of paxil. The slower the better. I followed my doctors advice and had a fast taper and DO NOT recommend it. I feel way better now and am almost 15 months drug free!!!!!!!!!!! :) Remember everyday that passes is one day closer to being healed  :D 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

Ohhhh , thank you so much for reaching out and giving me hope !! Well done you !!! You have and are doing so well !! I will persevere.. also , I’m very interested to read that healthy nutrition/plant based helped you ! Thank you again 

• Mentor
1 hour ago, Nevergiveup said:

Ohhhh , thank you so much for reaching out and giving me hope !! Well done you !!! You have and are doing so well !! I will persevere.. also , I’m very interested to read that healthy nutrition/plant based helped you ! Thank you again 

I demand that you read it! The best $15 I ever spent. I had tried 3 times before to get off of Paxil and did not succeed or come even close before. This time was challenging but I am off and 100% know nutrition played a massive factor. A huge amount of your serotonin in your body is created in your gut. The foods you eat directly influence its creation. If you have any questions ask away! 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

I will purchase the book straight away !! I too am such a believer that brain/gut health is inter- linked . Did you give up coffee, as I love coffee !!!!

• Mentor
18 minutes ago, Nevergiveup said:

I will purchase the book straight away !! I too am such a believer that brain/gut health is inter- linked . Did you give up coffee, as I love coffee !!!!

Yes! I never believed it until I changed my nutrition and watched my life change for the better. Dr.G is a beast! 

I never drank coffee before withdrawals. I drank it as fatigue was so crushing. But recently I have stopped drinking caffeinated coffee as it gives me rowdy headaches. So I just drink decaf now. 

Thank you again .. very helpful again . Was the extreme fatigue due to difficulty sleeping? 

• Mentor
20 hours ago, Nevergiveup said:

Thank you again .. very helpful again . Was the extreme fatigue due to difficulty sleeping? 

Abit from that. Mainly just withdrawal though. It was so debilitating. 

Oh wowwww ... I admire your strength very much . Hopefully if I keep reducing slowly it won’t be quite as debilitating, the lower I go ?? I’m reading The Plant Paradox , and although my diets pretty healthy , this book makes so much sense . The fact that you swear by it , is enough motivation for me !!

• Mentor

Hi Never

I too tapered off Paxil, after about nine years taking it.  You're on the right path--a nice slow taper with a chance to stabilize after each reduction.  In total, it took me about three years to successfully taper, deal with the withdrawal symptoms and to learn CBT-based coping skills.  Three years may seem like a long time, but it was nothing compared to how great it felt to be free of that drug.

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

Hi MS, 

Thank you so much for your comment, it is very encouraging. Well done to you . 
I’m interested to know what ‘Paxil progress’ is ?

I think slow and steady taper will be my only way , and more than likely over 3 years . I will also look into cbt therapy as well . Did you focus on nutrition as well ?

thanks again 

• Mentor

Hi

Paxilprogress.org was a website very much like this one, which supported people coming off antidepressants and similar medications.  Several members here, including the Admin. Altostrata, were members.  It stopped functioning in 2014.

I didn't make a lot of nutritional changes when I was tapering because we've always tried to eat healthy, but I did cut way back on caffeine, which for me was a big deal, since I love a good cup of coffee, especially in the mornings!

Tim C

Hi MS ,

Thank you so much for that . So very helpful. The support on this site from people like you who have gone through it and come out the other end smiling is so encouraging!!

I also eat healthily, but will try The Plant Paradox , to further help me along this journey !!

Similarly , I am a big coffee drinker in the mornings, but will slowly try and cut back .

Thank you again for your inspiration 

Hi MS ,

Thank you so much for that . So very helpful. The support on this site from people like you who have gone through it and come out the other end smiling is so encouraging!!

I also eat healthily, but will try The Plant Paradox , to further help me along this journey !!

Similarly , I am a big coffee drinker in the mornings, but will slowly try and cut back .

Thank you again for your inspiration 

ps , by taking it really slowly over 3 years , were the withdrawals still incredibly debilitating as you decreased to low doses ?

Hi Cocopuffz,

im still studying The Plant Paradox and will start following it this week . My diet is pretty healthy , but I certainly have room for improvement. Did you follow it 100 percent? 
thanks again

• Mentor
32 minutes ago, Nevergiveup said:

Hi Cocopuffz,

im still studying The Plant Paradox and will start following it this week . My diet is pretty healthy , but I certainly have room for improvement. Did you follow it 100 percent? 
thanks again

I have followed it I would say 99% and every time I do not I get smashed with withdrawals. For example I started putting abit more sugar and did not eat blanched almonds and my headaches have returned with muscle spasms. I know they will subside soon as I went back 100%. 

Oh thank you so much for that .. that’s enough inspiration to stick to it isn’t it . Wow , it’s interesting how much of a difference a slight deviation makes ... so blanched almonds and not raw almonds ?

Also , is there a bread we can eat ? In the book it says Barley Bread , but I’m struggling to find it here in SA ?

• Mentor
16 minutes ago, Nevergiveup said:

Oh thank you so much for that .. that’s enough inspiration to stick to it isn’t it . Wow , it’s interesting how much of a difference a slight deviation makes ... so blanched almonds and not raw almonds ?

Also , is there a bread we can eat ? In the book it says Barley Bread , but I’m struggling to find it here in SA ?

Yea, was a small mistake on my part. Forgot that they need to be blanched. I have not ate bread. But I’m sure you could find some millet or sorghum bread ! 

Thank you again , I’ll try and just go bread free too !! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MS ,

re your slow taper over 3 years ... do you remember how much you reduced each time , and how often would you reduce ? Would you recommend every 2 months a small reduction!

many thanks 

• Mentor
5 minutes ago, Nevergiveup said:

Hi MS ,

re your slow taper over 3 years ... do you remember how much you reduced each time , and how often would you reduce ? Would you recommend every 2 months a small reduction!

many thanks 

Good morning from Portugal!

I tapered about 10 percent each time.  (I say "about" because I used a pill cutter and eyeballed the dose, which wasn't the best way).  yes, I'd wait about eight weeks between reductions, but I also went by how I felt and if I was ready.  Especially early in my taper I would wait till I felt confident I could handle the symptoms and then reduce.  To keep track, I taped a calendar on the inside of my medicine cabinet so I wouldn't reduce too soon--it also helped me set tapering goals and encouraged me to practice coping strategies to handle each reduction.

Tim C

Oh thank you so much from down here in Aust this evening!!

Again , good advice, and that’s pretty much how I’m trying to tackle the taper too ! By gauging how I’m feeling each couple of months ! I’m also getting a compound pharmacist to decrease by 10 percent for me as I’m not so good with the pill cutter !

thanks again 

Hi NGU. I'm stopping by to wish good luck in your journey. I stepped in the wrong direction by withdrawing Paxil cold turkey, now I'm having to reinstate. I am following your story closely in order to learn from it.

2010-2020: Paxil CR 25mg 

Early April-2020: quit Paxil cold turkey 

Mid May-2020: reinstate Paxil CR 3mg

• 2 months later...

Hi Tony , sorry , I only just saw your message. Yes , cold turkey is not the way to go ! I’m hoping slow and steady is ! I’m literally reducing by 10 percent every 6-8 weeks! Hang in there , and take care 

Hello again ,

im just wondering if you guys have any tips for helping with sleep. The lower I reduce , my sleep can be affected? I’d love any advice?

many thanks

N G U

• Moderator Emeritus

Please create your drug signature so we can see your drug history at a glance.  Thank you.

Instructions:  Drug History Signature

Link to your signature; remember to save:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
6 minutes ago, Nevergiveup said:

any tips for helping with sleep. The lower I reduce , my sleep can be affected?

It is not a given that your sleep will be affected as you lower your dose.  The aim when tapering is to taper at a rate that keeps withdrawal symptoms to a minimum.

tips-to-help-sleep-so-many-of-us-have-that-awful-withdrawal-insomnia

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you CC, overall my sleep is pretty good as I taper slowly... you’re right ! (Last week wasn’t great , but I’ve been much better again this week).So , slow and steady wins the race !

• 5 months later...

Hi there , just wanted to give an update on progress . I’ve been doing a slow taper all year from 20 mg , and currently on 11.6 mg , and about to drop to 10.5 mg . My goal was 10 mg by the end of the year , so I’m nearly there . I plan to stay on 10 mg for a while , and see how I go . I’m wondering if others that have tapered off Paxil successfully could tell me if it’s a lot harder going from 10 mg down to 0 mg , compared with 20 mg , down to 10 mg !! I’m taking it really slowly. I’m loving yoga , and trying to practice “allowing, floating, let time pass”, if I’m feeling anxious! I don’t care how long this taper takes ... slow and steady !

• Mentor
6 hours ago, Nevergiveup said:

I’m wondering if others that have tapered off Paxil successfully could tell me if it’s a lot harder going from 10 mg down to 0 mg , compared with 20 mg , down to 10 mg !!

Hi Nvergiveup

I found as I tapered to lower dosages it actually got easier as my body adjusted to having lower levels of the drug in my system and I became more confident in my use of coping skills to manage my anxiety.  As I got really close to zero, I did feel some anxiety, but that was more from just wanting to be done with it than from WD.  Slow and steady really is the way to go!

Tim C

Hey Tim 

Thankyou so much for your message. That makes me feel so much better about my next stage of tapering!

Thank you again , and I’ll continue with slow and steady !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if Paxil is similar to Cipramil? It’s just that a friend has successfully tapered off Cipramil?

Many thanks 

• 4 months later...

I just thought id report in that I’m now down to half a tablet , (10mg) daily , after decreasing from 20mg over 12 months ago . Over the years I have stayed on 10 mg for quite a while , but my pattern has been to yo yo between 10-15 mg mainly . Since starting on aropax 18 years ago , I’ve never gone lower than 10 mg . I am worried about increased side effects, but will try a 10 percent drop , and not reduce again , until I feel stable . I don’t care how long it takes !

• Administrator

Good to hear, @Nevergiveup

Please post updates here in your Introductions topic, we want to hear from you!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.