aclb: Withdrawal symptoms from Sertraline - how do go next?

aclb

Hi, 

I've taken sertraline 50mg for approx 1,5 years due to a severe depression (suicidal), and with doctor's prescription started to withdraw a month ago. At the time being I was not fully aware of the tapering symptoms one might have, as I've never done it before and my doctor did not inform me. However, she prescribed 25mg for me to start with the next day (and therefore going from 50mg to 25 mg in one day) something I had 'physical' symptoms straight away from during the first week (head ache, dizziness, lack of balance etc). The mental symptoms have been sneaking up during these 4 weeks, now being emotionally labile, with great anxiety and depression-vibes combined with sudden high tops. According to by doctor's prescription I'm supposed to be at 0 mg tomorrow :) that does not feel very well. 

My question is how to go next - my aim still being to one day be fully free from my AD: should I go back to 50mg and withdraw the medicine controlled and by 10%? Or should I accept this altered mood at 25mg and step-by-step go from here down to 0mg?

Sorry if I'm writing in the wrong forum, I'm just eager for information and advice in my situation... 

Edited by Gridley
  • ChessieCat changed the title to aclb: Withdrawal symptoms from Sertraline - how do go next?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, aclb.  You are waiting in the right forum.

I have a few questions before I can make a recommendation about what to do next.  You can be drug-free but it has to be done slowly and carefully.

What is your current dosage?  Are you at zero? When was the last time you took 25mg?  Are you still alternating doses between 50 and 25?

Alternate day dosing is a terrible way to taper.  It causes the amount of the drug in your bloodstream to go up and down, battering your nervous system and making withdrawal worse.

You are experiencing withdrawal from the too-fast taper.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can answer my questions, ask your own questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.  Please answer my questions and we can continue from there.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you for your welcoming and fast response!

Today I am at 25 mg, and the last time I had 50 mg was the 20th of April. My doctor told me to have 25 mg every other day after two weeks of 25 mg, which I tried for maybe four days until I felt that "this is not happening". She then prescribed me another 30 pills of 25 mg (which I am currently on). My last 0 mg-day was Thursday, and today being Sunday I feel a lot more stabilized.