SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Rob7: Coming off amitriptyline - is this even the right thing to do?

Rob7

Hi there. 

Im new to this and am posting cause im worries that im never going to get better.... Had chronic headaches star from out of the blue c3.5 years ago and have had lots of drugs and every therapy, holistic, Physco treatment going. Now, headaches are less of a problem, still there 95% of time, but have anxiety, depression, anger, extra sensitivity to sounds and movement, disassociation, hopelessness etc. This has / is ruining my life, and I pray it will go back to normal - soon!

For chronic headaches - amitriptyline - Started 10 Nov 2019 - 10mg up to 30mg. On that dose for 6 months, up until 10 days ago.

Helped a bit with head pain, but bad and constant anxiety, depression, disassociation, (particularly awful).

At the same time, for above symptoms, Escoltalpram 5mg - 10mg. Was on that from 1 Dec 2019 - mid Feb 2020 as it didn't help with anything.

Since start March, on Sertoline (100mg) and Quetiapine 25mg daily).

In the past I have been on Topirimate (had very bad side effects), Pregablin (helped a bit but stopped working) - all for chronic headaches.

Ive decided, alongside a new psychiatrists (all of which i think are pretty useless tbh, im on my 4th), to stop the amitriptyline because i think its that which has increased any anxiety, moods and denationalization. Although its very difficult to know as all the symptoms and side effects are the same! Over the last 10 days, ive gone from 30mg, to 20mg, to 15mg and last night stopped altogether.

I am now very worried about withdrawal, which seems to be all the same things i have already! So how is anyone supposed to get better, when no one can say whats what! I appreciate the complexities in all this.

I think im looking for some advice if ive tappered off too quickly, what to expect and how long it might last.

Also, if there is any hope of going back to "normal", how i spent the first 39 of 42 years!

The only real time i feel sort of ok is when i drink a lot of alcohol - which i know isnt a great thing to be doing.

any thoughts or comments welcomed.

Rob

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Rob7.

From the symptoms you  describe, it sounds like you had an adverse reaction to the Ami, which basically means it was poison to your system.  The symptoms of an adverse reaction are very similar to withdrawal symptoms, which you're likely also experiencing due to your fast taper.  You will recover, but it's going to take some time and unfortunately we can't predict how long.  

So that you have a better idea of what you're experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

As you probably know, we don't recommend alcohol during withdrawal.

You should use this link to check the interaction between Sertraline and Quetiapine, as there is a moderate interaction between the two drugs you should be aware of.

Drug Interactions Checker

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi .thanks for this. I’m now off amatriplin and Quetiapine, since last week. I haven’t felt any worse, and on balance have probably felt better since coming of them.

i am also considering coming of the sertraline, 100mg, which I’ve been on for 2 months, since March 2020. 
I have no idea if this this a good thing to do, my last physc wanted to put me up a dose, but I want to get back to normal, and feel getting off all meds might help with that. 
I know no one has the answers, which why all of this is so scary and frustrating.
do you have any advice? Is this too many changes too quickly?

rob

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Rob7 said:

am also considering coming of the sertraline, 100mg, which I’ve been on for 2 months, since March 2020. 

I wouldn't come off the Sertraline right now.  You've made some big changes, and it's important to let your system stabilize on being off the drugs.

I would hold where you are for at least three months.  If at that point you're feeling stable, you can start a slow taper off the Sertraline.  We recommend tapering no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

When the time comes to taper the Sertraline, I can give you more specific information on tapering this drug.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 11 months later...

Hi, I just read your thread and wanted to follow up to see how you are doing. Did you decide to taper the sertraline?

Completely drug free 11/26/22 🎉

Supplements: Magnesium citrate: 250 mg; Fish oil: 1200 mg

“When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.” - Victor Frankl