anchal: Withdrawal even after slow tapering

anchal

I have been on Paroxetine CR for almost 2.5 years, after being diagnosed with OCD and depression induced by it. Cognitive Behavior Therapy also helped and I am completely free of any symtoms for the last 1 year. I had been on Paxil CR 12.5 for over 6 months when I, based on my doctor's recommendation, tried to get off of it. Unfortunately, as I found it out later, the tapering speed recommended by the doctor was not as slow as it should have been. I was off medication in about 5 weeks, following which I had severe withdrawal symptoms; nausea,  irritability, crying spells and whatnot. I had to resume medication (12.5 mg), and It's been six months again, I am completely fine and ready to taper off my medication again.
My question is: will I face the same withdrawal symptoms, and of the same intensity if I taper the way recommended on SA (10% rule)? I hear stories of people "still recovering" having taken their last dose as long as 3 years ago. Also, someone on the forum said that our original OCD symptoms will return after a few months you stop medication. Is that true? Will I have to live with my OCD forever? Someone please clarify. I will be really thankful.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Anchal, 

and welcome on SA.

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences  involved .

On 5/9/2020 at 12:11 PM, anchal said:

Unfortunately, as I found it out later, the tapering speed recommended by the doctor was not as slow as it should have been. I was off medication in about 5 weeks, following which I had severe withdrawal symptoms; nausea,  irritability, crying spells and whatnot.

Unfortunately, as you discovered, doctors know nothing about how to taper carefully these drugs. I'm glad you found us : before attempting a new taper, please take the time to read some good infos

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/

I had to resume medication (12.5 mg), and It's been six months again, I am completely fine and ready to taper off my medication again.

Great news ! It's very important to feel stabilised before continuing a taper. So you don't have symptoms left ?

My question is: will I face the same withdrawal symptoms, and of the same intensity if I taper the way recommended on SA (10% rule)?

Unfortunately, nobody can predict how will a taper goes, and which symptoms you'll have. However, the purpose of a very slow taper is to keep symptoms minimal and be able to go on with your life.

Some people find out they 10% is too much for them, but do fine with 5% or 3% drops. During this journey, we have to listen to our bodies :)

Also, someone on the forum said that our original OCD symptoms will return after a few months you stop medication. Is that true? 

Yes, it is possible. Medication don't cure anxiety, it only hides it. Weaning off a drug also means learning new coping skills, non-drug coping skills (mindfullness, breathing, CBT, ...).

If you take a look at this section, you'll discover great tips :

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/

--> Question : are you using tablets or liquid Paxil ?

I would like you complete your drug signature by clicking on the link below

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

I understand that you have given the info in you posts above but this will appear below every post you make, and allow the Mods to see your history at a glance.

If you have difficulty just inform me and I will  help.

This is a very long post : take your time to read it , and feel free to ask all the questions you might have :)

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Take Care ❤️

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

And another question

Are you taking anything else : supplements, benzo, ... ?

Take care ❤️

Edited by Erell

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• ChessieCat changed the title to anchal: Withdrawal even after slow tapering