jr1985: Effexor / venlafaxine taper

jr1985

• Administrator

It sounds like you had a bad wave. These come and go.

How are you feeling now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I do feel better today, nerves are less electrified, etc.

Is it normal to have bad waves, even during a slow taper? I'm going to start dropping 2.5% from now on, because, even if it was short lived, it seemed quite "serious" - I was googling "how to kill yourself" and considering putting a plastic bag over my head. Luckily I was able to get support from my parents, which helped it fizzle out.

I'm afraid I'm going to be one of those people who can never quit Effexor. :(

I really think the stress I've been under has contributed to this episode. Something is definitely going to have to give. I'm going to cut back on overtime at work. Even though I may only be there for a short 4 hour shift, just the very fact that I have to be somewhere at a certain time is enough to put me under pressure.

I'm beginning to get really angry at the drug companies for doing this to us. I would never have taken Effexor had I known it was this difficult to quit. You can't even really talk to anyone about it cos they think your a conspiracy theorist nut. Of course, Id probably think the same thing if I hadnt experienced it for myself. "drug companies would never do such a thing, they're here to make us better and are tightly regulated", etc.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

• Administrator

If you get a bad withdrawal symptom while tapering, it's a sign your decreases are too large or you're going too fast.

You may wish to pause in your tapering and let your nervous system settle down.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me, Alto.

I will definitely hold for longer, until I feel better.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Feeling not so good again today.

I'm thinking about giving up my degree, or at least deferring again, until my brain is back to normal.

I had such a hard time at university before (anxiety) when I wasn't dealing with Effexor w/d, so now it seems nearly impossible. Maybe it'll be easier to manage when this wave is over, but I can see myself getting more and more stressed out if I keep having to stop studying, due to w/d symptoms, and get further and further behind.

I do feel better today, nerves are less electrified, etc.

Is it normal to have bad waves, even during a slow taper? I'm going to start dropping 2.5% from now on, because, even if it was short lived, it seemed quite "serious" - I was googling "how to kill yourself" and considering putting a plastic bag over my head. Luckily I was able to get support from my parents, which helped it fizzle out.

I'm afraid I'm going to be one of those people who can never quit Effexor. :(

I really think the stress I've been under has contributed to this episode. Something is definitely going to have to give. I'm going to cut back on overtime at work. Even though I may only be there for a short 4 hour shift, just the very fact that I have to be somewhere at a certain time is enough to put me under pressure.

I'm beginning to get really angry at the drug companies for doing this to us. I would never have taken Effexor had I known it was this difficult to quit. You can't even really talk to anyone about it cos they think your a conspiracy theorist nut. Of course, Id probably think the same thing if I hadnt experienced it for myself. "drug companies would never do such a thing, they're here to make us better and are tightly regulated", etc.

How did you feel when you reinstated back to 37.5 mg of Effexor? Did you stabilize (feel well, functional)?

May I ask why you decided to taper off of Effexor? Were you functional while on Effexor?

I am glad that you sought help and support from your parents.

You said you are afraid you are going to be "one of those people who can never get off of Effexor". Quality of life, preservation of life is what is most pressing at this time.

There are other ways of tapering off of Effexor such as bridging with another medication. Alto and others can help you address this.

Psych drug withdrawal should be done in a method/manner where symptoms remain manageable. The goal is to remain functional. Suffering through each cut in order to get off the drug may mean utter misery and debilitation.

If you were functional and stable on a certain dose of Effexor, then this is the really good news because this means that you can live functionally until such time as other solutions to tapering off of Effexor are explored.

I always thought the goal was "getting off the drugs". I would start a taper, rush a taper, slow down a taper, give up, and do it all over again. Let's work on seeing if we can get you to a functional, stabilized position and then work on strategy. :) Many Hugs, Annej

My Intro
2000-Effexor and Klonopin
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
May 2011- Pristiq/Lexapro bridge/taper
June, 2011- K cut to 0.5 mg (doctor)
July 18, 2011 - Lexapro done
October 2011- K taper started
Jan, 2012- Off K, Remeron started -bad idea
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
May 2012- Reinstatement of K
Current Psych Meds: Klonopin 2 mg + Propanolol 15 mg and titrating up
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

I decided I wanted off Effexor because of the side effects - poor memory and motivation, dull emotions, etc.

I was/am generally ok while on it, so I suppose there's no rush, but I do want off it eventually. I was diagnosed with ADD and I read that these drugs can make ADD symptoms worse, which is another reason I want off them.

I should say that I'm actually feeling much better today. I'm slowly learning this is is going to take time, and isn't necessarily going to fit my calendar schedule.

• Administrator

What a relief, jr.

You may need to make smaller cuts, and hold longer between cuts.

The bridging technique is described here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1463-the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-prozac

I decided I wanted off Effexor because of the side effects - poor memory and motivation, dull emotions, etc.

I was/am generally ok while on it, so I suppose there's no rush, but I do want off it eventually. I was diagnosed with ADD and I read that these drugs can make ADD symptoms worse, which is another reason I want off them.

I should say that I'm actually feeling much better today. I'm slowly learning this is is going to take time, and isn't necessarily going to fit my calendar schedule.

Hi jr1985,

I am so pleased to hear that you are feeling much better today. I agree that since you are "generally OK" while on Effexor that there is no rush.

How do you feel about being diagnosed with ADD? How do you feel about taking meds in the treatment of ADD? :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

What a relief, jr.

You may need to make smaller cuts, and hold longer between cuts.

The bridging technique is described here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1463-the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-prozac

I'm thinking I should hold until the jaw tremor/tingly nerves go away, assuming they eventually will.

For now, I think I should stick with the Effexor, as I have no idea how the Prozac will affect me, better the devil you know and all that.

Hi jr1985,

I am so pleased to hear that you are feeling much better today. I agree that since you are "generally OK" while on Effexor that there is no rush.

How do you feel about being diagnosed with ADD? How do you feel about taking meds in the treatment of ADD? :) Hugs, Annej

I was diagnosed with ADD in March 2011, and at the time I felt like it made a lot of sense. It has occurred to me, however, that the AD's can exacerbate, or maybe even cause, ADD symptoms. However, I do believe I've had them since childhood, although maybe not to the same extent.

As for the meds, Ritalin worked amazingly well for me - I had energy, motivation, I was procrastinating less, able to get things done without having to be told over and over, my concentration improved, my mind felt clear, I felt calm and relaxed, etc. This all went to hell when I destabilized my nervous system by tapering Effexor too quickly. Since then, it just makes me feel terrible (depressed, unmotivated, etc), so I've stopped taking it for now. I didn't notice many w/d symptoms, other than feeling tired and more foggy for a few days.

Since my bad experience with Effexor, I have wondered if psch drugs in general are a bad idea, especially since we have very little understanding of how they affect the brain. I certainly know that Ritalin has the potential for addiction, whether quitting after years of use is as horrific as quitting benzo's/AD's I don't know. What's the general consensus on stimulants around here?

I thought I'd give a more detailed account of what actually happened to me.

Around September/October 2011, I fast tapered off Effexor and onto Mirtazepine for a month. I experienced acute w/d symptoms, such as brain zaps, nausea, diarrhoea and night terrors. Most frighteningly, I was also experiencing moments of rage and started driving like a maniac (if I was driving at the time). It culminated in me storming out of the house in a rage and walking in a complete daze, with the intent to either jump of a bridge or go to a shop and buy paracetamol to overdose on. Luckily, my parents were able to come get me and help calm me down. I quit Mirtazapine and went back onto Effexor. At the time I assumed the rage/suicidal thoughts were caused by the mirtazepine, I had no idea Effexor w/d could last longer than a couple of weeks...

After reinstating, the rage/suicidal thoughts went away, but I started waking up feeling anxious every morning. I thought it might have been the Ritalin, so I stopped taking it for a few days but it didn't improve. I realised it must have been the Effexor, so I decided to taper myself off over a month, thinking I was being cautious (Dr told me to quit C/T). After I dropped from 75mg to 37.5mg, I felt a lot better anxiety-wise, so I kept going...

After quitting completely, I had brain zaps, nausea, diarrhoea, etc for a week or so, followed by flu-like symptoms for another week. After this I actually felt amazing until 5 weeks later when everything went to hell. I started waking up feeling anxious for a few days, then one night I couldn't sleep and started feeling really anxious, and I was crying and shivering even though I wasn't cold. I saw my GP the next morning and he put me on Citalopram. After my first dose I started feeling extremely restless, like I couldn't keep still and had to keep pacing up and down and moving my arms up and down to get relief. My anxiety shot through the roof, I had no appetite and diarrhoea, so I decided to call my Dr's emergency line, which was the first time ever. I tried explaining to the GP that I was in desperate need of help, but he basically yelled at me down the phone, saying I'd already been there earlier today and that I can't keep calling "every 2 hours"... even though I'd been there 6 hours ago and never called their emergency line before, oh and I felt much worse since then. He said there was nothing he could give me and basically to go see a counsellor.

After a week of this I couldn't take no more and went to the ER. I waited for 5 hours to see the useless psychiatrist, who told me there was nothing she could give me because she didn't have my notes for my med history or something like that. I went home and decided, since no one else was going to fix me, I might as well do it myself. By this point I realised I was in Effexor w/d, so I decided the best thing to do was to quit the citalopram and get on a low dose Effexor - 9mg, which was enough to cause me significant stimulation. After a few days on this dose I bumped it up to 37.5mg, which made me feel much better (except for jaw tremor/burning nerves) after 2 weeks. I bumped it up to 75mg, which was my original dose, but I felt worse after 2 weeks on this dose, so I came back down to 37.5mg.

Since then, I've still got this jaw tremor and burning/tingling nerves, which seems to wax and wane, and dosen't seem as bad as it was in the beginning, but still enough to be slightly annoying.

Hi jr1985,

I was diagnosed with ADD in March 2011, and at the time I felt like it made a lot of sense. It has occurred to me, however, that the AD's can exacerbate, or maybe even cause, ADD symptoms. However, I do believe I've had them since childhood, although maybe not to the same extent.

As for the meds, Ritalin worked amazingly well for me - I had energy, motivation, I was procrastinating less, able to get things done without having to be told over and over, my concentration improved, my mind felt clear, I felt calm and relaxed, etc. This all went to hell when I destabilized my nervous system by tapering Effexor too quickly. Since then, it just makes me feel terrible (depressed, unmotivated, etc), so I've stopped taking it for now. I didn't notice many w/d symptoms, other than feeling tired and more foggy for a few days.

Since my bad experience with Effexor, I have wondered if psch drugs in general are a bad idea, especially since we have very little understanding of how they affect the brain. I certainly know that Ritalin has the potential for addiction, whether quitting after years of use is as horrific as quitting benzo's/AD's I don't know. What's the general consensus on stimulants around here?

My experience with stims is that at first they "worked" great (if hypomania can be considered "great" - hey it felt good at the time, but I am still paying the price for some of my drug-induced behaviors), but when tolerance built, I felt horribly fatigued and depressed. Getting off of Adderral was not bad, felt like crap for a week. I have no idea whether my long term use of stims combined with other psych meds caused my neurological disorder. I don't think they helped in this regard. I don't know what the long term effects of stims are.

My Intro

Hi jr1985,

My experience with stims is that at first they "worked" great (if hypomania can be considered "great" - hey it felt good at the time, but I am still paying the price for some of my drug-induced behaviors), but when tolerance built, I felt horribly fatigued and depressed. Getting off of Adderral was not bad, felt like crap for a week. I have no idea whether my long term use of stims combined with other psych meds caused my neurological disorder. I don't think they helped in this regard. I don't know what the long term effects of stims are.

I was only on a tiny dose (3x5mg per day), which is probably why it was easy to quit. Higher doses made me angry and suicidal.

I've read dopamine is implicated in both akathisia and TD. Since stims work by raising dopamine, it makes sense that they could be involved.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread :)

Hi jr1985,

I was only on a tiny dose (3x5mg per day), which is probably why it was easy to quit. Higher doses made me angry and suicidal.

I've read dopamine is implicated in both akathisia and TD. Since stims work by raising dopamine, it makes sense that they could be involved.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread :)

You are welcome! Keep posting and let us know how you are doing! :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro

• Administrator

Psychiatric stimulants are methamphetamine analogs. They work very well for concentration on tedious tasks, such as studying. No wonder you saw improvement.

It sounds to me like you have been thoroughly overdiagnosed, jr.

I was diagnosed with social anxiety and depression to begin with. Then I was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, which involved obtaiing a childhood history from my parents. Finally I was also diagnosed with ADD.

I believe the SA, depression and AS were accurate. The SA came from having undiagnosed AS - I had trouble understanding and getting along with peers, especially during my teen years, and I was bullied for being different, which led to me being afraid of people. I also have the obsessional interests, like at the minute it seems to be ssri w/d.

Its common for people with AS to also have ADHD, or ADHD-like symptoms. I was hyper and impulsive as a child, but my mum was able to get this under control by eliminating artificial colourings.

Hmm, I've been looking into this Prozac bridge and wondering if it would be a good option for me? If I switched successfully, then maybe I could tolerate a 10% drop and get off this stuff faster and more smoothly than the Effexor.

I was able to seamlessly switch from Paxil to Lexapro, and from Lexapro to Effexor. But when I tried Celexa, after I went into Effexor w/d, I couldn't tolerate it as it made me even more restless. However, I'm assuming this is because my nervous system was a bit wacky at that point, so if I wait until I'm more stable on the Effexor then maybe it will be ok?

One concern is that Effexor is an SNRI and Prozac is an SSRI (with some noradrenergic and dopaminergic activity), but apparently Effexor only works as an SSRI at the doses I've been on, so it could be ok.

At another board I frequent they say most people have problems with the Prozac bridge, and you should stick with the drug you are on. Yet here you say it's a minority who have problems. Not sure who to believe.

• Administrator

It's unpredictable.

Doctors I've talked to say they use the Prozac bridge all the time and it works well.

But -- sometimes it doesn't work, and no one can predict who it will work for.

People on Web support boards are people who've had problems with tapering. If your doctor knows how to do the Prozac bridge and it works well for you, you won't be looking for advice in an online support group.

The way I look at it, it's better to stick with steady tapering rather than make a big change switching to Prozac. But if it becomes impossible to lower your Effexor dosage, the risks of the Prozac bridge may make more sense.

I think I have noticed two distinct phases of w/d (even after reinstatement).

The anxiety phase has nerve burning, teeth chattering, feeling energized and motivated but more anxious.

The depressive phase has less nerve/teeth chatter, but more fatigue and less motivated.

If I'm having these waves I assume I'm not really stable, so it's best to wait until I feel normal before attempting to taper again?

• Administrator

If those symptoms are lasting more than a few days after each decrease, you're tapering too fast. You may need to back up a little bit, stabilize, and taper with smaller decrements.

I was feeling better emotionally, so I decided to drop 2.5% yesterday.

I think I noticed a pattern emerging in my w/d symptoms - first there's more teeth chattering and nerve buring/tingling, followed by feeling absolutely fantastic (dopamine rebound?), followed by anxiety, followed by a more depressive/lethargic phase with less teeth chattering/nerve tingling. I'm also more fatigued during this phase.

Depending on how this drop goes, I think I might pause for a while to allow my body to stabilize more. I'm thinking the jaw tremor and feeling in my arms and legs is telling me I'm not stable, even though I feel ok emotionally. I'm worried if taper before being fully stable I could end up regretting it further down the line.

If 2.5% drops are still difficult, I've been thinking about trying the Prozac bridge. I've read you should take 10mg Prozac with the Effexor for a week, then drop the Effexor and stabilize on the Prozac. It should then be easier to taper from the Prozac. I know people say the Prozac won't cover Effexor w/d but that doesn't make sense to me - they both block serotonin reuptake, and at the dose I'm on Effexor should only be weakly blocking noradrenaline.

As for my studying, I've pretty much decided I'm going to give it up for now. It just feels like too much for me atm - working part-time, studying, volunteering and dealing with w/d. I'm not even enjoying it - it feels like a huge chore. I've also been considering a change of direction from biomedical science to psychology. I've always been interested in psychology but I felt biomed would lead to a better career. I wonder if the trouble I had at uni was partially because I wasn't really interested in it. I'm studying a biochemistry module atm, which I detest, and I hate learning about lab techniques - they're so boring! I actually applied for a psychology course, but decided against it as I knew I wouldn't get the grades for the university I wanted. But I am able to study it via the distance learning university I'm studying with atm, I would also be able to transfer some credits from my already completed course, so I wouldn't have to start at the beginning.I hoping this time off will allow me to consider what I really want to do.

Btw, has anyone heard of the sliding taper method? The idea is you drop 2.5% per week for four weeks, to a total of 10%, then hold for 3-6 weeks? It's supposed to be less of a shock to your brain than dropping 10% all at once.

• Administrator

We call that the micro-taper. The idea is you make smaller decreases more often. BUT -- don't go faster than your nervous system allows! If you get withdrawal symptoms when you make a 2.5% taper, it may not be micro enough for your nervous system.

Correct, Prozac is used to bridge off Effexor. I understand the SSRI-SNRI mismatch, but Prozac is what's used and doctors claim it works. If you look at the list of SNRIs, you'll see none is better than Effexor for ease in withdrawal (except for Savella, which is weaker than Effexor, but I've never heard of anyone who's taken it much less tapered off it).

You're saying Effexor is the easiest SNRI to taper from?

• Administrator

Heck, no! All the SNRIs are horrible to taper from. Switching from Effexor to another SNRI is jumping from one frying pan into another.

(Except not much is known about withdrawing from Savella. I heard from a knowledgeable doctor that as a last resort, it's a weaker SNRI and might be used as a bridge off Cymbalta.)

I just wondered what you meant by -

"If you look at the list of SNRIs, you'll see none is better than Effexor for ease in withdrawal"

• Administrator

I should have said "If you look at the list of SNRIs, you'll see all are as bad as Effexor for difficulty in withdrawal."

Oh I get it now lol!

I can feel the 2.5% drop already - I had insomnia last night and feel anxious and jittery today. I suspect I wasn't fully stable from the 5% drop, but I was just so eager to hurry up and drop again that I did it anyway.

If I stay at the current dose for a long time (6 months?) is it possible my nervous system will become less sensitive and subsequent drops will be easier?

• Administrator

Yes, it's possible. You may not have to wait 6 months, it could be 2.5mg once a month is the rate your body can handle.

Well now my plan is to sit on current dose until I feel more stable. Then I'm going to see my Dr about trying the Prozac bridge. 5% drops had me feeling suicidal at one point, and the 2.5% drop was still uncomfortable.

I'm thinking I'm going to try the method I mentioned on the other thread - week one: 5mg Prozac with current Effexor dose; week two: 10mg Prozac with 1/2 Effexor dose; week three: 10mg Prozac. Then stay on Prozac until stable before tapering off.

I'm counting on the fact that I was able to switch from Paxil to Lexapro, and Lexapro to Effexor seamlessly.

• Administrator

That sounds like a reasonable way to do the Prozac switch; it's how I've heard knowledgeable doctors describe it.

Right I've had these symptoms ever since I reinstated Effexor and I have no idea if they are w/d or side effects. I have jaw tremor and electrified/raw nerves. They seem to improve then get worse again over time.

Should I wait for them to go away before attempting Prozac bridge?

I wonder if the problem is the fact I'm using scales, which seem to be unreliable. E.g I measured out 86mg, but when I measured it again later to check accuracy it came out as 75mg!

I've tried calibrating it and using the weight to keep it in mid-range but it's still not great. Something I weighed as 86mg is now showing as 90mg!

I think this is another reason to switch to Prozac. The liquid taper seems much more accurate.