SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

jr1985: Effexor / venlafaxine taper

jr1985

I think updosing was a bad idea, my RLS seemed to get worse after I did that. Oh well, I'll know on future that it's better to hold than updose.

I'm still holding on 37.5mg-1 bead. The RLS is gradually easing up. This is usually the point where I want to drop to see if it will fix things, but in the past has only caused problems. So I shall sit on this dose for a while longer to see if the RLS goes away completely. I hate holding, it feels like I'm just sitting wasting time, but I know that's not really true.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm still holding on 37.5mg-1 bead. The RLS is gradually easing up. This is usually the point where I want to drop to see if it will fix things, but in the past has only caused problems. So I shall sit on this dose for a while longer to see if the RLS goes away completely. I hate holding, it feels like I'm just sitting wasting time, but I know that's not really true.

Jr.. why would you think that dropping the dose would fix the symptoms? The most important part of tapering is holding.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Well on the off chance that the symptoms I'm experiencing are side effects, rather than withdrawal. I think I hate holding because it's like putting pause on your taper, whereas actually making cuts feels like you're getting closer to your goal of getting off the drug for good.

But don't worry, I'm going to continue to hold for longer this time.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Of course, the symptoms may not have been withdrawal per se, but neurological instability caused by chopping and changing the doses too much.

• Moderator Emeritus

Well on the off chance that the symptoms I'm experiencing are side effects, rather than withdrawal. I think I hate holding because it's like putting pause on your taper, whereas actually making cuts feels like you're getting closer to your goal of getting off the drug for good.

But don't worry, I'm going to continue to hold for longer this time.

If you did not have RLS before you started to taper, they are withdrawal symptoms. That said, I first had RLS while taking an AD, then again during withdrawal, though what were called RLS when I on ADs were actually hipnic jerks (my knees would kick as I went into stage one sleep and wake me up!).. those I now have periodically during withdrawal are very different (writhing as opposed to jerks). The writhing comes on when I taper at faster rates. Yours are the writing variety?, do you have hipnic jerks as well?

Glad to hear you are resolved to hold! Congrats.

edit 12:06

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Yep, stretches can help RLS. Keep at it, jr!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

"Oops! I did it again". I forgot to bring effexor to work with me again. My mum brought it down to me but it was awkward trying to escape to actually take it.

I'm going to try moving it to 10.30 by pushing it by 30 mins each day until I get there.

• Moderator Emeritus

"Oops! I did it again". I forgot to bring effexor to work with me again. My mum brought it down to me but it was awkward trying to escape to actually take it.

I'm going to try moving it to 10.30 by pushing it by 30 mins each day until I get there.

Posted Image Sounds like a plan! (Been there, forgot that.. changed the dose time by moving 15 mins a day, Oh Yeah)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi jr.. just wondering how you are doing. I'm wondering if you have eliminated dietary triggers of RLS. When you are sensitized, these will play a role. Yesterday I had too much green ice tea!.. which was sweetened with splenda. Sure enough, last night restless arms again. I've eliminated virtually all food additives, and need to jettison splenda once again (a little is okay).

Hi schuyler, I'm doing fine, thanks for asking! Holding seems to be doing the trick.

I managed to go for a while without eating sugar but I've been naughty recently. Cutting it out completely may not be realistic for me, at least right away, but I'll try to not over do it.

I'm going to start pushing the dose forward by 15 mins to reach 10.30pm, starting from today.

I think this tapering/withdrawal business is starting to fade into the background, rather than being a constant obsession that I'm always thinking about. Hopefully, I'll be able to get on with life with the taper going on behind the scenes.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi schuyler, I'm doing fine, thanks for asking! Holding seems to be doing the trick.

I managed to go for a while without eating sugar but I've been naughty recently. Cutting it out completely may not be realistic for me, at least right away, but I'll try to not over do it.

I'm going to start pushing the dose forward by 15 mins to reach 10.30pm, starting from today.

I think this tapering/withdrawal business is starting to fade into the background, rather than being a constant obsession that I'm always thinking about. Hopefully, I'll be able to get on with life with the taper going on behind the scenes.

Not sugar, splenda.. it's a sugar substitute.. but it sounds like you are not using it. Other than that, and avoiding antihistamines, I stay away from prepared foods.

Good to hear you are feeling better, and are getting to be such an old hand at this that it's no longer in the fore front. Good cautious move for the dose!

• Administrator

jr, I'm so glad holding is working for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Just a small update - I've noticed the longer I hold, the more lethargic/spacey/"I couldn't give a care in the world" I become. I noticed this happening before when I first reinstated Effexor - I got more things done while I was in anxiety mode, but as the drug kicked back in I became more and more lethargic. I actually think its a good sign, as I think it shows my nervous system is settling on the drug. Obviously, it's not ideal, but I'm hoping as I begin to taper the lethargy will lift. I'm also more forgetful too, probably because I don't care much about remembering.

The plan is to keep shifting the dose by 15 mins until I get to 10.30pm. Then I'll hold for another week or two and maybe think about removing a bead once per week.

I decided to shift the dose by 30 minutes last night and now my RLS has flared up a little. I assume its an accumulation of all the shifts, as well as the bigger jump last night. I'll make 15 min shifts from now on.

Well the RLS was driving me mad again yesterday, although it eventually settled down in the evening. I decided not to make any more changes to the timing, so I took it at the same time as the day before. I don't feel just as bad today.

I'm going to pause on the time shift until I feel better, then I'll try to shift it 15 mins every few days, rather than every day.

This has me worried a little - if late dosing causes problems then what will it be like when I start to taper the dose! Although, I do wonder if late dosing has a more dramatic (and inconsistent) effect on plasma concentration than dropping the dose slightly would.

Am I right in saying that late dosing with Effexor is basically going cold turkey and reinstating a few minutes/hours later, due to its stupidly short half life? I've had really bad withdrawals, in the past, the day after forgetting a single dose. Yet when I tapered too quickly the withdrawals seemed tame in comparison, until I quit completely. So I'm hoping this proves timing is more dramatic than dose changing.

I would like to hurt the person who approved this drug...

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm going to pause on the time shift until I feel better, then I'll try to shift it 15 mins every few days, rather than every day.

Hi jr.. there could be another variable at work. You may now be sensitized to food additives, and other medications that cause RLS (or, to put this another way, you may be so sensitive as to respond to triggers you would not previously have reacted to). This is what happened to me. I was not aware of this until I found antihistamines caused issues.. then I wondered if there was anything else I was eating or drinking that could play a role. With the help of Google, I found a number of suspect additives. I stopped eating virtually all packaged (processed) foods and drinks... stayed with fresh, frozen, essentially unadulterated food. The one food additive that stood out was splenda, which is found in many 0 calorie foods and drinks on the shelves here in the US.

I was almost as sensitive to moving Lyrica to a later time as you are with the Effexor. I too thought OMG, what if this happens every time I cut. But I held for 10 weeks after which this sort of hyper sensitivity did not recur. But I also had to jettison junk food, all manner of foodstuffs that are not good for us anyhow. :)

• Administrator

This indicates to me that you are very sensitive to changes in Effexor, jr.

Did you hear back from the Mindfreedom people?

This indicates to me that you are very sensitive to changes in Effexor, jr.

Did you hear back from the Mindfreedom people?

But does being sensitive to the timing of the dose mean I'll also be really sensitive to drops in dose? I hope not :( Shuyler seems to say she had problems when she didn't take her Lyrica at the same time, but was ok with dropping the dose once she became stable?

No, I never heard back from them. I'll try contacting again, but the truth is I don't know if I could trust another psychiatrist, even if they are "approved" by mindfreedom.

• Moderator Emeritus

But does being sensitive to the timing of the dose mean I'll also be really sensitive to drops in dose? I hope not :( Shuyler seems to say she had problems when she didn't take her Lyrica at the same time, but was ok with dropping the dose once she became stable?

No, I never heard back from them. I'll try contacting again, but the truth is I don't know if I could trust another psychiatrist, even if they are "approved" by mindfreedom.

Hi jr.. just to clarify, when stable I'm not as sensitive, and the timing of doses becomes less critical. I can take dose reductions now without paying a steep price. It took me 10 weeks to get stable, and during that time I was sensitive to minute variations in the dose (did not have such good syringes at the time and often I was off by as much as + or - 2mgs), and if the suspension was not THOROUGHLY mixed, carnage for a day or so, yet another way the dose can be subtley affected. It seemed like the waves would not end, but I did eventually get stable.. there were 3 main withdrawal symptoms, tinnitus, RLS, and insomnia related to said. Both of the symptoms I had showed up right away, forget lag time!

Hope I did not seem to be harping on the food/additive bit for RLS ad nauseum. It's just that it was something I could do, and jettisoning the junk food really has made a difference. I don't know this would be so for you but if you are a mind to try, you would find out in a few days so don't need to try what may seem like an exotic diet for weeks on end. Promise, I won't ask again! :o

Have you thought any further about going to BID? ... sigh, but for now, you may not want to make any changes. I slowly phased over to QID (the half life of both Lyrica and Requip are very short), and it was not so easy. I think it might be harder for you, but possibly worth a consideration. Maybe Alto would have some thoughts here.

I'm really sorry this has been so hard for you.

Final edit, 6:20PM

Thanks, Shuyler!

I had RLS/akathisia when I first reinstated (really bad) AND after I started jerking the dose around. I never had it while I was holding nor after I made my first 10%, 5% and 2.5% drops. It only seemed to resurface when I was messing around with the dose, and updosing back to 37.5mg made it worse. I'm hoping that once I stabilise I will be able to make tiny drops without triggering it again.

This RLS/akathisia is driving me mad, although I did manage to sleep last night with a 1/4 capsule of arginine. The usual dose of vitamin B6 isn't helping, so I'm trying half a tablet more.

Does this sound like a side effect?

Before reinstating Effexor I had bad anxiety, where I was actually shaking/trembling. The same evening I took citalopram and woke up with akathisia the next morning. I continued taking it for a week beforeI switching back to Effexor. The sensation became more like a burning feeling and I got a jaw tremor, but the symptoms seemed to improve to the point where I could tolerate it after two weeks. I then updosed to 75mg and the horrible sensation came back after two weeks. I dropped back down to 37.5mg. The next day I had a wave of calm come over me and the akathisia improved a lot.

When I dropped 5%, the feeling flared up slightly, but then it gradually got better before returning. I've read that tapering too quickly can make akathisia worse, even if it's a side effect.

It seemed to get worse after I updosed back to 37.5mg. Although it did subside for a while after a few days of holding, but then it came back.

Hey Jr, I had alot of trembling and shaking too... thought i had parkinson's , it's just parts of brain trying to fix themselves..i thought as a robot that is malfunction but will get better... So many side effects from Effexor, but i imagine they are all like this.

2007-2012started Effexor xr 225mg -150mg- Varied2months of Taper,(March 22/2012 Off Med/in W/D)Currently No medicationMarch 22/2012- August 16/2012 - Totally Off Effexor( Rough Rough time) Reinstatement for a week(didn't work)****** New Doctor******* Very nice/helpful and in touch.Tried Zoloft- No successAUGUST 17/2012- STARTED 37.5 EFFEXOR FOR ONE WEEK - NOT GOOD < STOPPED.Started Buspar Oct 11th 2012----10 mg for the first 7 days and then 15mg a day---- Taking a new route----Racing thoughts - Gone.Oct 9th ( Done Zoloft,wellbutrin week project trial to feel better) - OFFICIALLY OFF ANTI DEPRESSANT !Oct 26 - Raised Buspar to 20mg a day- Tolerating wellJan 2nd 2013-

Reduce Buspar until full off march 20th 2015 Off all medication !

Tried natural supplements to no avail

Gluten/sugar free since december 2013

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Shuyler!

I had RLS/akathisia when I first reinstated (really bad) AND after I started jerking the dose around. I never had it while I was holding nor after I made my first 10%, 5% and 2.5% drops. It only seemed to resurface when I was messing around with the dose, and updosing back to 37.5mg made it worse. I'm hoping that once I stabilise I will be able to make tiny drops without triggering it again.

Hi jr.. that is when I got screwed up. I tried to taper by jerking up and down on the dose every other.. BIG mistake. I would take aprox. 225 mgs Lyrica on one day, then 300 the next, etc. YEOWW I was able to do that several times and get away with it (knew no better), but this last go round, carnage. After I was sensitized, the least variation in dose, even as little as by 2 mgs a day when I was at 270 mgs would make me symptomatic. But last month I was able to reduce by 30 mgs over the course of 14 days. Yeah! :) It really did get better.

Got the edit. ;) Yes, I was able to switch the dose from morning to evening with no problems shortly after I reinstated. It seems that jerking the dose around has sensitised me. Right - no more changes! I think BID would be too confusing and give me more things to forget.

As for the junk food, it's good that you're harping on because it makes me listen! ;) I will try and give it up, I did actually manage to cut out junk food for a while, and started eating more fruit, but I've recently slipped up.

• Administrator

jr, we can only hope. Maybe moving the dose caught up with you and you'll be able to move it again soon.

Can someone explain the difference between RLS and akathisia?

From what I understand, RLS is when you need to move your legs to get rid of annoying sensations? Also, RLS generally gets worse at night, when lying down, but it can also occur any time. Whereas, akathisia is an uncontrollable need to move around without annoying sensations, which occurs constantly? Is this correct?

I know it may not seem important what it's called, but I was really terrified when I read akathisia was associated with suicide, so I'm constantly afraid that what I have is akathisa and that it could one day lead me to kill myself! If it was RLS, then it might make me feel better, as it doesn't seem as serious?

• Administrator

The line between the two is not clear, jr. There's a topic about it in Symptoms.

Still holding. The RLS is still here, it's worse in the evening, but I can manage to sleep with it, so it isn't too bad. Just very annoying.

How long do you think I should hold for?

• Administrator

Not sure, how has the progress been since you've been holding?

jr, can you see Dr. David Healy in Wales?

Well I feel ok mentally. Physically the RLS is still here.

I really don't trust these milligram scales! I measured 90mg, then tried measuring it again later on and it was showing as 81mg! I tried calibrating it, I don't know how many times, but the weight kept creeping up from 10.000g,..10.001g...10.002g,.. and so on. I wonder if inaccurate measuring is causing problems. I thought it may be because it's cold, so I left it to warm up but it was still having problems.

I'm going to try counting them from now on. There's approx 300 beads per 75mg, so I'm taking 149 beads, which is 37.5mg-1 bead.

Perhaps the variation due to different sized beads will be less than the variation from the inaccurate scales.

• Moderator Emeritus

it may be worth firstly changing your battery - sometimes that can be a cause of inaccuracy.

i count my beads.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

it may be worth firstly changing your battery - sometimes that can be a cause of inaccuracy.

i count my beads.

I tried changing the battery, no difference.

• Moderator Emeritus

I really don't trust these milligram scales! I measured 90mg, then tried measuring it again later on and it was showing as 81mg! I tried calibrating it, I don't know how many times, but the weight kept creeping up from 10.000g,..10.001g...10.002g,.. and so on. I wonder if inaccurate measuring is causing problems. I thought it may be because it's cold, so I left it to warm up but it was still having problems.

I'm going to try counting them from now on. There's approx 300 beads per 75mg, so I'm taking 149 beads, which is 37.5mg-1 bead.

Perhaps the variation due to different sized beads will be less than the variation from the inaccurate scales.

If it is chaNGING in the .000 g range you should be good.... actually if you have a scale that measures to that range I would be surprised. But if you mean it fluctuates , let's say from 10 g to 11 g to 12g that would be more worrisome. I have the same problem and my scale is a HS lab grade scale.

What kind of scale do you have if I may ask?

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

If it is chaNGING in the .000 g range you should be good.... actually if you have a scale that measures to that range I would be surprised. But if you mean it fluctuates , let's say from 10 g to 11 g to 12g that would be more worrisome. I have the same problem and my scale is a HS lab grade scale.

What kind of scale do you have if I may ask?

It's identical to that American Weigh Scale everyone recommends.

I decided to weigh out 90mg, which brings me close to the amount I need. From those, I counted about 149 beads. I weighed them again and they all came out at the dose I needed.

The RLS was driving me mad again last night, so I took an epsom salt bath (2 tsp - tiny amount!), drunk some tonic water and took a vitamin B6. I woke up feeling so much better this morning. So either those things helped, or it kinda peaked before settling down anyway. We'll see how things go.

Re:Dr Healy, should I just email him?