Trev90: paroxetine self taper feeling awful

Trev90

Trev90

I have been on 40mg of Paxil for a year and a half. Went on that when I first went to detox for meth addiction. I’m a year and half clean. Everyone is depressed when they first get off drugs. So an antidepressant seemed right at the time. I was only 30 mg when I left treatment and my doctor increased it to 40 mg when I got out because I decided to go off Remeron because it made me too groggy. When I’m not at work I am sleeping. I sleep all weekend and end up feeling guilty about it and feel like I’m not living life to the fullest and missing out on things. It’s also caused me to gain weight which isn’t too much of a deal being the weight looks good on me. But the tiredness all the time and constantly needing a nap got to be too much. So I started cutting my 40s in half about two weeks ago. Took 20mg for 5 nights then took 10mg for three nights then discontinued. It’s been about a week since I took the last dose and I have had terrible vivid nightmares every night I’ve been off of it. I am miserable. I feel super anxious, my skin is oily and I’ve had brain zaps terrible. This is how I felt when I would withdraw from meth but worse. I can’t go through another night like I’ve been doing so I had to take a 20mg tonight to try and get back on it. I wasn’t aware that it was this hard to come off this drug. I want to just get back up to my normal 40mg dose until I can see a doctor and not feel like this anymore. Will I have to be on this medication forever ? How long would I feel like this if I decided to continue on withdrawing ? It’s a scary thought. I’m 29 years old and don’t want to be on an antidepressant. I really feel like I could be happy and mentally stable without an antidepressant but now I feel trapped. Any help would be appreciated. I don’t know what to do from here. I hope I haven’t damaged myself by putting myself through the withdraw for the couple days I’ve been without it. I could possibly deal with it if I was confident this wouldn’t last long. 

Edited by Gridley

Jan 2019 - Start 10mg Paxil, 15mg Remeron

Feb 2019 - Increased to 20mg Paxil

Mar 2019 - Increased to 30mg Paxil

Apr 2019 - d/c Remeron, Increased to 40mg Paxil

1 Jun 2020 - d/c Paxil, suffered for a week

7 Jun 2020 - reinstated 40 mg Paxil, bad idea

9 Jun 2020 - 20mg Paxil and holding

Current - Figuring out my next move

(I also take a NRTI and I take both medications at bedtime)

• ChessieCat changed the title to Trev90: Paroxetine self taper feeling awful
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Trev90.

I've brought your situation to the attention of the administrators and other moderators.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Administrator

Welcome, Trev.

If I were you, I might try 5mg Paxil immediately to reinstate, as a stopgap for a few days. We've seen a low dose is often enough to stop withdrawal symptoms. You'd take it every day at the same time each day. Let us know what happens.

After that, I might get a prescription for liquid Prozac. Paxil can be very difficult to taper off. I would cross-taper to 5mg Prozac instead, stabilize for some months, then very gradually taper off. For background, see The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I really messed up. After being off Paxil completely for about a week, I reinstated with the 40mg tablets. This was a bad idea. I have had restless legs, grinding my teeth, and I almost feel high but it’s a dirty high if that makes any sense.  I bit my tongue in my sleep which woke me up in terrible pain. I also have been confused about where I’m at when I wake up or what I’m doing at work.   I have however been able to sleep without the terrible night-long nightmares.   I feel so dumb for not being more educated on this drug and just thinking I would be able to come off it so freely. 

My doctor’s nurse called me back today and suggested that I take 20mg and she called me in a rx for that. I’m going to get it tomorrow and take half of the 40mg tonight. I have an appointment to see my doctor next week. That’s why I’m trying to get some ideas about what I want to do. I like to Prozac idea. Do you mean cross-taper as stopping Paxil all together and starting Prozac or take them both at the same time? Like 5mg Paxil and 5mg Prozac? Also, why the liquid? I really appreciate you getting back to me. I will read the article you suggested . 

• Administrator

I would call them back and ask for liquid Prozac so you can titrate up. Taking a small amount is much easier with the liquid.

We often see that reinstating at a high dose causes a bad reaction, that's why we recommend a very low dose. Since you had this bad reaction, I might start with 0.5mg Prozac -- 1/2 milligram.

In the meantime, hang in for a few days to let the Paxil wear off. I would not take anything else, you have too much Paxil in you now.

I would not engage them in a long discussion about withdrawal, very few doctors know anything about it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

Trev, were you able to get liquid Prozac?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, sorry for the long delay.  No, I did not get the liquid Prozac.  I have been taking the 20mg Paxil that my doctor called in for me.  I had an in person visit scheduled with her but the day before I got a phone call stating she resigned.  So now I'm waiting to be called for reassignment of a doctor.  I am feeling better than I was being off of the Paxil.  My teeth are clenched a lot now.  I just gave my doctor's office a call to reschedule my doctor appointment.  I will be asking for liquid Prozac.  What would you recommend I take when I switch.  I mean what dosage.  Do you think the withdrawal effects will be less severe with Prozac?  Thanks for reaching out.  I really appreciate you. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing Trev ?

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m doing okay. Just finding out that my constant uncontrollable mouth movements are probably a result of being on Paxil for the 18 months I’ve been on it. Will this go away once I finally get off Paxil? I thought it may have been from methamphetamine use in my past. Anyway, I’m calling my doctor’s office on Monday to get liquid Prozac like you suggested before. I’m ready to start this process with everyone’s help. Is there a certain amount that I ask for? Do I just say liquid Prozac? Would a benzo be helpful in combating the withdrawal effects from Paxil? I’m in recovery from methamphetamine but I feel like I could take the benzo short term and be okay. Thank you all. 

Trev

Forgot to mention I’m now on Paxil 20mg for the past two months. Down from 40mg. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Trev90: paroxetine self taper feeling awful
  • Moderator Emeritus

It is not generally a good idea to add a benzo to the mix.

I will ask the other mods for their assistance.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
12 hours ago, Trev90 said:

Forgot to mention I’m now on Paxil 20mg for the past two months. Down from 40mg. 

Since you dropped to 20mg, how do you feel ? how did your symptoms evolve?

12 hours ago, Trev90 said:

Anyway, I’m calling my doctor’s office on Monday to get liquid Prozac like you suggested before. I’m ready to start this process with everyone’s help. Is there a certain amount that I ask for? Do I just say liquid Prozac? 

have you read this topic ?  https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/19373-the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-prozac/

here is the advice Altostrata gave you

On 5/23/2020 at 2:57 AM, Altostrata said:

Since you had this bad reaction, I might start with 0.5mg Prozac -- 1/2 milligram.

Take care 

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Administrator

Trev, how did your symptoms change when you reduced from 40mg to 20mg?

On 5/22/2020 at 5:57 PM, Altostrata said:

Since you had this bad reaction, I might start with 0.5mg Prozac -- 1/2 milligram.

This was from when Trev went off Paxil completely. Now that Trev went from 40mg to 20mg, if Trev is having withdrawal symptoms, it might be better to supplement the Paxil with perhaps 5mg Prozac, in the first stage of a gradual crossover from Paxil to Prozac.

After being off completely for a week, I reinstated with 40mg. The next day and from there on out I have only taken 20mg. My withdrawal symptoms went away. Makes me wonder if I could go down even further of a dose? I have 20mg tablets. Think I could handle taking half for a 10mg dose? 

• Administrator

I don't know. I wouldn't play around with Paxil dosage. If 20mg seems to be working, stick with it.

With your history, I would be very, very careful going off Paxil.

But my goal is to be off of it completely and never take any psychiatric drug again. I am so upset at how this isn’t covered when doctors put you on this. Is your suggestion for doing this to cross taper to Prozac? Thanks for your help, btw.