☼ KenA: 8 months in withdrawal after CT

• Administrator

Hey everybody just wanted to give a quick update :) Starting month 16 now and I have to say this is the best I've felt since this whole process started :)  Had a bit of a longer wave last month than I had been used to, but I truly feel that it helped push me into the next level of healing!! My waves before this last one had usually lasted 8-9 days, then I would get a 3 week windows with minimum symptoms. This time I ended up having a 17 day wave, but it wasn't as intense as the ones before! The symptoms were more mild and I was able to push through them a lot easier than before. Now don't get me wrong, having them every day for 17 days was def a bit annoying, but after that wave finally ended, I noticed that some symptoms such as depression or anxiety have pretty much gone now. I'm on day 22 of this window and the only symptoms I've experienced are some very mild dp/dr and a bit of very quiet hissing tinnitus. It's really not even a ringing tone anymore, just a very mild hiss that I can ignore very easily! But the morning anxiety has mostly gone away now and my sleep is really good. The only time I sleep less that 6-7 hours a night now is if I stay up too late enjoying feeling good. It is amazing how long this process has taken, but how close I feel now to being healed. I truly do believe that within the next couple of months the remaining symptoms should fade away. But if not, I'm ready to do this for as long as it takes!! It truly has been an extremely long journey, but one that I feel could possibly be coming to an end sooner rather than later!! Hopefully in my update next month the news will be even better than this month!! I can honestly say back in the midst of the acute withdrawals I would feel like I was going to be the one person that was not going to heal, but I can truthfully tell you today that yes, I will be healed!! And you will too!!! Keep going and going for as long as it takes until you are healed!!! It is worth the daily struggle to be free to live our lives and be happy again!! Till then, take each day as best as you can and just remember to breathe!! This too shall pass!! Till next month take care everyone and stay strong!! You have got this and you know it!

2010-2011 - Tramadol - Can't remember dosage

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

2011-2019 - St Johns Wart - Started out at 3 Pills a day (300 MG) and increased to 6 per day over the years

August 2019 - CT Quit St Johns (Told by Hospital Dr to Stop Taking due to increased BP)

September 2019 - Citalopram 10mg - Approx 2 weeks - CT Quit

September 2019 - October 2019 - Clonazepam .5mg - Approx 3 weeks - CT Quit

Drug Free Since October 5th 2019

• Moderator Emeritus

Please read this post, and especially note about alcohol!

It Doesn’t end at “0”

Q:  So you are off all psychiatric drugs/supplements  now?

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

@ChessieCat

Thank you so much for sharing the link. I will def take the advice to heart for sure :)

I am now 14 months completely drug free. I was one of those who didn't know any better and CT quit everything. By the time I found out about tapering it was too late to reinstate so I just hung on for the ride and made it day by day.

Ken

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

2011-2019 - St Johns Wart - Started out at 3 Pills a day (300 MG) and increased to 6 per day over the years

August 2019 - CT Quit St Johns (Told by Hospital Dr to Stop Taking due to increased BP)

• ChessieCat changed the title to ☼ KenA: 8 months in withdrawal after CT

@KenA

So happy for you mate! Great news. 

2009 - Paxil 20mg for GAD, OCD

2010 - straight swap to lexapro 10-20mg

2017 - straight swap to Prozac 20mg adverse reaction - developed tinnitus, insomnia, OCD, GAD symptoms, 

Reinstated lexapro 10mg symptoms improve. Slight tinnitus remains.  
Jan 2019 - Attempted “slower” taper for 3 months,  med free for 11 weeks and felt ok.

June 2019 - WD symptoms struck. 

Reinstated Lexapro 10mg Immediate adverse reaction 
July 2019-July 2020 multiple meds from psychiatrist inc:

Diazepam 5mg for 12 weeks, lexapro up to 40mg for 12 weeks (tinnitus worsens, seizure type symptoms, intrusive thoughts etc) Effexor up to 150mg for 7-8 weeks, Zoloft up to 100mg for 12 weeks, Remeron 6 weeks, Paxil to 20mg for 12 weeks 

Quick taper CT Paxil in 4 weeks and drug free since July 19, 2020. 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Hey everybody!! 

Just wanted to post a quick update!!! The last month has been a very positive month for sure!! I did have a small wave that lasted maybe a week and a half or so, but it was extremely mild. Had a few symptoms like morning anxiety and a bit of sadness, but it was very easy to get through and I just kept up my normal routine. I distracted myself and stayed busy until the feelings passed and got through it!! I have been in the most amazing window for the last 11-12 days now. I've had 2 days in this window that were I would say symptom free. Just a tiny bit of hissing in my ears, but soooooo extremely easy to ignore!!! I thought about the hissing, then just shrugged my shoulders and went on about my business!! It's to the point now where I can forget about it and not notice it unless I really stop and think about it!! Healing truly is happening!! Not ready to write a success story just yet, but I feel like I could be on the cusp of being back to my old self minus the pills. It truly has been a long journey to get to this point, but the secret to it is to never give up!!! You have to keep the faith that you will heal one day!! I truly did believe for the longest time that I was never going to heal, but ever so slowly things started to get better and better!! And if I can feel this good now, so can you!!! I truly had lost hope for a while, but I kept on going and pushing through until it came back!!! Life truly is good again!! I know that I've still got a bit more healing to do, but at this point I would say I feel 97-98% there. Just a few more minor kinks for my brain and CNS to get worked out. Till then I just take my life one day at a time and live it to the fullest!!! Stay strong everyone!! You've got this and you know it!!

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

@KenA  That is fantastic!  It is great that you are sharing this and inspiring others to keep going forwards.  Thanks for the great news!

Started .25 mg. clonazapam Oct. 2016

Started 10 mg. Celexa Dec. 2016

Started 10 mg. amitriptyline January 2017

Also took 60 mg. Dexilant Oct. 2016 through April 2017, successfully tapered off

Stopped Celexa successfully Oct. 2017

Fast taper of amitriptyline Dec. 2017, had major WD symptoms and reinstated at 10 mg. Jan. 2018

Slow amitryptyline taper started Mar. 2019, reduced from 10 mg. to 0.93 mg. currently

Also still taking .25 mg. clonazapam daily in late evening

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Hi Everyone,

Been a little while since I have checked in so I wanted to give a quick update! I have been doing very very well lately. I've started having some completely symptom free days!! I has been so amazing to feel like my old self again and to feel like I've almost gotten to the finish line. I'm not quite there just yet, but now when I get a wave it only lasts a matter of hours instead of lasting days like it used to. And the intensity of the waves has dropped down to such a low level they are now just more of an annoyance than anything. I've been able to get back to enjoying life once again and things are looking very bright!!! Healing is happening each and every day and I never stopped believing that!! Even now when I get a bit of DP/DR or tinnitus I just sit back and relax and wait for it to pass, because over the time I have learned that it will ALWAYS PASS!!!  This truly is a temporary state we are in while our bodies heal and one day it will be complete! Looking forward to writing a success story very soon for sure. Just have to let these last bits of healing complete then I will consider myself healed. It has been quite a long journey, but one that has been worth it! If I can do it, so can all of you. Just remember to keep giving it more and more TIME!! That's the secret. Time and more time.

Till next time,

Ken

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

That’s lovely to hear @KenA, I can imagine the relative peace in yourself must feel like a luxury - I hope you can get used to it again:)

Early September 2019 - One 25mg dose of Sertraline taken.

Early October 2019 - Five 25mg doses (pills) of Sertraline taken for five consecutive days.

Withdrawal/reaction happened on the 27th of October (2019) in the evening.

Symptoms that have gone: Joint and muscle pain/weakness in my legs, phantom senses, chemical dread, chemical fear, DP/DR has gotten a lot lot better than what it is now, it was one of my worst and all-encompassing symptoms when it started, awful aphasia, parkinsonism, head pressure, pressure in my frontal lobe when trying to think/work out something, inability to plan or execute anything//feelings of being literally scatterbrained, inability to think in my head other than slight acknowledgements - the voice in my head sounded weak and 'small' like it was restrained to a much smaller area of my brain, constant fatigue, emotional numbness, constant eyestrain, and changes in perception of colour/contrast in sight.

Main remaining symptoms: Visual Snow/HPPD, derealisation, tinnitus, and brain/cog fog.

Drug free.

• Administrator

@Icip It has taken a bit of getting used to feeling good again. Someday I feel like I'm waiting on the other shoe to drop and to start feeling bad again. But the more days that go by, the more confidence I have that I'm almost done with this roller coaster ride. 

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

• 1 month later...

Hey Ken!  I’ve been following your story pretty regularly.  I use it as inspiration for me and my recovery.  Our stories are different but your approach to WD has been inspiring to me.  I’m about 9 months out and i think generally I’ve improved.  I’ve called my better days’ windows’ but who really knows.  In the end i guess I’m having good and bad days somewhat frequently.  But i wanted to stop by and just say hello and I’m happy you’re on the tail end of this journey.  I know we’re all different but when i look at your timeline and see mine I’m hoping I’m on a similar path.  

i hope you don’t mind a question for you.  Do you have kids?  I think you’ve mentioned your wife.  I’m just curious how you’ve approached life with your family whatever that may be?  Have you worked this entire time?  My biggest struggle is balancing my wife and kids with this and also work.  

thanks Ken!  Wishing you continued healing!  

2003-2006-  Zoloft then Wellbutrin, Ritalin, concerta , Adderall.  Don’t remember dosage, tapers or timeframes. ADD treatment. I think I had some WD?  Definitely PSSD which resolved over time. 

Zoloft  100 MG April18-april 22, 2020

Buspirone 20 mg from April 18-May 18

10 mg from May 18 - May 27 2020

Lexapro 5 mg from April 22 through May 1st

10 mg from May 1 through June 1

5 mg from June 1 though june 18

2.5 mg from June 18 through June 25

1.25 mg from June 25 through July 4 2020

Ambien -  2.5 mg  April 21 and 26 2020

Trazodone 50 mg-  3 times late April and 4 days the first week in June 2020

Supplements:  Melatonin .23 mg

You used Tramadol and st. John wort together with no issue's?

My orthomoleculair doctor wants me to taper the of my antidepressants with crossing over to it and 5 htp.

But given most experieces and advise, I shouldn't.

1998-2020  Paroxetine 20mg, stopped working 2018/08 tapered down to 6mg now @ 1%/week 2019 /04      Lorazepam 3x1mg, 1x0,5mg night, Lormetazepam 0,5mg night
2019/05       Buspirone addition 3x5mg worked like wonders for one month, stopped ct 2019/12        Mirtazipine, first 2x10mg til 2021/2, no effect, now 3mg for sleep
2020/06       Wellbutrin 6 weeks, no effect stopped ct 2020/08 Lexapro, trying, to crossover, got crazy from 1 mg/day after 6 days, stopped
2020/11        Clomipramine to 50mg, adverse effect, restless, panic, low mood, anxiety, fast taper down to 30 (plan is go to ~20 and hold and taper only parox. and benzo's and maybe Mirt if I sleep)

2021/1         3x1000mg gaba, 3x10mg Lithium Orotate, 3x 1000mg L-Tyrosine,2-3 times 1x400mg magnesium citrate , 2-3 times 1x1000mg vit. C,1x15mg Zinc,

3 times 2mg Molybdeen Glycinate, 2 times 2000mg Omgea 3-6-9 and 1x16mg B6 (P5P) 2021/03/17  Gaba, Tyrosine and Lithium orotate to 3x1 tablet.

2021/03/17   Cl 30, P 5,8. 2021/03/20 Cl 28. 2021/03/23 M 2,7. 2021/03/25 M 2,6, Cl 26, P 5,7. 2021/03/28 Cl 25. 2021/04/1 P 5,6. 2021/04/07 Cl 24,P 5,5. 2021/04/08 Cl 23,5. 2021/04/13 P5,4

2021/03/26  Lor 3x0,9, 1x0,45 night, Lorm 0,45night 2021/04/13 CL 23, M 2,5. 2021/04/16 Cl 22,5, P 5,3. 2021/04/18 M 2,4. 2021/04/24 Cl 22. 2021/04/29 M2,3, P5,28. 2021/05/8 Cl 21,5.

2021/05/9   M 2,2, P 5,22. 2021/05/12 Cl back to 22, 2021/05/20 Lor 3x0,8, night 1x0,40 Lorm 1x0,40 2021/05/27 Cl 20(holding)2021/05/28 P5,15 (holding)2021/05/31 Cl 22 (holding)

2021/06/7   Lor 3x0,75 1x0,38 night, Lorm 0,38night 2021/11/7 P5

• Administrator

@Fightinghard

Glad to see you've stopped by and I'm able to help in any small way to give you inspiration and hope. I know how hard this journey truly is and how much it helps to have someone who has been there before and knows what we are going through!! Congrats on making it to 9 months!! I know how hard that can be, and it sounds like you are doing amazing my friend!! Keep it up!! Remember the secret to all of this is to just take it one day at a time and give it as much time as it takes!!! The waves and windows can truly be frustrating, but I can tell you for sure that one day it will come to an end. I'm almost at 20 months now myself (at least I think so, I've pretty much stopped counting :) ) and I can tell you I very rarely have waves any more.  At this point in my journey they are more like ripples that only last a couple of hours at most!! It truly has been a long and tiring journey, but one that I'm glad that I never gave up on!! You def have to just keep going and going until you get to the finish line! I truly was fortunate to meet a survivor extremely early in my journey who was able to help me through the hard times and reassure me that all was going to be ok. And she was right, everything did turn out ok for sure!! I'm back to enjoying life again and my days have pretty much gone back to normal now except I'm not having to depend on a pill for my happiness!! I do have a couple of very very very minor symptoms still, but they only bother me occasionally now and I pretty much just ignore them :)

I do have 4 kids actually. 3 teenage sons and a younger daughter. They truly were my lifeline through this process. There was a period of time in this journey where I was afraid to be alone because I was scared I was gonna make a permanent solution to a temporary problem. So I made sure I was around people constantly because I knew that I would never do anything stupid if I were around them. My boys would come and sit by my side during the very worst of times and just be there for me. Just knowing that they were by my side helped me through the truly dark dark days. My wife was amazing don't get me wrong, but she was having to carry on quite a few responsibilities while I sat back and healed. So having my children there to help me through this was amazing!! I did truly spend almost every waking moment with my family because I wanted to make the most of what time I had. This whole journey really made me reflect on just how fragile and special life truly is and that it could end at any moment. I wanted to make sure my children remembered their father with happy and fond memories. This whole process truly was a blessing because it helped me to reconnect and re-bond with my family and be the father and husband they needed me to be. When I was taking the St Johns, I truly did stop caring about pretty much everything. So stopping it has truly been a blessing in disguise!

I was fortunate to be able to keep working the entire time. I was honest and upfront with my boss when I first started withdrawal and told him that I was going to be going through this for a while and asked him to please work with me. I was able to transfer into a position that had less responsibility and allowed me to be able to work with the cog fog and memory issues that I experienced for about 6 months. Once my mind started working correctly again I was able to transfer back to my original position and I'm happy to say that I'm thriving at work once again. Also with Covid, we worked from home for about 7 months so that truly did help me with the anxiety and depression and having to be away from home. 

You will find a balance that works for you my friend. Just be honest with your co-workers and loved ones and let them know the journey that you are going through. Let them know that this is something that you have to do for yourself, but that one day you will be back and better than ever before!! I know how hard this whole process is, but I can assure you that one day you will feel good again. This is not a permanent state of being!! I also thought that I was gonna be the one who never healed, that I was permanently broken, but I'm happy to tell you that yes, I have almost healed as well :) I feel 99% back to my old self again and I know that with a bit more time I will be 100% again!! We all will!!! Till then, just keep on going!! Never ever give up or give in and trust and believe that you will heal as well!!

Ken

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

• Administrator

@Fallensoul

Hey there,

I actually didn't take them at the same time. I was taking the Tramadol for about a year or so, and had to quit taking them. I had only taken a week off from work to deal with the withdrawals that I knew was coming. After about 4 days I was hurting really really badly and was desperate for something to help me with the withdrawals. I Googled and found out that St. Johns had very similar properties to an anti-depressant so out of desperation I started taking them. And they did help, don't get me wrong, but all I honestly did was substitute one pill for another. And (IMHO) you can't solve a pill problem by taking another pill. Looking back on everything I went through I truly do wish I had just gone through the withdrawals from Tramadol and never touched St Johns, but hey lessons learned right :) Life always happens for a reason so we just gotta make the very most of it :) 

I'm not a doctor by any means shape or form, but in my humble opinion I would avoid St Johns if at all possible. 

Ken

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

@KenA Thanks so much Ken!  Wherever i get down or question’ will i recover’ i read your thread.  While I’m not native to think i will follow your exact path, Im really hopefully I’ll be better in 18-24 months with improvements each month.  Who knows though right?  I guess whatever it takes.   I have 2 teenage boys and a young daughter.  Like you, they keep me focused during the hard times.  My wife has been a saint through this.  We all actually just went to Top Golf for 2 hours.  I sucked it up and went.  It was busy and loud but i survived.  I actually enjoyed it as much as i can in this state. I’m hoping i don’t enter a wave but i just don’t want to miss too much with my kids. We’ll see how it plays out. My work requires a lot of driving or working from home.  It’s been ok so far.  I’m blessed.  

I’ll keep my head up and face each wave knowing it’s one less wave i have to face.  I’ll get to the finish line when i get there.  Thanks so much for the inspiration and great approach to this. You know when i read my thread i tend to be more positive than I’m typically feeling.  Maybe I’m trying to convince my self I’m ok and everything is not so bad. It will happen some day. 

congratulations on the healing!  Enjoy those precious children!  

2003-2006-  Zoloft then Wellbutrin, Ritalin, concerta , Adderall.  Don’t remember dosage, tapers or timeframes. ADD treatment. I think I had some WD?  Definitely PSSD which resolved over time. 

• Administrator

@Fightinghard

If you ever need someone to chat with or need inspiration you can message me anytime. I try to respond usually within a day or so but if you need any help or anything don't hesitate!  

You are right, this journey truly is unique for each and every one of us, but the best part is that we all heal :)  The end result is the same for all of us! Not sure how long your journey is going to take my friend, but honestly you can give it as much time as it takes :) You have survived 100% of the bad days so far and the ones ahead will be no different :) Sounds like you are starting to find acceptance and that truly is an amazing thing. I know for me once I was able to find acceptance it made a world of difference for me. My days were still sucky don't get me wrong, but I was better able to handle them and my reaction to them and I stopped letting them have the power over me!! Here's hoping your healing will come sooner rather than later for sure!! Keep your chin up my friend!! We have an amazing future ahead of us for sure!!

We truly are blessed to have our families by our sides during this journey. I have read many sad stories where people have lost their families while going through this and I can't even begin to imagine the heartache they are having to go through! Enjoy each and every minute with your family for sure. Don't worry about things that might kick you into a wave :) I would intentionally go and do things with them because I started to realize how precious each moment we get with them truly is. I even went with them to the Monster Truck show when it came into town :) Boy that one sure did set off a wave, but it was sooooooo worth it to see the smiles on my boys faces when the trucks came out roaring :) And you know what? That wave passed!! Just like they all do :) Each and every wave you experience will end at some point!! They always always do :) Glad to hear that your work is going ok, I know for some people that can truly be a difficult thing for sure. We are blessed in that aspect as well :)

Def keep your head up my friend!! Just remind yourself that this is all temporary and one day you will be able to thrive again!! Stronger and more resilient than ever before!! You will def cross that finish line when it is your time for sure!! You will be a winner and win the race!! No matter how long it takes :) Always keep that positivity about you even on the hard days!! I would force myself to smile during the worst of it and would tell myself over and over again "This too shall pass" and "I'm ok!!!" Staying positive is hard, but I truly do believe that it helps :) 

Congrats on the healing for you as well!! Almost to the 1 year mark!! That is huge my friend!! Keep on going and going and going!! Take care of your family as well! Stay strong!! You've got this and you know it!!

Ken

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

@KenA Thank you so much for support!  I appreciate it.   I’m sure i may reach out along the way.  

I’m also post off a Facebook group for anxiety and the guy that runs it why though Paxil WD 15 years ago. He taught me 2 very important lessons that stick with me daily.  First is ’ we can do hard things’.  Basically no matter how you feel, who cares?  You can still push through.  Now that doesn’t mean climb Mount Everest when you’re tired but don’t let your feelings stop you from doing things.   The second was there is a difference between pain and suffering. We don’t have to suffer when we’re in pain. These stick with me daily.   They have helped me work towards acceptance. I agree it’s crucial in recovery. I’m getting there most days. 

last thing that I’m sure you can appreciate;  my mind has become so much stronger in the past 2-3 months. Early on i was so frantic and just racing constantly. Now most of the day I’m able to separate my conscious mind from my feeling or symptoms.  I believe this is allowing me to heal.  It’s also opened my mind to what’s important in life and that’s my family and of course God.  This isn’t just healing my withdrawal;  it’s healing my soul.  

thank you my friend.  

• Administrator

@Fightinghard

That truly is great advice for sure!!! I have learned through this process that feelings truly are just feelings!! You have to learn how to accept them and let them be a part of you without controlling or taking you over!! In the end we all heal and that's what matters the most!! 

This truly was a healing process for my soul as well my friend! There are many many days I got down on my knees and prayed for God to help me through it! And you know what, he did! 

All the best,

Ken

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, KenA said:

I have learned through this process that feelings truly are just feelings!!

This is what I read in a book about suicide which is very similar and has helped me a lot:

It's just a feeling and feelings change.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On 4/1/2021 at 1:09 PM, ChessieCat said:

This is what I read in a book about suicide which is very similar and has helped me a lot:

It's just a feeling and feelings change.

@KenA @ChessieCat Thanks for the support the last few months Ken. I wanted to praise you here publicly for being such a bloody good bloke. This seems to be the natural progression that I’m following. The desperation that these thoughts once brought is not as impactful. I can see from my last post on my thread it comes across so desperate, and it was at the time in my mind. But as time goes on I seem to not take the thoughts and feelings so seriously? I hope it continues to be the way. 

The words and thoughts themselves aren’t as powerful in a way I suppose. Don’t get me wrong, I hate the thoughts of ending my

life but the reaction to it is dampened. Its like my brain is getting a little bored with it..... hopefully. Now if only my ears would follow suit and chill out my triggers would be much more under control. Hope your all well. 

2009 - Paxil 20mg for GAD, OCD

2010 - straight swap to lexapro 10-20mg

2017 - straight swap to Prozac 20mg adverse reaction - developed tinnitus, insomnia, OCD, GAD symptoms, 

Reinstated lexapro 10mg symptoms improve. Slight tinnitus remains.  
Jan 2019 - Attempted “slower” taper for 3 months,  med free for 11 weeks and felt ok.

June 2019 - WD symptoms struck. 

Reinstated Lexapro 10mg Immediate adverse reaction 
July 2019-July 2020 multiple meds from psychiatrist inc:

Diazepam 5mg for 12 weeks, lexapro up to 40mg for 12 weeks (tinnitus worsens, seizure type symptoms, intrusive thoughts etc) Effexor up to 150mg for 7-8 weeks, Zoloft up to 100mg for 12 weeks, Remeron 6 weeks, Paxil to 20mg for 12 weeks 

Quick taper CT Paxil in 4 weeks and drug free since July 19, 2020. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ken- i hope you are still healing and in a great place!  I hope you don’t mind I have a question for you.I’m cycling through symptoms currently.   Overall they haven’t been as intense as a few months ago but they are still  very uncomfortable. What’s good is I noticed i can handle more stress.  For example a disagreement with my wife a few months  ago would have meant all kinds of stress.  Extreme stress.  Now it’s fairly normal reaction.  It seems if i stay busy, i can’t focus on my symptoms and i do better. But I’m concerned if i overdo it I’ll set myself backwards.  Did you push yourself throughout your WD?  I still am very sensitive to sound and noises at times.  I get like a surge of fear if the noise is too much for me.   They also happens if i think about things that may be stressful to me like going somewhere for work or that is crowded.  I was never afraid of going somewhere before meds a year ago but more i get this weird surge.  Is weird because consciously I’m not scared but I’m having a reaction at times.   I think i have to challenge these feelings and fear but I’m not sure.  Could just be wD and it will go away.  Sorry for the long question but I’m always wondering when to push and when to hold back.  Just curious what your approach was.  

• Administrator

@Fightinghard

I am doing very very well my friend!! Thank you for asking :) Things have only been getting better and better. Went through a bit of a healing cycle last week, but it was very very mild and I am feeling even better than before now that I've gotten a bit closer to the 100% I'm waiting on :)

As for your question I'll be honest with you, it really was a day to day thing for me. I truly did push myself as much as I possibly could simply because I refused to give up on life and I wasn't gonna let this stop me from living. I did overdo it at times and had to make it through the wave that would follow, but I'm a stubborn old SOB, so I refused to let this beat me. It took me the longest time to learn acceptance of this process, because I refused to believe that this was gonna be me. I would tell myself over and over and over that this was all a temporary process and I was gonna be my old self again one day minus the pills. So yeah, I really did push myself as much as I could handle. Now there were times when my body and mind would not do what I wanted and I had to slow down, but as soon as I got to feeling better again, I went back to pushing myself. 

It truly was a day to day process for me. Some days I would feel pretty good and other days I would feel terrible. But no matter how I felt, I kept living my life the very best that I could and kept on pushing!! I'm almost to the finish line now I feel and I have very very few symptoms left. Just a smidge of Tinnitus still, but even the DP/DR that was my last symptom has pretty much faded away. I will still have mood swings every once in a while, but they are just normal ones. Not withdrawal induced, but just good old normal human emotions. It's strange again to feel emotions after having numbed them away for almost a decade, but I love having them. I find myself sometimes like a toddler learning how to handle my emotions, but I wouldn't trade it for the world!! It's the greatest feeling there is!!

Just remember that everything you are going through is temporary and one day you will be healed!! We all will my friend!! And the feelings of fear that you get are just feelings. They only have the power over you that you allow them to have! Just remember that the feelings of fear will pass!! They always do!! As you get further and further along in the healing process, things will calm down and the extremes will no longer be so extreme. It will all balance itself out. At least that's how it worked for me!! Till then, do the best you can every day and don't worry about what you can't do!! Enjoy each moment you have and make the most of it!! You know your body better than anyone else so you have to do what works for you my friend!!

Hang in there!! You are doing awesome!

Ken

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

• Administrator
On 4/4/2021 at 1:56 AM, woody1981 said:

@KenA @ChessieCat Thanks for the support the last few months Ken. I wanted to praise you here publicly for being such a bloody good bloke. This seems to be the natural progression that I’m following. The desperation that these thoughts once brought is not as impactful. I can see from my last post on my thread it comes across so desperate, and it was at the time in my mind. But as time goes on I seem to not take the thoughts and feelings so seriously? I hope it continues to be the way. 

The words and thoughts themselves aren’t as powerful in a way I suppose. Don’t get me wrong, I hate the thoughts of ending my

life but the reaction to it is dampened. Its like my brain is getting a little bored with it..... hopefully. Now if only my ears would follow suit and chill out my triggers would be much more under control. Hope your all well. 

You are most welcome my friend!! Glad that I can help in any small way! You are doing awesome good sir!! Keep on going and going!!

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

It’s so great to hear you’re doing so well!  I appreciate the feedback.  It must be so nice to get back to feeling yourself again!   I’ve decided to push myself even more but be smart about it.  I can’t let this hold me back!  

I’m actually doing really well the past few days.  3 nights in a row of windows and today the majority of the day has been a window!    Last Friday I had a tooth extracted which required 1 dose of antibiotics plus some pain meds.  That seemed to push my backwards into a wave but it wasn’t horrible.   Leading up to last Friday i had been doing better and better.  So i think I’m making progress! It’s like the symptoms i have are there but much less intense overall.  They are fading gradually each week now.   That makes them more manageable.  Some are gone altogether (for now?). So I’m making progress!   Realistically I’m far from 100% but I’m much better than a few months so. Maybe 50% of my old self?  Sometimes more?  I’m praying the progress continues but like you said i know it’s day by day.  I’ll continue to accept things and make the best of each day!   Closing in on 10 months off.   It seems like I’ve seen many people start to turn the corner around 12 months.  I’m hoping.  What’s weird in this window is i forget I’m in WD sometimes and then a symptom reminds me.  Is nice to not be focused on WD!  

i really appreciate your thoughts on this. Continued healing and happiness for you my friend!   I’m looking forward to your success story!   

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Fightinghard said:

It’s so great to hear you’re doing so well!  I appreciate the feedback.  It must be so nice to get back to feeling yourself again!   I’ve decided to push myself even more but be smart about it.  I can’t let this hold me back!  

I’m actually doing really well the past few days.  3 nights in a row of windows and today the majority of the day has been a window!    Last Friday I had a tooth extracted which required 1 dose of antibiotics plus some pain meds.  That seemed to push my backwards into a wave but it wasn’t horrible.   Leading up to last Friday i had been doing better and better.  So i think I’m making progress! It’s like the symptoms i have are there but much less intense overall.  They are fading gradually each week now.   That makes them more manageable.  Some are gone altogether (for now?). So I’m making progress!   Realistically I’m far from 100% but I’m much better than a few months so. Maybe 50% of my old self?  Sometimes more?  I’m praying the progress continues but like you said i know it’s day by day.  I’ll continue to accept things and make the best of each day!   Closing in on 10 months off.   It seems like I’ve seen many people start to turn the corner around 12 months.  I’m hoping.  What’s weird in this window is i forget I’m in WD sometimes and then a symptom reminds me.  Is nice to not be focused on WD!  

i really appreciate your thoughts on this. Continued healing and happiness for you my friend!   I’m looking forward to your success story!   

That's it my friend!!! The windows you are having is your future!!! Always remember that!! When you feel good that is the norm!! Progress truly is slow and it seems to come in go but always moving forward and getting a bit better each and every time!! The symptoms truly will get less and less intense and will get better!! I remember the 1st time I was able to go for a walk and actually was able to think about something other than WD. I was thinking about SpaceX rockets for a good 20 minutes or so and then realized that I hadn't been thinking about WD! Almost cried tears of happiness because that's the day I realized the old me was still inside of there and just waiting to heal. My brain could be normal again and if it happened once, then it would happen more and more!!

The windows truly are a blessing and remind us that we are going to heal!! Enjoy them when they come and don't get disappointed too much when a wave comes back cause it just means more good healing!! You have to have the waves to heal!! I got to the point where I would welcome the waves because I KNEW that my brain was going through another cycle of healing!! I would get excited knowing that another symptom was going to get fixed and I would feel even better when the wave passed :) Stay as positive as you can cause it truly does help!! 10 months is huge my friend!! 10 months behind you that you never have to go through again!! 

Ken

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, Fightinghard said:

Also, if you have a symptom that seems to be gone and it does come back, don't get discouraged!! Sometimes our brains have to undo the fixes they've made in order to fix something else!! I always used to think about it this way. My brain would fix the easier stuff first, but sometimes the hard stuff was burried beneath where the easy stuff was located. So to get to the hard stuff, it would have to re-dig through the easy stuff to get at the hard stuff! Once that was fixed, then it could redo the easy stuff again!! At least that is the way I visualized it :)

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

Thanks for the advice!  I’ll be ready for the next wave.  I’ll stay positive and move forward.  In the meantime, I’ll enjoy this relief from feeling bad. 

Thanks again!

Craig

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Hey Everyone,

Just a quick update!! Things are continuing to only get better and better. DP/DR has gone now and only a tiny bit of Tinnitus still hanging around, but I just ignore it now days. When I do notice it I just refocus my thoughts and attention on other things and I seem to forget about it pretty easily now! That's basically about it at this point. I feel like I'm back to normal at this point and back to my old self minus the pills :) It truly has been a very long journey, but was worth every step taken. Will probably be writing a success story here in the next month or two once the tinnitus is gone or to the point where it is no longer an issue at all :)  Keep hanging in there everyone!! Healing does happen!! I'm proof of it!! Never ever give up!! Your day is coming as well!!

Ken

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

Great to hear!  It’s so nice to see success stories!  I wish you continued peace and joy with your family!

I’m in a tough wave right now.  I’ve had a few windows the last few weeks. Last Sunday was a great one.  I felt almost normal for most of the day.  Today  though,  I’m full of that inner restless feeling and some fear.  But it will pass. I’m healing each day.  I think you’re right about how your brain heals things and had to dig down to get to them. This is one of my early symptoms and I’m hoping it’sa good healing waves!  My other symptoms are actually pretty low.  We’ll see. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just read your thread and want to thank you for being so positive and uplifting, I can feel the good energy in your words. I find that having a positive attitude heals all aspects of our being. I wish you continued health and healing!!

Completely drug free 11/26/22 🎉

Supplements: Magnesium citrate: 250 mg; Fish oil: 1200 mg

“When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.” - Victor Frankl

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 4/30/2021 at 4:57 PM, Fightinghard said:

Great to hear!  It’s so nice to see success stories!  I wish you continued peace and joy with your family!

I’m in a tough wave right now.  I’ve had a few windows the last few weeks. Last Sunday was a great one.  I felt almost normal for most of the day.  Today  though,  I’m full of that inner restless feeling and some fear.  But it will pass. I’m healing each day.  I think you’re right about how your brain heals things and had to dig down to get to them. This is one of my early symptoms and I’m hoping it’s a good healing waves!  My other symptoms are actually pretty low.  We’ll see. 

@Fightinghard Thank you so much my friend! Things are only continuing to improve! Every day it seems I'm able to get closer and closer to putting this all behind me and moving on with life!! Was even able to go to the state fair last weekend with my family and rode the rides with my children!! It didn't set off any anxiety or any symptoms at all!! It was so fun being able to laugh and enjoy life with them!!!

Sorry to hear that you were going through a wave my friend!! Hopefully you have come out of it and are able to enjoy a nice window now!!! Keep on pushing through my friend!! It's going to get better! Like you said, each day you are healing and your brain and CNS is fixing those neurons and nerve endings!!! Always moving closer and closer to complete healing!! Never lose sight of the prize!! Just remind yourself that the symptoms you are having is just a sign that you are healing!! Have to have the symptoms to get healed!! Change a negative to a positive and you will be set my friend!! Even when I was having my worst days, I would tell myself that I was getting some super strong healing done that day!! I just imagined to myself how many neurons must have gotten fixed that day for me to go through the strongest of symptoms!!  But the best part is that they always passed!!! And they always will!!!

Stay strong!

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

• Administrator
On 5/12/2021 at 9:55 AM, Mia1 said:

I just read your thread and want to thank you for being so positive and uplifting, I can feel the good energy in your words. I find that having a positive attitude heals all aspects of our being. I wish you continued health and healing!!

@Mia1 You are most welcome!!! Positivity is the way to get through this for sure!! I had a very dear friend of mine that helped me through the very worst days and always kept me positive!! She always encouraged me to keep going and going and to stay as positive as possible!! You truly do have to! If you let this get you down, it will suck you down deep and might not let you go, so you have to stay as positive as you possibly can!! :) Wishing the very best for you as well with much healing and wellness!! You are doing awesome!! We are warriors and nothing can stop us :)

Ken

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

Hey Ken!  I’m so happy for you!  It’s so nice to see success!  I think the thing that really make me smile is your trip to the state fair with your children.  That had to be such a great feeling.  

Your positive approach is so uplifting and appreciated!  Since i posted my comment I’ve had several days of windows.  Minor symptoms and some good feelings.  Far from normal but very nice feeling.  One night i stood at my door watching my 10 year old daughter playing with her friends. I walked away with the biggest smile and feeling of being normal for that short period of time.  I’m having those moments more frequently. I’m currently in a wave period the past few days but i know a windows is coming!  I was sleeping a little better where i had a few days in a row of 6+ hours straight of sleep!  Typically I’m awake 4-5 hours and sometimes fall back to sleep.  For the most part I’ve been feeling like I’m getting better even though my symptoms may be strong. It’s weird. I’m not better but i feel like I’m getting better. I think my mind is just stronger. I use your  advice regularly and i work on acceptance daily.  I’ve been really working hard on staying away from negative stories and i spend alot of time saying positive affirmations. I’m healing everyday and my body wants to return to homeostasis.  Those windows tell me that!  

Continue to enjoy those kids and life!  I appreciate your support and encouragement. 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

@KenA, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi @KenA,

Did your cognitive issues heal completely?

Citalopram augustus 2020 - 20 mg untill 14 february 2021 quit cold turkey. No alcohol use or other medicine. No surgery.  Only adviced supplements and little bit of vitamine D because of defficieny. 

• Administrator
20 hours ago, Altostrata said:

@KenA, how are you doing?

@Altostrata Thanks for checking in!! I am doing absolutely amazing! With the exception of just a bit of hissing in the ears still, every thing seems to be back to normal now :) Haven't had any symptoms really in almost a month. I might have a bit of feeling down or anxious here or there, but it generally lasts for only minutes at a time and then fades away. Probably just normal human emotions like the rest of everybody :) I do believe I have made it through the long hard journey and have reached the end of the tunnel. I'm back to enjoying life now and making the most of every day that comes my way!! This journey (experience) has truly taught me to love life and to make the most of every chance we get! I always kept the faith that one day I would be healed because I truly believe that everyone heals and it seems my time has come :)

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

• Administrator
15 hours ago, Fromthenetherlands said:

Hi @KenA,

Did your cognitive issues heal completely?

@Fromthenetherlands They sure did. My brain is back to working again like it did before this whole journey. My memory is back and working great and the cog fog has gone and not come back at all. In some ways, I feel like my brain works better than it did, because I was always dulling things with a pill. Now it is working like it was always supposed to do. Every symptom I had has gone away now except for a slight bit of hissing in the ears still, but I know it will fade with time as well. That truly was the secret to this whole thing!! Time time and more time! I just had to wait it out and let my brain and CNS heal itself. There was no magic cure, or supplement or anything like that. Just time time time! :)

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol