SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

jr1985: Effexor / venlafaxine taper

jr1985

• Administrator

It's impossible to predict how a switch to Prozac will affect those symptoms, jr.

My suspicion is your whole neurological ecology will change.

Do you think the symptoms will go away if you hold at your current dosage?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Alto. I actually updated to 37.5mg again to see if it will help those symptoms. I'm just going to stay on that dose for a while to see how things go. I just feel so impatient, like I need to be back to normal NOW! But I know it's going to take time.

I've been obsessing ove this w/d thing for the past few months, so I'm going to try and take a break from this forum and others I attend, while I try to stabilise on the Effexor.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

Ok after I updosed I woke up feeling worse with restless arms and legs.

It seems ever since my too fast taper from Effexor I've become hypersensitive to serotonin, so any changes I make cause undesirable symptoms. If I stick to the same dose for a while is there a chance this sensitivity will go away?

I know theres no way to be absolutely sure but I just need to know that staying on current dose for too long won't make things worse.

So much for my break...

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Ok after I updosed I woke up feeling worse with restless arms and legs.

It seems ever since my too fast taper from Effexor I've become hypersensitive to serotonin, so any changes I make cause undesirable symptoms. If I stick to the same dose for a while is there a chance this sensitivity will go away?

I know theres no way to be absolutely sure but I just need to know that staying on current dose for too long won't make things worse.

So much for my break...

Jr, you can't just keep jerking the dose around. I did this on my Lyrica taper, and all it did was keep the withdrawal symptoms going longer. The changes I was making were not great, but enough. Making the best guess and staying with it is the way to go. I know this is hard when symptoms do not totally remit, but we have to work with where we are, there is no way round.~S

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

jr, try staying at one dose for a while to see if symptoms at least become predictable. It sounds like 37.5mg is too much.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Right I'll go back to the previous dose and just stay there. I hear what you're saying about jumping around too much, Schuyler. I think I just want to be fixed NOW but I know it doesn't really work that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been on the same dose for a week now, and I have to admit I'm feeling better. The tremors and nerve tingling/burning seem to be easing up, although they're not gone completely yet.

I feel like something has changed in my mental state. Recently, I feel much more confident and talkative with my work colleagues, were before I hardly spoke to anyone because my brain felt "empty" or I'd forget what I was talking about. I suspect this was due to being on the Effexor, so I wonder if being on a smaller dose is making a difference? Maybe I'm seeing a glimmer of my old self.

I've been reading about "medication spellbinding" and I'm beginning to wonder if the problems I had at university were actually caused by the AD's. I just couldn't cope with stress AT ALL.

• Administrator

I don't know about "spellbinding" (I think Breggin means people are convinced the medications are working) but it sounds like slowing down with your taper is what your body wants.

Yes, holding seems to be doing the trick. I still want to switch to Prozac and taper off that because I imagine it will be easier.

Medication spellbinding is when a person doesn't realise the medication is making them worse, due to the side effects which impair judgement. I had a lot of problems in school, like bullying, etc, but I still managed to get through it, and that was before I was on any medication. Then I was put on AD's before I went to university. I had serious problems with memory and concentration, which made me get really stressed out and I couldn't cope.

Well perhaps I spoke too soon. My nerve sensation now feels like pins and needles and my anxiety has gotten worse over the past two days.

Maybe the pins and needles is a sign my nerves are recovering?

As for the anxiety, I suspect it has gotten worse because I found out yesterday that I have to finish my psychology degree by 2015, meaning I have to start it in September, which is much sooner than I thought, and I have to study full time for a few months. I've studied full time before but I wasn't having antidepressant withdrawal symptoms.

• Administrator

Sounds to me like your real-life anxiety set off some withdrawal symptoms.

I'd keep stable on Effexor.

Thanks for replying alto. It's frustrating because I almost felt normal a few days ago and now I feel worse than I have done in a while.

• Administrator

Practicing those meditation and breathing techniques, doing things to soothe your mind might be a good idea right now.

Yes, I was practising mindfulness mediation earlier and found it helpful. Things seem to be calming down now, although they usually do in the evening and flare up in the morning.

• Administrator

That could be due to light sensitivity in the morning. Have you darkened your bedroom, use a sleep mask, etc.?

I can't sleep with a face mask on for some strange reason. I'll look into darkening my room but wont the symptoms flare up as soon as I open the blinds?

The nerve sensation has changed into the burning sensation I had before. It's not so bad really, but it serves as a reminder that I'm still not back to normal since I fast tapered Effexor last November.

How can it be that I'm still not back to normal even after reinstating? I know I haven't helped matters by changing doses so much (I reinstated 37.5mg for 2 weeks, up to 75mg for 2 weeks, down to 37.5mg, then 10% drop, up 5%, down 2.5%, up 2.5%, etc). Why does it have to take so long. I just want to get stable, jump to Prozac and taper slowly (and hopefully more smoothly) off.

My major fear is that I will fall back into the full blown w/d/initial reinstatement symptoms.

I've noticed that after I made a drop I feel great for a few weeks (like REALLY great!) then the w/d symptoms start. It happened when I fast tapered last year, and it happened when I made my 5% drop - I felt great (hypomanic maybe?), followed by w/d, followed by feeling almost normal, followed by some w/d symptoms again. I assume this is what people mean when they have windows and waves? Hopefully, as long as I stay put on my current dose, I will start to have longer windows and shorter waves until I feel normal. Why does it have to take so long though. Does the fact it's been so long mean I'm never going to stablise on the Effexor and I'll have to taper with these symptoms?

Not so good today. I woke up with that awful sensation in my arms and legs. It feels like I have to move to get some relief. I haven't had this since I fast tapered and reinstated in February. Wondering if I need to updose a little bit or keep holding?

• Moderator Emeritus

How can it be that I'm still not back to normal even after reinstating? I know I haven't helped matters by changing doses so much (I reinstated 37.5mg for 2 weeks, up to 75mg for 2 weeks, down to 37.5mg, then 10% drop, up 5%, down 2.5%, up 2.5%, etc). Why does it have to take so long. I just want to get stable, jump to Prozac and taper slowly (and hopefully more smoothly) off.

Could you put the dates you up and down dosed in your sig line.. to the best of your recollection. When you get over the hump, you can take it out, but for now it would help.. I know you are trying.. you have the 2 week intervals but not the time frame for the percentages?

Gosh.. what a lot of work tracking all this is!

Not so good today. I woke up with that awful sensation in my arms and legs. It feels like I have to move to get some relief. I haven't had this since I fast tapered and reinstated in February. Wondering if I need to updose a little bit or keep holding?

Have you tried taking Magnesium at HS, and maybe a tad more (as long as you are not having an adverse effect) later? Magnesium helps relieve mine. It dis not take all away when the awful sensation hit, but it took the edge off for me. I apologize if this is explored further up on your thread.. Hope you feel improved soon. ~S

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Thanks for taking time to reply Schuyler. I've updated my post with the info you asked for.

I actually tried Mg before at varying doses and found it made me feel worse and gave me insomnia. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I think perhaps I was over-reacting, as I'm not really as bad as when I fast tapered. I can still eat, go to work, sleep and I'm not pacing up and down like a crazy person. The nerve sensation does feel worse than usual but not as bad as it had been during fast taper.

• Administrator

jr, I'm sorry to say you may not be able to return to your pre-taper condition no matter how much Effexor you take. Your nervous system has been destabilized and it needs to recover.

Neurologically, you can't step in the same river twice.

I can't say if you should go up or down. It seems so far that holding has been a good idea for you.

Thankd Alto.

Does this mean I could always have these symptoms as long as I remain on Effexor, and won't recover until I get off? Or can some recovery happen as long as I hold?

You know, as I read the threads here I've been getting more and more angry at the lies and incompetence that has caused all of us here to suffer. Just today I read an article that SSRI's deplete the brain of serotonin (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mad-in-america/201011/new-rat-study-ssris-markedly-deplete-brain-serotonin). What else are these drugs doing to us! It feels like while everyone else is oblvious to the dangers of these drugs, and doctors hand them out so willingly, we here have stumbled upon this dirty little secret.

• Administrator

I agree, I wish I'd never had reason to look under this particular rock! But the ugly truth is reality.

jr, for you it's hard to tell what's an adverse reaction to Effexor vs withdrawal syndrome. I don't think anyone can say whether staying on Effexor will cause your symptoms to decrease or not.

If you manage to go off gradually, or if a Prozac bridge is successful, you will gradually heal.

I guess holding for some time is a good idea then because if the symptoms lessen then it's a good chance that they're w/d related. If not, then they're probably sides.

Jr, you sound so much like me as far as your fears and trying to figure out how to get some stability back. I just wanted to say how much I empathize with the turmoil you are going through. You are most definitely not alone.

Self-tapered off Effexor after being on for 9 years around 2001

Medication-free until 2006

In 2006 went through divorce and placed on Celexa 20 mg and p.r.n. clonazepam

Stayed on 20 mg until 2011 when began cutting in half and taking 10 mg (Didn't really notice withdrawal symptoms)

Began to plan to come off in spring/summer 2012, continuing 10 mg Jan/Feb.

Tapered to 5 mg March/April (about 1 week mild withdrawal symptoms).

Tapered to sliver of tablet, estimated 2-2.5 mg in (1-2 weeks of withdrawal symptoms progressively diminishing and then stopping)

May 18, 2012: Stopped Celexa.

July 5, 2012: Reinstated Celexa at 5 mg.

July 13, 2012: Increased Celexa to 10 mg.

August 30, 2012: Increased Celexa 15 mg.

Thanks jfrank, it's nice to know I'm not alone :)

• Moderator Emeritus

I guess holding for some time is a good idea then because if the symptoms lessen then it's a good chance that they're w/d related. If not, then they're probably sides.

Glad to hear you made a decision. It must be hard when you are not sure if it's a side effect or withdrawal. I went thru that with tinnitus (it's withdrawal) and the not knowing made me very uneasy.

Thanks jfrank, it's nice to know I'm not alone :)

I kind of thought the two of you had a page out of the same book. Glad to see you met.

I thought the nerve sensation was akathisia, but now I'm wondering if it's actually paresthesia? It's like a tingling, burning sensation in my arms and legs. When I was in full blown w/d I had to keep moving my arms and legs to get some relief as it felt so bad. It's still there but not as bad now. However, it was not like RLS, which I had while on mirtazapine.

When I read about akathisia during the w/d I was convinced that I was going to get so bad that I'd end up killing myself, which made me feel much much worse.

• Moderator Emeritus

I thought the nerve sensation was akathisia, but now I'm wondering if it's actually paresthesia? It's like a tingling, burning sensation in my arms and legs. When I was in full blown w/d I had to keep moving my arms and legs to get some relief as it felt so bad. It's still there but not as bad now. However, it was not like RLS, which I had while on mirtazapine.

When I read about akathisia during the w/d I was convinced that I was going to get so bad that I'd end up killing myself, which made me feel much much worse.

If during the day, it's akathisia, if at night, RLS. The RLS I get is more like akathisia than RLS. Parasthesias usually have an element of pain, a burning sensation.

I was thinking of seeing the Dr tomorrow about trying the Prozac switch. I was going to wait until completely stable on Effexor, but now I'm thinking why bother if I'm going to have to stabilize on the Prozac anyway.

What is the best way to do it? I was thinking 5mg w/ 35mg Effexor for 3 days, to allow me to gauge how Prozac affects me. Then up to 10mg Prozac, if things go ok, for 4 days, to allow me to reach steady state, and finally drop the Effexor.

Is 10mg likely to be enough for 35mg?

Do you think I'm being too hasty?

Well now my head feels funny and my face feels numb - yey!

I have insomnia now too. First time since this all started.

It was weird. I was working earlier and as I went to get into my car it felt like something in my brain "snapped" and I felt different. Now I've got insomnia, and feel strange.

• Administrator

jr, if I were you, I might go off the Effexor in 2 steps. The rest seems right.

Thanks Alto, what would you recommend?

When will this nightmare end. I felt okish earlier, then I had what felt like a brain zap and I've felt odd ever since. Now I have insomnia. /cry.

• Administrator

Sounds like you had a bad wave.

I'd reduce the Effexor by half the first step, the rest the second step 5 days later.

I hope this goes well for you.

I decided to updose last night, which meant taking 6 more beads, and I took a seroquel to knock me out.

I updosed because I was feeling worse plus I noticed I was having mild brain zaps if I was startled, say by a loud noise. I wasn't having them all the time, but from what I have read brain zaps are bad news.

I was prescribed seroquel a while ago but I never took it regularly, I just took one tonight to knock me out.